Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by bobbyt
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WOZ.jpg
    20140913_163238-714.jpg
    20140913_163252-871.jpg
    20140913_163308.jpg
    20140913_163318-666.jpg
    20140913_163356-748.jpg
    20140913_163634.jpg
    namuth003.jpg
    IMG_20140912_150624.jpg
    20140909_183227.jpg
    20140908_190439.jpg
    DeadTubbie.jpeg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

My wife and I decided we needed to paint the gameroom get some black light carpet etc. tonight we splatter painted the stairs into the basement. We are going to hang a bunch of metal signs and posters on these walls. Load up a sponge with paint and throw it....lol. The kids were eager to help.image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 9 years ago

If my wife came around that corner and I had just done that....she would push me down those stairs! post pics of the finished product- gutsy

#3 9 years ago

The wife has pretty good vision so I'm excited to see it completed too

#4 9 years ago

Good thing you used other colors besides red.

#5 9 years ago

Looks like the results of an alien gun fight I bet the kids really enjoyed helping with the paint job.

#6 9 years ago

Carried many a pin down staircases like that, not fun, the landing is too small to rotate the game on the handtruck. Looks like an old house, something weird on the ceiling above the stairs, low headroom situation?

#7 9 years ago

Cool Harley and thumbs up for having such a great wife (wish my wife were more involved and into pinball) and getting the kiddies involved. Those are memories they will NEVER forget.

Anyway, good luck the rest of the way.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from NYP:

Carried many a pin down staircases like that, not fun, the landing is too small to rotate the game on the handtruck. Looks like an old house, something weird on the ceiling above the stairs, low headroom situation?

That looks like masking paper and tape.

#9 9 years ago

At least you had the smarts to mask the ceiling before throwing yourself in this endeavour LOL! Gonna look awesome I'm sure. My wife would totally be into that. We are having a wreck the carpet "Halloween Party" this year ourselves.

#10 9 years ago

Lucky for me there is an outside entrance to get pins in the basement. The ceiling is still masked as the wall on the right is going to be a solid color. (Not sure what color she has picked out). So more painting today.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from OldHarley:

Lucky for me there is an outside entrance to get pins in the basement. The ceiling is still masked as the wall on the right is going to be a solid color. (Not sure what color she has picked out). So more painting today.

OK. THAT is pretty cool.

#12 9 years ago

Hey, it worked for Jackson Pollock.

#13 9 years ago

Sorry dude , that does not look good at all, no offense. You could easily mask off a simple design using tape and painting in different colors to achieve a really cool effect. As a professional designer, I would draw and design this for you free of charge, and offer my services , just to stop you from this mess of a paint job you are creating. I mean no disrespect, I am just trying to come up with a better solution of a paint design , than throwing painted sponges at the wall. I don't want you to regret this later. I would need photos of all the walls in the gameroom, and I could design a concept that is easy to layout and paint.......again free of charge

#14 9 years ago

You're a brave man Blake!! Looks like you had a blast! Literally! Click Click BOOM!!!

#15 9 years ago

Thanks for the offer mod. This is just the first step. By the time the posters and signs are up I think it will come together. Only the stair way gets this magic paint job. And even of its ugly watching my girls help was priceless.

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from OldHarley:

Thanks for the offer mod. This is just the first step. By the time the posters and signs are up I think it will come together. Only the stair way gets this magic paint job. And even of its ugly watching my girls help was priceless.

While at first glance, I agree with Mod, I think there are a few factors here that outweigh "planning out a high-end designer 'stairway to the basement' suitable for a more adult eye to raise the home value."

1) his children are creating this with him -- what is more important than creating good memories with family/friends?
    2) stairways are places you pass through, not places you hang out in and admire art, if any spot in the house is going to be random, have lots of movement, and look colorful, why not the stairs...

I salute this effort, and I think it's great that you are including your kids in "owning" a part of the home with you. That's good for their self-esteem. They will show their friends the staircase they had fun painting, and their friends will say what?"

"I wish MY parents were this cool !"

So...

(I'm going to assume your kids are 5-10 yrs old and not 25-30. If that's the case, I say well done, sir.)

Include your kids in owning/designing SOME part of the home so they can brag about how awesome you are to include them in the process of creating a fun family with you!

-mof

#17 9 years ago

I would take mod up on his offer and table his design till your kids are older and then help with mod's design. Win Win for all. I'm also curious to see what mod comes up with, so you'd have to post it here. Of course half the people will like it and half the people will hate it.

#18 9 years ago

Here is the final stairway picture. And no I'm not moving anytime soon so I'm not concerned about home value...otherwise I wouldn't put black light carpet in the basement. Not sure what mod with do that element...image.jpgimage.jpg

#19 9 years ago

My wife wonders if mod would approve of the green and black paint. She has been making fun of him all day I had to move the 14 pins into my wood shop until the carpet comes.

image.jpgimage.jpg
    #20 9 years ago

All but four pins in hiding until the carpet comes.image.jpgimage.jpg

#21 9 years ago

Is that my wolfy hiding behind spider-man? lol

#23 9 years ago

It looks like the Teletubbies were murdered down there........which is fine with me.

