(Topic ID: 214777)

Anyone ever use the "bionic wrench"?

By ForceFlow

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    download (resized).jpeg
    #1 6 years ago

I stumbled upon this tool the other day, and thought it seemed interesting. The story behind it is actually interesting too.

https://loggerheadtools.com/?main_page=index

https://www.amazon.com/Loggerhead-Tools-BW6-01R-01-Adjustable-6-Inch/dp/B000JPN2QK

An inventor started making these in the US, and eventually got an exclusive contract with sears to sell them in their stores. A couple years later, sears made a craftsman "made in china" knock-off, killed the contract, and started selling the knock-off. Since the owner held a patent, he sued sears, and after a few years in a legal battle, he won with $6 million in damages awarded.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-bionic-wrench-sears-loses-patent-lawsuit-0517-biz-20170516-story.html

So, I'm a little curious if anyone else has stumbled upon this tool and if they actually used and/or found it useful.

#2 6 years ago

My dad had one, i think. I recall using it a few times, and it was so-so. My biggest issue with it was that the head was so large it frequently wouldn't fit wherever you'd need it. Also, didn't really have the strength to handle a really tough nut/bolt like one that was rusted, etc.

Interesting story though.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from nman:

My dad had one, i think. I recall using it a few times, and it was so-so. My biggest issue with it was that the head was so large it frequently wouldn't fit wherever you'd need it.

Literally this.

My dad has two, both slightly different in design. They're not bad for leg bolts, but not much else. Like nman said, the head is really large, so if you're planning on using it in a backbox, you might run into room issues. Also, the head part is very "thin" so gripping things dead on can be a challenge unless you can rest the tool against whatever the bolt is screwed into.

Cool in theory, clumsy in practice. Stick with a decent socket kit, imho.

#4 6 years ago

Just bought one the other day. Yep, sockets would be better. But I was in a jam, couldn’t get the head size. And it worked like a charm. Handy to have even with the above limitations

And I did not realize he won his lawsuit. Good for him. Didn’t think he had a a chance.

#5 6 years ago

Unfortunately I've used one... I have a friend that likes "as seen on tv" tools like these. I had forgot my tools while out servicing a machine and had to use this thing. It's like a crescent wrench, not really ever the right tool but was ok in a pinch.

#6 6 years ago

I Keep 2 sizes in the tool box....very handy, but not much use in pinball.

#7 6 years ago

When it comes to gimmicky tools and pinball, I've found a "dogbone" wrench to be invaluable. With 8 "sockets" permanently integrated on a slim tool, it's perfect for leg bolts because somehow there's always an oddball at pickup. And it's great for head bolts too - its sufficient clearance and gimbal heads allow it to swivel clear of any obstacle in EM to Sys11 heads. Its size allows good torque, and is big enough to not lose unlike a smaller ratchet / socket assortment. The magnetic button is handy too.

My in laws gave me one years ago and I never could find a good use for it... They suck for cars. But with pinball, it's become one of the top tools in the box.

download (resized).jpegdownload (resized).jpeg

#8 6 years ago

Not a fan of most of the new gadget tools, I prefer a good old fashioned socket or a regular wrench and not the one size fits all wrench, I do feel bad for the inventors as Sears clearly stole there idea.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

When it comes to gimmicky tools and pinball, I've found a "dogbone" wrench to be invaluable. With 8 "sockets" permanently integrated on a slim tool, it's perfect for leg bolts because somehow there's always an oddball at pickup. And it's great for head bolts too - its sufficient clearance and gimbal heads allow it to swivel clear of any obstacle in EM to Sys11 heads. Its size allows good torque, and is big enough to not lose unlike a smaller ratchet / socket assortment. The magnetic button is handy too.
    My in laws gave me one years ago and I never could find a good use for it... They suck for cars. But with pinball, it's become one of the top tools in the box.

The "Dog Bone" wrench was mainly used in the 50's and 60's for use on bicycles. There was a leather bag that attatched to the back if the seat. You would carry a Dog bone wrench, pliers, 2 screw drivers and a tire patch kit. That would cover just about any repair needed.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from Trekie:

The "Dog Bone" wrench was mainly used in the 50's and 60's for use on bicycles. There was a leather bag that attatched to the back if the seat. You would carry a Dog bone wrench, pliers, 2 screw drivers and a tire patch kit. That would cover just about any repair needed.

did not know about the dogbone... I have to get one of those.

#11 6 years ago

Dog Bones are great for doing oil changes I have a metric and standard so when you get under that car you always have the right size

#12 6 years ago

Never been a big user of universal tools -- just not specific enough for the application I usually need them for.

I do keep one of these at the bottom of the tool box:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

I prefer the slide adjuster over the thumb roller. Sometimes it helps out on an odd size or if I need a bit more torque on a smaller bolt/nut.

#13 6 years ago

I find that most of these oddball universal tools do a lot of things poorly but nothing well. I just stick with the tried and true tools. There is almost always a proper tool out there for the task at hand.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

This, but get the HF version. It fits perfectly in the glove compartment too, so I am never at a need for tools to assemble or disassemble a machine in a hurry. For those emergency situations.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-ever-use-the-bionic-wrench and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.