Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by aerobert
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ff8_family_de (resized).jpg
    untitled (resized).JPG
    BKaudio1 (resized).jpg
    BKaudio2 (resized).jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aerobert.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 6 years ago

Resurrecting this one. I'm looking to install a small car amp to power the 8ohm cabinet subwoofer someone installed as a replacement in my Tales from the Crypt. Volume is simply too low as the original widerange woofer uses 4ohm, I need to amplify it just a bit.

I was thinking about a small 12V TPA3116 board first but it only gives 10W at 12V input. Maye not enough.

If I install a car amp, would it be safe to take +12V from the incoming transformer voltage to the amp? Or would it be safer to power it from an external supply? I was thinking I could use the service outlet, but unfortunately there was none installed and I don't want to wire in one myself.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from aerobert:

Resurrecting this one. I'm looking to install a small car amp to power the 8ohm cabinet subwoofer someone installed as a replacement in my Tales from the Crypt. Volume is simply too low as the original widerange woofer uses 4ohm, I need to amplify it just a bit.
    I was thinking about a small 12V TPA3116 board first but it only gives 10W at 12V input. Maye not enough.
    If I install a car amp, would it be safe to take +12V from the incoming transformer voltage to the amp? Or would it be safer to power it from an external supply? I was thinking I could use the service outlet, but unfortunately there was none installed and I don't want to wire in one myself.

#15 6 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I'd put a switch for the amp inside the coin door if I use the service outlet.

I really just need a small boost. But I don't know where I would get the -12V from without an adapter. Since most of these boards uses a standard connector (+ on pin, - on outside)

#17 6 years ago

Maybe I should be thinking the other way round? Put some resistors on the backbox speakers so I can turn up the volume without them screaming at me. It will pump a bit more juice to the center speaker.

#20 6 years ago

Ok cool. I will look into an L-pad. Not sure how it would be wired in though.

Yes I could replace the speaker back.to a 4 ohm one. I look through all my options, and one option is to keep the bass speaker even if it's 8ohms. It adds a nice needed low sound to DE games. And the speaker installed is brand new and looks pretty decent.

#22 6 years ago

Thank you very much!

1 week later
    #23 6 years ago

Ok I swapped for a 4 ohm subwoofer which improved it further. Will have to install a L-pad to lower the volume of the backbox speaker. Very good bass if I turn up the volume now. I also have a 150hz filter on the way.

I've seen that people usually hook up a 8 ohm mono L-pad to the backbox speakers. Not sure how that works when they are wired stereo and 4ohm...

#25 6 years ago

Sounds reasonable, but let's say I use the standard sound board amps. What are flipperfidelity using? Their systems only include one L-pad. Looks like a mono setup to me (one 3 pin attenuator)

#27 6 years ago

That makes sense. Thank you so much for explaining.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aerobert.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-ever-install-a-car-amp-in-a-pin?tu=aerobert and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.