(Topic ID: 252586)

Anyone going to see "Joker" this weekend?

By hAbO

3 months ago

Topic Stats

• 121 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by Rager170
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“Anyone going to see "Joker" this weekend?”

• Yes! I cant wait! 29 votes
    35%
  • Yes! but Im waiting for on-demand, cable, DVD. 25 votes
    30%
  • No, Im not digging what I see in the previews. 18 votes
    22%
  • No, I don't like super-hero movies. 10 votes
    12%

(82 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

tenor.gif
tumblr_86ccd3580a009e5de8ec90cb1434fe13_ec689375_540.gif
8A5D544B-C7EA-45DA-8403-84634C6857F5 (resized).jpeg
bigtroubleinlittlechina_translite (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
giphy.gif

There are 121 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 3 months ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I saw it, I liked it. It wasnt what I was expecting. Semi spoiler, I think the real ending of the movie took place in his kitchen.

I hadn't heard that one before, but it's another valid argument. When he did that I thought "Oh man that's a really bad idea". Pretty sure that fridge had the old school handle on the front of it. Looks like I need to see it again now. haha

#102 3 months ago

yea, the movie never really shows him coming out of the fridge. Just going in. Then clips to another scene. There must be some relevance to that fridge scene to something.

3 weeks later
#103 77 days ago

Most intense movie ever! Not a single moment of comic relief - no mental breaks in this one. The director did a great job of having an entire movie about clowns and not a single funny moment.

No doubt - the best acted joker ever. Dark even by Batman standards. Well Done!

#104 75 days ago

I really enjoyed it and cant wait to see it again to pick up on things I missed.

3 weeks later
#105 50 days ago

Anyone else saw it 6 times ?

"Is it me or is it getting crazy out there ?"

#106 50 days ago
Quoted from MPRAMONE:

Anyone else saw it 6 times ?

"Is it me or is it getting crazy out there ?"

I saw it once and thought it was one of the longest, slowest movies of my life. I love Joaquin Phoenix and thought he did a great job, but I thought the movie was pretty terrible overall until about the last 30 minutes. I was excited to go see it, and was ready to walk out after about 30 minutes. I felt like the movie was trying to explain mental health to young children who don't know anything about mental health.

I understand origin stories typically take longer to get into the meat of the story, but this one was just too slow of a burn. If/when there is a sequel, I think it has the potential to be excellent because the last 30 minutes showed the action/pace of what's to come.

#107 50 days ago

I’ve missed many movies but the last long movie I liked was Django. Scarface wasn’t that bad either. Haven’t seen Joker but will probably just wait for it on Redbox. Once upon in Hollywood, Think I’ll buy that one.

1 month later
#108 9 days ago

I just saw that the Joker has 11 nominations for 2020.

BEST PICTURE
ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
DIRECTOR
CINEMATOGRAPHY
COSTUME DESIGN
SOUND EDITING
SOUND MIXING
ORIGINAL SCORE
VISUAL EFFECTS
MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/13/entertainment/academy-award-nominations-2020-oscars/index.html
tumblr_86ccd3580a009e5de8ec90cb1434fe13_ec689375_540.giftenor.gif

#109 9 days ago

It was an amazing movie!

#110 9 days ago

Rented it this weekend. Didn’t make it to the end. Wasn’t what I had expected. Probably should give it another chance. It definitely is original.

#111 9 days ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Rented it this weekend. Didn’t make it to the end. Wasn’t what I had expected. Probably should give it another chance. It definitely is original.

The last 30 minutes pull everything together.

#112 9 days ago
Quoted from Rager170:

The last 30 minutes pull everything together.

Agreed.... for me though, the last 30 minutes were the only thing that made the movie watchable. As far as awards go, I don't disagree with any of them except movie of the year. I didn't see a lot of movies this year, but there *have* to be several movies in 2019 that were better than this.

#113 9 days ago

Won best actor at the Golden Globes, proud of the guy...
-mof

#114 9 days ago

Joker was pretty awesome movie but this is not the Joker. The Joker is suppose to be a criminal mastermind and this Joker knows nothing about being that mastermind. Joker also is a lethal fighter this Joker is beat up several times. Joker has complete understanding of the Gotham underworld and is considered the most feared criminal. This Joker is more of a mental patient going thru a lot of problems. I don't see how this joker becomes the joker that fights batman, he's just not equipped for it. Lets not even mention the age difference by the time Batman would be Batman this Joker would be in his late 50's. I'm not sure they're telling the true originals of the Joker we know, but a different version where Batman doesn't exist. This Joker could also be a dream, not the original story at all which has been flirted by the director.

When you look at Dark Knight Joker... he masterminded essentially catching and killing batman, outsmarted the entire mob, bank robberies, blowing up buildings, taking down a helicopter, defeated nearly the entire police force, and more.

This movie could have very easily been a movie about a mental breakdown. Either way this Joker could never become the real joker because he just doesn't have the skills. Great movie, different version of Joker, but nothing can top Heath Ledger. I do however feel this Joker should win best actor because his performance was amazing no doubt. I just don't see how this Joker based on what he knows, can do, his experience as a criminal can become a mastermind who could take on Batman.

If they make another one, hopefully we find out, if this was just Joker daydreaming, and the real live joker is ruthless mastermind. Have to wait and see I guess.

#115 9 days ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Joker was pretty awesome movie but this is not the Joker. The Joker is suppose to be a criminal mastermind and this Joker knows nothing about being that mastermind. Joker also is a lethal fighter this Joker is beat up several times. Joker has complete understanding of the Gotham underworld and is considered the most feared criminal. This Joker is more of a mental patient going thru a lot of problems. I don't see how this joker becomes the joker that fights batman, he's just not equipped for it. Lets not even mention the age difference by the time Batman would be Batman this Joker would be in his late 50's. I'm not sure they're telling the true originals of the Joker we know, but a different version where Batman doesn't exist. This Joker could also be a dream, not the original story at all which has been flirted by the director.
When you look at Dark Knight Joker... he masterminded essentially catching and killing batman, outsmarted the entire mob, bank robberies, blowing up buildings, taking down a helicopter, defeated nearly the entire police force, and more.
This movie could have very easily been a movie about a mental breakdown. Either way this Joker could never become the real joker because he just doesn't have the skills. Great movie, different version of Joker, but nothing can top Heath Ledger. I do however feel this Joker should win best actor because his performance was amazing no doubt. I just don't see how this Joker based on what he knows, can do, his experience as a criminal can become a mastermind who could take on Batman.
If they make another one, hopefully we find out, if this was just Joker daydreaming, and the real live joker is ruthless mastermind. Have to wait and see I guess.

Its an origin story... So from the time that Joker killed batman's parents until he was older, thats what, like 30 years to become a mastermind? In the batman made in the 80's, Joker (Jack Nicholson was like in his 50's. ..Yea, it can happen.

Heath Ledger was the worst joker in my book. I wasnt a big fan of those movies and he only had like 33 minutes of actual screen time in that movie. If he didnt die making it, it wouldn't hvae been such a big deal.

#116 9 days ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Agreed.... for me though, the last 30 minutes were the only thing that made the movie watchable. As far as awards go, I don't disagree with any of them except movie of the year. I didn't see a lot of movies this year, but there *have* to be several movies in 2019 that were better than this.

I dont agree with that. This movie had a lot of things to make you think about and showed why he became the way he was.

I thought it was fantastic but to each their own.

#117 9 days ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Heath Ledger was the worst joker in my book.

#118 9 days ago

My wife picked up a copy over the weekend and we watched it again last night with all the extras. Really dig it. Its a slow burn but interesting the whole time. Weird...2nd time I watched it, it seemed short.

The movie is like a Rorschach test for any particular viewer. Its told from the viewpoint of "Fleck" who is a flawed character to begin with so consider the source. Someone mentioned that they didn't know if he even left his kitchen. Last night, I thought for a second that maybe he never left the hospital and the whole story was in his head. Its kind of cool when you see a movie that provokes you think about it more after you see it again and again.

#119 9 days ago

I forgot to post this. Someone recorded Joaquin Phoenix’s Iconic dance from a completely different perspective when they were filming.

#120 9 days ago

The trouble with this movie is that the joker never ever comes across as anything else then mediocre.
How is this 80 iq toon gone challange batman?

Ed: just saw drfrightner arriving at the same conclusion.

#121 9 days ago
Quoted from hAbO:

I forgot to post this. Someone recorded Joaquin Phoenix’s Iconic dance from a completely different perspective when they were filming.

Someone needs to clean their windows haha

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 159.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Mods
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 239.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 57.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 28.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 139.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 1,099.00
$ 92.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
There are 121 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside