Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Rezdog
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2B3006C1-7460-453B-A6E8-32FB91C1FAAC (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

I woke up yesterday morning and my right eyelid didn’t blink and things tasted funny. This morning o was talking like Sylvester Stallone and my smile was one sided and if I raised my eyebrows I looked like Spock.the wife insisted I go to the Dr. The doc aske what the problem was and I t raise my eyebrow and smiled and she laughed and said “ you have Bells Palsy”. Soooo I get to drool on myself for a couple of weeks till it goes away.

#2 3 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I woke up yesterday morning and my right eyelid didn’t blink and things tasted funny. This morning o was talking like Sylvester Stallone and my smile was one sided and if I raised my eyebrows I looked like Spock.the wife insisted I go to the Dr. The doc aske what the problem was and I t raise my eyebrow and smiled and she laughed and said “ you have Bells Palsy”. Soooo I get to drool on myself for a couple of weeks till it goes away.

One of my son's friends had it pop up suddenly at 25. It took a few months, but he is back to normal, like it never happened.

#3 3 years ago

I had it about 10 years ago. Really sucked! My Dr said you need to treat it with steroids within the first few days or so or it might not completely go away. You might want to double check on that for yourself. Maybe get a second opinion? Unless any Pinside physicians can weigh in?
    In any case, after a week of steroids, it pretty much went away. Looked for all the world like I had a stroke. It was a very unhappy time in my life! I can appreciate the difficulties stroke victims have much more after that experience!

#4 3 years ago

The doc gave me steroids. I went to a new lady doc who I have never been to before. I intend to be sick a lot from now on. She made sure it wasn’t a stroke by making me do different exercises for about 20 minutes. I told her I wasn’t doing MRIs or any of that stuff. If I was going to have a stroke just tell my wife I said pull the plug.

#5 3 years ago

Sounds like you're good to go!

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

The doc gave me steroids. I went to a new lady doc who I have never been to before. I intend to be sick a lot from now on. She made sure it wasn’t a stroke by making me do different exercises for about 20 minutes. I told her I wasn’t doing MRIs or any of that stuff. If I was going to have a stroke just tell my wife I said pull the plug.

She did a good job. Hopefully did the usual
    checking of the heart, blood flow to carotid arteries etc.

Imagine it was unnerving, but as long as you are having no other symptoms, many recover fine with PT.

#7 3 years ago

Not to be a downer, but a really good friend of mine from college got it 4 years ago and it never went away. I would for sure get second opinions and make sure you do everything possible early on to help it go away.

#8 3 years ago

Many times its the result of a nova cane shot at the Dentist.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Really, I never heard of that. The first thing she asked me was if I had ever had shingles. I told her I had them 15 years ago that I was the youngest person the Dr I went to had ever seen with shingles. She said that was it. She gave me a anti viral along with the steroids.

Woddy76. I’m sorry about your friend. I hope it doesn’t affect him too much. I could live with mine if I have to. It sucks but there are worse things.

#10 3 years ago

I got it back in the 90s. Scared the shit out of me the night I noticed I couldn’t move the left side of my face. Got to doc the next day waiting to hear the worse. Doctor diagnosed me with the “truckers disease”. First thought was dr.dude wtfare you talking about. He asked if I did anything out of the ordinary in the past few weeks. Told him I was riding roller coasters all last week..... and that’s all he needed to know. Remember him telling me the palsy can come on when the nerve endings in your skin gets over exposed to wind. Hence the trucker disease. They would get it a lot from driving windows down with the wind hitting there face. Strange Dr. visit but he was right. Went away on its own. Funny part was trying to explain what was wrong to my buddies... I sounded nuts and almost kinda agreed with them. No one heard of Bell’s palsy at the time...

Same week I got it Kramer got it on that weeks new Seinfeld episode ....I couldn’t have picked a better time to have “the cool new palsy” that Kramer got : )

#11 3 years ago

Surprised I found the end of the episode clip. Couldn’t find where he tells Jerry and the gang what he has

#12 3 years ago

I had it about 12 yrs ago! When I went to the doctor he said there's nothing he could do and just hope it goes away. It was the worst (eye wouldn't shut had to tape it with patch) and lasted a few months, was on my left side. I still have a side effect from it to this day where my left eye tears so people think i'm crying.

Good luck, hope it goes away.

#13 3 years ago

My buddy has had it for ten months now, caused by undiagnosed Lyme disease. His eye and lower jaw are still screwed up, can't eat right or drink well from a glass. His taste returned, but still has bad tinnitus, and "voice to text" doesn't bode well for him. It's no joke for sure.

#14 3 years ago

https://www.trucknews.com/features/understanding-bell-s-palsy/

zr11990
    please don’t take that clip in bad taste. That’s not my intent at all. Just googled this link and seems like that doctor did know what he was talking about. I’m sure u will be fine. Mine went away in a few weeks with no medication. Sure yours will too. Good luck.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rezdog:

https://www.trucknews.com/features/understanding-bell-s-palsy/
    zr11990
    please don’t take that clip in bad taste. That’s not my intent at all. Just googled this link and seems like that doctor did know what he was talking about. I’m sure u will be fine. Mine went away in a few weeks with no medication. Sure yours will too. Good luck.

Not offended at all. I thought it was funny as hell. I do have a huge sense of humor which often gets me in trouble because others get bent. I have been doing a bad Rocky routine all day, even to the doc. I have to laugh because God knows I would laugh at someone else.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Really, I never heard of that. The first thing she asked me was if I had ever had shingles. I told her I had them 15 years ago that I was the youngest person the Dr I went to had ever seen with shingles. She said that was it. She gave me a anti viral along with the steroids.
    Woddy76. I’m sorry about your friend. I hope it doesn’t affect him too much. I could live with mine if I have to. It sucks but there are worse things.

Shingles, chicken Pox, inflamed nerve endings. Not surprised. I had a boat trailer winch handle unwind quickly and hit me, knocking me to my knees after striking me below the eye. Now one side of my face is much different from the other. I can compensate for photos but sometimes it never goes away.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

My buddy has had it for ten months now, caused by undiagnosed Lyme disease. His eye and lower jaw are still screwed up, can't eat right or drink well from a glass. His taste returned, but still has bad tinnitus, and "voice to text" doesn't bode well for him. It's no joke for sure.

I had a coworker get hit with it about 9 months ago. It was a tick/Lyme disease that caused it as well. The testing often comes back negative for Lyme's because the bacteria in your blood often doesn't show up until later.

#18 3 years ago

My dad had it at the age of 36 (he was a truck driver). He recovered somewhat, but he always looked different when observed in the mirror and photos. It didn’t really bother him. Oh yeah, he also had shingles.

#19 3 years ago

It's also a somewhat common side effect to Lyme disease, so be aware of that. My wife had Bells in 2017 and was tested and positively identified as having lyme; fine now with antibiotics treated promptly.

#20 3 years ago

Yeah, it should go away with time. Bell's palsy is inflammation of the 7th cranial nerve or facial nerve that controls the muscles of the face. Mostly it is thought to be caused by a viral infection that causes the nerve to be inflamed but sometimes we don't know why it happens.

Bottom line is it will go away in the vast majority of cases but sometimes can take a while.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I had it when I first got diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. I hope you have a MRI planned. As there is something going on in your brain.

I don't want to alarm you, but it's not normal. As it could be many other worse things.
    And better safe than sorry.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Funny you should mention that. Mine started the same night (or the next day I can't remember) after I was at my dentist for a root canal. My Dentist played dumb when I called him, but my regular Dr said it can be caused by dental work, stress, or many other things, but that the earlier it is treated, the better the chances for it completely going away.

#23 3 years ago

A good friend called me years ago on a Saturday morning claiming half of his face was still "asleep". I figured he might have had a stroke of some kind. He wasn't really concerned too much about it. His father is a doctor and we found out it was Bells Palsy. He eventually was fine. Scary for a little while.

#24 3 years ago

Yea it is starting to be a PITA. my eye waters all the time making my nose run. When I drink I drool on myself and when I eat I cant manipulate the food in my mouth correctly.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Yea it is starting to be a PITA. my eye waters all the time making my nose run. When I drink I drool on myself and when I eat I cant manipulate the food in my mouth correctly.

That's it!!! Totally sucks! Fortunately, you should see some improvement after a few days on the steroids.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

I had it when I first got diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. I hope you have a MRI planned. As there is something going on in your brain.
    I don't want to alarm you, but it's not normal. As it could be many other worse things.
    And better safe than sorry.

An MRI is not needed for a routine case of Bell’s palsy. The issue is with the facial nerve, not the brain.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from PantherCityPins:

The issue is with the facial nerve, not the brain

Well you forget who you are talking about

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from sbmania:

That's it!!! Totally sucks! Fortunately, you should see some improvement after a few days on the steroids.

Well, there is one good thing. I can raise one eyebrow like Spock and I couldn't do that before.

#29 3 years ago

Bell’s palsy is a diagnosis of exclusion. Other etiologies if a seventh cranial nerve palsy should be ruled out first.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Well, there is one good thing. I can raise one eyebrow like Spock and I couldn't do that before.

2B3006C1-7460-453B-A6E8-32FB91C1FAAC (resized).jpeg2B3006C1-7460-453B-A6E8-32FB91C1FAAC (resized).jpeg
    #31 3 years ago

Got it about 17 years ago. I had a very hard time sleeping, due to steroids, and eye wouldn't close. Had to put vasoline on my eye at night. Lasted a couple weeks. My daughters thought it was very funny, my smiles, talking and everything was out of wack. you'll be better soon.

#32 3 years ago

My wife got it when she got Lyme disease

#33 3 years ago

Ok, so has anyone who has had this find it really hard to eat? I’m finding it very difficult. Maybe my fat ass will lose some weight.

#34 3 years ago

Yeah! It was so hard to eat and drink, I lost some weight. The worst part was the ppl around me thought it was funny watching me trying to eat n drink! I relate it to trying to throw a ball while your arm is asleep, not a good result. Unless someone gets this they have no fn clue. Hope you have a speedy recovery w/ no side-effects.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Ok, so has anyone who has had this find it really hard to eat? I’m finding it very difficult. Maybe my fat ass will lose some weight.

See there is an upside to everything. Just keep smiling inside and you will be fine.

#36 3 years ago

Yup. Had it many years ago due to Lyme disease. Doctor prescribed a steroid for it, and it took quite some time to overcome. To this day, I feel like it's maybe just 95% normal.
    I've heard of people getting it from anything from driving with the window open, to chewing ice cubes.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-ever-have-bells-palsy- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.