(Topic ID: 252586)

Anyone going to see "Joker" this weekend?

By hAbO

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 122 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by hAbO
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“Anyone going to see "Joker" this weekend?”

• Yes! I cant wait! 29 votes
    35%
  • Yes! but Im waiting for on-demand, cable, DVD. 26 votes
    31%
  • No, Im not digging what I see in the previews. 18 votes
    21%
  • No, I don't like super-hero movies. 11 votes
    13%

(84 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tenor.gif
tumblr_86ccd3580a009e5de8ec90cb1434fe13_ec689375_540.gif
8A5D544B-C7EA-45DA-8403-84634C6857F5 (resized).jpeg
bigtroubleinlittlechina_translite (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
giphy.gif
There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 4 years ago

Saw it 5 hours ago...JOKER is a perfect movie, not for everyone's eyes though..
70% of the audience applaused in the end ! Haven't seen this happen in years.
Lot's of TAXI DRIVER stuff along it.
One scene is hilarious IMO too...( the "door" scene )
J.Phoenix has to be an Oscar winner by far ( Like if he doesn't get it it's a real JOKE )
I would never have thought H.Letger could be challenged as The Joker but this is really something happening here.

#52 4 years ago

Thought this was interesting...

31 Facts About Joaquin Phoenix's 'Joker'

https://www.boredpanda.com/joker-facts-interesting/?cexp_id=21805&cexp_var=4&_f=featured

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Incels have been the new buzzword on TV.
Just to mention, VOX is not a journalism outfit. They are on par with gutterfilth like Buzzfeed and Salon.
Just backwash “I’m going to be offended for you” and other overtly racist nonsense. These people are the college kids that took “gender studies” and “academic feminism” and now they write freelance articles online as their only source of income other than their barista/Whole Foods gig
I despise these people and how they’ve gutted the field of journalism, and wish we could go back to “real news” it all seems like gossip now.
Back to the main topic. I think this looks like the first good movie DC has put out in a few years. From the first trailer I was pretty excited. The Joker has always been a bit of a social commentary foil to Batman. Society can burn you out and make you strive to be an impossibly “good” moral figure or you can succumb to it and become the sadistic, unfeeling sociopath of Joker.
It’s a story that reflects society today, and the hysterical, paradoxical nature of truly being “good” or “evil”.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/toronto-van-attack-latest-suspect-incel-4chan-radicalised-mission-accomplished-terrorism-a9124291.html

Here is some "real news"

To be clear, I am not saying the movie shouldn't be shown.

I am saying if you blame "journalism" instead of realizing that toxic masculinity is a serious problem in today's society and not just a "buzzword" then you have your head in the sand.

#54 4 years ago

Going to see this weekend.

Is this a Batman spin off with that villain Joker?

Or is this something completely different?

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Going to see this weekend.
Is this a Batman spin off with that villain Joker?
Or is this something completely different?

It is a completely original take on the Joker origin story. It is a stand alone film. It is not part of the DC Universe of previous films. It does not draw from any specific comic book story or standard joker cannon. It is unique.

I'm going to see it again tonight.

#56 4 years ago

After I saw it I looked up how much weight JP lost to play the Joker and was surprised to hear 52lbs. I looked up other actors and how much they lost or gained for rolls

Christian Bale - Lost 63lbs for "The Machinist"
Matthew McConaughey - Lost 50lbs for "Dallas Buyers Club"
Jared Leto - Lost 40lbs for "Dallas Buyers Club" and Gained +60lbs for “Chapter 27.”
Charlize Theron - Gained 40lbs for "Monster"
50 Cent - Lost 54lbs for “Things Fall Apart”
Anne Hathaway - Lost 25 for “Les Misérables.”
Robert De Niro - Gained 60lbs for "Raging Bull"

My wife and I did a cleanse and lost about 10lbs give or take. I felt like I was dying of starvation for the first week and a half - LOL

#57 4 years ago

My brother called me up after seeing it and told me its really dark and pissed off the lefties, so Im going to see it tomorrow

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

and pissed off the lefties

Exxxxceelllllennnttt!!

#59 4 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

My brother called me up after seeing it and told me its really dark and pissed off the lefties

You might be disappointed when you find out that it is, in fact, dark, but not, in fact, pissing off "the lefties."

