(Topic ID: 154728)

Anyone for Virtual Reality Pinball?

By EvolutionPinball

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Evolution-Pinball-VR-The-Summoning-Prototype-Controller-00_(resized).jpg
    #1 8 years ago

Hey, we would like to get your feedback and thoughts on a new Pinball table we have created specifically for Virtual Reality [Oculus/Vive Virtual Reality headsets]. Let us now what you think, we really want to hear what you have to say.

Also we are currently going through the Steam Greenlight process so it would be really cool if you voted for us as well https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=617795618

Here is a cool image of the back glass, we are using a sub surface scattering render effect to a backlit feel to the glass, looks really good in VR.

To see gameplay video and a trailer of the table click the link below.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=617795618

We have added VR exclusive gameplay elements such as;

Pinball cannon the player aims and fires [like the AC/DC Pinball table].

Play, scale and position change onto the playfield [the scale changes such that the player views the table as though it is gigantic, a bit like being the size of a mouse on the playfield…].

And of course the player chooses their best camera position by changing position in the real world [just like a real Pinball table].

We have other cool elements as well such as a demon head rising from the top end of the playfield, explodey vfx, a photo real pbr renderer and cutting edge physics…

Here is another shot of the table [not finished, but with main gameplay elements]

We love Pinball, you love Pinball, so let us know what you think and maybe consider voting for us so we can all play made for VR Pinball

If you like what you see you can like us on facebook here as well

www.evolutionpinballvr.com

The Evolution Pinball VR team.

Oh, the table is called The Summoning and the goal is to Summon and control the Demon of the table.

Let us know what you think

#2 8 years ago

I'm excited for VR pinball and have an Oculus Rift on preorder. Farsight has already announced VR support for The Pinball Arcade so it sounds like devs are interested in supporting it. Personally I would prefer a VR setup then a dedicated virtual cabinet. I'm thinking of building just a front end of a pinball machine (maybe a foot or two long if that) that is meant to be used for VR pinball. That would take up far less space, cost less and with the VR headset be more immersive (3D, head tracking) then a virtual pinball cabinet.

It's cool to see projects like this. I'll check it out!

#3 8 years ago

Not stirring the pot here but can you post another video without all that camera shaking? I was getting sea sick being rocked side to side.

#4 8 years ago

Hey PanzerFreak we have created a Virtual Reality Pinball controller for the game. We thought the same as you "...just a front end of a pinball machine (maybe a foot or two long if that) that is meant to be used for VR pinball. That would take up far less space, cost less and with the VR headset be more immersive (3D, head tracking) then a virtual pinball cabinet."

We have been looking at adding tilt via an accelerometer. Tilt functionality is not working properly atm but may do in the future.

Hey DeathHimself we need to create a gameplay trailer without the VR barrel distortion and less head movement. This is something we plan to do once the graphics for the table are a little more finished.

#5 8 years ago

That custom controller cab is fantastic.

If I wanted to share that with my friends on Facebook, is there a blog post or something about it? Or just that image?

#6 8 years ago

Hey apLundell thanks for your compliments. We have information about the game, here is a link to the Steam Greenlight https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=617795618

But we have not posted how we made the cabinet or control solution yet. We do intend to do this but we are not sure when. Feel free to direct your friends to the Greenlight page or our Facebook product page if you think they would be interested www.evolutionpinballvr.com

We could sure use more Greenlight votes

#7 8 years ago

Oh great. While trying to save the image, I accidentally tagged it as NSFW, and I don't know how to undo that.
    Gah, Sorry!
    Hope a moderator can fix that.

Quoted from EvolutionPinball:

But we have not posted how we made the cabinet or control solution yet. We do intend to do this but we are not sure when.

You don't mind if I just share that image, then?

We could sure use more Greenlight votes

Well, I voted for you!

#8 8 years ago

apLundell we really appreciate you voting for us and please feel free to pass on the image to your friends. Hopefully at some point we will be able to provide a tutorial as well

We unhid the image so you should be able to see it now, if not let us know and we will re-post it.

We have also looked into a plunger solution for the prototype controller as well. gtxjoe on vpforums suggested this might work http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=28313

So we think we can get this to work with the game. The Arduino we are using has UnoJoy loaded, this allows the Arduino to appear in windows as a usb joystick device. So it should be possible to use one of the analogue axis as the positional information for the plunger in Unreal... When we get time we will give this a try

Next we just need to implement some good code that utilises the accelerometer on the Arduino for tilt

#9 8 years ago

Re-posted prototype controller image as no longer in earlier post.

Evolution-Pinball-VR-The-Summoning-Prototype-Controller-00_(resized).jpgEvolution-Pinball-VR-The-Summoning-Prototype-Controller-00_(resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-for-virtual-reality-pinball-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.