(Topic ID: 120992)

Anyone else play 2 players game vs themselves?

By PoMC

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by agodfrey
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20150311_202049.jpg
givesacrap.jpeg
IMG_9744[1].JPG

#1 4 years ago

When I play alone, I usually run tournaments in my head - sometimes I write down the players' names to keep track of a larger tournament.

Sometimes I'm not even the one playing in the tournament, it's two other people and I provide color commentary in my head on the action. My favorite scenario is a local arcade is running a smaller tourny and the winner gets entry to the large tournament with no buy in fee.

Over the course of a few games, each player begins to develop their own personality and gameplay strategy and some rivalries are born.

Last night while playing a 2 player game of No Fear, my wife asked me which player I was. I told her I'm not even playing, it's two other guys trying to qualify. She rolled her eyes at me.

Anyone else do this too? Or am I just a bit touched in the head?

#2 4 years ago

No, your just touched in a special way.

#3 4 years ago

The idea of running commentary for some "other" player is hilarious. Maybe I'll try that at league tonight.

#4 4 years ago

Think of the World Series of Poker type commentary. "Player 2 needs one more orbit to light extra ball and then should try to start multiball."

#5 4 years ago

No you're not touched in the head, there's nothing wrong with playing with yourself!
As long as you don't let your aunt Martha catch you! Embarrassing... to say the least!

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Think of the World Series of Poker type commentary. "Player 2 needs one more orbit to light extra ball and then should try to start multiball."

The overlap between "people who like poker" and "people who would/do enjoy pinball" is pretty big in my experience.

#7 4 years ago

I do something similar pretty often. I don't make up personalities for the players or give them names, but I'll usually pick a strategy for each player in a multiplayer game. It's helpful when trying to test out all of a game's features while assessing whether a game on route is suitable for league play.

Finding ways to put yourself in a different mindset seems like it could be pretty useful in a tournament setting! In his PAPA videos, Bowen often talks about pretending that nothing interesting or important is going on in the game when you're trying to make that mode start or jackpot shot.

#8 4 years ago

IMG_9744[1].JPG

#9 4 years ago

I like to do that on my EM...exercises the relays and score reels for all players. I'll play 6 person shuffle bowling by myself as well

#10 4 years ago

Going with touched as well...

I mainly don't do this because with my luck, I'd have 2 back to back best ball ever games, but they'd be on 2 different players.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Last night while playing a 2 player game of No Fear, my wife asked me which player I was. I told her I'm not even playing, it's two other guys trying to qualify. She rolled her eyes at me.

That's awesome.

#12 4 years ago

I would play 2 player but I'm a sore loser!

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Law:

It's helpful when trying to test out all of a game's features while assessing whether a game on route is suitable for league play.
Finding ways to put yourself in a different mindset seems like it could be pretty useful in a tournament setting!

Awesome, that's a great idea. I'm definitely going to start doing that.

There's a free-play pin bar in my area where I've always kept my practicing to just mashing single player games over and over. Free is obviously great, but the combination of that and the single player factor takes a lot of the danger out of it. I admit I often end up playing noticeably weaker because nothing is on the line. Adding in the second player slot and using it to compare a different strategy might add a bit of competition heat back into the mix.

#14 4 years ago

I'll start a 4 player on Surf Champ, and after the third ball I will take on the lower score (underdog), and start talking smack. Must show confidence when down big!

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

When I play alone, I usually run tournaments in my head - sometimes I write down the players' names to keep track of a larger tournament.
Sometimes I'm not even the one playing in the tournament, it's two other people and I provide color commentary in my head on the action. My favorite scenario is a local arcade is running a smaller tourny and the winner gets entry to the large tournament with no buy in fee.
Over the course of a few games, each player begins to develop their own personality and gameplay strategy and some rivalries are born.

dude... ...

...dude...

really?

not sure if serious

#16 4 years ago

When I do play against myself I usually cheat and pull off the glass when the other me isn't looking to jack up my score. So far I have not been caught!

I like to play 4 players on my ems from time to time to work the reels and also because the reset sound of all four score banks clacking away gives me goose bumps! Litterally I get bumps on me shaped like Geese! I even make little outfits for them!

#17 4 years ago

Not gonna lie, that seems really weird. But, I am no stranger to being weird/odd.

#18 4 years ago

I do it. I don't assign names or anything, but I like to play 4 players on Elvira and steal locks...from myself.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

This is what happens when noone gives a crap about your(read my) pinball hobby. I think its a great way to cope. I may try it one day. I especially like the idea of not even being anyone playing lol. Excellent. My alter ego's will definitely need names though for the complete package.

What would be grounds for disqualifying yourself? Also would you kick yourself out of your own house for getting too roudy?

Also, should you be a good host and have snacks and drinks out for yourself or do you make yourself bring your own food?

What kind of prizes should be awarded?

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

noone gives a crap about your(read my) pinball hobby.

He's baaack!

givesacrap.jpeg

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Also, should you be a good host and have snacks and drinks out for yourself or do you make yourself bring your own food?

I tell myself it is BMOB (bring my own booze)

#22 4 years ago

Sometimes I'll play a 2 player where one player goes after a certain target only, then the other player after another target only... example, drops vs vari-target. Kind of interesting to compare scores this way.

While I don't think of other fantasy players by name, I have on occasion done USA vs some other country kind of Olympics style. The few times I've done this involved a good buzz as a prerequisite

#23 4 years ago

I like to see who is the better player.

#24 4 years ago

Yeah, but I keep losing. Damn me!

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from Adydar:

Going with touched as well...
I mainly don't do this because with my luck, I'd have 2 back to back best ball ever games, but they'd be on 2 different players.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from flecom:

dude... ...
...dude...
really?
not sure if serious

Totally serious. But I guess it's not just pinball I do this with either now that I'm thinking about it.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

This is what happens when noone gives a crap about your(read my) pinball hobby. I think its a great way to cope. I may try it one day. I especially like the idea of not even being anyone playing lol. Excellent. My alter ego's will definitely need names though for the complete package.
What would be grounds for disqualifying yourself? Also would you kick yourself out of your own house for getting too roudy?
What kind of prizes should be awarded?

There are prizes for highest score, most jumps (No Fear) or ramp shots. Winning a tournament or achieving the high score gets you an automatic berth in the next tournaments - which are typically double elimination. Double elimination makes for exciting storylines - revenge, redemption, goats and heroes.

Like for example, here's some completed brackets from my slot machine tournaments. I (the real me) beat Maude in round one, but she swept the loser's bracket and met me in the finals. She had to beat me twice to win since I had not yet lost. Beat me with a Triple Diamond Jackpot on her last spin! Epic win and a feel good moment for the wheelchair bound, oxygen tank inhaling, Maude.

20150311_202049.jpg
#29 4 years ago

This may be the greatest thread in the history of pinside.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Or am I just a bit touched in the head?

Nailed it!

Edit.....although you just might be on to something here.

#31 4 years ago

When I was a kid when I played golf by myself I would play 2 balls , one would be johnny miller and the other jack Nicklaus , had lots of great matches. I would play different styles for each one , one safe and the other one swing hard and go for the flags . Fun . But doing the same thing in pinball .....never

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

There are prizes for highest score, most jumps (No Fear) or ramp shots. Winning a tournament or achieving the high score gets you an automatic berth in the next tournaments - which are typically double elimination. Double elimination makes for exciting storylines - revenge, redemption, goats and heroes.
Like for example, here's some completed brackets from my slot machine tournaments. I (the real me) beat Maude in round one, but she swept the loser's bracket and met me in the finals. She had to beat me twice to win since I had not yet lost. Beat me with a Triple Diamond Jackpot on her last spin! Epic win and a feel good moment for the wheelchair bound, oxygen tank inhaling, Maude.

20150311_202049.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Is she hot though, any 'reach arounds'? Scratch that, do not want to know. Carry on.

#33 4 years ago

I used to but I would always kick my own ass. I tend to be very competitive so I stopped

#34 4 years ago

Sometimes I will play a four player game and use a different strategy for each player, to see which one scores better. Example on Metallica:Player one only goes for Sparky, Player 2 only goes for Hurry ups, Player 3 only goes for Graveyard, Player 4 only shoots for CIU.

2 months later
#35 4 years ago

While playing on location, I will play 4 games at once. This allows me to win multiple replays while the score is low. Once I push it up, I start playing one at a time to allow it to come down. If you plan on being there for a long time, you need some strategy! At home, I just play solo games...

2 weeks later
#36 4 years ago

Not to be rude but are you a high functioning autist? Serious question.

I sometimes play four player games by myself and try to archieve a minimum score on all four players to get more consistent or compare different strategies. I don't make other people up, though.

#37 4 years ago

I play with myself all the time

#38 4 years ago

Seems like every show I go to, there's always several people who decide to play 2 or 4 player games all by themselves and occupy certain machines longer while people patiently waiting are left with no other recourse than to walk away or wait for an exceptionally longer period of time than is reasonable or considerate. I often wish the anonymous farting machines that walk around would blow off their gas in the presence of these people.

To answer the original question with more specificity, yes, I have played 2 player games against myself in a similar fashion POMC, and I can completely relate to certain personalities emerging between the players I am controlling...

#39 4 years ago

Not tournaments but I play 4 player games by myself all the time. That way I can get the feel and risk shots.....heck I do it just so I can say to my wife "Yeah I'll stop after this game". Little does she know "this game" is 12 balls long.....ha

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 15.00
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Funhouse Custom Lamp Out of stock
Professor Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 2.50
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
$ 134.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 45.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 14.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 259.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 800.00
Playfields
Pinball Playfields
$ 229.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 95.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 89.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside