(Topic ID: 248695)

Anyone ever sell their entire collection? Regrets? Relief?

By Nikonokin

11 months ago

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by vidgameseller
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 months ago

Hey all...here it goes...I got into pinball about 5 years ago playing at my local pinball bar The Pyramid Scheme. A great place for lovers of pinball in West Michigan. So...I've bought several....sold a couple, currently have 5 machines at home in my basement, and man do they look great. My basement has a curved wall that's all windows with a view....literally couldn't be a better set-up for pinball. Lately, they've been more of a beautiful visual than actually getting used. They look great, but I only get on them for a few games every couple months. A few years back, I became highly allergic to cannabis...my 1st love. I used to love getting stoned and playing pinball, and I think now that I've lost that ability it's just not the same. Don't get me wrong...I love pinball still. But I just don't play that much anymore, that was sort of my routine. Like losing a friend...

Has anyone here ever sold their entire collection? Did you regret it? I mean...I can always start another one someday and maybe not having them...absence makes the heart grow fonder is so true...maybe I'll fall back in love all over again and it will get me back into the hour long sessions I used to have. And then again...it's expensive and might get harder to rebuild from scratch.

I'm not looking for anyone to tell me what to do...rather...have any of you ever sold your collection and regretted it? Or sold it and never looked back? There's always a few spots to go play and get your fix. I just hope they don't keep sitting around, they are some real cherries. The things are so damn expensive though I get embarrassed at the idea of them not getting any love. I still play sometimes but usually just a 1 game and then back to off. If there ever was a 1st world problem...sorry in advance for even stoking the coals...

Maybe it's just a phase...any of you ever take a break for a year or 2 and get right back into it?

#2 11 months ago

I think there are those on here that have done both. I started collecting W/B games 15 years ago and I created a nice collection. (17 Games) But like many others, I ended up wanting to finance the building of my house so I pondered selling them all because I had a substantial investment. (I could get close to $100,000) I knew I would probably not get the opportunity to buy them again because the price had doubled and sometimes tripled on what I paid for them.
    So I ended up selling 15. I stopped at my last two favorites. I couldn't do it. I couldn't give up the MM and SS. So I didn't end up selling them all. That was the end of 2017. I since have rebounded some and I have seven now. I know I won't be able to afford to get the rest of them back, but a guy can always try...

#3 11 months ago

We are actually "toying" with the idea right now. My son got me into the hobby about a year after we bought a house together. (He & his wife have the main house and my wife & I have the In-Law area and most of the basement). Anyway about a year after we bought the house he came up with the idea of doing a gameroom in the basement and had we stopped there all likely would have been great. But he & I both got into the "pinball business". We don't work together but he is doing his thing with his "new stuff" and I am parting out "junk machines" and selling used parts.

Sadly neither of us has time these days to even turn a pinball machine on so basically the entire gameroom just sits unused most of the year. Every year around Christmas I clean it up and we play machines a little over the Holidays but otherwise they just seem to sit. We both feel bad to have dozens of machines just sitting - unfinished projects sitting for years - etc.

My wife's favorite machine is Jungle Lord and I sold hers a few years back. Three years ago I bought a nicer one for her that needed some work. Last year before Christmas I started working on that to surprise her at Christmas but I never got it finished. It is working 100% (thanks to my son doing all the board work on it) and it is 90% shopped but I need at do about another two hours work on it and it has been sitting that way since last November. Stuff like that kind of takes the fun out of the hobby for us right now!

Getting some of our investment back and downsizing would be nice but that takes time neither of us really have right now. So I have been talking about just contacting Lloyd (coinopwarehouse) and just selling it all to him. I know it isn't the smartest way to sell off machines but the excitement just isn't there anymore so even thinking about selling them off seems like too much of an effort. Our issue is it doesn't just end with machines - we have tons of parts and other stuff associated with the hobby/business and it seems like the walls are closing in on us.

#4 11 months ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

We are actually "toying" with the idea right now. My son got me into the hobby about a year after we bought a house together. (He & his wife have the main house and my wife & I have the In-Law area and most of the basement). Anyway about a year after we bought the house he came up with the idea of doing a gameroom in the basement and had we stopped there all likely would have been great. But he & I both got into the "pinball business". We don't work together but he is doing his thing with his "new stuff" and I am parting out "junk machines" and selling used parts.
    Sadly neither of us has time these days to even turn a pinball machine on so basically the entire gameroom just sits unused most of the year. Every year around Christmas I clean it up and we play machines a little over the Holidays but otherwise they just seem to sit. We both feel bad to have dozens of machines just sitting - unfinished projects sitting for years - etc.
    My wife's favorite machine is Jungle Lord and I sold hers a few years back. Three years ago I bought a nicer one for her that needed some work. Last year before Christmas I started working on that to surprise her at Christmas but I never got it finished. It is working 100% (thanks to my son doing all the board work on it) and it is 90% shopped but I need at do about another two hours work on it and it has been sitting that way since last November. Stuff like that kind of takes the fun out of the hobby for us right now!
    Getting some of our investment back and downsizing would be nice but that takes time neither of us really have right now. So I have been talking about just contacting Lloyd (coinopwarehouse) and just selling it all to him. I know it isn't the smartest way to sell off machines but the excitement just isn't there anymore so even thinking about selling them off seems like too much of an effort. Our issue is it doesn't just end with machines - we have tons of parts and other stuff associated with the hobby/business and it seems like the walls are closing in on us.

Gotta start somewhere! Just start selling games one at a time to downsize, that's what me and my wife did. Granted I had 10 machines before we moved and kept 5, (not as much as your situation), but you have to start somewhere.
    Just my .02

#5 11 months ago

Time to share that collection. Have pinball parties or tournaments at your house. It will get you pumped even just watching others play them.

#6 11 months ago

I sold my whole collection. Wasn’t playing much was tying up 25k and wife wasn’t playing either. Now a year later I am just getting back into it buying just a few second hand games that are mint and reduced price.

#7 11 months ago

Ive done it 3 times.
    A small collection when I moved in 1973,
    In 1988, around 30 pre war games, and 8 EMs. Airway, skyride, jigger,
    Skipper....
    and in 2000, when my health went south and my tech
    died....ICB for $300, TOTAN for $2K,
    kinda days, around 25 pins.
    So 20 years now...time to start selling the low hanging fruit.

#8 11 months ago

Just sold off my entire collection over the last mo for an upcoming move. Can't tell you if I regret it yet but it definitely freed up a lot of cash. There is no doubt in my mind that I will slowly start to rebuild over the next couple years after the move.

#9 10 months ago

After a few years of scaling back I think I may be ready to just tear it off like a band-aid. Doubt there are many here that are into this era but here is the list.

1933 Baby Leland - Sold
    1956 Williams 4 Bagger - Sale pending
    1950 United Skee Alley -1200
    1930s Carnival Skill Crane - 375
    1958 Bally Skill Roll - Sale pending
    1952 Munves Set Shot Basketball - 2500
    1968 Smarty Pinball - 600
    1966 Big Strike Pinball - Sold
    1967 Kickoff Pinball - 750
    1953 Joker's Wild Dice Game - 200
    1940s Exhibit Peep Machine - 850
    1940s Exhibit Love tester - 600
    1954 AMI F80 jukebox project - 425
    1930s mini coin-op pool table - 750

Local pick-up takes priority.

#10 10 months ago

Giving up pinball and Cannabis....

I don't want to live in that world.

#11 10 months ago

I had as many as 5 at one point and found myself not playing them. Sold 4 and kept a project cyclone. It sat untouched for two years but I felt good knowing I had at least one pin. I caught the bug again, fixed up the cyclone and bought two more pins. Lost interest again and now I'm back to one pin (AFMr). I'm not sure I could ever go cold turkey, and I don't feel guilty about having one pin that doesn't get played often. If I had 50k in pins just sitting there, then I might feel guilty about it.

#12 10 months ago

A wall of windows does not sound like a perfect pin environment to me. Sell them so they don't fade away in a slow death

#13 10 months ago

I have over 40 pins set up, and rarely play them, as in I have not turned one on to play this year at all. I went and checked the audits a few weeks ago on my Avatar that I bought NIB 9 years ago. It has 100 plays on it, so like I said, the games never get played. I have rental houses, and have thought of selling the collection to buy another house.

I think that selling one at a time really doesn't help much because bills just eat a way through that money. But selling some to fund other adventures (vacation, another house, etc) then its good in my mind

I sold 4 machines early last year to put a down payment on another house, never missed them, and in fact, now have bought each title back, I already have the house loan down enough to maybe sell a few more off and just pay the new house off, so I might do that. But then ill get the itch to buy another house and let the cycle continue, lol

#14 10 months ago

That's how I feel about my metal record collection. Records are hot now and I have tons of limited editions. I could get 15 k if I decide to let go. I go back and forth with the idea. In the end it's just stuff that takes too much space

#15 10 months ago

I did,because I needed the money

#17 10 months ago
    Quoted from vidgameseller:

I sold 4 early last year to put a down payment on another house, never missed them, and in fact, now have bought each title back.

You sold them last year and didn't miss them but you've bought each title back already? You missed them enough to get them again.

#18 10 months ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

You sold them last year and didn't miss them but you've bought each title back already? You missed them enough to get them again.

Its not that I missed them, but dealing in pins like I do, If I come across one again in a deal, ill hold on to it like a savings account. Having titles like CV and such is always an easy sell if I want to liquidate

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 1,400.00
    $ 144.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    The MOD Couple
    $ 40.00
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 12.50
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Haus
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    £ 55.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 9.90
    Playfields
    The Super Fasteners
    $ 400.00
    Playfields
    Maple Street Sign Shop
    £ 50.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 19.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 18.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 16.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 14.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside