(Topic ID: 201587)

Anyone ever used a locksmith to open a game with no keys?

By BlackCatBone

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Coyote
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

I went to look at a 1950 game and discovered the seller has no keys. I need to open two locks to be able to break the game down, which I must do before moving it. I'm wondering if anyone has ever used a locksmith to pick a game's locks. I've used a locksmith to get me into my own house, and I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar situation with a pinball machine. I don't want to drill the locks out if I can find a non-destructive approach.

Thanks.

#2 6 years ago

Much cheaper to drill and then buy new locks. If I was near you I could probably pick it....know anyone with a lock pick set?

#3 6 years ago

Pick it or drill it. A new lock is about $4. If the key is lost, it doesn't matter if you destroy the lock since you'll probably replace it anyway.

A while back, I spent an evening reading up on and watching youtube videos on picking locks. I practiced on new single-bitted and double-bitted locks for a couple days (since new ones are clean and easier to manipulate), then moved to original locks. Since then, I've been able to open up a few games with a minute or two of fiddling. If I can't get it open (double-bitted locks usually give me trouble), then I can still resort to drilling.

#4 6 years ago

Drill the lock on the coin door first as the key for the backbox MAY be hanging on the door or even laying in the cabinet! But drilling is the easiest and cheapest way to go!

#5 6 years ago

One screwdriver one hammer and one wrench........why bother dulling a bit.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

One screwdriver one hammer and one wrench........why bother dulling a bit.

My success rate with that method is....hit or miss

#7 6 years ago

No. This is why God invented cordless drills and hardened bits

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

No. This is why God invented cordless drills and hardened bits

And then there are all those shavings. I could get a cut, It could get infected, I could die!

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

And then there are all those shavings. I could get a cut, It could get infected, I could die!

Just put some newspaper down.

#10 6 years ago

Personally I would pick the lock then while holding the lock turned look into the keyway and sight read the tumblers then use a hpc1200 or a itl9000 and just cut the key.

For non locksmiths, drill the plug, replace the lock.

#11 6 years ago

Yes, his name is Mr Drill.

#12 6 years ago

What's the point of picking the lock? You still don't have a key to re-lock...

Drill & replace.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

Personally I would pick the lock then while holding the lock turned look into the keyway and sight read the tumblers then use a hpc1200 or a itl9000 and just cut the key.
    For non locksmiths, drill the plug, replace the lock.

You have or can get key blanks? I took a key to an old school locksmith (been there forever) to have a spare key made for a double sided bally SS game and no blanks said he couldn't get them.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

One screwdriver one hammer and one wrench........

Wasn't that a George Thorogood song? No, wait ;-> ?!.

#15 6 years ago

Drill, baby, DRILL!

#16 6 years ago

If by lock smith you mean a cordless drill then yes. Plenty of times.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from Raegor:

It can sometimes take less time and effort to pick rather than drill.

And technically, most of the time, you're not really picking anything with precision anyway--it mainly involves just putting some tension on the lock and raking the pins inside.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

Yes, his name is Mr Drill.

You too, That was my nickname back in the early years.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from Raegor:

Once you've got it open, take the lock off, pull the plug, remove the pins and then replace. Looks original and opens with anything.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from PoBoyPinball:

You have or can get key blanks? I took a key to an old school locksmith (been there forever) to have a spare key made for a double sided bally SS game and no blanks said he couldn't get them.

Then go to another lock shop instead.

Maxi Lock and Fort Lock double bit blanks are available.

#21 6 years ago

To break down most games, you only need to open the back panel so that you can remove the head. Once it's home you can either drill, pick, or force open the front door lock.
    I've used the screwdriver and wrench method with pretty good success. Preferably use a fairly stout screwdriver with a square shank, and always put the wrench as close to the blade as possible. A good firm turn of the wrench will easily break the lock open.
    For home use, the lock can often be reused for the backbox, using a screwdriver to open and close it. I've drilled locks as well, and both methods are fairly quick and easy.
    I once picked up a "Night Rider" lower cabinet only, and the guy I got it from happened to be a locksmith. He didn't have the key for it, so he whipped out his pick set and had the front door open in about three seconds!

#22 6 years ago

Damn, I came in to make the "my locksmith's name is Mr. Drill" joke but it's already been made about 10 times.

#23 6 years ago

OK, drill it out it is. What size drill bit should I start with? I was thinking of starting with 1/8" and going up from there, but that is just a guess. I'd like to use as small a bit as I can get away with. Would appreciate hearing from anyone who has used the drill technique. Thanks.

#24 6 years ago
    #25 6 years ago
    Quoted from BlackCatBone:

OK, drill it out it is. What size drill bit should I start with? I was thinking of starting with 1/8" and going up from there, but that is just a guess. I'd like to use as small a bit as I can get away with. Would appreciate hearing from anyone who has used the drill technique. Thanks.

Just use a decently sharp 1/4" bit and lubricate it as you go. I've been using Tri-Flow that I have in a squeeze bottle because it's handy and get through one in about 10 seconds.

#26 6 years ago

I use a 1/4” bit and drill all the way through the center of the lock.
    This takes out the screw holding the lock together and the cam will fall off in the cabinet.
    Works every time, less than a minute.

#27 6 years ago

Every pinball machine I've seen has a double bitted lock so you'd have to drill both sides of the keyway wouldn't you? If you're going to drill, it seems easier to drill the middle?

#28 6 years ago

I put a trash can under the cab half way to catch the shavings...then vacuum the inside as I never liked the idea of metal shavings sprinkling on the service outlet or the power box...

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from ajfclark:

Every pinball machine I've seen has a double bitted lock so you'd have to drill both sides of the keyway wouldn't you? If you're going to drill, it seems easier to drill the middle?

I do drill twice, across both shear lines. It's just the way I was taught.

#30 6 years ago

I haven't read every post...

If you have any mechanical abilities? They are nothing to pick. I can get in one in seconds but I've practiced a lot. A local guy here was shocked when he found out how fast someone get into a game with a straightened paperclip and a small screwdriver. It took me less than 20 seconds. If I would have had my pick I could opened it in less time. Most of these locks aren't that tough.

Then there are things like drills, small slide hammers, to get in too. A drill works, and is fast.

#32 6 years ago

How is this thread still going? Just drill and replace. Done.

#33 6 years ago

I would also add wear eye protection ... and keep your dog away until the shavings are cleaned up.

#34 6 years ago

And don't do it on an empty stomach!
    And wait at least an hour after eating!

Alcohol is fine, though!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-ever-used-a-locksmith-to-open-a-game-with-no-keys?hl=biffbar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.