(Topic ID: 252586)

Anyone going to see "Joker" this weekend?

By hAbO

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 122 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by hAbO
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“Anyone going to see "Joker" this weekend?”

• Yes! I cant wait! 29 votes
    35%
  • Yes! but Im waiting for on-demand, cable, DVD. 26 votes
    31%
  • No, Im not digging what I see in the previews. 18 votes
    21%
  • No, I don't like super-hero movies. 11 votes
    13%

(84 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tenor.gif
tumblr_86ccd3580a009e5de8ec90cb1434fe13_ec689375_540.gif
8A5D544B-C7EA-45DA-8403-84634C6857F5 (resized).jpeg
bigtroubleinlittlechina_translite (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
giphy.gif
There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 4 years ago

My wife and I usually wait to see movies at home but shes a big Joaquin Phoenix fan. She hates superhero type movies to boot. Were catching a matinee this weekend sometime. Joaquin Phoenix's portrayal looks pretty interesting also although Heath Ledger performance is iconic.

Anyone not seeing it in a theater because of the warnings of possible "violence by glory seekers"? My wife had to school me on what an "Incel" is by the way.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/9/18/20860890/joker-movie-controversy-incel-sjw
giphy.gifgiphy.gif

#2 4 years ago

I'll probably wait a few weeks to avoid the crowds. I'm excited to see this film I am a big Joaquin Phoenix fan and a Joker fan. I thought no one would ever come close to Heath Ledger's performance but I think Joaquin Phoenix has a shot

#3 4 years ago

I've been slowly gaining enthusiasm for the movie. Now, I'm pumped however I loath going to the theaters with tons of people anymore. There's too many rude, inconsiderate chuckle heads. I'm probably getting to be that get off my porch old guy now.

#4 4 years ago

No, but I’ll see this at some point.

I don’t like most super hero movies but this jus doesn’t look like a super hero movie.

#5 4 years ago

No. Theaters in my area don't have late enough shows anymore on Sunday night when I used to be able to take in a movie.

I do have high hopes this changes for Zombieland Double Tap and Midway.

LTG : )

#6 4 years ago

I'm going to try to go on Saturday but may not feel like doing anything since I'm working overtime and it's my one day off. I always find it funny when the media and government bureaucrats take 4chan memes seriously, especially when they come from /tv/.

#7 4 years ago

The previews haven’t done much for me, though I’m looking forward to the reviews and what everybody else thinks

#8 4 years ago

If the rotten tomatoes AUDIENCE likes it, I’ll rent it when goes to redbox.

#9 4 years ago

God no, DC = instant pass.

#10 4 years ago

Why so serious gentleman?

Movie looks awesome. A unique take on the Joker. Not connected to standard DC Universe. Great director. Joaquin Phoenix is an outstanding actor. I'm really interested to see what they've come up with. Would be nice to see a few nods to The Killing Joke with this origin story. I expect it to be pretty disturbing & start a lot of conversations. Potential to surpass Heath Ledger's performance.

I'll be there Saturday.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Anonymouse:

I always find it funny when the media and government bureaucrats take 4chan memes seriously, especially when they come from /tv/.

This.

The fact that the media is trying to deter people from seeing it makes me want to see it more. They only tell you what they want you to hear.....they don't like something about this film....I guess it goes against the current agenda they are trying to push. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a false flag.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Movie looks awesome.

THey should give an Oscar to the trailer, it's great.

I can;t think of a Tod Phillips "great" movie or even interesting since Old School, and I can;t think of a Jauquine one at all....although I know the Johnny Cash one was liked.

I like having all the diff'rent jokers and appreciate their differences. I thought Leto's take was great too.

#13 4 years ago

My bad I was thinking of a different director.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

If rotten tomatoes likes it, I’ll rent it when goes to redbox.

Rottentomatoes confirmed complete irrelevance when they let the social justice warrior "top critics" give Dave Chappelle's brilliant new special 0% fresh because they were offended FOR OTHERS. Once audience reviews were allowed, they rated it with a 99% like. Allowing that 0% to happen from "top critics" is a fail for a site that lives and dies by critical ratings. Even adding in the rest of the critics that came on later, those "top critics" kept the score at like 33%, which is ridiculous.

But no. No plans to see Joker. Seems very self-congratulatory from the previews.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Rottentomatoes confirmed complete irrelevance when they let the social justice warrior "top critics" give Dave Chappelle's brilliant new special 0% fresh because they were offended FOR OTHERS. Once audience reviews were allowed, they like 99%. Allowing that 0% to happen from "top critics" is a fail for a site that lives and dies by critical ratings. Even adding in the rest of the critics that came on later, those "top critics" kept the score at like 33%, which is ridiculous.
But no. No plans to see Joker. Seems very self-congratulatory from the previews.

