(Topic ID: 108507)

Anyone else hear that LOTR was the next Vault?

By Benepinballs

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg
Sold my TZ 008.JPG
LOTR,HUO,.jpg
LOTR, HUO.jpg
image-765.jpg
hqdefault.jpg
72285.jpg
pinball2.jpg
image-8-128.jpg
image-140.jpg
this thread could use some tits.jpg
The-great-405.jpg
marble maze game.JPG
stern.jpg
Gnomes_plan.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lowepg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#147 9 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

This is a golden title for them they know they will sell. The real question is will these come out now along side with hobbit.... Right now would ultimately make the most sense for them to fully capitalize on a LOTR VE... But with the huge success of Walking Dead etc they can hold out on LOTR & when they need to generate revenue if they put out a dog they can just have this title as a go to game. It's not a matter of IF a LOTR VE come out it's WHEN... So to all of you that want a LOTR VE it's only a matter of time... But is that time now ?!

I cant imagine a BETTER time to capitalize on LOTR VE than right NOW... or actually, right at the next movie release whenm presumably:
1. Middle Earth hype is at an all-time high
2. JJP send out their first message about supplier problems and slipping delivery schedules...

Dont underestimate Stern enjoying the ability to poke JJP in the eye after all Jack's badmouthing.

Imagine this sales pitch:

"
Excited about The latest Middle Earth movie?
Excited about continuing the experience in your very own game room?
Disappointed to may have to wait 1-18 months to get your JJP pre-paid machine?
Worried about how that Smaug really is going to look?
Well, worry no longer- we've got a deal for you!!!!
Refund your JJP money, order a NIB, refreshed LOTR and it'll be in your gameroom by the end of the week!
Oh.... and you can put the extra $3K difference in price back in the bank!

#164 9 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

It makes me concerned for innovation if people can just rehash the same game over and over..

I think you have it backwards.

The current lack of inspiring pinball is what makes people desire 10 and 20 year old games more so than some of these new ones.

People willing to pay $8k for MMr, for example, is an indictment of current pinball, not MMr.

#267 9 years ago
Quoted from starfighter:

Hmmm...

opportunity to kick JJP in the sack - check

Depending on the VE release date, price and also JJPs ability (or inability) to meet deadlines:

This could potentially do a lot more than bruise their nutsack, it could be a knock-out punch for the whole company.

I highly doubt JJP (or any startup) could withstand a title flopping.

Now, JJP can certainly have a lot to say about this: if their next reveal of TH addresses some of the recent criticism and starts to win back interest- well maybe they could survive this kind of competition...

Also, if it looks like they can actually get machines running out the door at a reasonable pace- that would also help....

#270 9 years ago
Quoted from Hawkeyepin:

Baloney. They rejected price inflated routed crapsters that got spitshined by sellers thinking they made bank because "well one sold on the ebay for 8k so now mine's worth that!!!!!!!!!". They rejected seller's rationale of how they should pay an INCREASED amount for a 20 year old game because it came from back in the day. This new wave of remakes is A W E S O M E for buyers. The resultant crash in the old guard grail pins crushes the collectible/mint upcharges. This is a terrible time for sellers who bought the high end pins within the last few years IF they believed they would get their money back.
By the way - what do you mean by "unknown cost reduced NIB model"? I assume you mean you suspect it is cost reduced compared to an original but you don't know for sure.

I agree with some of this...

But the price-inflating speculators (who have the most to lose) have no one to blame but themselves....

As Stern sees the resale market for old titles exceeding the old NIB price, they will obviously start running the numbers on re-issues and remakes.

Folks should get used to pins coming out of the vault at Stern.... i think their new model will be:
2 new titles a year
1-2 vault re-issues
1 (maybe) assembly project for a parner (ie MMr, MMr, AFMr, etc)

#286 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

What are you basing that on? I can't think of any pre-Stern (meaning Data East/Sega) game that has any real demand. Now maybe old school Stern, like early solid state stuff ...

DE Star Wars?

Might be some interest with the new movie coming out in 2015....

Plus, I hear if you get it autgraphed, the value can skyrocket!

#310 9 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Why would anyone pay 6k for a Ve when you can get a HUO mint one for 5k?..

1. Many people WOULD pay this.... brand new (updated?) vs 11 yrs old? And what if its $5500? Who knows exactly what they might include and/or price it at.

2. Not everyone in the target market is sifting through pinside for deals... Stern cant mass market a bunch of used games... they certainly can new ones rolling off the assembly line.

All things being equal, Id think there were other titles ahead of LOTR, however the imminent movie release changes the playing field. Also, the ability to knock one of JJPs legs out from under them (or potentially put them out of business) is another intangible....

Hell, Stern might decide to use this re-release to put JJP under. What if they released it at $4900? Think there'd be some buyers?

A short term cut in their GP on the game could be seen as a reasonable investment to bury JJP.

#313 9 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

What i meant is stern would want to release it around hobbit pin release. Jjp dictates release of that pin

Not really.

JJP's release of the pin is dictated by the contract they have re: the license.

And, Stern would want to release the pin to gain maximum hype from the MOVIE, not the release date of TH pinball.

Stern could decide to release LOTR VE a month or two prior while all those trailers are running and tv ads playing for the upcoming movie.... AND, they have the ability to get them out into the market MUCH faster!

So, while JJP is struggling to get a dozen machines out by years end to meet their contractual agreement, Stern could have hundreds already enroute to customers....

#435 9 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

The only reason why people spend between $4500 (pro) or 8K (LE) for a pin is because although it will most likely drop some, it will probably not drop thousands.

I just think this is fundamentally wrong for many pinheads....

I don't spend 4-8K on pinball based on some internal calculation of depreciation...

I know its been said before, but you never lose a penny on a machine unless you sell it.

I probably lost $2K-$3K ONE MINUTE after I took ownership of my last car... oh no!!! I didnt care, not becuase Im "super rich" (Im not), but because I bought that car to DRIVE. I buy pinball to play pinball.

So maybe im in the minority, but your statement inferred EVERYONE but the super-rich are infatuated with resale value- thats not true.

#477 9 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

I agree, pinball has a stagnant customer base, and that's why I I'm relying on the boutique manufacturers to be innovative to expand the customer base,

You really think the boutique manufacturers are going to expand the base?

So a lot of folks new to pinball are going to deal with the pre-pay/preorder fiasco from JJP?
Or could even FIND information about Predator from SkitB?

Id say the boutiques are exactly the opposite, more geared towards the ultimate pinball insiders- NOT the faint-hearted!

#494 9 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

The only boutique game I know that reached that limit is Predator, with 250 preorders and a waiting list.

What's this predator game you speak of?

Can you provide a link?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lowepg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-else-hear-that-lotr-was-the-next-vault?tu=lowepg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.