(Topic ID: 18595)

Anyone else rate a game then have to go through all their ratings?

By sixsixtie

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Metalpin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I just reviewed a single game then had to go through all my previous ratings to adjust to get the game where I wanted it in my top ten. I don't often rate games, usually I'll rate a game only after I've had enough to play to really learn it and really understand the game. Pinball is kind of weird in the fact that sometimes I'll play a game 2-3 times and think I hate it when 3-6 months down the road I'll decide I was completely wrong and the game's actually pretty good. I try and keep an open mind but it still happens.

Today I figured I'd had enough play on POTO and I figured I'd rate it. After I rated it I went to my ratings and saw where it stood. I liked my rating but didn't like where it stood in my top X games. I then spent all this time going through all my ratings adjusting them to get them where I felt POTO stood and also where my top ten stood since the last time I rated a game.

Anyone else find themselves doing this every so often or am I just a little OCD?

#2 7 years ago

funny you should mention this.
    it's been slow at work this week, so I went through and rated a bunch more games last night that I have been playing recently, and also adjusted some others.

not OCD, but the best way to keep a rating system fresh imo. it's great how you can switch sides on pinball after weeks/months/or even years. well done I say.

cheers

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from sixsixtie:

After I rated it I went to my ratings and saw where it stood. I liked my rating but didn't like where it stood in my top X games. I then spent all this time going through all my ratings adjusting them to get them where I felt POTO stood and also where my top ten stood since the last time I rated a game.

I'm guessing you're not a scientist are you?

#4 7 years ago

The eternal struggle with what you think are your top 10 things compared to what you think your top 10 pins are.

#5 7 years ago

I tend to go back and re-rate games every so often to keep my rating updated with my taste change. I also changes some "weight" on what is more important to me in the rating of a pin. I never rate a pin that I dont have a great understanding on the rules of the game. I tend to play a pin 30-50 times b4 I rate it. Some pins even longer then that. I think after about 100 games on a pin you tend not to change your rating after that. Once you know a pins every detail. Fun and lastability is big with me along with the rules so my weight in these areas are a bit heavy. Some games raise the bar for me and make me adjust other games to my new outlook.

#6 7 years ago

I understand what your saying. Basically it's impossible to have a perfect rating system, so I don't see anything wrong with a little tweaking.

#7 7 years ago

I am tweaking constantly as my taste evolves or I play new games enough to geta good feel for them and it makes me change how I feel about other games. I love that you can change your own personal ratings whenever you want!

#8 7 years ago

I have re-rated games in the posted instance. Then I decided just cause its rated higher than a game that is on my top of my list to buy means nothing. It's always good to go thru your rating once in a while.

#9 7 years ago

Theres not enough adjustability for me. I would throw 50% of my rating at fun factor and 25 % at last ability.

#10 7 years ago

I could list you my top 10 games, but I doubt any online rating system would ever reflect my list exactly. I just don't worry about it. I know what I like. Sometimes the tastes change too. No biggie.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 15.00
    € 95.00
    Lighting - Led
    FlipperLED
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 16.00
    Tools
    PinballSolutions.eu
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 44.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 18.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 109.99
    $ 15.45
    Gameroom - Decorations
    KAHR.US Circuits
    $ 130.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinfarmer Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside