4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by frb
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Have you ever adjusted an uneven location game?”

• Yes 15 votes
      71%
    • No 6 votes
      29%

(21 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 4 years ago

Does anyone do this? If a game is clearly sloping left to right or vice versa, is it okay to adjust the leg levellers to fix it? On the one hand, it is someone else's game. On the other, it seems like a pretty fundamental thing for an operator to check when they put a game on location- and you are paying money to play it.

#2 4 years ago

Level it? You're lucky if it actually works well.

#3 4 years ago

Hell yeah I'll level it!!!

My brother and his friend and I were at a theater to play two pins there, I got under the pin and did the 'old "back lift" while someone adjusted the feet. The theater manager came over and said, "What are you guys doing?" and I said, "It's ok, we're professional amateur pinball players, and we're just adjusting the slope...." He just looked at us and said, "Um, ok."

We always joke that we should keep a tool belt on when playing "on location"! Either that or simply come in with worker's overalls and tell the people there we're taking the pin away for repairs - that'd build our collection quickly!!

-Nate

#5 4 years ago

used to have to all the time. They were never leveled correctly. Mostly due to people slide the machine around. Move it over 5 " and now you're in a lump in the carpet or something and everything is different.

#6 4 years ago

Ive done it a couple times. I dont feel right doing it.

#7 4 years ago

I don't mind when people dirty level the games but is irritating when they try to adjust the pitch.

#8 4 years ago

Nope, if it's a place I frequent I tell the owner/operator. Otherwise I leave it alone to avoid confrontation.

#9 4 years ago

No, and for 2 reasons.

1. I don't want to manipulate a game that isn't mine.

2. If the operator can't be bothered leveling it, then I can't be bothered putting my money into it (except for perhaps the initial game where I discovered that it was not level in the first place).

#10 4 years ago

does putting a couple beer coasters under it count?

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from allthumbs:

Yep. The operators in NYC don't really seem to care if the machines are pitched and leveled well. It's a personal pet peeve. A couple coasters under a leg will do wonders.

#12 4 years ago

Yes
    Though most games on location near me are perfectly leveled already

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from allthumbs:

just for your pride

As a person with games on location, preference is always to get the call/txt/message when something is wrong with a game. I prefer to be the one to fix it rather than a player deciding to do it on their own.

You would be amazed how games can get out of level from regular nudging (even with locking nuts on tight). It is something I check for on a regular basis and try to be sure to always play test when I clean weekly.

It can be frustrating as a player when a game is out of whack, but I always try to call the operator first.

#14 4 years ago

Whysnow, if every operator was as responsive as you, there would be no need for coasters.

#15 4 years ago

I just lift pin and put something under a leg like a folded up napkin or whatever is in the area. Similiar to what i would do if a table i was sitting at was rocking back and forth.

#16 4 years ago

Sugar packets. Ghetto leveling.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from allthumbs:

Whysnow, if every operator was as responsive as you, there would be no need for coasters.

Thanks I appreciate that!

We really do try and I wish more games in our area played better. I have offered my services for free to some of the other larger locations in Madison but was turned down. More good playing pinball on location is a good thing from my perspective.

I really hope someday I can find a bigger spot on the eastside (or downtown) of Madison where we can expand to 8-12 games like we have on the westside. If anyone evers hears of a good spot on this side of town with room for 4+ games then please message me.

1 week later
    #18 4 years ago

Isn't that what matchbooks are for?

#19 4 years ago

Not a pinball story, but similar. Two buddies and I used to play a Super Chexx at Bryce's Too in Shawnee KS in the late 90s/early 00s. Some of the player washers were stripped and players would pop out. We always took Allen wrenches with us to open the dome and put them back in. Then the plastic cracked in the goalie crease, so we went next door to the grocery store, bought clear packing tape, and taped it up. Years later, the game was removed, but I wrote down the contact info at some point. The bar the vendor moved it to didn't get any action, and it was too far for us to drive to. I made him and offer of $600 and he delivered it to my duplex at the time. The game is still in my buddy's garage in Olathe, KS!!

#20 4 years ago

I once saw a guy at the PHOF lowering the back casters so the pitch would be level as he said the games were too steep and ripping people off. I told the kid there and he said I could care less as long as they don't put soda on them. I told Sal this story when I was down there for Nationals a couple weeks ago and he proceeded to tell me that he has a guy that comes in there with steel toe boots and places the front legs down on them while he plays so there is no pitch!

#21 4 years ago

Yes, but at both locations that are local to me, I have been handed keys to the machines on several occasions, so I'm not really sure it counts for me LMAO.

I've been all up in their junk. It's good to be a repeat tourney director and friendly with your local ops!

#22 4 years ago

No,not lately-

PHOF has a Big Brave pin that I noticed had been leaning heavily to
    the right for over 2 yrs!!

Many times I felt like crawling on my knees to correct the leaning
    issue but just kept quiet b/c they have bigger fish to fry.

In a perfect world,Tim hires several techs,and all games are playing well.

But we don't live in a perfect world!!!

#23 4 years ago

No but I turned one off last week. I was playing a Scared Stiff and the ball wouldn't eject from the spider hole. When I told the attendant she came over and repeatedly lifted the front end of the game 6 inches or so and dropped it. I'm standing there will my jaw on the ground saying no no stop what are you doing!
    I told her I'd show her how to open the game up and remove the ball but she said that wouldn't be allowed. Anyway she put two more credits on the game for my troubles (dispite the fact the ball still hadn't come out and was flashing TILT!) I waited until she turned around and then turned it off on the cabinet.

#24 4 years ago

At this barcade that I go to every now and then, they have a Stern Star Trek pro. Theres a small piece of metal right where the ball drains that looks like a paper clip that had come loose.
    No vendor name on the arcade games at all.
    I asked the guy if I could open the glass and put the piece back in place since the machine couldn't play with balls jammed against it.
    I told him I have no interest in touching the money and he can watch me to verify I am not being dishonest.
    He looked and looked but couldn't find the key (he probably didn't have one since I am guessing the machines belong to a route operator).
    We powered the machine down and that's the way it stayed for a while.
    When I went back there about 2 months later, it was finally fixed.
    Man, I want to clean the playfield on that machine so bad. The route operator puts zero effort into maintenance. I would almost pay them just to see that playfield not get so dirty.
    Those of you in NH / Mass area, I am talking about Winners Circle in Salisbury.

#25 4 years ago

yes - that's what beer coasters are for

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jasontaps:

At this barcade that I go to every now and then, they have a Stern Star Trek pro. Theres a small piece of metal right where the ball drains that looks like a paper clip that had come loose.
    No vendor name on the arcade games at all.
    I asked the guy if I could open the glass and put the piece back in place since the machine couldn't play with balls jammed against it.
    I told him I have no interest in touching the money and he can watch me to verify I am not being dishonest.
    He looked and looked but couldn't find the key (he probably didn't have one since I am guessing the machines belong to a route operator).
    We powered the machine down and that's the way it stayed for a while.
    When I went back there about 2 months later, it was finally fixed.
    Man, I want to clean the playfield on that machine so bad. The route operator puts zero effort into maintenance. I would almost pay them just to see that playfield not get so dirty.
    Those of you in NH / Mass area, I am talking about Winners Circle in Salisbury.

It's frustrating when there's a simple problem and they won't let you fix it, near me there was an avengers with a broken plastic blocking the shooter lane which would get balls stuck, took weeks to finally get fixed and the staff just kept saying their tech would need to look at it. This place is terrible though, they rotate their games luckily but when a pin breaks it stays broken so long as it takes peoples money, that same avengers ended up with a broken hulk and cube and they never got fixed despite being game ruining. They currently have an avatar that's also broken yet we see the tech there some days "working" on the pins yet never fixing anything.

#27 4 years ago

ALL THE TIME!!!!!!

More coasters,we need more coasters!!!

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Isn't that what matchbooks are for?

They sure were back in the 70s when I was a kid.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 6.00
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 8.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 23.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 12.95
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 8.00
    Cabinet Parts
    RPGCor
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 7,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    RGP Models
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Flashinstinct
    $ 400.00
    Playfields
    Maple Street Sign Shop
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 109.99
    Boards
    KAHR.US Circuits
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pinball Z
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside