6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 55 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by johnc714
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSC06107.JPG
    game_&_bed_room.jpg
    foldout-murphy-bed.jpg
    image.jpg

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

Am I the only person living in a small condo that doesn't have room for a pin?
    I've already decided I'm going to by one, so just have to find where to put it.
    (Being married, I'm not able to throw it in the living room like the old days)
    So...
    have any of you rented out a small office space or anything similar where you can play your pins?
    And please, don't help me find a huge spot that'll fit many machines or I'll be broke trying to fill it!
    And no... I'm not leaving it at your house either.
    Help!

#2 6 years ago

I never thought about renting a place to put pins, interesting...

#3 6 years ago

If you don't have games in the kitchen you are doing it wrong.

Seriously, not everyone is crazy but I think renting space just for a pin is kind of. Even in a small condo you have a spare/utility room right? Or a garage maybe?

edit: BTW, I have two games in the kitchen.

#4 6 years ago

I know a lot of bands use storage facilities to practice and make noise. Not sure how much a month it is, but if you have a bunch of pins you're working on, play, or rebuild regularly as a business then I think 60/month or so would be worth it.

#5 6 years ago

$60 a month? I'm surely living in the wrong part of the country. $60 a month won't get you a closet here

#6 6 years ago

Back when I needed one, I couldn't even rent a storage closet for $60 a month!

------
    Just posted and then saw this:

Quoted from the_pin_family:

$60 a month won't get you a closet here

Great minds think alike!

#7 6 years ago

Sounds to expensive for office space. Piss your wife off renting it and then leaving all the time to go play.You can fit one pinball in condo. Keep buttering her up. Good Luck!!

#8 6 years ago

You know those pulley systems that allow you to store bicycles near the ceiling of a garage???

#9 6 years ago

I live in a one bedroom apartment with two pins. I could probably cram a third in here if I tried. image.jpg

#10 6 years ago

I think someone needs to build a murphy pin

foldout-murphy-bed.jpg

#11 6 years ago

Get rid of the dinning room table. Nobody uses that dumb thing anyways. Eat at an island in the kitchen or on your lap in front of the TV.

Whenever the holidays come around when all of the family is supposed to visit just take them all out to dinner and pick up the tab. You will look like a high roller and you will still save money compared to renting a space. Also you get to actually enjoy your pin(s) at your house when you want them instead of having to travel.

I currently have two in my dinning room and three games (two pins and a multicade) in my living room.

The bigger problem is the noise they make not the space they take up.

#12 6 years ago

you guys are hilarious. You have no idea how often I've glared at our dining room table lately. (It's my new arch-nemesis)
    What we really need is for Stern to invent the murphy-pinball machine!

#13 6 years ago

I agree about the noise. I live in an apartment complex so I keep it against a wall where there is no neighbor...but I still have neighbors above me.

Haven't heard any complaints yet though

#14 6 years ago

You need to commit! I had 6 in my one-bedroom, 550 sq ft apartment. 3 in the bedroom, 3 in the living room. No couch, no TV, excess junk furniture moved to the deck, and most importantly, no wife.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

most importantly, no wife.

I was with you up to that point!

#16 6 years ago

To be fair, Shadow was in the vertical, storage position at the time.

game_&_bed_room.jpg

#17 6 years ago

Thanks to this thread, I want to move out of my parents' house.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

DONT DO IT!

#19 6 years ago

OK, besides paying rent, explain why I shouldn't.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

Paying for everything else in addition to rent.
    A man has to strike out on his own sometime. Being broke was well worth the freedom for me. (20+ years ago.)

To the OP: We make room for things we want in life.

#21 6 years ago

I think you compromise, and move to a larger place.

#22 6 years ago

Ive always thought a carousel built into the wall with platforms for each pin would be interesting, just press a button to rotate through your stock.

#23 6 years ago

Pinball Machine in a condo? Your neighbors will love hearing you play at night!

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

A high school friend of mine lived with his parents till he was 28, he then bought a condo with another friend, asshat won the lottery 2 months later! 11mill.....Follow that path my friend!

1 week later
    #25 6 years ago

VICTORY!!!

DSC06107.JPG

#26 6 years ago

I guess that old saying is true - where there is a will, there is a way.

#27 6 years ago

Way to go! The problem you will have is pinball machines are like rabbits. They will start reproducing.

#28 6 years ago

and i thought i didnt have enough room with my basement that has 20 in it lol

#29 6 years ago

acdc night time lullabies, lol
    sleep tight

#30 6 years ago

Looks mighty cozy, there!

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

Am I the only person living in a small condo that doesn't have room for a pin?
    I've already decided I'm going to by one, so just have to find where to put it.
    So...
    have any of you rented out a small office space or anything similar where you can play your pins?
    And please, don't help me find a huge spot that'll fit many machines or I'll be broke trying to fill it!
    And no... I'm not leaving it at your house either.
    Help!

I was just dreaming last night on how I could rearrange my two machines in my spare bedroom now that my DK multicade is on its way. I'm thinking of just putting the multicade (and Xbox) in the master BR, then I MIGHT be able to get 5 pins in the spare. We have 2 other spare guest BR, but I just can't do it... S##T!!! You guys weren't kidding about these things multiplying ! LOL

#32 6 years ago

I live in a condo and I'm moving pins number two and three into the spare room today. I had one over at a bar near here in their "green room" where there are a few pinheads and we'd tool on it (a Xenon) occasionally but the rate of progress was so slow I opted to move it into a place where I actually have a key. Sounds crazy, I know. Anyway, I've never had any complaints about noise but I'm also fairly paranoid about it and won't play after nine o'clock or so. Which is a shame because coming home all blasted and playing pinball would be awesome.

But then it's just me there and having a spare room with pinball parts and tools spread across every flat surface is a-ok. I can see where that would most certainly not be the case with a wife or girlfriend.

#33 6 years ago

Now all you need to do is get a smaller bed and place another pin on the other side. Kind of like night stands.

#34 6 years ago

I bet you can fit a twin mattress on the floor underneath a row of pins

#35 6 years ago

Are you familiar with the Pinball Cafe in Toronto @ 1662 Queen St. West? They have a few pins to quench the thirst.

http://thepinballcafe.com/play/pinball/

... and there's the Toronto Pinball League (TOPL.org). They play all over the GTA+, every week. I'm hosting again this Dec. 17th.

#36 6 years ago

I just rented some storage to put everything that ISN'T a pin. Not like I need any of that crap anyway.

#37 6 years ago

Don't bother putting stuff in storage, just sell it or give it away.

I can't believe all of the stuff I see people put in storage units for long term. Most of the time they could have thrown it all out and bought new a still saved money compared to all of the money they spent on storage.

I get it for short term storage if you are moving, but for long term, I just don't get it.

#38 6 years ago

Deserving of the "wow factor"!

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from mg81:

Don't bother putting stuff in storage, just sell it or give it away.
    I can't believe all of the stuff I see people put in storage units for long term. Most of the time they could have thrown it all out and bought new a still saved money compared to all of the money they spent on storage.

Or sell all the stuff and use the money for more pinball machines!!!!

#40 6 years ago

I'm sure you could get another game on the other side, like 2 matching night stands.

#41 6 years ago

Switch to a hammock and add three more pins!

#42 6 years ago

A friend of mine ran out of room.... so he decided to open a pinball store. He's never there to keep it open... so... it's more of a 500 dollar a month rent bill to store pins, lol.

He had planned on just having a cover charge and leaving all the games on free play, but the localities wanted him to pay over 700 per machine for the year... so much for that idea.

#43 6 years ago

Yah man. I have an apartment as well. Its a townhouse layout with 2 floors. I have 3 pins upstairs in the guest bedroom, and 3 downstairs (1 cocktail / coffee table).

Sad thing is that when assessing places to live I said to myself I need to have a place to put my machines as if they were the #1 priority. Kind of like when buying a vehicle. You dont worry about comfort, you dont worry about options, you worry about gas milage, and whether you can get a pin in there. We pinball collectors are a rare / sick breed

#44 6 years ago

Space is ALWAYS an issue. Another location is good, it beats a storage unit with machines folded up. You buy them to play. If it fits the budget...do it! You won't regret it I assure you.

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

If you have saved some money to get started, get the hell out! Assuming you have graduated college and have a secure job. I left for college at 17 and never went home. Moved right from my dorm to my apartment, then bought my first little shit hole house, got married, redid the house, sold it for a profit, moved to my current home in 1999 and never looked back. Living at home is fine, but after college ya gotta go and be a productive member of society. Not to mention an apartment with a couple of pins is a chick magnet and soon the glass will be broken in........ Unlike in the basement of your parents house......

#46 6 years ago

Solution Solved!

1) Get rid of double bed
    2) Replace with 2 pinball machines (take legs off)
    3) lay mattress on top of them

You now have a pair of solid twins

Use backbox as headboard

Use speaker grills for alarm clock radio hook up.

OH! nearly forgot plug them in for electric under heated blanket! haha!

#47 6 years ago

I thought you meant space for the Transformers "PIN" monstrosity!

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

So...

I've been married 8 years now. After asking the wife if she would prefer the living room or the bedroom for my first pin, she decided immediately that she would rather have sound sleep at night...

#49 6 years ago

Well let's go with the obvious:

a) If you have any form of eat in kitchen, the dining room should become your game room.
    b) If you have a living room AND a family room, one of them should also become your game room
    c) Any spare bedrooms? They should be a game room. Guests can sleep under the pins.
    d) Garage? It should double as a work space, and a game room
    e) Kids bedroom? What kid would decline a pinball machine or two in their room?
    f) Office? Every office requires a way to blow off steam. Pin.
    g) Front hall? useless blank space... another place for a Pin.

The problem is when all those options are filled, then you have to get creative, and you'll start pondering the possibility of enclosing the porch, or expanding a room (adding value to your house rather than throwing it away on monthly rental space.

#50 6 years ago

You guys all sound like Homer in the Simpsons episode "Flaming Moe" or whatever it was called -with Aerosmith. When Homer goes mad and everything that anyone says all sounds like "Moe... Moe... Moe...", cept you're all saying "Pin...Pin...Pin".
    The sad thing is, I would tend to agree with most of you.
    The pin in our bedroom really doesn't do much esthetically, but it's awesome to have. When I got home after work, my wife said: Did you want to play a few games?
    LOVE it! She's up to 40,000,000 on AC/DC and has only played over 3 days. Still trying to grab the concept of trapping/controlling the ball.
    I, on the other hand, and already trying to decide which pin I want next. Aside from no space, biggest problem is that once you own AC/DC, many of the other pins look boring.
    Tomorrow is my first Saturday with a pin. I doubt it will be long before the day's over.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 84.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 47.00
    $ 12.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Haus
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.00
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    € 27.00
    Cabinet - Other
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    € 59.80
    Lighting - Backbox
    Freddys Pinball Paradise
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    $ 26.50
    $ 229.99
    $ 29.99
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Displays
    GermanGamingSupplies.com
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside