(Topic ID: 11712)

Anyone ever cut a pinball in half?

By the_pin_family

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

_009worffacepalm.gif
    laser.jpg
    DSC00308.JPG

#1 12 years ago

I'm putting together some stuff for the gameroom walls and I'd like to cut one in half and/or drill a hole in one. Ideally I'd like to thread the hole also. This is a harder task than I thought and I didn't think for a seccond it would be easy. Nothing I've tried puts a scratch in it( jigsaw,hacksaw,sawzall,drill bits). I haven't tried a grinding wheel yet, I need to pick one up. If you have any ideas or tricks on how to mount one or cut/drill one please let me know.

#2 12 years ago

Use a hammer, and pound it into the wall, problem solved. Glad I could help, no thanks needed.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Try a carbide tipped drill bit, or maybe a diamond tipped dremmel might make a hole.

#3 12 years ago

Those balls are hardened steel so I think you will need a diamond tip bit and even then I think it will be very difficult due to the rounded surface.

#4 12 years ago

Why not just go to a craft store like Michaels and pick up some half rounds (plastic pieces)?? They will look authentic.

#5 12 years ago

you could torch it, but there wouldn't be much left lol. and keepin it in a vice would be challenging to keep a good cut.

#6 12 years ago

Did you try biting into it? That's always worked for me..

#7 12 years ago

I took two 6in pieces of 2x4 and carved a semicircle into each to clamp the pinball into. Put into the vise it holds well. It allows me to work with it without the blade or bit slipping off. First I clamped it into the vice leaving 1/8 in between the 2x4's so my blade would fit. Didn't work. Then I clamped it completely so the 2x4's were touching and drilled a 3/8 hole so I could try to start drilling with a smaller bit. Didn't work. I called a machine shop to see if they would cut it in half. I figured $20 or so. Same price as clays priceless knowledge(sorry couldnt resist). The machine shop said.......$90 an hour should take 1.5-2 hours!!!!!!!$135-$180 my A$$. Guess I'm going with the craft store idea. I really, really don't want to though.

#8 12 years ago

Would one of the captive balls with a threaded shaft work for what you're doing?

#9 12 years ago

I thought you meant the whole game! Whew, that's a relief. We need more pins not less.

There was an episode of some psuedo-educational reality show on TLC or one of those channels where they literal sawed a pinball in half width-wise. I think it might be called "How It Works" and I thought how stupid that is, just lift up the playfield. All you'll discover doing that how many layers are in the plywood of the playfield, and then all you need to do is look at the edge. Really made me mad.

Not at all for gratuitous violence against pinballs, or anyone else for that matter.

#10 12 years ago

I am sorry but when I saw the thread title I instantly thought the poster meant cutting the entire pinball game in half. I am glad he means just the ball lol.

#11 12 years ago

Die grinder blade. took about 6 min nice and slow so it won't discolor on the edge.

Jim

DSC00308.JPGDSC00308.JPG

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from MrWizzo:

I thought you meant the whole game! Whew, that's a relief. We need more pins not less.

I thought the same thing. Why cut them in half when you can throw them off a roof?

#13 12 years ago

Maybe the key to this plan is a giant "laser"

laser.jpglaser.jpg

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from MrWizzo:

I thought you meant the whole game! Whew, that's a relief.

+1

It wasn't until I got to the 2nd or 3rd post before I figured it out. I kept remembering a post from someone who DID have a pinball MACHINE that was cut in half to get it upstairs. Yikes!!

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from the_pin_family:

I called a machine shop to see if they would cut it in half. I figured $20 or so. Same price as clays priceless knowledge(sorry couldnt resist).

Ha... No Doubt

#16 12 years ago
    Quoted from HitLines:

I thought the same thing. Why cut them in half when you can throw them off a roof?
    » YouTube video

Why did you have to bring that back up...

#18 12 years ago

OMG - that's just wrong....

#19 12 years ago

After a couple switch adjustments, you could sell it on Ebay.

Then that is at least the second one destroyed on one of these shows. the one I was referring to cut across the width of the playfield. Heck of a chainsaw, though.

Another hate crime against pinballs. Where is the public outcry?

#20 12 years ago

That's a horror story Winball

#22 12 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

From my web site under Pinball Voyeur.

Absolutely terrifying.

#23 12 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

Would one of the captive balls with a threaded shaft work for what you're doing?

That's a good idea, just buy some newton balls and sink them into the wall.

#24 12 years ago

»Winball_Pizard YouTube video

_009worffacepalm.gif_009worffacepalm.gif

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-ever-cut-a-pinball-in-half and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.