(Topic ID: 16193)

Anyone ever have luck trading for machines out in the wild?

By ReWrite

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by ReWrite
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ReWrite.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

So a local pizza joint has a Soprano's pin that's been collecting dust for over a year. They haven't bothered to fix it and it just sits there with an "Out of order" sign on it, more recently no sign, just turned off, I'm told it's still broken when I asked about playing it last month. I'm considering offering up one of my machines in exchange for it. They get something that works and brings in some cash, I get a machine that's worth more than any I currently own and I have some interest in, could be a win-win. Anyone try something like that? If so, how'd it go? I've heard of a lot of guys buying machines in the wild, but how about trading for 'em?

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Never hurts to ask.
    I always think cash gives you a better chance than trade...

I figure that too, but I don't have the cash to just offer to purchase it.

Quoted from goatdan:

Depends. I say go for it, but work it as a legit trade with someone. They'll think their machine is worth more than it is.
    I know of a guy who got a MM from an operator a couple years ago by buying him a NIB machine. Operator got something without trouble to make him money (the MM had some issues), the guy got the MM he had been wanting for what was even at the time a great deal. Win-win. The operator didn't want to buy a new pin though.
    Who knows -- might work out well for you!

I figure there's a chance he'll just know that his is broken, and mine's not and be happy to have a working machine. And on top of that, The Sopranos would have a great home where it'd get fixed up and get a ton of play. I don't want to screw anyone over or anything, but if they just see it as a machine to make them money, I think it'd be a good deal for everyone.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Is the machine you are wanting to trade your judge dread? If so, I would keep that over Sopranos. Sopranos is fun but JD is a better game IMHO.
    I have heard JD is not a good route game cause it commonly needs tweaking???

Yeah, I'd be trading Dredd for it. Or if possible an arcade cab or two. I haven't had JD long enough to really notice it needs tweaking or anything. I have a pretty big love for the theme, and at very worst, it's not a machine I wouldn't be able to trade for something I did like if I came to dislike the gameplay.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

I think some places just want a pin, so selling is negative for them because they lose it. If you traded I think you may have a good chance or offer to work on it for xyz

That's where I was coming from. I'd be equally willing to fix it up if I got to play it for free when I was in, haha.

Quoted from goatdan:

ReWrite said:I haven't had JD long enough to really notice it needs tweaking or anything.
    Dredd earns like garbage though. Even if The Sopranos is off, it probably makes more money than a JD would. And yeah, sadly I'm serious.
    From a value or earnings standpoint, that doesn't make sense to the location. I would try doing something else if you could. I believe it's always better to help out the location / operator because in the long run, it's way nicer if you're friends with them than if not. DM would be a way better pin in the same price range as JD if you can find it... Good luck, no matter what.

Well, that new Dredd movie coming out in September could give it some short-lived hype. Honestly if this doesn't work I think I'll sit on JD for a while, I really enjoyed the comics in my teens (the mid-90's ones), so I won't feel bad if it stays in my game room for a while .

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ReWrite.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-ever-have-luck-trading-for-machines-out-in-the-wild?tu=ReWrite and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.