(Topic ID: 233016)

Anyone else switching to buying arcade games?

By Backyardace

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 127 posts
  • 95 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Lamprey
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Sam.jpg
    26E4DA8B-61F5-49BC-B0A3-A73C6F7B292E (resized).jpeg
    4E1257DA-F8EE-499F-A5BA-E12B1C6495E3 (resized).jpeg
    C1225179-AB29-43D8-9D4F-D74AF7FA9D2A (resized).jpeg
    4403D813-BEEF-4D6F-B00D-A0B38CD3610F (resized).jpeg
    f3a6ee48a5c78862b1f448b5533584080aef5546 (resized).jpg
    20180923_110329 (resized).jpg
    5247E75C-B485-4171-9BE5-46045893EA56 (resized).jpeg
    61902_440893616165_3595541_n (resized).jpg
    41 (resized).JPG
    outrun2final (resized).jpg
    185985b6166fddfcb497ef1d1904568020f09633 (resized).jpg
    269d758d698d0e82229a7d50cf6464caec0a507c (resized).jpg
    DC217D69-D649-457C-B008-5D06C0218FAC (resized).jpeg
    f9e6297ff52e143010637b921b46027704097b29 (resized).jpg

There are 127 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 5 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

That's about where I've gotten to, they're used at parties but I rarely play them currently. I played a ton of Rocksmith (real guitar + xbox = super fun) a couple years ago before I had some physical issues with playing too much, lol (I was playing every night for an hour or two).

My left hand feels crippled most mornings when I wake up. I have been learning to play for 10 weeks now. I am hoping the pain goes away eventually. lol

#102 5 years ago

I've been going the opposite direction. I got into video arcade games first but then got reintroduced to pinball by Portland's thriving scene and haven't looked back. For the most part, barring special control schemes or really oddball hardware, video arcade games can be emulated perfectly, or near it. With pinball the virtual experience isn't even close yet, and on top of that every individual example of a physical table plays slightly different and has its own quirks. The replay value and continued engagement of pinball is just orders of magnitude higher than arcade video games. I still have several, but I've largely satisfied my nostalgia in that area and don't really seek out anything new unless it's a killer deal.

#103 5 years ago
    Quoted from Nexyss:

My left hand feels crippled most mornings when I wake up. I have been learning to play for 10 weeks now. I am hoping the pain goes away eventually. lol

Mine was caused by poor posture I think, sitting in a recliner while playing and then doing it every day. Got a cyst the size of golf ball on my left wrist, had to have surgery to have it removed. Haven't played much since though I desperately want to.

#104 5 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

That's about where I've gotten to, they're used at parties but I rarely play them currently. I played a ton of Rocksmith (real guitar + xbox = super fun) a couple years ago before I had some physical issues with playing too much, lol (I was playing every night for an hour or two).

If there are physical issues with guitar playing and you're not new to it, it may have more to do with the technique (wrist/arm/finger positioning, etc.). One or two hours a day shouldn't cause issues (been playing for nearly 24 years myself--only time I really had an issue was when trying to "shred" on a bass as if it were a guitar and there was bend that took out something in my finger for weeks ). Otherwise, I can also say my guitars get more play than my pins, but I do play the pins almost every day.

#105 5 years ago

I started with Arcade Games in 1995 ish or so... Quickly got into pins... My first pin was a High Speed... since then my max at one time was 36 Arcade Games and 6 pins... I have owned well over 300+ Arcade Games and 30 or so pins since I started back then... current lineup is... Frogger, Burgertime, Pac-man (with 6 Pac Mod), Gyruss (with 60 in 1), Centipede, Mario Bros, Rush the Rock, Hang On... and for Pins: Rescue 911, Comet, Mr and Mrs Pac-Man

#106 5 years ago

I grew up in arcades of the 1990s, but I lean more towards the classics of the early 80s.

They provide a greater challenge and the replay factor is much better. They do not allow you to continue where you left off when you die. They take some skill, unlike the button mashers of the 90s that let you continue endlessly.

Plus, you can't beat having the original machine and hardware. This is my line up straight outta 1982: Satan's Hollow, Robotron 2084, and Sinistar. Also own Super Pac Man and Elevator Action. Hope to find Burgertime eventually!

20180923_110329 (resized).jpg20180923_110329 (resized).jpg
    #107 5 years ago

Well button mashing certainly started in the 80s with the GOAT ; Gauntlet.
    But I totally agree with your point.

#108 5 years ago

I love revisiting the 80s games, even made a cheap MAME cab. I'm not a carpenter, and let's leave it at that!

I've decided to try one again, this time take a little more time, and then hang it on the wall for parties and the occasional romp. I have no interest in having 5 huge machines crammed in my family room, even if they are pins That is not to say I don't frequent the want ads though, just sayin'!

I totally agree with the comment about losing interest when not having to jam quarters in. It takes away the urgency to perform.

#109 5 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

I totally agree with the comment about losing interest when not having to jam quarters in. It takes away the urgency to perform.

For my MAME cabinet I mounted buttons behind the coin reject buttons in the coin door. so at least you have to reach down and simulate dropping in a quarter, and it adds to the excitement when that continue screen pops up.

Now I challenge myself. In high school I’d drop $.50 into street fighter and see how far I could get with one credit. Now I usually don’t even continue on that game. You beat it on one credit or not at all.

#110 5 years ago

It's been years since I bought any JAMMA boards - my Taito F3 board collection cost about 40 quid or so each at the start of the decade, and are easily three or four times that much now. The most valuable boards I ever picked up, as part of an arcade job lot that got me started, were an original Namco System 1 Splatterhouse and a four-player Simpsons. God knows what the Splatterhouse in particular goes for now.

#111 5 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

For my MAME cabinet I mounted buttons behind the coin reject buttons in the coin door. so at least you have to reach down and simulate dropping in a quarter, and it adds to the excitement when that continue screen pops up.
    Now I challenge myself. In high school I’d drop $.50 into street fighter and see how far I could get with one credit. Now I usually don’t even continue on that game. You beat it on one credit or not at all.

Not a bad idea. Maybe I should install a coin door and get some quarters, you know, to save for the next pinball!

#112 5 years ago

While my primary interest has always been pins, quite often when buying one
    the seller will have a dead video game cheap or even free. I enjoy bringing
    things back to life others wouldn't (or can't) fix. Repairing vid boards is
    very challenging.

So over the years have built up a decent collection. All older and most Atari vector
    video games. Have most of them now. Although many are full size
    upright, over half are cocktails. 25 vids and 50 pins at this time and
    no more room.

My faves are Battlezone, Tempest, Red Baron and Star Wars. Also have a big
    homebrew MAME for games I like but are too expensive (QBert Cubes, Quantum).
    Steve

#113 5 years ago

I love the look of 80s era games all setup in a game room. It appeals to my childhood. I got out of collecting and restoring video games years ago. Although super nostalgic... they just don’t hold my interest like pins. I’ve got one video game (a nicely restored space invaders) and a MAME cab. They don’t get played that often... the space invaders looks good in the game room tho.

#114 5 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Not a bad idea. Maybe I should install a coin door and get some quarters, you know, to save for the next pinball!

If your going to use an actual mech, make sure it’s for tokens. And have a jar of free tokens close by.

Putting a quarter mech in a MAME machine is a big “no no”. Having it at home will be fine, but if you sell it and it ends up on route making money, that wouldnt be alright. After all, you can have a MAME cabinet that looks 100% legit without anyone knowing what’s inside.

#115 5 years ago

I have a MAME project I did about 15 years ago with a multisync arcade monitor I put in a gutted Gauntlet Legends cabinet I found at a local operator which turned out to be very clean. Used new arcade controls and Ultimarc 360s in the P1 and P2 spots so they work with a large variety of games (2-way, 4-way, 8-way, analog). Also used an old computer 2.1 amplified speaker set with the amp powering the orginal large arcade cabinet speakers and the sub in the bottom.

f3a6ee48a5c78862b1f448b5533584080aef5546 (resized).jpgf3a6ee48a5c78862b1f448b5533584080aef5546 (resized).jpg

This thing is my shrine to CRT technology now. It's pretty sweet.

Even so, there is nothing like playing an original arcade cab for a lot of games, if I had the room I'd run a row of the classics like Donkey Kong Jr., Tron, Robotron, Tempest. Ah, who am I kidding, pinball always wins the space wars...

#116 5 years ago

I had a house full of games and sold most of them to make room/pay for pinball machines. I just have 3 games now. A beautiful original Donkey Kong (my baby), a pacman running a dozen or so classics and a NBA Jam running just about everything on a Raspberry Pi.
    I am a HUGE supporter of original classic gaming but I just isnt practical in the home(unless you have tons of space, more power to you)
    My advice is always pick up a cabinet of one of your favorite games, fix it up to home quality, (ideally with an original monitor) and run a multicade out of it. Slap it in the middle of your pinball room.

#117 5 years ago

I had a house full of games and sold most of them to make room/pay for pinball machines. I just have 3 games now. (Down from 13)
    A beautiful original Donkey Kong (my baby), a pacman running a dozen or so classics and a NBA Jam running just about everything on a Raspberry Pi.
    I am a HUGE supporter of original classic gaming but it just isnt practical in the home if you are also into pinball.(unless you have tons of space, more power to you)
    Classic games can be copied with 98+% accuracy. Pinball cannot. (Imo)
    My advice is always pick up a cabinet of one of your favorite games, fix it up to home
    quality, (ideally with an original monitor) and run a multicade out of it. Slap it in the middle of your pinball room.

#118 5 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

If your going to use an actual mech, make sure it’s for tokens. And have a jar of free tokens close by.
    Putting a quarter mech in a MAME machine is a big “no no”. Having it at home will be fine, but if you sell it and it ends up on route making money, that wouldnt be alright. After all, you can have a MAME cabinet that looks 100% legit without anyone knowing what’s inside.

Ha, no worries there. But I definitely understand the ramifications.

#119 5 years ago

When I first started collecting coin op:

4E1257DA-F8EE-499F-A5BA-E12B1C6495E3 (resized).jpeg4E1257DA-F8EE-499F-A5BA-E12B1C6495E3 (resized).jpeg

After a couple of years:

4403D813-BEEF-4D6F-B00D-A0B38CD3610F (resized).jpeg4403D813-BEEF-4D6F-B00D-A0B38CD3610F (resized).jpegC1225179-AB29-43D8-9D4F-D74AF7FA9D2A (resized).jpegC1225179-AB29-43D8-9D4F-D74AF7FA9D2A (resized).jpeg

The Robotron was my first game ever and I still have it, but pinball is way more fun than arcade, which get old fast.

Eventually:

26E4DA8B-61F5-49BC-B0A3-A73C6F7B292E (resized).jpeg26E4DA8B-61F5-49BC-B0A3-A73C6F7B292E (resized).jpeg

#120 5 years ago

I am not necessarily switching to arcades but I am taking a break from buying pins. I have 14 and my collection is pretty solid. None of the rumored titles really interest me at this point. I would be willing to move HUO stern IJ if anyone is interested. If I move that I may try and pick up a MM or TNA but that would be about it for now.

For vids, I just bought a DDR that my wife loves more than life. Probably going to end up restoring it because she loves it so much. Also, once I finish my garage space, turning it into game room space I am going to bite the bullet and by an arcade Raw Thrills JP and a galaxy dart machine.

If anyone in California has some restored vids or vids in good shape please let me know what you have available.

I am sure I will switch back to pins at some point but all my guests enjoy the variety and I have lots of parties.

#121 5 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

When I first started collecting coin op:
    [quoted image]
    After a couple of years:
    [quoted image][quoted image]
    The Robotron was my first game ever and I still have it, but pinball is way more fun than arcade, which get old fast.
    Eventually:
    [quoted image]

At least you kept Robotron

#122 5 years ago

If anyone is looking to do some trades or wants to sell some arcades-please pm me. I am currently looking for: Sega Turbo Outrun Cabaret, Sega Power Drift, Sega Hang On, Star Wars(not overpriced), Wacko, Zeke's Peak, Spy Hunter and maybe a reasonably priced used newer Golden Tee or BBH.

#123 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

If anyone is looking to do some trades or wants to sell some arcades-please pm me. I am currently looking for: Sega Turbo Outrun Cabaret, Sega Power Drift, Sega Hang On, Star Wars(not overpriced), Wacko, Zeke's Peak, Spy Hunter and maybe a reasonably priced used newer Golden Tee or BBH.

Careful with Golden Tee. Something about those boards attracts mice like crazy. They eat though them. Yum.

#124 5 years ago
    Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Something about those boards attracts mice like crazy. They eat though them.

No problems with mice in my home-I have a mouser!

Sam.jpgSam.jpg
    #125 5 years ago

It's always been mainly pins for me I've owned a few vids over the years but they just didn't have staying power or were too much of a pia to keep working. I do have a few arcades but they are all em's.

#126 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

No problems with mice in my home-I have a mouser!
    [quoted image]

Yes but the last 6 owners may not have. Golden tee (especially late 90s/early 2000s) really do attract mice like crazy. Just look them over thoroughly and you'll be ok. Just something I like to point out to Golden tee fans

#127 5 years ago

Arcade - An indoor area containing coin-operated video games. Plural - Arcades
    Arcade Machine - A coin-operated video game.

There are 127 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-else-switching-to-buying-arcade-games/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.