(Topic ID: 7376)

Anyone ever buy from M&P Amusements?

By jk2171

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

frontbig.jpg
    P1010001.JPG
    DSC00029.JPG
    DSC00002.JPG
    DSC00013.JPG
    There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 12 years ago

I did a search on RGP, and got some good, and some not so good reviews on M&P Amusements out of York, PA. The not so good were from a few years back, so wondering if anyone has had any recent dealings with them. Any feedback/advice would be appreciated.

#2 12 years ago

I inquired about a pin a few months ago from them. I think the conacts name was gene. He was able to drop the price on the pin about 200... But I still didn't buy. Seems fairly rebuttable.

#3 12 years ago

Massive headache from hell... Fully restored in my case equaled wiped once with novus where they could, flat out didn't do or replace what they promised and I made clear of prior to buying, had to hound and hound and in the end, athough after months of complaining, emailing, and legal threats, I almost got what I was supposed to...

#4 12 years ago

Local to me. They have a lot, but their prices are not the best. They will deal a little.

#5 12 years ago

Atomic: When did you purchase? I see you're up in ontario.. a few months ago I was inquiring about a delivery to the western ny area and they had a delivery scheduled for that area (yours). Just wondering if it was you..

#6 12 years ago

No, year and a half or so. I've heard most amusement companies provide the same state of machines though. You are more of less buying a machine that needs as much work as the average joe's.

#7 12 years ago

Thanks for the feedback thus far guys. Atomic...that seems to be the standard way they operate. Being in Chicago, I'd be buying sight unseen, and that scares the hell out of me hearing a ton of these stories.

#8 12 years ago

I'd rather wait for a good CL posting. Much cheaper and it's kinda funny.. llike the thrill of the chase.

#9 12 years ago

I agree, BB. But damn, sometimes I can't wait that long! lol

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

Massive headache from hell... Fully restored in my case equaled wiped once with novus where they could, flat out didn't do or replace what they promised and I made clear of prior to buying, had to hound and hound and in the end, athough after months of complaining, emailing, and legal threats, I almost got what I was supposed to...

I had a similar experience with them. They claimed warranties, shopped out machines, etc. I received basically 2 routed machines in average condition that needed a shop job and some areas fixed since the games were not fully working. It was early on when I started in the hobby. I would seriously consider buying from someone else if you can. If you are local to them, it might be a better situation. The sad thing for them is if they had done the right thing in the first place I would have bought several more from them. Now I just buy machines either within driving distance or New in Box.

#11 12 years ago

Let's keep this in mind. If you want a game, and sometimes that means spending more to get it now, these places *can* be handy, however buy based on condition, and realise that you will likely have to do work and spend money.

These places stock machines, so if you don't want to wait for some to come up and possibly fight for it, they can be a help.

#12 12 years ago

I have bought machines from them twice. Once about 10 years ago, a TZ for and a shadow ( which I still have) . Pretty good condition machines with only the usual problems.

About 6 months ago I picked up a MSF and a BSD. Since I bought 2, I felt that I had gotten pretty good prices. Regarding this most recent purchase, I would offer the following:

The good: The MSF was in excellent condition ( I would easily rate an over all 9). I have had no problems at all with the MSF. The BSD had a very nice play field ( a 9) and and the cabinet was in good condition. The red lettering on the cabinet and some of the black had been touched up in an average fashion ( Overall I would rate the cabinet a 7.5). They claim a long list of things they refurbish and I have no evidence to prove they did not do every thing they claimed. I had problems with BSD and one of their technicians did help me over the phone trouble shoot the mist multi ball problem listed below.

The Bad: when they say 3 to 5 weeks they mean 6 for delivery. The claim was the refurbish but on MSF not much was needed. Once at my house, BSD did not work properly. Coffin multi ball only put out two balls. Mist multi ball worked when I first got the game but broke the second night. I ended up fixing the problem by rewiring from the head to the play field and all the problems were resolved. ( I wrote posts to Pinside on these issues)

The ugly: When I ordered the pins , I asked how much it would cost to put LED's in the inserts. I was told no extra cost since I was buying two. I asked on three separate occasions, the cost, and was told the price included the insert LED's After waiting 6 weeks,( I admit I started being a nag as they had my money), The night before delivery, I was told I owed extra for an LED package for the entire machines. We settled on that. Lastly, the second time I pulled the BSD glass it shattered into pieces ( another Pinside post). When I bought a new glass at the Allen town show, the guy I bought it from thought that the shattered glass had probably been stressed when cut ( not covered by M and P's warranty).

Both MSF and BSD have been trouble free since, so, overall I am OK with the purchase. Would I buy from them again. Yes, but first, every detail would be in writing. Good Luck, its hard to find perfect machines unless you get them from some one like GAP.

#13 12 years ago

I have talked to Gene many times in the past and I'm dissappointed that they do this. I had planned on buying many machines from him. He told me they have air brush artists on hand to fix cabinets and playfields. They clearcoat all of their machines, 100% working. In fact... he told me if the part can come off the machine - it does and they either replace it with NOS or they rebuild the old. He also told me he does not charge extra for the install of LEDs. He told me that they either get the machine looking fresh off the production line or at least 95% perfect.

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from futurepinhead:

They clearcoat all of their machines,

Quoted from futurepinhead:

he does not charge extra for the install of LEDs.

My machines were not clear coated but to be fair I do not ever remember him saying they would be. Every thing else you stated is the same as I was told. Again, over all I am ok with the machines purchased. If you are new to the Hobby, I would be a little more wary. Get every thing in writing at the time of purchase. especially the LED's. It is getting harder to find Pins in my opinion. I would not rule them out as a supplier.

#15 12 years ago

I have bought two machines from them, the first one was a Funhouse about 2 yrs ago and it has been great so then I bought a Bram Stokers Dracula from them last May. A lot of problems with the BSD unit from the playfield falling into the box on shipping as bolts came loose to missing major pieces on the playfield, burned molex connector in the back box, missing coin mechanism, (which they still have not sent me), missing playfield center, upper plastic under coffin, plastic over ramp at coffin, plastic over launch ramp, missing metal guide under graveyard, ball down and get stuck and not go into drain hole, missing metal behind villiage so it warped in very bad, a couple of bad lane switches, bad install on rubbers at mist left side shorted opto's, bad cord on mist magnet, sling rubbers wrong size, upper lane guides rubbers installed incorrect, missing metal piece left side under playfield, lights at back of playfield never cleaned or replaced, coffin cover warped, damaged side rail. I have many hours getting the machine working properly and Jay at M&P has been very helpful in the process. It took 3 to 4 months to get all the missing pieces/parts from them but still waiting for coin mechanism. Gene did finally send some $$$ for my troubles last month. I think they were busy at the time I ordered my BSD with their new retro machines and were short handed on expericend helpers. As I am on the west coast all my problems have been setteled with e-mail or phone contact. Would I buy again, possible but with a boat load of pictures and would choose to have them (Jay) go through the electronics and leave cabinet and shop job up to me. Both machines I bought from them have been re-imports. I know this is a bit long but as they always say "BUYER BEWARE" Hope this helps with any buy decision. They do not clear coat and the air brush used on my Funhouse was a spray gun.

#16 12 years ago
    Quoted from Out-West:

It took 3 to 4 months to get all the missing pieces/parts from them but still waiting for coin mechanism. Gene did finally send some $$$ for my troubles last month.

You got a lot farther wit them then I did. They offered Tech support and said they wold call me and never did. They never responded to my emails, never returned calls. They certainly answered before they sent out the machines. I finally just gave up in trying to get a hold of them. Their idea of a warranty is laughable since they never responded to my concerns, at least in my case. Replaced a board, ball trough problems, switch & coil problems, dirty playfield, lights left out of the GI, cracked plastics, etc. I would never make the mistake of dealing with M & P again and hopefully no one else will.

#17 12 years ago

I fogot to add they included new PF glass, as they said they would, stamped as tempered, however it was about half the thickness of usualy glass (yes, half as thick). They didn't even argue with that and said they would pay for me to buy a new one. I thought, wow, they are now not BS'ing on their promises, but risking safety of people as well.

Of course, the check from them for payment took many emails, phone calls, and many many months.

#18 12 years ago

Bottom line we must feel lucky as we did not pay as much as they are asking for their current e-bay listing, down from $17,500 Check it out ebay.com link: Big Bang Bar Gold Edition Pinball Machine Just think that amount of $$$$$ and service/quality as posted here.

#19 12 years ago

All of this is of great help, guys. Thanks for sharing your stories, and your opinions.

#20 12 years ago

Let us know your opinions if you buy from them JK.

3 months later
    #21 12 years ago

Has anyone had any recent experiences with this dealer?

#22 12 years ago

I never did follow through on the purchase with these guys, Future. I asked them to put a detailed description of the work to be done on the invoice they sent to me, but they didn't. So I looked elsewhere. Ended up finding an AFM on CL, and was much happier.

#23 12 years ago
    Quoted from jk2171:

I never did follow through on the purchase with these guys, Future. I asked them to put a detailed description of the work to be done on the invoice they sent to me, but they didn't. So I looked elsewhere. Ended up finding an AFM on CL, and was much happier.

Thanks for the input, I'm looking for a higher end TAF in the next few months but I don't want to spend crazy amount of money like TreasureCove quoted me. No crazy mods but I do want the magnet fuses and UncleFester, nice to decent cabinet and a 10/10 playfield that has been clear coated

5 months later
    #24 11 years ago

I would stay away from M&P.

#25 11 years ago

I bought a Rocky and Bullwinkle from a local fellow that purchased it from M&P Amusements last year. It was a reimport from Finland.

I would call it a refurbished machine, not a restored one. Be aware of the difference. They most certainly do NOT clear coat all of their machines (as one of the replies indicated above).

They also cut corners to maximize profit. Although the machine I have is very, very nice. There were a few things that should have been taken care of (properly) for the $3500.00 it cost the guy that I bought it from.

It had a DMD that had the glass drilled to repair lines that were broken/disconnected. The job they did was shoddy, and I had to correct the work. The backglass wasn't a real one. It was a sheet of plexi glass with vinyl printed artwork. These conditions were not disclosed to the customer. I would have been pissed if it was a machine that I bought from them (at the price they charged), and not been told about these issues. They also have no idea how to align flippers on a DE game.

Other than that, the cabinet touch ups were decent. I assume they have a good airbrush artist working there.

IMO, buy from them as a last resort. You'll end up paying way too much, and get a machine that wasn't refurbished to a degree that reflects that high price. DSC00013.JPGDSC00013.JPG DSC00002.JPGDSC00002.JPG DSC00029.JPGDSC00029.JPG

#26 11 years ago

I'm buying a WH20 but picking it up. I'll let you know.

3 weeks later
    #27 11 years ago

I got a Addams Family from them a month ago and could not be happier. The cabinet was mint, and the game plays like it is brand new. The game arrived on time and the family loves it. I will be buying from them again.

#28 11 years ago

They have been around forever. Always have space at the Allentown show. We would buy games from them occasionally, usually unshopped, but we knew that going in. In the past, they had a lot of volume so they were just flipping them. I don't know what they do now. Never had a bad dealing though.

#29 11 years ago

I had a horrible experience with them about 11 years ago. I bought a TZ from them with white face clock. I have to admit it was my first ever pin purchase so I didn't ask enough questions and didn't know what to look for. Also didn't get enough pictures. When I did get it delivered I realized that it was a re import with a very strange coin door on the front. It was over sized so the lower section of the front cabinet was hacked away to allow the door to fit. Plus there was alot more fading on the sides and several excessive wear areas. Non of this was disclosed prior to purchase. I was told that it was an excellent machine with no issues. When they finally agreed to refund me, I shipped the machine back to them and it took a very very long time to get my money back. I had to threaten them with legal action for them to finally pay. Many calls were made and they would never answer. E-mails were sent and they would not respond. I will never ever purchase anything from them again. Very bad to deal with.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

I have a friend that had a similar experience with MP. He seems to go through alot of stock which has to say something?

#31 11 years ago

Good to hear that they have an airbrush artist on hand. I bought a Funhouse from them years ago (more than 10) that was described as being in excellent condition. It arrived with all of the blue on the cabinet brush painted. I mean ALL of the blue. They painted around the graphics so there was an edge you could feel where the paint met the graphics. The color was not a good match and looked terrible. I complained and was told that they "touched up" the cabinet. This was long befor cabinet decals were available. I was told I could return it for a refund if I paid shipping both ways. Ended up selling it locally for a slight loss. I do have to admit that it worked well.

#32 11 years ago

I found a pic of the weird door that was on that POS TZ that M&P sold me. Went back through my notes and remembered I had bought this off of their Ebay store. Wasn't even the same machine they had advertised on Ebay. Like I said I wouldn't even buy a box of bulbs from them.

P1010001.JPGP1010001.JPG

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinballwiz:

I found a pic of the weird door that was on that POS TZ that M&P sold me. Went back through my notes and remembered I had bought this off of their Ebay store. Wasn't even the same machine they had advertised on Ebay. Like I said I wouldn't even buy a box of bulbs from them.

Wow that's a dirty trick, I would buy a pin from anyone, full disclosure. As soon as they hide things, then they are dishonest, no trust = no deal. Unless I can go in person inspect it, then it is what it is.

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinballwiz:

My jaw just hit the floor! What is that a door for wood stove? I hope you got some money back?

#35 11 years ago

My take on them is they like to sell to people that have no clue about pinball but want a machine for there kids.. When u start asking detailed questions they dont responded to emails anymore. I would not buy from them period.

#36 11 years ago

My jaw just hit the floor! What is that a door for wood stove? I hope you got some money back?

Yeah I got all of it back. It just took months of hounding and threatening to get it back. They sent me a different machine than that was being offered on the auction listing. Here is a pic of the inside of that weird contraption.

frontbig.jpgfrontbig.jpg

#37 11 years ago

It looks like it is a redemption type of set up. Really strange.

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from Jgel:

It looks like it is a redemption type of set up. Really strange.

Actually it looks like a coin door from the 50's. I have a similar one on my puck bowler.
    Mine has the same type of counter inside. Top slot must be where you put the coins.

At lease they put in the service buttons.

Stay away from them.

#40 11 years ago

I bought a Black Rose a few years back. I was told they had three and would send the best one. The machine that I received was not the same one as the one in the pictures that I was sent. Major fade on the cabinet, broken plastics, Fire button did not work, cannon did not work, playfield wear etc. How can a company in business not notice that these are obvious issues with a machine that is considered in, "Excellent overall condition" and "Works 100%." Very dissappointed with the service and followup phone calls. Supprisingly, I bought 3 machines off ebay recently and all three sellers were more professional and the three machine were in great working and physical condition. I personally will stay away from M&P.

#41 11 years ago

Bought from theme once. Once was enough. Stay away.

7 months later
    #42 10 years ago

I bought a few games from them a month ago. They do great restorations to the machines. My pinball plays perfect. I also got used Skee Ball that looks new. They have a new shop. I would buy again.

#43 10 years ago

You must be related?

#44 10 years ago

Your first and only post is bumping a year old thread to tell us how great M&P amusements is???? This reeks of something.

Quoted from Pinhero:

I bought a few games from them a month ago. They do great restorations to the machines. My pinball plays perfect. I also got used Skee Ball that looks new. They have a new shop. I would buy again.

Quoted from NinJaBooT:

You must be related?

#45 10 years ago

Agreed

#46 10 years ago

I had a Fish Tales that was "restored" by M&P. The previous owner bought it from them on Ebay. The game had the wrong coin door cut into the front of the cabinet. The back box decals where printed paper with clear coat sprayed on top. The cabinets had obvious structural problems that where reinforced with angle iron and carriage bolts. Several switches were completely missing from the game. Spray paint touch up on lower cab decals right over bolt heads and surrounding artwork and coin door. I can't speak for all their games but this was the condition of the one I crossed paths with. As always, inspecting a game in person before buying is best.

#47 10 years ago

Welcome to Pinside Pinhero. We'd be interested to hear what games you bought/own.
    You can also list machines in your collection as many other Pinsiders like to do (and can list those you have previously owned). What state do you live in?

#48 10 years ago

Just a hunch, but he lives close to 17401

Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

What state do you live in?

#49 10 years ago

This is a place where you want to see the games and not have them shipped. Went to pick up 2 games described for me as close to CQ and needing nothing. Left the building with nothing in hand my false advertising promises. Neither game was described correctly.-Joe

#50 10 years ago

I never trust ''stores'' enought to buy sight unseen. Their machines are always in ''exellent condition'' until you get there. Anything to get you in the store.

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-ever-buy-from-mp-amusements and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.