(Topic ID: 12442)

~Anyone ever "make their own" pin?

By Juggernaut

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0195.jpg
    portable_pinmame_02.jpg
    portable_pinmame_01.jpg
    1st_pinmame.jpg

#1 12 years ago

just wondered is anyone has ever made their own pin?

I think it would be a fun project using an old cabinet and available EM parts.

lay everything out for table design and art..

#2 12 years ago

Quite a few people actually. There is a guy on here making his own custom pin from parts, he even made his own style dot matrix. There is two people I have heard of making MM from all the parts (one that checks into this site every now and again to give us an update. A guy on here rethemed a pinball machine to an Evil Dead machine that looks spectacular. I have seen someone take a CSI pin and turn it into a Dexter pin. And my favorite so far I have seen is the Futurama pin. Oh and there is a guy on here now talking about making a Hellraiser pin.

#3 12 years ago

Skys the limit, I have seen things that people are doing here that blow my mind...

#4 12 years ago

I haven't made one but want to and have started collecting parts for a future protect one day.

Anyone have any thread links to other guys creations.

#5 12 years ago

Yes, threads please. I hear people talk about retheming(is that a word?) there pins but I've yet to see one complete. I'm off to google now.

#6 12 years ago

I'd say after you Restored this WH20 , You Would have Created Yr Own pin !!!

ebay.com link: WILLIAMS WHITE WATER PINBALL MACHINE PROJECT PARTS

#7 12 years ago

I've made PinMAME cabs before and here is a pic of my first one which I used 3 LCD screens. I just recently finished off a portable PinMAME unit for a friend from scratch including the case. If anyone is interested I can post up a build thread with lots of pics and details. It plays over 270 tables from AFM, CV, TOTAN, MB, SS, WH20, IJ, TSPP and many more. Here is a video of it in action:

1st_pinmame.jpg1st_pinmame.jpg portable_pinmame_01.jpgportable_pinmame_01.jpg portable_pinmame_02.jpgportable_pinmame_02.jpg

#8 12 years ago

YES please post picture of a virtual pinaball build in a dedicated thread! I would love to have a tutorial thread to learn from!

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

I'd say after you Restored this WH20 , You Would have Created Yr Own pin !!!
    ebay.com link: WILLIAMS WHITE WATER PINBALL MACHINE PROJECT PARTS

awwwww poor thing

#10 12 years ago

I build a Virtual pin but there was enough wiring it felt like I was building a real one.
    Some of the tables like AFM it plays very close to the real thing.
    There are contactors (you feel and hear them) for the flippers and all the popup bumpers etc…
    A wiper motor to simulate gear motors. (you can hear it when AFM targets drop)
    Shaker motor with variable intensity.

(If you watch this don’t forget to switch it to HD on the bottom right)
    TOM,AFM

IMG_0195.jpgIMG_0195.jpg

#11 12 years ago

I'm putting the final touches on mine as we speak. It's a from-scratch build... nearly everything is custom. We'll be unveiling it at the Texas Pinball Festival in less than 3 weeks!

- Gerry
    http://www.pinballcontrollers.com

#12 12 years ago

I looked doing one, but the cost of making a dmd is insane.

WPC or Whitestar donor is gonna run 1k.

500 for the extra hardware.

? Parts

Artwork is going to run 200-300 to do the cabinet. Translite is another 50-100 to print off. Never figured out how to do the pf art.

It just got more and more expensive to the point that it wasn't worth it.

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from gstellenberg:

I'm putting the final touches on mine as we speak. It's a from-scratch build... nearly everything is custom. We'll be unveiling it at the Texas Pinball Festival in less than 3 weeks!
    - Gerry

Cool do you have a build blog?

#14 12 years ago

I haven't talked about it much, but I am actually about 90% complete with my retheme project, Ghostbusters! I have been working on it since last April and it shouldn't be long now before it's playable. It already looks like a complete game. I'll be sure to post pics and vids here when I get to the grand unveiling.

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I haven't talked about it much, but I am actually about 90% complete with my retheme project, Ghostbusters! I have been working on it since last April and it shouldn't be long now before it's playable. It already looks like a complete game. I'll be sure to post pics and vids here when I get to the grand unveiling.

YEAH, that would have been a great game to DMD too bad they didn't. Which machine did you put on the block?

#16 12 years ago
    Quoted from Betelgeuse:

complete with my retheme project, Ghostbusters!

what are you retheming?

#17 12 years ago

It *was* a Flash Gordon. It worked perfectly, but the playfield was blown out and the cabinet was rough.

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinballlooking:

gstellenberg said:I'm putting the final touches on mine as we speak. It's a from-scratch build... nearly everything is custom. We'll be unveiling it at the Texas Pinball Festival in less than 3 weeks!
    - Gerry

I started one, yes, but I've intentionally held off updating it for a while as I've been preparing for TPF.

BTW - I'm giving a presentation at TPF on Custom Pinball Machine Control Systems. If you're interested in building your own machine, you might want to check it out.

- Gerry

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from gstellenberg:

pinballlooking said:gstellenberg said:I'm putting the final touches on mine as we speak. It's a from-scratch build... nearly everything is custom. We'll be unveiling it at the Texas Pinball Festival in less than 3 weeks!
    - Gerry
    I started one, yes, but I've intentionally held off updating it for a while as I've been preparing for TPF.
    BTW - I'm giving a presentation at TPF on Custom Pinball Machine Control Systems. If you're interested in building your own machine, you might want to check it out.
    - Gerry

Post a link I would love to check it out.
    If I was going to TPF I would be there. Very interesting stuff!

#20 12 years ago
    Quoted from futurepinhead:

that would have been a great game to DMD too bad they didn't

Well, no plans on a DMD at this point, but I am doing custom audio and adding some playfield toys. There's always room for expansion on a project like this, but I think it will stand on it's own.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-ever-make-their-own-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.