(Topic ID: 252586)

Anyone going to see "Joker" this weekend?

By hAbO

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 122 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by hAbO
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“Anyone going to see "Joker" this weekend?”

• Yes! I cant wait! 29 votes
    35%
  • Yes! but Im waiting for on-demand, cable, DVD. 26 votes
    31%
  • No, Im not digging what I see in the previews. 18 votes
    21%
  • No, I don't like super-hero movies. 11 votes
    13%

(84 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tenor.gif
tumblr_86ccd3580a009e5de8ec90cb1434fe13_ec689375_540.gif
8A5D544B-C7EA-45DA-8403-84634C6857F5 (resized).jpeg
bigtroubleinlittlechina_translite (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
giphy.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider isochronic_frost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

My wife and I usually wait to see movies at home but shes a big Joaquin Phoenix fan. She hates superhero type movies to boot. Were catching a matinee this weekend sometime. Joaquin Phoenix's portrayal looks pretty interesting also although Heath Ledger performance is iconic.
Anyone not seeing it in a theater because of the warnings of possible "violence by glory seekers". My wife had to school me on what an "Incel" is by the way.
https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/9/18/20860890/joker-movie-controversy-incel-sjw
[quoted image]

Incels have been the new buzzword on TV.
Just to mention, VOX is not a journalism outfit. They are on par with gutterfilth like Buzzfeed and Salon.
Just backwash “I’m going to be offended for you” and other overtly racist nonsense. These people are the college kids that took “gender studies” and “academic feminism” and now they write freelance articles online as their only source of income other than their barista/Whole Foods gig

I despise these people and how they’ve gutted the field of journalism, and wish we could go back to “real news” it all seems like gossip now.

Back to the main topic. I think this looks like the first good movie DC has put out in a few years. From the first trailer I was pretty excited. The Joker has always been a bit of a social commentary foil to Batman. Society can burn you out and make you strive to be an impossibly “good” moral figure or you can succumb to it and become the sadistic, unfeeling sociopath of Joker.
It’s a story that reflects society today, and the hysterical, paradoxical nature of truly being “good” or “evil”.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

At first I rolled my eyes at yet another reboot (after all, I don't think anyone could top Heath Ledger's Joker), but based on the trailers, it seems like it might be interesting, so I'll probably see it at some point.
I never go opening weekend. I'll usually wait a few weeks then go sometime on a weeknight when it's less crowded.

Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Truth. Untoppable performance.

I agree but JP looks like he’s really, really gonna give it his all. I hope this is truly a nitty, gritty movie and not all fluff.

#43 4 years ago

I really didn’t enjoy it, I think it was entertaining but far from the “ultra-violent, killer-glorifying” movie they peddled. Joaquin’s wasted on a shallow portrayal of the Joker. It was more like the True Crime version. If you like realistic movies then it was good, if you were a fan of the comics... or if you expect an origin for an insane Joker like Ledger in TDK then you’re gonna be disappointed.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider isochronic_frost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-going-to-see-joker?tu=isochronic_frost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.