(Topic ID: 108507)

Anyone else hear that LOTR was the next Vault?

By Benepinballs

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg
Sold my TZ 008.JPG
LOTR,HUO,.jpg
LOTR, HUO.jpg
image-765.jpg
hqdefault.jpg
72285.jpg
pinball2.jpg
image-8-128.jpg
image-140.jpg
this thread could use some tits.jpg
The-great-405.jpg
marble maze game.JPG
stern.jpg
Gnomes_plan.png
There are 569 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 12.
#251 9 years ago

Wine and beer. First time in a week that I've been well enough to drink, and I went overboard. Very nice to breathe again tho.

#252 9 years ago

I had a sinus infection a couple weeks ago. Smoked a cigar when I felt 100%

#253 9 years ago

From my trip to Toronto a few months ago - my first time playing Strange World! image-140.jpgimage-140.jpg.

Post edited by swampfire: Keeping it classy (ish)

#254 9 years ago

not happening. nice try though. I.M. is the farthest back any vault edit will go. the reason I.M. was made a vault is because of the initial low production run.

#255 9 years ago
Quoted from silver_spinner:

not happening. nice try though. I.M. is the farthest back any vault edit will go. the reason I.M. was made a vault is because of the initial low production run.

and they had a heap of unused parts lying around from the first run. I think you might be right.

#256 9 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

and they had a heap of unused parts lying around from the first run. I think you might be right.

They may or may not have had spare parts....regardless, it's a CHEAP pin to build. Easy money.

#257 9 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

And the prices will never be competitive with Stern pros.

Predator was ($4,750)
Wait until Heighway pinball releases its second machine, sold as a kit for less than $4k.

Quoted from phishrace:

The boutique builders are going after the home buyers. Taking advantage of pinball's recent popularity to make some quick cash.

Hilarious. You think Ben Heck bought a private jet?... From what I know Antonio Ortuno (Quetzal Pinball) did not even break even with 14 pinball produced. And these 14 pins will certainly hurt the hobby a lot, I presume?

Quoted from phishrace:

Well, the joke is on them. The home market is near saturation. These companies will be dropping like flies soon.

Some might - but the boutique pins which have very low overhead costs may actually resist better than one with a large factory to maintain.

Not bashing stern by the way. But stating boutique pins will kill the Hobby does not make sense.

#258 9 years ago

Hmmm...

factory line ready - check
experienced workers - check
parts - check
cases of light sockets to use up - check
relationship with license holder - check
license a phone call away - check
easy run dropped in between upcoming pins - check
public demand - check
middle earth hype frenzy peaking - check
opportunity to kick JJP in the sack - check

#259 9 years ago
Quoted from starfighter:

Hmmm...
license a phone call away - check

I'm not convinced the license is a phone call away. I hope so but Tolkien's estate is very stingy with every license they provide. Being they had it once before I am sure that will go a long way. Then there is New Line Cinema to deal with also I would imagine with all of the actors on the artwork and voice overs. I am no expert but I would think the license poses some challenges.

#260 9 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

I'm not convinced the license is a phone call away. I hope so but Tolkien's estate is very stingy with every license they provide. Being they had it once before I am sure that will go a long way. Then there is New Line Cinema to deal with also I would imagine with all of the actors on the artwork and voice overs. I am no expert but I would think the license poses some challenges.

It was twice approved, a pin the estate is proud of, easy decision when at the end of the line is more revenues... But, has Jersey Jack negotiated all things Tolkien/pinball during their launch??

#261 9 years ago
Quoted from Animal:

It was twice approved, a pin the estate is proud of, easy decision when at the end of the line is more revenues... But, has Jersey Jack negotiated all things Tolkien/pinball during their launch??

My studio works with a dozen or so licensors. I can tell you with absolute certainty that when you make a licensor good money they are very willing to work with you.

#262 9 years ago
Quoted from Animal:

But, has Jersey Jack negotiated all things Tolkien/pinball during their launch??

Might have been during their lunch.

#263 9 years ago

Look at all the tolkien/middle earth video games that come out. There is no way renewing a license for an existing and previously approved game would be the show stopper. It's basically just a matter of cutting a check. Even $50 or $100k would be nothing when there are a couple million bucks to be made running 300-400 games.

#264 9 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Predator was ($4,750)
Wait until Heighway pinball releases its second machine, sold as a kit for less than $4k.

Have any Predators shipped? I haven't seen any near me. I'm actually rooting for Heighway, but they're late for the party, like all the rest.

Quoted from jlm33:

Hilarious. You think Ben Heck bought a private jet?... From what I know Antonio Ortuno (Quetzal Pinball) did not even break even with 14 pinball produced. And these 14 pins will certainly hurt the hobby a lot, I presume?

Many of these guys are doing it for their ego. That's pretty obvious. If you can't win PAPA, saying you run a pinball company or design pinball machines is a close second.

Quoted from jlm33:

But stating boutique pins will kill the Hobby does not make sense.

I never said boutique games will kill the hobby. They're more of a brief distraction.

#265 9 years ago

It'd stir up a ton of shit between JJP and Stern if they announced LOTR as hobbit was rolling out the doors.

I'd say a lot more people would want tron since those are harder to come by

#266 9 years ago

Did someone email jack yet to see if he wrote in his contract with the lotr people about exclusive rights?

#267 9 years ago
Quoted from starfighter:

Hmmm...

opportunity to kick JJP in the sack - check

Depending on the VE release date, price and also JJPs ability (or inability) to meet deadlines:

This could potentially do a lot more than bruise their nutsack, it could be a knock-out punch for the whole company.

I highly doubt JJP (or any startup) could withstand a title flopping.

Now, JJP can certainly have a lot to say about this: if their next reveal of TH addresses some of the recent criticism and starts to win back interest- well maybe they could survive this kind of competition...

Also, if it looks like they can actually get machines running out the door at a reasonable pace- that would also help....

#268 9 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Did someone email jack yet to see if he wrote in his contract with the lotr people about exclusive rights?

He has the rights to The Hobbit, not LOTR. They're two different movie franchises…in terms of licensing, one has nothing to do with the other.

#269 9 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

But there seems to be trend where people are turning their noses up at well maintained to happily pay a premium for the "NIB experience".
I don't see the rationale, but multiple members have remarked along the lines of $5500 is too much for a "used" game (that is demonstrated to be issue free) but they would roll the dice on an an unknown cost reduced NIB model for $1K more.
Makes as much sense as other aspects of this hobby

Baloney. They rejected price inflated routed crapsters that got spitshined by sellers thinking they made bank because "well one sold on the ebay for 8k so now mine's worth that!!!!!!!!!". They rejected seller's rationale of how they should pay an INCREASED amount for a 20 year old game because it came from back in the day. This new wave of remakes is A W E S O M E for buyers. The resultant crash in the old guard grail pins crushes the collectible/mint upcharges. This is a terrible time for sellers who bought the high end pins within the last few years IF they believed they would get their money back.
By the way - what do you mean by "unknown cost reduced NIB model"? I assume you mean you suspect it is cost reduced compared to an original but you don't know for sure.

#270 9 years ago
Quoted from Hawkeyepin:

Baloney. They rejected price inflated routed crapsters that got spitshined by sellers thinking they made bank because "well one sold on the ebay for 8k so now mine's worth that!!!!!!!!!". They rejected seller's rationale of how they should pay an INCREASED amount for a 20 year old game because it came from back in the day. This new wave of remakes is A W E S O M E for buyers. The resultant crash in the old guard grail pins crushes the collectible/mint upcharges. This is a terrible time for sellers who bought the high end pins within the last few years IF they believed they would get their money back.
By the way - what do you mean by "unknown cost reduced NIB model"? I assume you mean you suspect it is cost reduced compared to an original but you don't know for sure.

I agree with some of this...

But the price-inflating speculators (who have the most to lose) have no one to blame but themselves....

As Stern sees the resale market for old titles exceeding the old NIB price, they will obviously start running the numbers on re-issues and remakes.

Folks should get used to pins coming out of the vault at Stern.... i think their new model will be:
2 new titles a year
1-2 vault re-issues
1 (maybe) assembly project for a parner (ie MMr, MMr, AFMr, etc)

#271 9 years ago

I'd like that to happen so I can get a so so to decent shape LOTR for location

#272 9 years ago

Six pages so there must be something to the rumor right?

#273 9 years ago

The only thing that was confirmed so far is that All of a sudden a ton of LOTR parts are in stock at Stern which weren't their a few months ago. They are going to reach back farther than you think into the vault... perhaps beyond Stern titles, so they must have the whitestar conversion already solved.

#274 9 years ago
Quoted from Benepinballs:

They are going to reach back farther than you think into the vault... perhaps beyond Stern titles

What are you basing that on? I can't think of any pre-Stern (meaning Data East/Sega) game that has any real demand. Now maybe old school Stern, like early solid state stuff ...

#275 9 years ago

I really think the volume that could be sold on this title is enormous (in pinball terms of course). The IMVE had no real pick-ups over the original title. Better sound on this would mean a very large interest from those that have owned the title before. I have little interest in getting another LOTR in its current guise, but I am 100% in on a SAM ported version.

What if they skipped SAM altogether and ported it into the new system? Ooooh...

#276 9 years ago

beyond this thread, how many people have really heard this rumor?

#277 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

What are you basing that on? I can't think of any pre-Stern (meaning Data East/Sega) game that has any real demand. Now maybe old school Stern, like early solid state stuff ...

Try finding a pristine Data East 1991 Batman.

#278 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Maybe Tommy?

#279 9 years ago

Or a Back to the Future with the newly agreeable MJF allowing his likeness!

#280 9 years ago

I don't think many people will line up for D.E. Batman..but GNR is a maybe, but even that's a longshot.Sterns most popular titles were LOTR, TSPP and RBION. I highly doubt this thing will happen in any shape or form.

#281 9 years ago

GNR would sell big time but its widebody so very doubtful.

All would sell very well.

#282 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Now maybe old school Stern, like early solid state stuff ...

image-8-128.jpgimage-8-128.jpg
hqdefault.jpghqdefault.jpg
pinball2.jpgpinball2.jpg

And just like dick-beard, remaking it would continue the penis tradition, so it was meant to be.
72285.jpg72285.jpg

#283 9 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

What if they skipped SAM altogether and ported it into the new system? Ooooh...

Unless that was somehow cheaper or easier I can't see any real advantage, SAM should already have enough free memory to handle upgraded sounds. If they were to do such a thing.

Here's what I would see being a solid seller:

1. High rez decals, printed on the same metallic material as Iron Man VE and Mustang LE. Would make the gold really shine.

2. Would love to see better printing on the playfield too, but I don't know that the playfield printing has improved all that much.

3. Upgraded sound, on SAM or otherwise, so that we get clear samples and music.

4. New cabinet style with a speaker panel decal that matches the cabinet design.

#284 9 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I don't think many people will line up for D.E. Batman..but GNR is a maybe, but even that's a longshot.Sterns most popular titles were LOTR, TSPP and RBION. I highly doubt this thing will happe in any shape or form.

What about tron?

#285 9 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I don't think many people will line up for D.E. Batman..but GNR is a maybe, but even that's a longshot.Sterns most popular titles were LOTR, TSPP and RBION. I highly doubt this thing will happe in any shape or form.

D.E. Batman is somewhat rare. Around 3,500, almost all routed. Finding a pristine one is hard. There is a whole thread on Pinside about the difficulty in getting one.

Keaton's Batman has become somewhat of a classic with the passing of time. Kids that watched that movie in '89 are now well paid adults. Would be nice in a large collection, especially with LED's and higher sampling rate of the lifts.

#286 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

DE Star Wars?

Might be some interest with the new movie coming out in 2015....

Plus, I hear if you get it autgraphed, the value can skyrocket!

#287 9 years ago

DE Star Wars with the home rom added by default should be released during the ep7 hype,
(Stern advertized that home rom on their website so they know about its relevance).

#288 9 years ago
Quoted from HunchbackHodler:

DE Star Wars with the home rom added by default should be released during the ep7 hype,
(Stern advertized that home rom on their website so they know about its relevance).

Stern actually considers it an official release! No doubt a VE for Star Wars would include the new rules.

#289 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

GNR would sell big time but its widebody so very doubtful.

I disagree on RBION. A VE for that title would be a mistake.

GNR VE would definitely be a hot one!

#290 9 years ago

Looks like ACDCVE just got put on a 10-20yr hold.

#291 9 years ago
Quoted from Benepinballs:

They are going to reach back farther than you think into the vault... perhaps beyond Stern titles, so they must have the whitestar conversion already solved.

We know they had The Sopranos running on SAM back in early 2006, so porting to the new system is nothing new.

#292 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

We know they had The Sopranos running on SAM back in early 2006, so porting to the new system is nothing new.

IPBD:

A few games with the S.A.M. Board System were built and shipped overseas to test. At the end of testing, the games were shipped back to the U.S., converted to the Whitestar Board System, and sold.

Doesn't sound like a huge deal does it?

#293 9 years ago

How long do you think Stern will sell this if they pull the trigger? Iron Man VE is still being sold and that came out several months ago, right? I need some time to get my finances in order because this would be a very tempting purchase.

#294 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

It was developed simultaneously, not ported.

#295 9 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

How long do you think Stern will sell this if they pull the trigger? Iron Man VE is still being sold and that came out several months ago, right? I need some time to get my finances in order because this would be a very tempting purchase.

You'd think JJP would dictate this with their release of TH

#296 9 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

You'd think JJP would dictate this with their release of TH

JJP can't dictate anything. They have the license to make "The Hobbit: Motion Picture Trilogy" pinball machine. LOTR is a different license.

#297 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

JJP can't dictate anything. They have the license to make "The Hobbit: Motion Picture Trilogy" pinball machine. LOTR is a different license.

+1. JJP can't even dictate what Smaug does in the game, much less who gets to work with the LOTR license.

#298 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Would you buy if LOTRVE came true and it had upgraded sound and metallic decals @ $6k?

#299 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Not RBION. You can buy a HUO RBION for $3k. And there's not a lot of demand. Don't see that one selling well at all.

#300 9 years ago

Good point.
It has to be titles in high demand and that would sell at today's price.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 12.95
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 25.50
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
There are 569 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-else-hear-that-lotr-was-the-next-vault/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.