(Topic ID: 21632)

Anyone ever Vacuum form new ramps to replace old broken ones?

By Whysnow

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by jjsrt8
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Mold-A-Rama.jpg
#1 11 years ago

I have a WWF and like many it hase a cracked ramp that has not available ramp for purchase/replacement.

I was wondering if anyone has ever built/bought a vacuum forming table and made their own replacement ramps?

Is this even a possibilty? I would like to be able to never have to worry about a cracked ramp again and if I can refabricate my own then problem solved.

thoughts? ideas?

am I crazy ?

#2 11 years ago

not crazy.. it might be worth it however to just locate a local plastic fabricator, for 1-200 bucks you could get it done. make a few of em (the inital set up costs but not replica units as much) then sell a few to even the funds..

unless your looking to just "get into it" cheaper to let the pro's pop it out for you.

#3 11 years ago

Wouldn't you need access to a perfect, non-broken one to make the mold?

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Wouldn't you need access to a perfect, non-broken one to make the mold?

no, as long as you have the basic stuff there cracks and "missing chips" are easily corrected.

#6 11 years ago

nice stuff!

looks like another project to be added to the list

#7 11 years ago

I keep saying I'm going to build a vacuum former (not hard, just have get the motivation to do so). Then it's a matter of forming the void to form around.

Essentially, imagine your trying to create a bucket. The water filling the bucket would be the void, the bucket would be your part. That means if your trying to recreate a broken ramp, you would have to fill the ramp in with something (plaster of paris perhaps), then mount that to a flat piece. You can see a vacuum form on that new UK pinball company.

#8 11 years ago

If only there was some way to re-purpose one of these ...

Mold-A-Rama.jpgMold-A-Rama.jpg

#9 11 years ago

HAHAHAHAHAHA

#10 11 years ago

I can't remember if this is a forum member's photos, but here's a helpful tutorial:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49092976@N02/4752663011/in/set-72157624277035349/

#11 11 years ago

great picture tutorial!!!

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

If only there was some way to re-purpose one of these ...

I remeber a zoo I went to as a kid a few times had one like that. You dropped 25 cents-$1 and got a freshly molded plastic zoo animal.

#13 11 years ago

That link is terrific, I've a neighbor who does powercoating in his garage and has a large oven. I could easily get a frame setup so all I'd need to do is heat the plastic and bam! What a great idea!

#14 11 years ago

If you guys need vac forming done I have a vac former. It has a bed size of 21x30 so there is about 18x27in of room to form on it.

LMK

It has been great for proto WOZ parts

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

If only there was some way to re-purpose one of these ... []

There are people who collect those machines and the molds that go in them.

Too small of a mold for most pinball parts, but could probably be adapted.

Injection molds used to be big $$$$$, but now that everyone and their brother has a CNC mill in their garage....

#16 11 years ago

vacuum forming is fun. i don't know how large your ramp is, but if it's not too big, and you can make a mold, it's do-able. instructions here:
http://www.pinrepair.com/vacuum

#17 11 years ago

The ninja has spoken

1 month later
#18 11 years ago

I work in a plastic injection molding plant only wish we made pinball parts. I really wouldn't wana know how much it would be to get a mold made and then run it. I know it must be expensive by how much I get paid they make good profits.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 26.50
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-ever-vacuum-form-new-ramps-to-replace-old-broken-ones and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.