DeadTubbie.jpegDeadTubbie.jpeg
    #25 9 years ago

Damn....I have workshop envy.

#26 9 years ago

I did a "monster" themed room in purple with my Monster Bash game in it. I set the blinds on soem big sheets of cardboard and dipped a paint brush in the same purple and flicked and splattered it on the blinds and the out;let and switch covers. It turned out really cool.
    Love what you did too!

1 month later
    #27 9 years ago

Carpet finally arrived.20140908_190439.jpg20140908_190439.jpg need to get the pins back out of hiding.20140909_183227.jpg20140909_183227.jpg

#28 9 years ago

The carpet looks good. The guys look bored. Don't worry Harley, people thought I was insane too when I painted over the original red brick fireplace/wall and turned it glossy electric lime green. Do what makes you happy, especially if you aren't planning on moving. There's always more paint.

#29 9 years ago

Agreed with the others, do whatever you want or whatever you think is fun. And if you have a change of heart at some other point in time, do whatever seems fun at that point in time.

We're doing some non-traditional painting around my house too... but not quite as brave as electric lime green, or teletubbie splatter, but still non-traditional enough that I'm sure we would get plenty of critics too. (We are at war with the white painted trim/interior doors/fireplace, and with all the natural wood stained cabinets in the kitchen and bathrooms in our house)

Life's too short not to have fun with it.

I approve of the green and black. Reminds me of our pantry door (green/dark grey... overexposed camera photo washing out color).
    IMG_20140912_150624.jpgIMG_20140912_150624.jpg

#30 9 years ago

The Rorschach test comes to mind.......I see a multi coloured dragon playing a STTNG machine with a bunch of oompa loompa's drinking bourbon out of glow in the dark mini buckets......Hey!! it's all in the interpretation of the individual

#31 9 years ago

They are waiting to move the pins out of the wood shop. I'll have to post a picture of them with their happy faces playing pinball.

#32 9 years ago

It looks like a clown exploded!

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from swedishc:

It looks like a clown exploded!

Actually it looks like the same stuff that most art galleries sell for thousands and thousands of dollars!!! OP get your wife some canvas and start selling her stuff at galleries!!!!

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Actually it looks like the same stuff that most art galleries sell for thousands and thousands of dollars!!! OP get your wife some canvas and start selling her stuff at galleries!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_11,_1952_%28painting%29

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from OldHarley:

Carpet finally arrived. need to get the pins back out of hiding.

20140908_190439.jpg 342 KB

20140909_183227.jpg 314 KB

The dog seems more excited about the room than the humans.

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

Hey, it worked for Jackson Pollock.

Or also known as....... Jack The Dripper

namuth003.jpgnamuth003.jpg

#37 9 years ago

Ok here it is finished.20140913_163238-714.jpg20140913_163238-714.jpg20140913_163252-871.jpg20140913_163252-871.jpg20140913_163308.jpg20140913_163308.jpg20140913_163318-666.jpg20140913_163318-666.jpg20140913_163356-748.jpg20140913_163356-748.jpg20140913_163634.jpg20140913_163634.jpg

#38 9 years ago

Turned out great!

Even the carpet looks a bit WOZish....

WOZ.jpgWOZ.jpg

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from OldHarley:

Carpet finally arrived. need to get the pins back out of hiding.

20140908_190439.jpg 342 KB

20140909_183227.jpg 314 KB

That's a funny picture man ... 4 dudes and 3 are hard out twiddling on their phones.

Pretty much sums up today's society ...

Room came up cool BTW! Looks like a good space down there.

rd.

#40 9 years ago

Dang I still want an oz. waiting for the right deal

#41 9 years ago

I think it all looks absolutely awesome. Its an arcade not a formal area. You can always paint over it for minimal cost down the road if it doesn't suit you. Arcades are supposed to be funky and over the top.

#42 9 years ago

love the layout , and the 50's style eating area you threw in there !!

#43 9 years ago

I like the stairs, why not do something like that, fun look given what's at the bottom.

I'm sure like many here though I see one big perplexing issue.... so much pin space wasted on other objects

Quoted from rotordave:

That's a funny picture man ... 4 dudes and 3 are hard out twiddling on their phones.

Pretty much sums up today's society ...

I say 4, it looks like the other guy is just to lazy to hold the weight of it.

#44 9 years ago

The whole thing looks great.

#45 9 years ago

comic books! Looks great - nice place.

#46 9 years ago

You and your family did an amazing job. Great the kids helped!

Hide the cords and you have perfection (I'm a cord hider snob).

Dave

#47 9 years ago

The only thing that I would add is 2 or 3 arcade cocktail tables (or one of the 60 in 1) in the open space between the kitchen and the booths. Or left of the kitchen under the neon pinball sign.

Absolutely great work.

1 week later
    #48 9 years ago

yep mame machine is on its way! Now I need to figure out what to do with the five machines still packed in the woodshop... need more space

#49 9 years ago
    Quoted from OldHarley:

yep mame machine is on its way! Now I need to figure out what to do with the five machines still packed in the woodshop... need more space

I wish I had your problems, lol, game room looks awesome, great job!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-ever-splatter-paint-check-this-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.