#60 4 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

You might be disappointed when you find out that it is, in fact, dark, but not, in fact, pissing off "the lefties."

I concur, I know a lot of lefties, not one of them even slightly pissed, most of them saw it and enjoyed it.

#61 4 years ago

Audience likes it much more than the critics making it a must see!

8A5D544B-C7EA-45DA-8403-84634C6857F5 (resized).jpeg8A5D544B-C7EA-45DA-8403-84634C6857F5 (resized).jpeg
#62 4 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

No I won’t I don’t care one way or another I just hope it’s good.

#63 4 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

No I won’t I don’t care one way or another I just hope it’s good.

An odd thing to mention then. So be it.
It is a good movie.

#64 4 years ago

Just saw it and it was just OK. Nothing special. It’s an origin story so I expected it to start slow. The writing was horrible. JP’s take on the Joker was good but TDK was just a much better movie overall. HL version of Joker is still the best IMO. Won’t say anymore as I don’t want to give any spoilers.

#65 4 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Just saw it and it was just OK. Nothing special. It’s an origin story so I expected it to start slow. The writing was horrible. JP’s take on the Joker was good but TDK was just a much better movie overall. HL version of Joker is still the best IMO. Won’t say anymore as I don’t want to give any spoilers.

That’s one thing I keep trying to mentally get ready for is to not compare this to Ledger’s performance but how do you not?

#66 4 years ago

Exactly...it’s hard not to compare....you have to think of it as a completely different story/character. JP was great in this version but it’s a dark drama rather than a action packed superhero movie.

Worth seeing if you can’t wait to rent/buy it.

#67 4 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

This.
The fact that the media is trying to deter people from seeing it makes me want to see it more. They only tell you what they want you to hear.....they don't like something about this film....I guess it goes against the current agenda they are trying to push. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a false flag.

You left out chemtrails.

#68 4 years ago

This guy's take on the movie is spot on. This movie is a so-so re-hash of many Robert Dinero films at best:

#69 4 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

This guy's take on the movie is spot on.

Really? Joker acts like a transgendered hero? Did ANYONE else get that from the movie? This was the first time I heard anyone have this impression (having not seen the film myself).

#70 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Really? Joker acts like a transgendered hero? Did ANYONE else get that from the movie? This was the first time I heard anyone have this impression (having not seen the film myself).

There’s no sexual or gender agenda in the movie. I didn’t catch any undertones of SJW crap at all. It was pretty good as a stand alone movie. I’m still trying to process how it fits in “moviewise” if anything I’d say this joker could be closer to the Michael Keaton series as timeline. But not so much as the personality of Jack Nicholson’s joker.

#71 4 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

There’s no sexual or gender agenda in the movie. I didn’t catch any undertones of SJW crap at all. It was pretty good as a stand alone movie. I’m still trying to process how it fits in “moviewise” if anything I’d say this joker could be closer to the Michael Keaton series as timeline. But not so much as the personality of Jack Nicholson’s joker.

Having not seen it, this seemed to be a very surprising direction if it was true and not that guy's projection onto the movie.

#72 4 years ago

Saw it last night. Thought it was excellent. Phoenix does an amazing job in that role.

I don’t understand why ppl say they need to see it multiple times to understand it. I thought it was pretty straight forward.

#73 4 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

My brother called me up after seeing it and told me its really dark and pissed off the lefties, so Im going to see it tomorrow

I'm left handed. Should I not watch it?

#74 4 years ago

Great movie.....love the build up. Thought it captured the essence of the Joker amazingly well.

DC will manage to still fak up follow up movies. The new Harley Quinn movie looks terrible.

#75 4 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

The new Harley Quinn movie looks terrible.

i don;t know...could be as good as "SuckerPunch!"

Zach Snyder's taint is all over DC.

That might have not come out right

#76 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

So that's why Deadpool said the DC universe was so dark. Suckerpunch was a decent film but yes, very dark

#77 4 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

Suckerpunch was a decent film....

Bold statement.

#79 4 years ago

I thought it was very good and different then your typical comic book movie. Only thing I didn't like was not knowing if it really happened. Same thing pissed me off with Inception.

#80 4 years ago
Quoted from chooch:

I thought it was very good and different then your typical comic book movie. Only thing I didn't like was not knowing if it really happened. Same thing pissed me off with Inception.

You would hate French cinema, then. It's a very classic French thing to leave interpretation up to the viewer.

#81 4 years ago
Quoted from chooch:

Not knowing that what happened? The whole thing?

#82 4 years ago

At some point this thread should turn into a spoiler-included discussion of the movie. If you think themovie was straight forward, then you're not thinking hard enough about it, but again there are no wrong answers here. I'd say nothing about the movie was straight forward, but I can't get into that without discussing scenes from the movie.

I don't want to ruin it for anyone that hasn't seen it yet.

#83 4 years ago

anybody else laughed really good when " the door scene" happened?

#84 4 years ago
Quoted from MPRAMONE:

anybody else laughed really good when " the door scene" happened?

Oh yeah. Really funny.

I thought the movie was straight forward. Maybe I’m just an idiot. Haha.

Some pm me with something that wasn’t straight forward.

#85 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

I thought the movie was straight forward. Maybe I’m just an idiot. Haha.
Some pm me with something that wasn’t straight forward.

Did you get that he’s called the “Joker” but he’s really a sad, homicidal maniac? Most people miss that.

#86 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Throw in a Dreamscape while you're at it. They're remaking that one, so maybe a chance...[quoted image]

Really!? Remaking Dreamscape? Why? It is one of those movies that got it right the first time like: The Mummy (Brendan Fraiser), Stargate, Vanishing Point, Auntie Mame (Rosalind Russel) and Robocop, just to name a few.

#87 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Did you get that he’s called the “Joker” but he’s really a sad, homicidal maniac? Most people miss that.

Well yeah that’s kinda obvious.

#88 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

I don’t understand why ppl say they need to see it multiple times to understand it. I thought it was pretty straight forward.

Quoted from Blackbeard:

Not knowing that what happened? The whole thing?

The entire thing.

***spoiler alert for those who haven't seen it yet***

It all could have been made up in his head like his interactions with his neighbor Sophie. Did he kill her? They just showed him waking out of her apartment. What about his mothers accusations about Mr. Wayne being his father in the letter and on her medical records. They also showed his initials on the one picture.

They don't show how he ended up in Arkham. Maybe that was a flash back of him at Arkham before it all started. I don't believe his hair was green in that scene.

Plenty of other things too and a quick Google search shows I'm clearly not the only one who questioned the ending.

#89 4 years ago

Don't read if you haven't seen....

***MAJOR SPOILERS***

I don't think there much in the film that can be taken at face value, because the Joker is the narrator here, and he has a long history in the comics/films for being unreliable in that regard. Heath Ledger also played on this fact in the last movie with "You wanna know how I got these scars?". The Joker cannot be trusted. Period. The genius of the film is that it is setup to be ambiguous & multiple interpretations that are all plausible, depending on the viewer.

The key part of the movie is when we realize the relationship with his girlfriend was all in his mind. That's a huge moment when he crosses the line & spirals downward into becoming full-on Joker. So what else did we see that was a figment of his imagination? The first time he met Murray Franklin & was called down from the audience? Having a successful stand-up performance after an incredibly bad start? What about being praised like a God in the streets by his worshipers after the car crash? It's debatable if any of those things happened at all.

The main question revolves around his relationship with Thomas Wayne. Was his mom really telling the truth? Did his mother really have an affair with Thomas, which resulted in Arthur's birth? Or did his mother's mental illness cause her to make it all up in her mind? Or did Thomas Wayne use his power to falsify Arthur's adoption records to bury the truth? So are the Joker & the Batman really step-brothers? No matter how many repeat viewings, we'll never know the truth. That's what makes this film so interesting & unique.

And what about the ending in the mental hospital? What was the joke that Arthur was laughing at when he told the therapist "You wouldn't get it"? I think he was thinking of the irony that Thomas Wayne rejected his mother, buried the truth about Arthur, which drove his mother crazy, which led to Arthur's bad upbringing/problems, which led to him becoming the Joker, inspiring a clown movement, which inadvertently caused Thomas Wayne's death. Yeah I think the Joker would find that pretty funny & satisfying to say the least. But at this point of time, it's only the audience that knows these events also lead to the creation of The Batman. That's pretty messed up, and it's the only Joker story I've seen or read that makes this ironic step-brother connection. That also helps to rationalize why after so many years of battling each other, the Joker & Batman are never willing to kill each other. It's a thread that can really be explored in future films if Phoenix comes back to the role.

What about the final final scene with the Joker running down the hall leaving bloody footprints & comically escaping the orderlies? Did you think he just murdered this therapist, running with nowhere to escape? Or was this perhaps another one of Joker's delusional thoughts, representing the fact that his mental illness & all the violent acts that he's committed will always follow him & he can never escape them?

Or perhaps the entire movie is one big joke. We saw him bashing his head against the door of his cell in the beginning of the film. Perhaps Arthur was never released from the mental hospital in the first place, and the whole entire film is his delusional fantasy? Perhaps he's not the real Joker at all, because his face paint doesn't look like the version we know. Perhaps Arthur just inspired the real Joker to rise up?

Again great great great fricking movie where nothing is what it seems IMO. I read an interview where Phoenix said he never thought of Joker as being his dream role, but now he can't stop thinking about it, and how there are endless possibilities to go with the character. IMO this is my favorite Joker performance of all time. Ledger was realy great with his "psychopathic chaos creator" version, but I prefer this version where the mental illness & a real-world take is front & center. Best version of his laugh as well. I hope Phoenix gets to play him again.

#90 4 years ago

There's a lot of connection to all the Sinatra music in the film as well, especially at the end in the hospital room. Arthur starts quoting "That's Life"....

That's life, funny as it may seem
Some people get their kicks
Stompin' on a dream
But I don't let it, let it get me down
'Cause this fine old world it keeps spinnin' around

So who does Arthur think is getting their kicks from stomping on a dream? Is it the rich like Thomas Wayne, who stomp & take advantage of the downtrodden & poor people like Arthur? Or is it the Joker taking enjoyment from all the violence, stomping & killing he's inflicted on his victims? Or is it we the movie audience who are stomping & condemning Arthur's dreams & delusional thoughts for our own entertainment?

Lot's to think about. Anyone who says the writing for this movie was poor is out of their minds. I think the movie & Phoenix deserves an Oscar.

#91 4 years ago

Great write up. All things I was thinking about leaving the theatre.

I know someone with a mental disease that has that laughing issue. I hear him outside my office a lot. Just laughing at nothing.

But really great movie.

#92 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yea, Zach train wrecked DC.

#93 4 years ago

Really enjoyed Joker. I'm tired of the standard Marvel and DC super hero magic crap, that formula is beyond played out at this point.

#94 4 years ago
Quoted from MD_Pinball_Dude:

Really!? Remaking Dreamscape? Why? It is one of those movies that got it right the first time like: The Mummy (Brendan Fraiser), Stargate, Vanishing Point, Auntie Mame (Rosalind Russel) and Robocop, just to name a few.

Love the movie, but the original Dreamscape has pacing issues and the effects are laughable now. It also takes too long to get to the good stuff (dream invading). It was only about an hour and a half and a remake would benefit from another half hour and a couple more set pieces.

#95 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Saw it last night. Thought it was excellent. Phoenix does an amazing job in that role.

Yeah it’s straightforward. I agree.

Not my type. Slow and didn’t like it at all. And not how I’d like to think of the Joker

#96 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Love the movie, but the original Dreamscape has pacing issues and the effects are laughable now. It also takes too long to get to the good stuff (dream invading). It was only about an hour and a half and a remake would benefit from another half hour and a couple more set pieces.

True.

#97 4 years ago

I saw it, I liked it. It wasnt what I was expecting. Semi spoiler, I think the real ending of the movie took place in his kitchen.

#98 4 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I saw it, I liked it. It wasnt what I was expecting. Semi spoiler, I think the real ending of the movie took place in his kitchen.

Now THAT's interesting..

However, then there'd be no more Joker..

#99 4 years ago

HoakyPoaky hit many of the points on the head. The scents in the movie can be taken many different ways. The movie was like an Onion with many layers to be pealed away. One of those movies can be watched a few times with new perspective.

BTW it pulled another $55 Million for a 10 total of $195 Million this past weekend.

#100 4 years ago

I thought it was a great movie. It's certainly a slow build up..and if you are expecting a normal comic book movie, don't go. I thought it was a great take on the Joker origin story, and I think people who like dark movies will like it. Like if you cant stand super hero movies, are ok with violence in movies then you will probably like this movie. If you only like action flicks, don't go you will just be disappointed.

There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-going-to-see-joker/page/2?hl=valis666 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.