(Topic ID: 41611)

Anyone ever go a little bit overboard with this hobby?warning,long rant.

By starbase

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 63 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by sturner
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

Well here I am about 4-5 months into this hobby after realizing "hey I can own a pinball machine now". Slippery slope really it is, I know I am not alone in this. You have heard the tales too, you been warned son/mam. What did Granpa Pinside tells you "you can't buy just one you will see" is so true. I thought I was stronger than this and was always proud of my will power. But after getting one in the door it was like I found my new drug of choice and my only cure is more pinball.

So I did not follow the above and I thought I can stop buying at anytime, just one more and I will be content. So you build a room to hold your hobby under the ruse of a little nostalgia a arcade game here and a pool table there, oh and a row of pins against that one wall should have no problem fitting what I have in my living room and have room to spare! Oh but wait what is this I see if I don't put the MAME cabinet or my 720 in the "pin room" I can fit MORE PINS!!!!! Than you start staring at your other hobbies your surfboards and mtn bikes begin to annoy you the mere thought of that pool table brings chills down your spine. Sort of like a disease you start turning into a pinball zombie, you play pinball, dream about pinball and most talk to anyone that will listen about the idea that "they can have a pinball machine too", you start speaking pinball gospel constantly. So much so your family members begins to worry and ask you to please refrain from so much pinball talk.

Eventually the inevitable happens you end up forgoing things like dining room tables and end up with pinball machines eventually invading the space you said was not for them but yet they are there and more are coming. Than you realize wake the f up you bought to much and went a bit crazy and now it's time to curve your habit a bit and as my mom once said "get a grip on reality".

Well the above is a bit sarcastic and a little in jest it is a bit true but truly where I sit right now, I over did it. As much as I love this hobby there are only so many machines one can own at one time. So yeah regardless of my absolute love of pinball you be careful if your just starting out in this hobby, things can sort of domino fast. Would I prefer to have that new car I was planning on buying for cash and instead shot my load on a pinball collection,HELL NO! I have a blast playing almost daily, playing most of my collection but i bore fast and some games are not being played enough to warrant the space, and having machines dominating my house is a no no in my book. Games that I don't seem to just want to master will go. Playing pinball I hope will always be a part of my life and since I got the first one home has exceeded all other hobbies including video games by far.

Only thing positive I can say is no I did not sell the Pool Table. Did not turn my home gym/office into more pins or ever contemplate bringing one upstairs into my bedroom.

If I could give a few tips for new people to the hobby I would start with be more selective than me. Do not think just because you love a theme/art package or the playfield looks cool that you will love the game. You liking theme has zilch to do with gameplay when the ball is in play, so I know its hard to play every game before you buy but it's truly the only way to go on a older title. I got lucky with WH20 I love it, family loves it and I never played it before hand, true luck here. X-Men which I took a bath on was a game I was positive I would love. Love the comics, movies basically my favorite comic book by far nothing was close. I played it less than 50 times in three months and no code was saving the fact that I hated the game, the shots for me just felt odd and nothing clicked, was hard for to me admit that no code would change the fact that game annoyed me. You take this risk on any NIB purchase or a game you have not played, I know the worth thing is you have to sell but not always easy. Taking a loss to move this game was one of my better moves.

My last tip on buying and you will learn this the hard way. This will also sort of defeat the last paragraph but it is that important. Act quicker than Speedy Gonzalez on a pinball deal you want. It does not matter pinside, craigslist or ebay or your dad's friend people will always be there with cash and a truck without asking for discounts if a pin is a good deal. If it's a good deal to you and it's public you can bet your ass someone is jumping all over it while you are thinking about it and scratching your nads. I lost a few deals because I was slow and learned the hard way and than later I acted super duper fast and ended up with my holy grail "Tron LE" a game I never thought would be at home.

So in short, don't over do it, not wise or necessary a few machines is better than ton. Sorry to anyone with 10+ machines do not mean to offend but unless you don't work or grow a few extra heads and limbs I am not sure how you do it but I envy you all the same. Anyways enough rambling going to go play some Tron and LOTR and I hope this helps someone out there who is falling down this rabbit hole. Feel lucky to have taken this ride of course and learned a few more life lessons along the way.

p.s. Pinside is by far the best community I have ever been a part of and a few people on here told me to slow down a long time ago. I needed to learn my lessons in my own way but it still was cool of people even selling me games to say you are overdoing it son.

#2 11 years ago

only on Sundays.

#4 11 years ago

I know of someone going overboard on a post...

#5 11 years ago

Wish you would have started with this.

#6 11 years ago

Never buy a home without a basement.

#7 11 years ago

Anyone ever go a little bit overboard with this hobby?

i think most people here are a little crazy
    thank goodness we love our pinball machines
    that they are in our houses means we are not wandering the streets, causing mayhem, and getting carried away by the men in white coats

#8 11 years ago

One for every year in this hobby, that sounds sane to me, by the time I'm 40 I should be up to 8 games... I got a jump start ,,,but I should have a man cave by then...

#9 11 years ago

I just reread that wall of text and my conclusion on my own handy work. Don't make long ranty posts when you cant sleep on Ambien, bad things man. But I am leaving it anyways. Oh and you cannot thumbs down your own post, weird.

#10 11 years ago

They are only games made out of a bunch of wood, plastic, and metal...don't forget that..and you will be ok...I love pinball, but don't let it consume my life or ruin my marriage, or take over my entire house

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from oropuro:

One for every year in this hobby, that sounds sane to me, by the time I'm 40 I should be up to 8 games...

Yes, it's wise to use some kind of self-restriction when entering a new hobby.

I can perfectly understand the worries in the OP. Starbase has a really impressive collection after just a few months in the hobby. Well, most of us know the urge to buy "just one more" because "it's a bargain" and "there's still space in the dog kennel".

I set myself some simple rules to achieve at least a bit of self-control: Every pinball is seen as a kind of investment (No, I'm not starting another price thread. ). Playing in an arcade would cost money, so playing at home kind of saves money. Spending a lot of money on a pin is only reasonable when I get something back for the purchasing price.
    So I ascertained a "virtual price" per game - Dr. Who cost me 640,- €; assumed 50 ct per game --> after 1280 games I got my return on investment. After a new game has earned it's keep that way, I may start looking for another game.

So just 50 games on that X-Men? That game is still in the red for a while... play it!

#12 11 years ago

Ha, I've done that with about every other hobby before. It seems I would gain interest in a new hobby and lose the old, then sell off everything in the previous hobby to feed my gluttony in the new obsession. My previous hobby was reef aquariums, there's a community like pinball folks for that too...eating/breathing/sleeping everything saltwater aquariums. I joined a club with the other dysfunctional obsessive OCD reefers and my wife referred to it as "that geek club". Don't think for a minute that collecting pinball machines is the only sprawling hobby you might want to put a cap on, because I had multiple rooms for fish aquarium equipment with pipes running through the walls to connect the elaborate systems. It was insane - the amount of supplies and equipment and needing that one extra piece, expensive live rock by the pound, buckets of specially formulated salt, chemicals, instruments and beyond.

Every hobby can be this complex and obsessive. I have a friend that collects classic cars. He has extra garage space, had to build special warehouse. Think how many pins fit in a cars footprint. A coworker has a hanger for a plane he has been building for 35 years. Back a long time ago I was into painting. It starts with an easel, a canvas, and brushes and then spirals out from there with hundreds of paints, mediums, and other supplies. All hobbies can spread this way like a disease. Don't be too worried, there is a community of others with the same problems and a board of experts to help you - and they're right here on Pinside.

#13 11 years ago

I've went off the deep end in this hobby in a bad way for sure. I'm feeling I need to reel it in a bit.

I picking up another pin in a couple of weeks. Once I do, I'm going to give it a rest and just play for a while.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from starbase:

I just reread that wall of text and my conclusion on my own handy work. Don't make long ranty posts when you cant sleep on Ambien, bad things man. But I am leaving it anyways. Oh and you cannot thumbs down your own post, weird.

I have had a similar problem taking Ambien but you did much better with your post than a few of mine. Ambien is odd to me its worse than beer or a pain pill it seems to make some of crazy, it should be the new zombie drug. I had to stop taking it ,as I would sleep to 11am. I have enjoyed our talks here, glad you got the Whitewater not because I said it was good but it fun t omany players. We all like different stuff. Even more happier you got the TF:LE topper. I miss the look of my TF:combo already. Its so hard to own them all! It was much easier when any of us could go to town and play the pins on location to see if we liked them. I hate we have to order sight unseen for fear of losing out in quest to own one of the 500 or 550 limited editions.

#15 11 years ago

I too got bit by the pin bug. I have two friends that also got bit this month and are turning into pinheads. I also took a bath on my X-men but it is still my favorite and when code comes out it will crush a lot of pins-IMO. I did do very well on my other pins. My problem is I want too many pins. I am realizing that the 20 machines on my wishlist are unrealistic. I could probably afford and obtain but where would I put them all? My wife will not go for pins in the dining room-I dont know why? I am finding that I need to limit my collection between 10-12 Pins. They are my babies-the thought of selling or trading makes me cringe. Plus- I dont want machines collecting dust. My Wh20 is my baby and I will probably never sell but sometimes it gets neglected-especially when new pin shows up. I am learning that I have to reel it in. I have a tron on order but after that I only have a few left. I am thinking I need to go big for my last couple in my collection. I am thinking Twilight Zone and Medieval Madness to round out my collection. This is what I say now-follow up with me in couple months-after I have taken over dining room(;

#16 11 years ago

This thread deserves a grumpy cat meme

#17 11 years ago

all you sallies need to buck up. Pinball is awesome and there is always room for more!

Stop being such wimps

#18 11 years ago

Oh, and the right amount is 1 per month until your space is filled. Then figure out where to find more space.

#19 11 years ago

I don't think there's anything wrong with the OPs original post. I commend him for sharing his experience...one he's not entirely comfortable with. I never went overboard with machines, but I've slowly added up to the 5 I have now and I don't think I'm any happier than when I had my SM next to my LOTR in the basement with Future Spa in the home office. Adding two games seemed like a great idea, but now 2 or 3 go unplayed for long stretches and sometimes I wonder if Im being over indulgent. And still, I want to play them all someday...but the idea of cutting some loose to buy more is difficult. That seems to be the story of the hobby.

I def got a little OCD at times...with all the scanning of CL and Mr. pinball, the constant reading of Pinside and RGP, plus the incessant chatter about be machines which drove my wife batty. I was no doubt projecting some when one of my early Pinside posts was regarding "OCD" in the hobby and "hoarding". I got ripped a new one for those posts, being as they were a bit righteous, but I still think there's something to it. I congratulate anyone who can master their impulses. Especially in this hobby. We've got the bug. And it's most definitely real.

#20 11 years ago

I think you would feel a lot better with only one pin in your house. I am more than willing to accept those pins from you, over than amount. Remember, I am a doctor.

#21 11 years ago

In spite of the rambling sometimes insane tone, I can relate.

In July 2012, I owned 0 pinball machines.

I have wanted to own one since I was 7 years old. (I am now 46). I have always told myself "Someday soon - but for now I will wait." Last July, I found myself on Amazon dot com ordering one of the "Pinball Compendium" books and it hit me.... "I am tired of buying books ABOUT Pinball - it is TIME to actually OWN some pinball."

No more "Wait, maybe someday..." - at that rate what am I going to do - wait until I am 60? LOL

And that is how it began.

As my story began.... I owned 0 pins in July 2012. Pinball # 6 will arrive this weekend.

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

all you sallies need to buck up. Pinball is awesome and there is always room for more!
    Stop being such wimps

Yup.....if you want it and have the money.....what's holding you back!

#23 11 years ago

I am/was near the point of seeking professional help for the amount of time i waste on this hobby. I am doing markedly better since making a commitment to curb my time spent on the hobby.

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from PennSkier:

As my story began.... I owned 0 pins in July 2012. Pinball # 6 will arrive this weekend.

Look out, sir, you're on my path. First pin June 2011. Now selling my 9th game, and bringing in #12 into the rotation....only have space for 4, limits the insanity, but I'm glad my wife is "kinda-sorta" okay with it. She has proposed putting one in the bedroom before, but thankfully we shuffled some stuff around to avoid that. There's already an extremely annoying pachinko machine in there anyways.

#25 11 years ago

Hmmm - I've been collecting since 1997 and have 21 pins and 15 vids... No I don't have an addiction. Actually, I'm going to slowly reduce a bit. No stupid abrupt changes, just a few each year until I'm down to 5 pins and 4 vids. It's going to be hard to do but I think if I take it slow, I can get through it. Still plan to be active in the community, just with a smaller collection. I think everything but TAF, DW, BC, TSPP, and AFM will eventually go - I really like those games the best.

#26 11 years ago

Look at it this way. Your pinball hobby keeps you out of the bars and off the streets. That is what I tell my wife.

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

I am/was near the point of seeking professional help for the amount of time i waste on this hobby. I am doing markedly better since making a commitment to curb my time spent on the hobby.

How is that working out for you-is it possible not to hunt all day on CL, Mr. Pinball and Pinside?
    Tell me your secret

#28 11 years ago

Says the tattered old veteran of 5 months.

#29 11 years ago

This is the ONLY hobby I've ever had where I barely thought twice about spending money . . . especially on parts!

If one of my pins stops functioning correctly because it needs a new part, I don't care what it costs, I'll go for it!!! But, when my car needs a $25.00 oil change, I keep putting that off!

#30 11 years ago

I admit I got caught up in "The Hunt" more than playing and I went thru MANY MANY games in just over 2 years. Look at my collection history. No kidding. I recently sold off and paid some bills off. Right now I have Zero games in my house but I did settle on keeping WOZ, ACDC and I picked up a Congo. I am content and have zero bills again. I just need to stay away from Mods..

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from doughslingers:

I have had a similar problem taking Ambien but you did much better with your post than a few of mine. Ambien is odd to me its worse than beer or a pain pill it seems to make some of crazy, it should be the new zombie drug.

I too had to stop taking Ambien; I kept waking up slumped over my pins with my junk stuck in the coin return.

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I too had to stop taking Ambien; I kept waking up slumped over my pins with my junk stuck in the coin return.

I always assumed that was peoples gum

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from maddog14:

Look at it this way. Your pinball hobby keeps you out of the bars and off the streets. That is what I tell my wife.

Yea that one works every time i get a new pin

#34 11 years ago

Top 10 rationalizations for a large pin collection:

1. It keeps me at home
    2. Look, this pin actually gained value!
    3. It's something to build new friendships around
    4. It's kinetic artwork
    5. It's cheaper than seeing a shrink
    6. It's cheaper than a sports car
    7. I'm growing as a person (repair, restoration)
    8. It'll keep our kid at home when he's a teenager (ha!)
    9. I'm curating a museum; this is Important work
    10. I'm planning to start an arcade when I quit the rat race

Those are just the first 10; I'm sure I could come up with 10 more.

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

4. It's kinetic artwork

This is my favorite thing about the hobby.

Quoted from swampfire:

6. It's cheaper than a sports car

It definitely is, but I still want that "63" split window Corvette. I will own one eventually, but not at the expense of my pins.

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

"63" split window

Ooof, that's a tough find. One of the best looking cars ever. I wonder how many people actually hacked out that split?

#37 11 years ago

Pinside is your support group, addicts helping addicts. Now, if you told anyone OUTSIDE of this hobby how much you spend on pinball they would look at you like a three-headed alien and lock you up.

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from Ninefingers:

Pinside is your support group, addicts helping addicts. Now, if you told anyone OUTSIDE of this hobby how much you spend on pinball they would look at you like a three-headed alien and lock you up.

I've been there. These days I never disclose what I paid or even worse, what they might be worth.

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

I've been there. These days I never disclose what I paid or even worse, what they might be worth.

Same.

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

I picking up another pin in a couple of weeks. Once I do, I'm going to give it a rest and just play for a while.

HA! If I had a dollar for everytime I said that....
    (Then I'd probably spend those dollars on another pin, lol!)

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from Ninefingers:

Pinside is your support group, addicts helping addicts

This is about as comforting as driving a beer truck to an AA meeting.

#42 11 years ago

While the post might be long winded, I totally understand. I could spend eight hours convincing myself I don't need another, but if I think for ten seconds that it might be a good idea, it's over.

#43 11 years ago

It can be intense for sure. Luckily I'm in a spot now where I'm pretty much out of room and not really interested in buying anything. I've had those night were I'm going to look at a game the next day and can't sleep. Totally weird.

#44 11 years ago

With my current layout (and current wife) I only have room for one more.

Of course if we got rid of that pool table that rarely gets played I could at least double that number!

Then if the big screen TV left I could probably fit another 6-8!

#45 11 years ago

how many more could you fit if the wife left...

sorry, but you gave a lob of a softball pitch on that one.

#46 11 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

how many more could you fit if the wife left...
    sorry, but you gave a lob of a softball pitch on that one.

LOL.....well I'm still never going to stuff the main floor or upstairs with pins, but I would probably fill the basement perimeter with them. Which would be 20+ easy.

#47 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pintucky:

This is the ONLY hobby I've ever had where I barely thought twice about spending money . . . especially on parts!
    If one of my pins stops functioning correctly because it needs a new part, I don't care what it costs, I'll go for it!!! But, when my car needs a $25.00 oil change, I keep putting that off!

Amen. The heat in my car has been on the fritz all winter...reluctant to fix it as it will prolly cost a couple hundred bucks. meanwhile, I've easily spent $1,000 bucks on pinball related stuff....not including an actual machine!

#48 11 years ago

The available space is full, so I have to get rid of one pin to add another, which I have already done twice. I am running out of pins I'd want to let go, so it is now less likely that I'll add others, certainly not at the rate I did earlier. I imagine this situation is quite common.

I did make one big purchase recently because of this hobby: a new car. I couldn't bear to haul another pin in a trailer, watching it bounce around behind me on rough roads, so I traded in my 2001 Camry for a 2013 Ford Escape, in which a pin fits perfectly. The Camry was getting on, but I could have kept it for a couple more years. The things we do for pinball...

#49 11 years ago

Yup, I'd be surprised if that Escape is running and in one piece in 2025! That Camry might still be going though!

#50 11 years ago

If I can get ten years out of it, it will be worth it. I am 6'6", so it is hard to find a vehicle in which both I and a pinball machine both fit. The Escape has a surprising amount of legroom, and the center console doesn't have sculpted edges that irritate my right leg, which is not the case with most of its competitors (e.g., the RAV 4).

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-ever-go-a-little-bit-overboard-with-this-hobby/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.