(Topic ID: 41611)

Anyone ever go a little bit overboard with this hobby?warning,long rant.

By starbase

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 63 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by sturner
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 11 years ago

Its very easy to go crazy buying games or other pinball stuff

I wanted to sell my jd for a congo but after I missed all the semi local sales I was still ok with selling dredd and putting a little cash back into my pocket. But then a few days later I decide to buy my first nib! I made the case that well its only a few thousand more at this point and I haven't bought a game in 6 months.

Oh how the addicts mind works

#52 11 years ago

Thanks for that disclosure! I started in Dec 2011 and I am at five pinball machines. All of which are early solid state pinballs that weren't being played and needed to be overhauled. The pattern pretty much played out the same exact way my classic car hobby went. I'm in love with anything unique that needs to be saved from neglect. I have run out of room in my converted garage. I have ran up my credit card a little, even after selling off music equipment and parts of my 20 year old model collection. At this point, I'm am just basking in the awesomeness of owning clean and playable classic machines. Family and friends who play them seem to really have a good time. And I do have to watch my ranting with co-workers, friends, and wife. But my 8 year old son has recently been offering to wax playfields and help with new part change outs. And he tends to rant to his friends. I'm still looking almost everyday for the next machine, that I can't buy at this time. So I'll have to miss a few chances at Xenon or some other great machine. But after a great year I am feeling very satisfied with my choices. Black Knight taunts me!

#53 11 years ago

I bought my first 3 pins 4 years ago. Met BR , and many other pinside members, now it's grown to 38. every one is fun, my children and grand children all enjoy my hobby! That s what it's all about.

#54 11 years ago
    Quoted from Ninefingers:

Pinside is your support group, addicts helping addicts. Now, if you told anyone OUTSIDE of this hobby how much you spend on pinball they would look at you like a three-headed alien and lock you up.

How is Pinside a support group for pin addicts?

I mean, yeah, if you equate alcoholics being a support group for other alcoholics by helping them find alcohol for a good price...or even selling it to them, then I can see your point.

#55 11 years ago
    Quoted from awarner:

Hmmm - I've been collecting since 1997 and have 21 pins and 15 vids... No I don't have an addiction. Actually, I'm going to slowly reduce a bit. No stupid abrupt changes, just a few each year until I'm down to 5 pins and 4 vids. It's going to be hard to do but I think if I take it slow, I can get through it. Still plan to be active in the community, just with a smaller collection. I think everything but TAF, DW, BC, TSPP, and AFM will eventually go - I really like those games the best.

LOL!! AL What about Varkon??? Are you considering that one a vid?

I have been in this hobby since 2001...and played in arcades before that....So I guess I'll just say been there done that!!

Phoebe

#56 11 years ago

Jeez some of these stories.It is almost like pinballers anonymous.

#57 11 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

I've been there. These days I never disclose what I paid or even worse, what they might be worth.

to anyone outside the hobby, I lowball everything. Life is easier that way.

#58 11 years ago

Funny. I almost started a post like this. Bought first pin in December 2012 for kids Christmas. It was a $700 pin from a local pinsider. He delivered and was talking about how he loved the hobby and spent every evening fooling around with pins. He told me new ones cost close to $5000. I laughed and said I would never pay that. When he left I told my wife how crazy that is. Fast forward 2.5 months and I am eating my words. Spent several times that already and actively looking. None of my friends or family have any idea how much I spend. They would think I was insane. Did salt water reefs, rc cars, on and on. This is only hobby I can get out of and not lose my shirt. Something to be said for that. Now, I'm off to list the dining room table on cl to free up some space. That's what TV trays are for.

#59 11 years ago
    Quoted from fattrain:

HA! If I had a dollar for everytime I said that....
    (Then I'd probably spend those dollars on another pin, lol!)

Hah, beat me to it. I'm still saying it with another two on the way and no where to put the damn things. I love the idea of only 5-6, but when I start to think of the least favorite that would go first, I don't get far at all!

Quoted from pinhacker71:

This is only hobby I can get out of and not lose my shirt. Something to be said for that.

Exactly. Everyone sighs at the money I spend on pinball, but no one balks at the thousands down the toilet every golfer spends yearly. How much are are least year's clubs worth compared to a 20 year old machine again?

#60 11 years ago

Have to admit I'm one of those that have gone overboard. To the point of having
    people put labels on me (hoarder, fanatic, pinhead, etc). Like others here I also
    have other hobbies but collecting and restoring pins has been the most enjoyable.
    If I was able to buy a 10,000 sq foot house, I'd fill it up. Well, maybe not with
    the prices these days, but I'd sure try.

Frankly, I don't feel like I need to justify my hobbies to anyone. They are indeed
    a drug of sorts but thats not necessarily a bad thing.
    Steve

#61 11 years ago
    Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

LOL!! AL What about Varkon??? Are you considering that one a vid?
    I have been in this hobby since 2001...and played in arcades before that....So I guess I'll just say been there done that!!
    Phoebe

It could be had for the right crazy money; not in a hurry to sell it. Lots of friends like it as well.

#62 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinhacker71:

Funny. I almost started a post like this. Bought first pin in December 2012 for kids Christmas. It was a $700 pin from a local pinsider. He delivered and was talking about how he loved the hobby and spent every evening fooling around with pins. He told me new ones cost close to $5000. I laughed and said I would never pay that. When he left I told my wife how crazy that is. Fast forward 2.5 months and I am eating my words.

Sounds familiar. My first pin was a $500 F-14 Tomcat, my second pin was a NIB LOTR!

#63 11 years ago

I have a tendency to get too into hobbies. But I think as long as it's using disposable income and not having a negative impact on family, friends, and work, it's OK.

My other rule is that if I've stored something for over a year with no immediate plans of using it, I should get rid of it. Hobbies are meant to be enjoyed and if something is tucked away in a closet or a storage unit, it's no longer part of my hobby, it's just hoarding.

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-ever-go-a-little-bit-overboard-with-this-hobby/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.