Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
METALICA 005.JPG
METALICA 001.JPG
SAM_1739.jpg
DSCN1609.JPG
WP_20130714_001.jpg
There are 230 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 10 years ago

I've played whole day and the software is better but still not perfect.
I've tries setting 1,2 and 3 and not one works perfect.
I have some fanthom hammer hits, and when lock is lit, i hit the captive ball maybe 5 times and the magnet doesn't grab the ball at all.
I am a bit disapointed, I hoped that this update makes the hamer lock perfect, but it doesn't

#152 10 years ago

NO problems here...I played a few games today. TWO coffin multiballs, during one ball(second time since owning machine)

#153 10 years ago

Picked up MoP from Tilt this morning. Thanks Kerry.

SAM_1739.jpgSAM_1739.jpg

#154 10 years ago

Plays great. 1st game $138mil and got coffin multiball in 1st game. A few phantom hammers but all in all, I am very happy.

#155 10 years ago
Quoted from pauloz:

Picked up MoP from Tilt this morning. Thanks Kerry.

Nice to see a picture of you.
It is an amazing game already!

Enjoy!

#156 10 years ago
Quoted from ChoppaCade:

I have a good few games with the new update, first impressions it seems to work now. How ever I still haven't completed the mulit ball even though I have hit it about 20 times in the same game. I got as far as locking 2 balls in one game. Not sure if I have to hit the fuel targets or something else to activate it?
But the main thing is that when it grabs the ball it knocks it down straight away. Although when it wasn't working properly it tried to lock it a lot more than now. Now it is a rare thing for it to grab it and then hammer it.

You need more than 20 hits total to lock all 3 balls even if it is working properly

#157 10 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

You need more than 20 hits total to lock all 3 balls even if it is working properly

25 hits...I get it here towards the end Stacked with Snack. I otherwise stink.

#at=44

Light third lock at 7:20...start coffin @ 7:45

#158 10 years ago

when coffin lock is lit, and you hit the captive ball, does the magnet always grab your ball from the first shot?

#159 10 years ago

No, it's unpredictable.When lock is lit:
- Sometimes the ball is locked at the first shot,
- Sometimes it takes 2 to 5 more shots
- In some other cases, the ball is locked without hitting the captive ball (Just because the ball is in the neighbourhood of the magnet)
- Phatom hammer drop happens.

1.18 is just a software trick to bypass an hardware failure (sensor). I hope that for Stern the problem is not closed and that it's just a temporary solution waiting to find why our sensor doesn't work properly.

#160 10 years ago

The hammer lock needs a sound effect! Or is there one and I'm not hearing it?

#161 10 years ago
Quoted from Elwood_BE:

No, it's unpredictable.When lock is lit:
- Sometimes the ball is locked at the first shot,
- Sometimes it takes 2 to 5 more shots
- In some other cases, the ball is locked without hitting the captive ball (Just because the ball is in the neighbourhood of the magnet)
- Phatom hammer drop happens.
1.18 is just a software trick to bypass an hardware failure (sensor). I hope that for Stern the problem is not closed and that it's just a temporary solution waiting to find why our sensor doesn't work properly.

Yea, I am feeling that but its better than it was, by a LOT. At least they are on to it and at least the lock now works and you can get coffin multiball.

#162 10 years ago
Quoted from Hashman:

The hammer lock needs a sound effect! Or is there one and I'm not hearing it?

Wouldn't mind betting that will be in a future code update. Would be cool. Whack.

#163 10 years ago

That said, played pretty much all day today and am loving it. Metallica is a great pin.

#164 10 years ago
Quoted from pauloz:

Yea, I am feeling that but its better than it was, by a LOT. At least they are on to it and at least the lock now works and you can get coffin multiball.

I agree with you, pinball is a lot more fun now. it's a great temporary solution.

#165 10 years ago

Still playing, I love it. And it will only get better with code.

#166 10 years ago

Sorry to chime in late....

Why is this code (1.18) only for european/export machines? Does that include my machine in Canada? What happens if a "domestic" user tries to use this code??

#167 10 years ago
Quoted from Elwood_BE:

I agree with you, pinball is a lot more fun now. it's a great temporary solution.

Could'nt agree more
"Temporary" solution.

Before it was screwed 95% of the time - now ok maybe 75%.

It is nowhere near a "fix" or "solution" but ok as a stop gap.We at least now have a chance to actually get coffin multiball!!
The phantom magnet/hammer drops are very annoying,and at times frequent with the ball nowhere near the magnet.
Cant help but think it is overly complicated with the magnet-just make the captive ball energise the magnet when lock is lit and pull the magnet down x seconds later after captive ball is hit

poibug

#168 10 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Sorry to chime in late....
Why is this code (1.18) only for european/export machines? Does that include my machine in Canada? What happens if a "domestic" user tries to use this code??

Dont see why you really need it unless yours is screwed too
TBH - of it is it DOES NOT fix it - just make it slightly more bearable

May as well wait for new complete code IMO
poibug

#169 10 years ago

Mine is not that bad. I can live with the phantom hammer going off 3 or 4 times during a game but it works when you hit it. Great game and will only get better.

#170 10 years ago

I have Metallica LE #492 and I live in the states and have not had any phantom hammer's or anything wrong with the coffin multiball.

I wonder what is different between the euro metallica's and the US metallica's?

anyone chime in on the difference?

#171 10 years ago

It is not just an overseas issue, there are at least 2 I know of in the states that are doing this. Mine (it is a premium not an LE, but the PF, and all the wiring harnesses are marked LE) has been doing this from the beginning and my magnet gets extremely HOT, there are several other posts about mine. Stern has sent me a new magnet board for under the PF and that did not help, they are sending me a magnet assembly to try. I have loaded the new code (1.18) and the magnet captures the ball a little better, but not all the time, and the hammer from the time the lock is lit pretty much constantly hammers even if the ball is not moving and is being held on the flipper. once today while the hammer was hammering I shot the ball up there, and it dropped in the hole, then when the magnet tried to come back up, the ball got jammed in between the magnet and the edge of the PF and I had to shut it off and unjam it. I agree with Poibug that it works somewhat better, but it is not a permanent or acceptable solution. It is still a fun game, and even with this MB unavailable, there are still 3 others to achieve and lots of other things to shoot for, but the coffin MB is still really cool to get. (I would like to get it more than once every 20 or so games.) So unless they moved Ohio to Europe without telling me it is not just a European game issue.

Phoebe

#172 10 years ago

My LE #385 will not sense the ball at the coffin magnet. I have NEVER had a ball lock in the coffin. Magnet works, hammer works in test. Magnet doesn't sense ball in test and does not attempt to lock a ball ever. Only time I've seen any of that feature work is in a ball search or in test. Pat at Stern said the problem is the magnet board, and that they are working with the board maker to engineer a firmware fix to that board to fix the problem. Hope this gets sorted out SOON, as it's very frustrating having gotten a new game from the factory where one of the main features flat out doesn't work at all.

Todd

#173 10 years ago

I just use the snakes lip with the left flipper .Locks 80/90 % of the time. Problem solved of my end. I sort of like quirks like that. Make u change your strategy. I get coffin m/b 3 out of 5 games. Start another multiball and whack the shot out of the block

#174 10 years ago

Mine just arrived in Australia and with 1.8 the coffin works but I get alot of phamton hammer/magnet drops! I'm having a few ball shooter lane issues to the ball won't make it all the way up most times unless I use the plunger is this common?

#175 10 years ago

Mine works a treat! So happy with this game.

#176 10 years ago

Hello
I want share my experience to you after trying 1.18 on my Metallica LE, in FRANCE.

So at the beginning, maybe 15 games, the coffin magnet was "fine" with some phantom hammer drops.
After a few more games coffin magnet was working only sometimes.
And now, the magnet is not powering anymore.
It's the same when i go to the menu to test the coffin magnet (detect/grab), with the door closed.

I only can hear a little "bzz" on the little card, when i start the magnet in test, but there is no led lit on the board. I also checked the wires, whitch looks ok. it didnt smell burn.

Do any of you can tell me if there is any led lit on the little board, when activating or not the magnet ?
And if any of you have any idea where i could search, i would be glad to read.
I will send an email to stern.

I actually think that my board have a problem after playing lots of game (250).

Julien

(sorry for my english)

#177 10 years ago
Quoted from julien42:

Hello
I want share my experience to you after trying 1.18 on my Metallica LE, in FRANCE.
So at the beginning, maybe 15 games, the coffin magnet was "fine" with some phantom hammer drops.
After a few more games coffin magnet was working only sometimes.
And now, the magnet is not powering anymore.
It's the same when i go to the menu to test the coffin magnet (detect/grab), with the door closed.
I only can hear a little "bzz" on the little card, when i start the magnet in test, but there is no led lit on the board. I also checked the wires, whitch looks ok. it didnt smell burn.
Do any of you can tell me if there is any led lit on the little board, when activating or not the magnet ?
And if any of you have any idea where i could search, i would be glad to read.
I will send an email to stern.
I actually think that my board have a problem after playing lots of game (250).
Julien
(sorry for my english)

There is an LED on the board, it is green, it flashes when the game is first turned on then it goes off. Stern thought the board under the PF was the problem on mine, and sent me a new one. It didn't fix the issue on mine. The problem with mine is that along with the not grabbing the ball, the magnet gets extremely HOT, and then it will just shut down and not work at all. After the game is shut off and the magnet has cooled it will work again for a couple games. (that is with the 1.16 code) Now since I put the 1.18 code in, I get more grabs with the magnet and it will lock the ball after a few tries. It never holds the ball and just releases it anymore. Now it does the phantom hammer, from the time the lock is lit, the hammer and magnet activate every 5 to 10 seconds even if the ball is held on the flipper and not moving. I believe this helps my magnet not get so hot, because it does eventually grab the ball and lock it. Alot of times the hammer is going down when the ball is just getting to it, so it is hitting the hammer or a couple times now I have had the ball actually drop in the hole while the magnet is down, then when the magnet tries to come back up it jams the ball between the magnet and the bottom of the PF. I am concerned that the way it is now it is going to cause damage to the PF (cause the magnet does not come up gently and it jams the ball pretty hard against the bottom of the PF) or from the ball hitting the hammer. Hopefully Stern comes up with something soon.

Phoebe

#178 10 years ago

My premium also has random hammer hits and fails to lock the ball on a regular basis. Sometimes it grabs the ball then drops it, most of the time when the lock is lit, I can hit the captive ball/box 20 times and it will not trigger a lock. It seems to get worse after you already have 1 ball locked ( if you get that far) very frustrating. Hoping new code fixes it.

#179 10 years ago

After your answer, Phoebe, i tried to look at the board when the game is first turned on.
So on mine, the green LED is flashing 3 times then it goes off.
How many flashes on yours ?
And starting the coffin magnet test, does it flashes too ?

#180 10 years ago
Quoted from julien42:

After your answer, Phoebe, i tried to look at the board when the game is first turned on.
So on mine, the green LED is flashing 3 times then it goes off.
How many flashes on yours ?
And starting the coffin magnet test, does it flashes too ?

yes Julien, at start up, it flashes three times. It also flashes during test mode at certain times. I really think it is a problem with the way the magnet senses the ball. I have also heard they are working on a new board for the way the ball is sensed. I would also suggest you check the magnet after a few games to see if it is very hot. I had my magnet assembly removed and there is a burn mark on the underside of the playfield. It isn't to bad, but I only play a couple of games at a time now then let it cool off. If I am going to play more, I disconnect the magnet. The new code seems to help this alot, my game will lock the ball now, so I don't think the magnet gets as hot now.

Phoebe

#181 10 years ago

Biggest problem with this mess is that it's keeping the devs from adding gameplay features, and instead forcing them into bugfixing. There is a lot of potential with the crank-it-up modes and band member modes, but if they spend a month fixing the magnet... then what?

#182 10 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Biggest problem with this mess is that it's keeping the devs from adding gameplay features, and instead forcing them into bugfixing. There is a lot of potential with the crank-it-up modes and band member modes, but if they spend a month fixing the magnet... then what?

Then the magnet is fixed.....great.

#183 10 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Not really as the problem is not software related.

#184 10 years ago

Hey guys and gals with an LE, can you post your Serial # here?

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metle-post-up-your-serial-and-delivery-date

#185 10 years ago

What on earth for.

#186 10 years ago

Mine doesn't work very well even with the new code and I'm not a bad player - Had coffin MB 2 times in total with new code

It would make sense for them to code the magnet sensor to be disabled or ignored and then once lock is qualified, the code should have been along the lines of:

1. Activate magnet for x seconds upon next captive ball hit
3. After x seconds (or parts of a second) drop magnet plunger
4. After x seconds (or parts of a second) release magnet
5. If coffin lock switch 1 NOT activated return to 1
6. If 5 unsuccessful attempts, disable Magnet / Hammer

#187 10 years ago
Quoted from pauloz:

What on earth for.

Just curious where the LE's are going.

#188 10 years ago

I got my first coffin multiball today, very exciting, pretty cool light show. I still get a lot of phantom hammer drops. I am sure stern are still working on it.

#189 10 years ago

Little question:

Where to find and download the 1.18 LE version?

#191 10 years ago

Beginning to be a drag now TBH

32 hits and still no lock and that is with the new code!That major league sucks!!

Dont get me wrong 1.18/1.2 prob better than before as at least I have a chance now to get the coffin mball,but still a major PITA.
The phantom magnet down dops are gonna cause pf issues soon-mine allready has v sligt damage due to a ball getting stuck.

Wish they would at least implement a stop gap psuedeu lock when magnet down disabled feature.I think that is like pro as it dont have the magnet down mech?

Great potential with this pin if this gets fixed.

Have read only a few USA people with this prob so maybe it is a problem with a batch of parts and we in Europe/Aus have the first batch on summat that was bettter/fixed on later ie post 280 serials number MOPS?
I certainly know that also the UK PREM is affected to

poibug

#192 10 years ago

There has to be something wrong with yours . I can lock almost every ball . Its about 85%. When the snakes mouth is closed with a correct hit it almost every time. Contact stern .

#193 10 years ago

After playing a few more I would say its about the same. I am just so used to taking the shot when the jaw is up. Hit the r side with accuracy and it does lock. I do feel it is software though as it depends on what's going on at the time jaw up clean hit it locks

#194 10 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

After playing a few more I would say its about the same. I am just so used to taking the shot when the jaw is up. Hit the r side with accuracy and it does lock. I do feel it is software though as it depends on what's going on at the time jaw up clean hit it locks

+1 big time

#195 10 years ago

Had this in another thread..
Sorry for the quality, I was resting my phone on the game.
This is after receiving a new magnet board from Stern. Ball 1 seems to lock much easier than other balls, I do also get phantom hammer drops when the ball is nowhere near the magnet.
Notice on ball 2 how many light and direct rolls over the magnet do not get detected. It only seems to catch a very slow moving ball. Believe it or not, since I am rolling the ball by hand and not at flipper speed, the ball actually locks better in this vid, then when I am playing a real game.

#196 10 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Just curious where the LE's are going.

And we're curious about your location.

#197 10 years ago

I like the fact that its not so easy to get the hammer lock achieved..
I pretty much get the whole 3 locked in every game I play but I have to work for it due to the bugs...

Maybe they should write the software to only activate the hammer drop if you hit all the M targets inc the amount it requires to hit the hammer block. (jus sayin)

#198 10 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

There has to be something wrong with yours . I can lock almost every ball . Its about 85%. When the snakes mouth is closed with a correct hit it almost every time. Contact stern .

Mines the same, around 85%

#199 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

And we're curious about your location.

Although I posted in the LE Serial # thread, to ally any fears that I am NSA and attempting to collect a database of LE locations, with delivery dates, so as to cross-reference shipping information gleaned from PRISM and verify that you did indeed receive your LE, on the date, with the Serial # posted I will post my information.

#199 will be in Mesa, AZ within 2 months, as I am currently contracting in Afghanistan.

#200 10 years ago

Inquiring minds wanted to know.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 12.95
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 230 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-elses-metallica-coffin-magnet-hardly-dropping/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.