(Topic ID: 108507)

Anyone else hear that LOTR was the next Vault?

By Benepinballs

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg
Sold my TZ 008.JPG
LOTR,HUO,.jpg
LOTR, HUO.jpg
image-765.jpg
hqdefault.jpg
72285.jpg
pinball2.jpg
image-8-128.jpg
image-140.jpg
this thread could use some tits.jpg
The-great-405.jpg
marble maze game.JPG
stern.jpg
Gnomes_plan.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider usandthem.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#433 9 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

Well we're both right, they were meant to make money for operators and be played by us, without us, no money. Losing money on a game right when it is shipped brand new is no different than damn near any other product out there. I think Teekee got used to flipping games for thousands without any extra work and now the market is coming back to earth and to him we are all idiots for buying remakes of games we love.
Also that used to be what games were made for (the operators) but that was 10 years ago, now they have to deal with the home market so the definition has changed a bit and thats why manufacturers target home buyers and ops.

Excellent post. I am basically opposed to remakes because I think it's lazy and that it ultimately will hurt the manufacturers. The only reason why people spend between $4500 (pro) or 8K (LE) for a pin is because although it will most likely drop some, it will probably not drop thousands. With the exception of the few super rich pinheads out there, no one can lose thousands on a pinball machine. That's what remakes are going to cause to happen and that will cause people to take pause on future NIB purchases.

On the other hand, flippers like Teekee hate remakes too for the reasons that you stated very well. And if remakes reduce flipping, it's hard to be opposed to them.

#441 9 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I just think this is fundamentally wrong for many pinheads....
I don't spend 4-8K on pinball based on some internal calculation of depreciation...
I know its been said before, but you never lose a penny on a machine unless you sell it.
I probably lost $2K-$3K ONE MINUTE after I took ownership of my last car... oh no!!! I didnt care, not becuase Im "super rich" (Im not), but because I bought that car to DRIVE. I buy pinball to play pinball.
So maybe im in the minority, but your statement inferred EVERYONE but the super-rich are infatuated with resale value- thats not true.

Fair enough, but the thing that has supported the high initial price (NIB) of pinball machines is the expectation that it would not drop several thousand after the purchase. Take that assuredness away and it could be curtains for the pin companies, especially if they need to charge so much money to make money on a new pin.

A car is a bit different. Most people have to have one. And even with cars, you can go used and lose less (similar to a pin purchase, I suppose).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 18.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.95
Pinball Life

$ 12.95
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider usandthem.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-else-hear-that-lotr-was-the-next-vault?tu=usandthem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.