(Topic ID: 15155)

Anyone else think the T-Rex on JP could be cooler? Who has a JP FS?

By BackAlleyMatt

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by smerff
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpeg
jp_east_dock_sign_blog.jpg
DSC01010_(Large).JPG
DSC01001_(Large).JPG
DSC01000_(Large).JPG
Brachiosaur2.PNG
Brachiosaur1.PNG
before_after_t-rex.jpg
There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 12 years ago

Hi guys so I was talking to a few friends the other day about some props for JP and one asked if there was a pinball. I showed him the pics and immediately he saw the "T-Rex" and asked why they went with a Brachiosaur to eat the balls and not a T-Rex. I said it is a T-Rex and they laughed and said, no that's the same dinosaur that sneezed on the girl in the tree..lol

This got me to thinking some more on something I too noticed. The T-rex on the game does not look mean, it looks kinda...well none threatening. So what I think I am going to do is make a T-Rex to replace the original dinosaur. But it will have to be in that 25th hour of the day when I am not working on JJP stuff. Sorry JJP is priority

In order for me to make this part I need a game. Which is a good thing as it is one that I want for my personal collection. With that in mind who has a JP for sale....cheap. I plan to make this game totally custom for my personal collection so the cabinet being beat up is no big. I would prefer the playfield be in good shape. Unless some one has a NOS PF? Then I don't care about the one in the game.

Have a look at this picture. I plan on making it look really close to that. But again this is a side project for me cuz JJP has to come first. Let me know if you guys would be interested in an upgraded T-Rex.

Let me know if anyone has a JP for sale. I am in Northwest IN 46311 45mins outside of Chicago

Thanks, Matt

before_after_t-rex.jpgbefore_after_t-rex.jpg

#2 12 years ago

If you made a more T-Rex looking mod to replace the current ball eating dinosaur on JP, I would buy one!

#4 12 years ago

Eh...T-rex was a scavenger anyway.

"....scientists think that T-Rex didn't chase down its prey at all, but was merely a scavenger. As a scavenger he fed off of already dead animals, killed by old age, disease, or other carnivores,
Paleontologist Jack Horner of the Museum of the Rockies is leading proponent of the theory that T. rex could not have been a predator. He maintains that its eyes were too small to see distant prey; its arms were too small to hold victims; and that is huge legs would have resulted in it moving slowly. He also points out that its large olfactory lobes provided it with an acute sense of smell. Vultures also have large olfactory lobes which they use to smell dead bodies at great distance...."

#5 12 years ago

Definitely looks much cooler IMO. If I had a JP it would be a must add. Good luck on finding one to trick out Matt. Hope you might post pics once your done with it.

#6 12 years ago

Think it would be a great idea. I bet you would sell a lot of them.

#7 12 years ago

Ya the Jp pin trex does not look like a trex.....

#8 12 years ago

The first time I played one years ago in the low light I thought it was a raptor. I hate it! I would be VERY interested for mine too. I live close by but not planning to sell. LMK if you need anything. I'm in the South Bend area.

#9 12 years ago

Please count me in for one if you decide to sell them.

#10 12 years ago

I'd buy

#11 12 years ago

I'd buy. FYI, that "original" T-rex has different colors than mine
How about a topper too?

Bob C WOZ 325

#12 12 years ago

I'm interested in one Matt!

& of course it will look great next to all the other stuff I already have from you (sandman, building mods, pinballs, e.t.c.)

#13 12 years ago

would be an improvement, under-rated game

#14 12 years ago

How about another tour of the park?

#15 12 years ago

I'd put money down for one as well as long as it is reasonably affordable (read: not $500+ dollars).

#16 12 years ago

This would be great to see - count me in.

#17 12 years ago

Woah! Best news all week Matt! I just bought a JP and have been personalizing it here and there. It's quickly becoming one of my favorite games. A T-Rex with your talent behind it would be a must have. Take as long as you need, but consider me preordered!
Take care,
Chris

#18 12 years ago

JP is a great game, I'd have a hard time parting with mine, I agree, I dont think it looks bad, but make the eyes a little better, and maybe some 'dentures' since I think the big missing part is teeth to make it look mean!! I put bright green LEDs faced on mine and it helps a bit

#19 12 years ago

My 76 year old Dad calls it a Dragon anyways..?
It is a neat idea for a Mod though

#20 12 years ago

I would buy one, if I had a JP...

#21 12 years ago
Quoted from BillinIndiana:

My 76 year old Dad calls it a Dragon anyways..?

Is your dad very, very Christian? As in a Bible literalist? That could have something to do with his interpretation, or he might just not know much about dinosaurs.

#22 12 years ago

Looks great! Love the BackAlley mods.

1 week later
#23 11 years ago

Good news!!! I pick up a nice JP on this coming monday! Still gonna take some time to get the T-Rex made but at least I have the game and can get all the measurements off it. Not to mention I am sure I'll come up with some other mods.

Was thinking the Jurassic Park Welcome gates need to be in 3D as well. Those things are really cool in the movie and I think the printed plastic is not doing it for me. Open to other ideas and if I end up making it I will hook it up on a price for who ever came up with the idea

Thanks for all the support!

#24 11 years ago

Any mods you create for JP... count me in also!

#25 11 years ago

Markus Rothkranz originally sculpted the "T-Rex" to look much more detailed than the dummed-down production model. The production version looks like a far cry from his original design. Heck, even his original sculpture is a brachiosaur, despite the fact that he claims otherwise.

Brachiosaur1.PNGBrachiosaur1.PNG Brachiosaur2.PNGBrachiosaur2.PNG

#26 11 years ago

I think the welcome doors should open and close.

#27 11 years ago

I *LOVE* JP the way it is, but I have had a few ideas every now and again...

The first is like you said, the doors for the gate would be cool to actually be molded, and as for them opening and closing, I think it would be neat to do that based on the diverter on the ramp -- when the diverter opens to return the ball to the left lane, close the doors. It should theoretically be possible (although is probably more work than I would ever care to do to install it) and would make it so that you are never shooting the closed doors.

The Control Room could have something sculpted to go above it that integrates the two lights and actually makes it look more like a control room. I've always thought it was odd how it is just the two lights above it. The bunker is less of a big deal, but could be the same way.

The boat dock shot in the back is screaming out to have something boat-dock-ish added to it.

The little metal box that says, "SHOOT T-REX WHEN LIT" would be way better to be either a stalled jeep from the movie, or something else. Maybe wired so that the light triggers the brake lights on the jeep. I once saw someone do a mod something like this with a small JP Matchbox car style toy, and it looked okay, but it still had the light sticking out the top and I didn't like that.

Finally, the thing that I feel like needs it more than anything, and the thing that I have honestly tried coming up with something for a couple times -- the Raptor Pit is one of the most intimidating shots in any game, and yet it isn't celebrated at all. I love the mounted Ram on BBH for the similar shot. I have tried unsuccessfully mounting a raptor toy back there (it looks like a raptor toy). Other ideas would be building up the sides of it in 3D just a little to make it actually look like the raptor pit, and / or even putting a little top on it with the trees or whatever. It has always bothered me that the game has something that celebrates pretty much every other shot except for the most dangerous one in the game... that has nothing. The stupid captive ball shot right next door has the amazing mosquito in amber... why doesn't the raptor pit have *something*?

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I *LOVE* JP the way it is, but I have had a few ideas every now and again...
The first is like you said, the doors for the gate would be cool to actually be molded, and as for them opening and closing, I think it would be neat to do that based on the diverter on the ramp -- when the diverter opens to return the ball to the left lane, close the doors. It should theoretically be possible (although is probably more work than I would ever care to do to install it) and would make it so that you are never shooting the closed doors.
The Control Room could have something sculpted to go above it that integrates the two lights and actually makes it look more like a control room. I've always thought it was odd how it is just the two lights above it. The bunker is less of a big deal, but could be the same way.
The boat dock shot in the back is screaming out to have something boat-dock-ish added to it.
The little metal box that says, "SHOOT T-REX WHEN LIT" would be way better to be either a stalled jeep from the movie, or something else. Maybe wired so that the light triggers the brake lights on the jeep. I once saw someone do a mod something like this with a small JP Matchbox car style toy, and it looked okay, but it still had the light sticking out the top and I didn't like that.
Finally, the thing that I feel like needs it more than anything, and the thing that I have honestly tried coming up with something for a couple times -- the Raptor Pit is one of the most intimidating shots in any game, and yet it isn't celebrated at all. I love the mounted Ram on BBH for the similar shot. I have tried unsuccessfully mounting a raptor toy back there (it looks like a raptor toy). Other ideas would be building up the sides of it in 3D just a little to make it actually look like the raptor pit, and / or even putting a little top on it with the trees or whatever. It has always bothered me that the game has something that celebrates pretty much every other shot except for the most dangerous one in the game... that has nothing. The stupid captive ball shot right next door has the amazing mosquito in amber... why doesn't the raptor pit have *something*?

Wow...I just was about to start typing darn near all the same stuff Dan said! I should send you pics of my raptor though, I got the Papo one and it looks amazing. Just the right size to blend in yet still look important. Very nice detail too. I have it mounted towards the back of the shot slightly behind the ramp so it does not take away from the T-Rex being the focal point. It works really, really well there if I do say so myself.

I love the idea of a sweet gate...opening and closing would be cool, but not a deal breaker at all. Maybe they could open at the start of the game (Welcome to Jurassic Park) and close at the end? I don't know...just stationary is fine really. Put me on the list for whatever you come up with here too!

I'd say all three scoops need something over them besides just the metal stick with two lights on it. I've toyed with the idea of putting some trees or something around them, but don't want it to get too busy. So there's definitely some improvement to be made there.

I'm right on board with Dan about the boat dock and especially the "Shoot T-Rex" box. I've seen the Explorer mod that he mentioned and it's cool, but could be even better. Loving the brake light idea!

The clear plastic to the right of the upper flipper also seems to be begging for something. I thought about putting another dino there, but couldn't find anything the right size that I'd want. Again, not wanting it to get too busy, but it seems to need something.

The area around the diverter/above the pop bumpers seems a little bare, but I put a Papo Ptyranadon there in a pose that doesn't kill the visibility and that worked just right. I could see you coming up with something cool over that diverter though...

So many great possibilities with this game, and it would be easy to go overboard! Can't wait to see how it all progresses Matt!

Take care,
Chris

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

I love the idea of a sweet gate...opening and closing would be cool, but not a deal breaker at all. Maybe they could open at the start of the game (Welcome to Jurassic Park) and close at the end?

YES. That would be AWESOME! Especially since the sound byte says "Welcome to JP" at the beginning. I am 100% for that.

Now you got me wanting to buy the Papo dinos too D: !!!

#30 11 years ago

Finally got around to taking some pics of my JP now that the "egg" is in. I think all three dinosaurs fit in perfectly without being obtrusive.

DSC01000_(Large).JPGDSC01000_(Large).JPG DSC01001_(Large).JPGDSC01001_(Large).JPG DSC01010_(Large).JPGDSC01010_(Large).JPG

#31 11 years ago

Where's the Steggy D: ?

#32 11 years ago

Steggy no fitty. He now sits on the shelf along side of the pin with the T-Rex and Explorer "topper" that came with my machine but doesn't fit in my basement.

Maybe Matt can make me a Steggy that will fit somewhere...hint, hint.

#33 11 years ago

I have looked everywhere for a Jungle Explorer to put in there with led lights. I recently talked to a guy at an expo who has hooked a "spotlight" up that waves back and forth inside an explorer. And I want more Dinos. More Detailed Pteradons, gimme a longneck in the back, and a raptor here or there. I'd take a spitter over those targets as well.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

I have looked everywhere for a Jungle Explorer to put in there with led lights. I recently talked to a guy at an expo who has hooked a "spotlight" up that waves back and forth inside an explorer. And I want more Dinos. More Detailed Pteradons, gimme a longneck in the back, and a raptor here or there. I'd take a spitter over those targets as well.

Here's an explorer...

ebay.com link: JP JURASSIC PARK JUNGLE EXPLORER VEHICLE 100 COMPLETE W BOX INSTRUCTIONS

#35 11 years ago

Hi Guys, got the JP!!! I am for sure making the JP gates and gonna see what I can do about adding the lights/torches to them. Also gonna make an East Doc sign for the pf as well. This will probably be one of the first mods I make for the game followed by the T-Rex and the JP Gates. Got a few more ideas brewing but not sure on them yet. Have to keep the WOZ parts going but JP parts will be coming to

http://backalleycreations.blogspot.com/2012/05/jurassic-park-is-in-house.html

Check out the life size East Doc Sign that I made for the house

jp_east_dock_sign_blog.jpgjp_east_dock_sign_blog.jpg

#36 11 years ago

Matt! I would buy um! JP is my wife's favorite game, but I have been getting into it lately.

Make some MODS for this game and we will buy them!!!! re-making the topper would be cool also

#37 11 years ago

Hurry up and finish WOZ

shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpegshut-up-and-take-my-money.jpeg

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

Hurry up and finish WOZ

Attachments shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpeg (66.6 KB, 0 downloads) 15 hours old

+1 !!!

If you make the gates that open and shut and the TREX, I will commit to buying both. Those would be so awesome!

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from BackAlleyMatt:

Check out the life size East Doc Sign that I made for the house

WOW!! That's awesome.

3 weeks later
#40 11 years ago

Add me to the list of people interested if anyone creates mods. I just paid for my JP, my first pin, and it should be delivered within the next couple of weeks so I'm already looking for mods and enhancements made for the game.

#41 11 years ago

Any new ideas or updates to post?

#42 11 years ago

Count me in for any mods you come up with.

I also think the side inside of the cabinet screams out for some decals ie where mirror blades would go.

#43 11 years ago

Broken fence on one side, destroyed outhouse on the other?

2 months later
#44 11 years ago

Any updates on the t-rex mod?

#45 11 years ago

Nothing yet but still planning for expo. We are moving soon so as if not busy enough got that adding to things...lol

I should have at least the east doc sign and the large JP gates done for expo, the t-rex is still up in the air if I'll have it done in time.

#46 11 years ago

Look forward to seeing those gates. There's a lot of room for improvement even if they don't open and close.

#47 11 years ago

cannot wait!

just purchased a jp and looking for new things to place in it!

#48 11 years ago

Sweet!!

#49 11 years ago

It's definitely worth the wait I'm sure!

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from BackAlleyMatt:

the large JP gates done for expo

Are there pictures anywhere of this? I don't think I see any in this thread.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Vienna, VA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-else-think-the-t-rex-on-jp-could-be-cooler-who-has-a-jp-fs?responsive=0 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.