Need to clarify. Audience score means much more than the critics. If the critics hate but audience loves it, it’s a must see!

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Rottentomatoes confirmed complete irrelevance when they let the social justice warrior "top critics" give Dave Chappelle's brilliant new special 0% fresh because they were offended FOR OTHERS. Once audience reviews were allowed, they like 99%. Allowing that 0% to happen from "top critics" is a fail for a site that lives and dies by critical ratings. Even adding in the rest of the critics that came on later, those "top critics" kept the score at like 33%, which is ridiculous.

It's sad, it shows that certain people will stop at nothing to push their agenda including outright censorship. Nothing new to see here. Move along.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Need to clarify. Audience score means much more than the critics. If the critics hate but audience loves it, it’s a must see!

If that wasn't clear, then thanks. Yes, the audience score from a LOT of people is close to a perfect 100%. The point I was trying to make is RT should have not used those "top critic" reviews since the reason for their 0% was LITERALLY only that they were Social Justice Warriors offended for themselves or others. No judgment of the content being funny or not. Unacceptable. The special deserves the 99% audience score, if not a perfect 100%. It's an amazing critique of our current society while being VERY funny at the same time.

How does this tie to Joker? Well, the REASON the director, Todd Phillips, decided to get out of very successful comedy movies is the social justice movement made it impossible to do irreverent comedy. He literally said "fuck this shit" to woke culture and moved to making an irreverent comic book movie.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/davidmack/todd-phillips-joker-woke-culture-comedy

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Jauquine one at al

Gladiator is phenomenal.... He did a great job of making you hate him.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#19 4 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Gladiator is phenomenal.... He did a great job of making you hate him.[quoted image]

Well that's not acting, he's easy to hate

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

It's sad, it shows that certain people will stop at nothing to push their agenda including outright censorship.

"Stop at nothing" = "post a critical review" = "censorship"
I lament the fact that logic is out of vogue in certain circles.
I'll probably see it after opening weekend, unless someone in the family wants to see it more than I do.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

My wife and I usually wait to see movies at home but shes a big Joaquin Phoenix fan. She hates superhero type movies to boot. Were catching a matinee this weekend sometime. Joaquin Phoenix's portrayal looks pretty interesting also although Heath Ledger performance is iconic.
Anyone not seeing it in a theater because of the warnings of possible "violence by glory seekers". My wife had to school me on what an "Incel" is by the way.
https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/9/18/20860890/joker-movie-controversy-incel-sjw
[quoted image]

Incels have been the new buzzword on TV.
Just to mention, VOX is not a journalism outfit. They are on par with gutterfilth like Buzzfeed and Salon.
Just backwash “I’m going to be offended for you” and other overtly racist nonsense. These people are the college kids that took “gender studies” and “academic feminism” and now they write freelance articles online as their only source of income other than their barista/Whole Foods gig

I despise these people and how they’ve gutted the field of journalism, and wish we could go back to “real news” it all seems like gossip now.

Back to the main topic. I think this looks like the first good movie DC has put out in a few years. From the first trailer I was pretty excited. The Joker has always been a bit of a social commentary foil to Batman. Society can burn you out and make you strive to be an impossibly “good” moral figure or you can succumb to it and become the sadistic, unfeeling sociopath of Joker.
It’s a story that reflects society today, and the hysterical, paradoxical nature of truly being “good” or “evil”.

#22 4 years ago

...don't make me laugh...

#23 4 years ago

I’m totally going to see it. But I’ll confess that my initial enthusiasm was tempered when I realized it wasn’t Daniel Day Lewis but Joaquin Phoenix. The first time I saw the preview I wasn’t paying attention, and I totally thought it was DDL.

And I like JP, I just thought DDL could have - if anyone could - rival Heath Ledgers creation.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:"Stop at nothing" = "post a critical review" = "censorship"
I lament the fact that logic is out of vogue in certain circles.
I'll probably see it after opening weekend, unless someone in the family wants to see it more than I do.

Critical reviews? Last I checked some theaters refused to show it. When's the last time a movie has triggered people this much?

I lament the fact that people's perception of reality is clouded by biases.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I’m totally going to see it. But I’ll confess that my initial enthusiasm was tempered when I realized it wasn’t Daniel Day Lewis but Joaquin Phoenix. The first time I saw the preview I wasn’t paying attention, and I totally thought it was DDL.
And I like JP, I just thought DDL could have - if anyone could - rival Heath Ledgers creation.

DDL is a great actor, no doubt. But at 62 he's a bit old for an "origin" story.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

Critical reviews? Last I checked some theaters refused to show it. When's the last time a movie has triggered people this much?

The Warriors. At least in So Cal. VERY controversial at the time, and outright refusal to show it or cops posted at all showings for theatres that had it. Still had gang violence anyway.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The Warriors. At least in So Cal....

Colors. I'm sure a BIG hit in So Cal

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

DDL is a great actor, no doubt. But at 62 he's a bit old for an "origin" story.

I think he’s retired as well.

#29 4 years ago

At first I rolled my eyes at yet another reboot (after all, I don't think anyone could top Heath Ledger's Joker), but based on the trailers, it seems like it might be interesting, so I'll probably see it at some point.

I never go opening weekend. I'll usually wait a few weeks then go sometime on a weeknight when it's less crowded.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The Warriors. At least in So Cal. VERY controversial at the time, and outright refusal to show it or cops posted at all showings for theatres that had it. Still had gang violence anyway.

Dude, a classic. A pin needs to be made based on warriors, big trouble in little China and road warrior/mad max

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:the media is trying to deter people from seeing it
Quoted from Djshakes:

Last I checked some theaters refused to show it. When's the last time a movie has triggered people this much?

1979: life of brian
2004: the passion of the christ

here is a terrific documentary about the making of, and controversy surrounding, life of brian. the last few minutes feature comments from Terry Jones, Terry Gilliam, and John Clesse [starting at 49:43]. they are discussing societal changes/beliefs, but could just as easily be epitomizing pinside.

JONES: "maybe it is being offensive to them, because it is making fun of people who dont think for themselves. and thats exactly what the whole film is about. so i think its quite right for people who dont think for themselves to get upset about it."

GILLIAM: "now theres so many groups all demanding - dont offend, dont cause .. it goes on and on"

JONES: "when you suddenly have to think to yourself, now can i write this cause maybe ill be offending somebody ... its ridiculous"

GILLIAM: "i dont understand, well i do understand, but i dont want to accept, a world of such paranoia and such thin-skin and [the] offense of causing offense is the greatest crime you can do to somebody"

JONES: "its just terrifying whats happening, and very very dangerous. i think free speech is really under attack in a very devious way"

CLEESE: "... you realize the world is a madhouse and that most people are operating in fantasy anyway. so once you begin to realize that, it doesnt bother you very much"

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

Dude, a classic. A pin needs to be made based on warriors, big trouble in little China and road warrior/mad max

Sure, any of those would be great pins, but I'd prefer Big Trouble in Little China first. Throw in a Dreamscape while you're at it. They're remaking that one, so maybe a chance...

bigtroubleinlittlechina_translite (resized).jpgbigtroubleinlittlechina_translite (resized).jpg
#33 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Sure, any of those would be great pins, but I'd prefer Big Trouble in Little China first. Throw in a Dreamscape while you're at it. They're remaking that one, so maybe a chance...[quoted image]

I’d love to take the pork chop express for a spin

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I don't think anyone could top Heath Ledger's Joker

Truth. Untoppable performance.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

At first I rolled my eyes at yet another reboot (after all, I don't think anyone could top Heath Ledger's Joker), but based on the trailers, it seems like it might be interesting, so I'll probably see it at some point.
I never go opening weekend. I'll usually wait a few weeks then go sometime on a weeknight when it's less crowded.

Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Truth. Untoppable performance.

I agree but JP looks like he’s really, really gonna give it his all. I hope this is truly a nitty, gritty movie and not all fluff.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

Critical reviews? Last I checked some theaters refused to show it.

As far as I know, the only theater refusing to show it is in Aurora, CO. You know, the theater that was the scene of a mass shooting during a Batman movie. Understandable, in my mind.
And, again, that is not censorship. I refuse to screen "Paul Blart: Mall Cop" at my house. Not censorship. I could protest the showing of "Paul Blart" at the city rec center. Also not censorship. If I got the city government to ban showing "Paul Blart" inside city limits? Now it's censorship. You will note that there is no one doing that.

Quoted from Djshakes:

I imagine, when one is inclined to believe in "false flag" operations at comic book movies, that the world looks like a very strange and scary place.

Getting back to the topic at hand, JP is a damned good actor, and the trailer looks good. Hopefully, they can make him sympathetic without playing him up as a hero, or even an anti-hero. He's a chaotic nihilist and the most effective portrayal so far(Heath's) did not shy away from that.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

As far as I know, the only theater refusing to show it is in Aurora, CO. You know, the theater that was the scene of a mass shooting during a Batman movie. Understandable, in my mind.
And, again, that is not censorship. I refuse to screen "Paul Blart: Mall Cop" at my house. Not censorship. I could protest the showing of "Paul Blart" at the city rec center. Also not censorship. If I got the city government to ban showing "Paul Blart" inside city limits? Now it's censorship. You will note that there is no one doing that.

I imagine, when one is inclined to believe in "false flag" operations at comic book movies, that the world looks like a very strange and scary place.
Getting back to the topic at hand, JP is a damned good actor, and the trailer looks good. Hopefully, they can make him sympathetic without playing him up as a hero, or even an anti-hero. He's a chaotic nihilist and the most effective portrayal so far(Heath's) did not shy away from that.

The Joker as nihilist is worth exploring. I haven’t given much thought to Nihilism lately, but the Jokers actions seem to suggest that he has an agenda of some kind, or a point to make. Does he really not care about anything? Maybe he doesn’t. But I’m not so sure. This prequel may spell it out for us, for better or worse.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

God no, DC = instant pass.

I've always was a "Marvel" comic kid growing but I had a few DC favorites like Swamp Thing, Batman, Teen Titans so I'm open to the movies if they're good. I like the dark gritty take on super heroes. I don't know all the story lines with the Joker in the DC universe though.

Of all the Joker portrayals, I didn't like Jered Leto's for some reason.

JP has been nominated for an Oscar 3 times but never won. He was great in Gladiator and freaking phenomenal as Johnny Cash.

#40 4 years ago

Looks really interesting.

The gloomy dysthropic feeling, seems similar to his you were never really here.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

I've always was a "Marvel" comic kid growing but I had a few DC favorites like Swamp Thing, Batman, Teen Titans so I'm open to the movies if they're good. I like the dark gritty take on super heroes.

Didn't grow up a fan of any of them really; I've read/owned like 5 comic books in my life, but of course one is DKR so I'm with you in the gritty depressing shit.

The real issue is that the DC movies are just totally fucking horrible & unwatchable bad. Really has nothing to do with characters because I'd rather watch the DC peeps and by far the DC villains I like more.

#42 4 years ago

Looks like Joker did very well this weekend. A couple friends went to see it and they said it was the best movie they've seen all year. I'll find out tomorrow

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4552&p=.htm

#43 4 years ago

I really didn’t enjoy it, I think it was entertaining but far from the “ultra-violent, killer-glorifying” movie they peddled. Joaquin’s wasted on a shallow portrayal of the Joker. It was more like the True Crime version. If you like realistic movies then it was good, if you were a fan of the comics... or if you expect an origin for an insane Joker like Ledger in TDK then you’re gonna be disappointed.

#44 4 years ago

I liked it. Not set up well for a sequel, though I could see how it could be done. I liked the portrayal of Joker. Sympathetic without being heroic(though, in universe, he was definitely revered by some as a hero).
Some might consider this to be a minor spoiler, so quit reading, yadda yadda....
There is some debate as to how much of the movie actually happened(in universe). I thought that this was well crafted.

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Looks like Joker did very well this weekend. A couple friends went to see it and they said it was the best movie they've seen all year. I'll find out tomorrow
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4552&p=.htm

I guess they didn't watch Dragged Across Concrete.

#46 4 years ago

I really liked it, but my favorite joker is still and probably will always be jack nicholson

#47 4 years ago

I find the wide array of opinions on this movie fascinating. Each viewer has their own personal interpretation of what they saw, and it varies greatly. When I first saw it I thought it was phenomenal, but the more I think about it, it's a fricking masterpiece.

* Some people watched it & found it to be a slow boring story with little action. A superhero movie that missed the mark.
* Some people watched it & took the entire movie at face value. A straight forward look at a violent & twisted Joker origin story.
* Some people watched it & projected their own real world political biases onto the story regarding today's violence/guns, mental illness, the rich, incels, etc.
* Some people watched it & questioned everything they saw, realizing that nothing in the film is truly what it seems. A great drama deserving best film of the year, on par with classics like Taxi Driver.

It's a unique film that means something different to everyone who sees it. Which probably explains why the director & Phoenix refuse to answer questions about the film. They want to let the viewer to decide. It's a movie that really requires multiple viewings. I can't wait to see it again. I'd love to discuss it more but I don't want to ruin for those who haven't seen it.

#48 4 years ago

Finally saw it last night and kinda loved it. The story was great and acting by JP pretty f'ing awesome. I liked the look of the movie also with it taking place in the late 70's early 80's. Even if the movie was about a character that was not the "Joker" it would have made a really great film about a tortured soul. Its a "slow burn" type of movie with a slightly slower pace that some with short attention spans might not be used to. There's lots of underlying messages in the movie that can be taken many ways as HoakyPoaky mentioned. Definitely worth a watch.

#49 4 years ago

I enjoyed it and thought it was a really good movie, I probably would have enjoyed it more if it wasn't called The Joker because ...well it wasn't The Joker.
I felt the same way about Starship Troopers and World War Z

#50 4 years ago

Jesus! Now THAT'S a movie worth getting pissed over. The book was phenomenal, and the movie was beyond stupid.

There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-going-to-see-joker?hl=javagrind888 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.