(Topic ID: 300293)

Anyone familiar with Chicago Punk Bars in the late 80's?

By fatality83

5 days ago

Topic Stats

• 1 post
  • 1 Pinsider participating
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 5 days ago

I have been obsessing for some dumb reason over finding out where the Bad Girls Backglass photo was taken. I am hoping someone can recognize the bar in the photo. I spent a few hours trying to research and find out what bar this photo was taken in only to come up with no answers. I know, I have too much time on my hands but this back glass is so bad its good and this is important research and the answer will help me sleep at night. I mean, just look at the back glass....just look at it. Someone at some time in the past hired all these people to dress up in punk rock outfits to meet in a space in time to document what would become the greatest back glass in history :0

There is not many clues that are helpful to figure out where it was taken. The biggest clue is the Exit Chicago jackets one dude is wearing on the back glass. From my research, Exit Chicago was/is a punk rock bar that was located on Wells street around the time this photo would of been taken. The bar was forced to close and ended up reopening in a new location to where it stands today apparently but this new location was after the photo shoot so the new location cannot be the place. Ironically there is many photos of the new bar which show old tv's setup in a similar fashion as seen in the back glass, but many bars also apparently had tvs in the same location. I cannot find many photos of Exit Chicago club on Wells street and the ones I found don't appear to match the scene on the back glass. Can't find any chain link fence interior or anything. On the flyer the women are sitting in front of the bar and you can see the bar has some type of mosaic pattern at the base but that is leading nowhere as that isn't matching anything I am finding.

Another clue is the M1, M2 writing on the top support beam that is seen at the top of the back glass below the 3 tvs and the large metal fan at top left. The walls almost look stucco, kinda reminding me a parking garage, but I find it hard to believe they would go through that much trouble back then to get props and set up a make shift bar somewhere when they could of just said, hey, mind if I do a photo shoot at your bar, it will help bring it exposure. Maybe that was even why the Exit Chicago Jacket is in there as a thank you for allowing us to shoot there? Of course it could of just been thrown in to match the style of the machine.

Can anyone help ID the place where it was taken? Anyone know where Constantino Mitchell has been since 96? He was responsible for the artwork and may be able to answer where it was shot at.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside