(Topic ID: 21093)

Anyone ever try silver leaf from the craft store? Data east apron.

By the_pin_family

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG0654.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

I dont know all the details but I've seen sheets of silver and golf leaf in sheets of paper. My understanding is you can.transfer the silver to your project with some nifty little trick I haven't googled yet. If Martha Stewart can do it I'm sure I can. Lol. See the missing silver on my apron. Any other suggestions are appreciated.

IMAG0654.jpgIMAG0654.jpg

#2 11 years ago

Hmmm i think i would just dab a little Testors silver over that--bet you can't tell after the playfield glass is on. Looks like an operator was working on it and laid his cigarette there.

#3 11 years ago

Im not sure about leaf adhering to plastic? It's usually used on metal (which is a pretty non-porous surface). I think your going way beyond what it needs to be fixed. Plus if that's burnt, you may need to fill it in (logo is raised). Like smokey said, some silver testors, or if you want to make sure you get the shinyness, use something by rustoleum, like this:
    http://rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=114

#4 11 years ago

Yea, I probably am over thinking it. Testors it is.

#5 11 years ago

For gold/silver leaf you need to apply a bonding agent. It is what holds the leaf to the surface. then burnish (rub) it with a soft cloth. Plastic or metal surface, it should not make a difference. I think the silver leaf on the apron is a good idea. Might have to try that out myself.

#6 11 years ago

I also have a LAH project waiting in que. The apron on it is far worse. I can see that on the little spot in the pic paint might be a better route but on the LAH the paint will probably look like......paint.

#7 11 years ago

I used a chrome paint pen. Really came out well. Easy to test underneath to see if it will match for you.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

I used a chrome paint pen. Really came out well. Easy to test underneath to see if it will match for you.

That's probably a good way to go. Was it oil or water based? Brand?

#9 11 years ago

I'll check when I get home tonight and report back. I remember doing some research to make sure I got something that looked as close to chrome as I could...

#10 11 years ago

Update: This is what I have and used:

http://www.krylon.com/products/short_cuts_hobbycraft_paint_pens/

#SCP902

#11 11 years ago

Thanks for looking nutty. Looks like something the craft store would sell. I'll check it out.

#12 11 years ago

No problem. It's not perfect but I ended up covering the whole logo FWIW. It looked pretty decent though.

#13 11 years ago

Thanks for the heads-up Nutty! I have a few scratches on my DE SW apron and that will do nicely!!

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

I also used a chrome/silver paint pen on the DE logo on my LW3 and it came out fantastic.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-ever-try-silver-leaf-from-the-craft-store-data-east-apron and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.