(Topic ID: 108507)

Anyone else hear that LOTR was the next Vault?

By Benepinballs

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg
Sold my TZ 008.JPG
LOTR,HUO,.jpg
LOTR, HUO.jpg
image-765.jpg
hqdefault.jpg
72285.jpg
pinball2.jpg
image-8-128.jpg
image-140.jpg
this thread could use some tits.jpg
The-great-405.jpg
marble maze game.JPG
stern.jpg
Gnomes_plan.png
There are 569 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 12.
#201 9 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

You overstate your importance IMO. A vast majority of pinball peeps I know actually play pinball.

You just don't get it IMO… who the hell cares why people buy pins? As long as they spend money in the hobby it doesn't matter.

If this hobby relied only on the 'player' Stern would have been long gone by now as well.

#202 9 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

You just don't get it IMO… who the hell cares why people buy pins? As long as they spend money in the hobby it doesn't matter.
If this hobby relied only on the 'player' Stern would have been long gone by now as well.

And how exactly are you helping pinball?

#203 9 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

You overstate your importance IMO. A vast majority of pinball peeps I know actually play pinball.

…and "collector" encompasses many types of buyers…not just "High End" restoration buyers or rare-game buyers.

I'm a collector…and almost all of my games could be sold for more than I paid for them. It's all good.

#204 9 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

I spent a ton and I mean of ton of money in this hobby over the years to help keep it moving forward. Spent tons with Stern, bought from others, helped others get into the hobby, helped others buy and sell pins, have had several pins restored with HEP… on and on and on.

Next Question?

#205 9 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

I spent a ton and I mean of ton of money in this hobby over the years to help keep it moving forward. Spent tons with Stern, bought from others, helped others get into the hobby, helped others buy and sell pins, have had several pins restored with HEP… on and on and on.
Next Question?

Just asking since you seem to have all the answers and the rest of us are just idiots.

#206 9 years ago

Without Teekee pinball cant survive.

#207 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Would be a good move. A lot of pre-order money was freed up when TH bombed at Expo. They could easily sell 300-500. I'd love to see an LOTR with high definition decals on the cabinet and as others have mentioned, they need to sell the decals directly. Would be interesting to see what CPU would be used - SAM or Whitestar.

LOTR was Whitestar with new sound chip. But I think that the chips used in Whitestar / that sound chip are long out of production. Also SAM is near the end as well but emulator system will work.

#208 9 years ago

Just asking since you seem to have all the answers and the rest of us are just idiots.

you're getting warmer!

Quoted from Plungemaster:

Without Teekee pinball cant survive.

you're even warmer… no pretty hot I would say!

#209 9 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

They're taking away money from companies that actually help grow the hobby, like Stern. Granted, none of them has taken much yet, and most will fail soon, but that ain't good for the hobby. If you're targeting only home buyers with expensive low run games, you're going for the money. Not trying to grow the hobby.

Taking money? Like from a baby? It's their fault for having a compelling product that a small demographic of customers want? They should do what with their dreams and ideas - Just go away?

There's a picture of innovation: get rid of indies and small companies.

I'm actually fine with that. You LE and premium buyers paid for Stern's new factory. Glad it's paid for as the home market is pretty much saturated now. (only 2 games a year from Stern, no premiums)

Would you like to see the hobby continue to grow, or is it all about you?

My money, so it's about me. Sorry if that seems selfish to you but pinball isn't a charity last I checked. In fact it's the opposite to me: a big waste of money on something that serves little purpose in my life except hobby-esque fun.

No confusion. My goal is to keep the overall hobby growing. Boutique games games only promote the collector side of the hobby, which has about reached it's peak. Remakes will continue to bring in new folks to the hobby on location.

See you are interested in furthering the "hobby" (as you put it) because for you, more players strengthens the industry as a whole where you clearly operate and make a livelihood (or some portion thereof).

I'm in this hobby to buy/fix/play compelling pinball - that's it, and the boutique guys are here to fill that demand. You're here to make money and try to preserve the industry (which is 100% ok as well for the record) - admittedly the boutique guys aren't here for you, but selling me a machine doesn't change a single thing in terms of damaging the industry because I wasn't going to operate a machine anyway. They aren't bad for anything except my pocketbook.

#210 9 years ago

Aside from helping form a group of people who collectively have spent $10's of thousands on machines and mods they otherwise wouldn't have on their own, I guess I've done nothing but inadvertently harm the industry since I don't operate machines and I support the indie developers...

oops...

#211 9 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Aside from helping form a group of people who collectively have spent $10's of thousands on machines and mods they otherwise wouldn't have on their own, I guess I've done nothing but inadvertently harm the industry since I don't operate machines and I support the indie developers...
oops...

Um ok... not sure why you're quoting me for a question I asked teekee.

#212 9 years ago

Um ok... not sure why you're quoting me for a question I asked teekee.

Because it's a public forum and I think your question is silly

#213 9 years ago

Because it's a public forum and I think your question is silly

Well it wasn't directed to you so I don't really care what you think.

#214 9 years ago

Well I think it's obvious that you don't care what Teekee thinks either, so what's your point?

#215 9 years ago

I like pinball!

#216 9 years ago

Tens of thousands is peanuts in the world of pinball.

#217 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Well I think it's obvious that you don't care what Teekee thinks either, so what's your point?

I think it was obvious what my point was, I wanted to hear what the great Teekee does for pinball since the rest of us are the reason that pinball is going in the shitter.

#218 9 years ago

I really prefer Teekee the great but that will do…

#219 9 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

I really prefer Teekee the great but that will do…

Sorry you're greatness

#220 9 years ago

There's no need for this in a hobby bash thread

#221 9 years ago

My money, so it's about me. Sorry if that seems selfish to you but pinball isn't a charity last I checked. In fact it's the opposite to me: a big waste of money on something that serves little purpose in my life except hobby-esque fun.

You didn't answer the question. Would you like to see the hobby continue to grow?

See you are interested in furthering the "hobby" (as you put it) because for you, more players strengthens the industry as a whole where you clearly operate and make a livelihood (or some portion thereof).

If you knew me, you'd know I don't operate games for the money. I've been around long enough to see pinball make more than one comeback. I'd like to see another one. So if that's selfish or greedy, then go ahead and call me greedy.

I do agree with you that it's a huge waste of time and money. But the same thing could be said about music or fine art. Wasting time is important in life. Think I'll go waste some time on WCS right now.

#222 9 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I think you have it backwards.
The current lack of inspiring pinball is what makes people desire 10 and 20 year old games more so than some of these new ones.

I think there's definitely some of this mixed in the whole situation.

Innovation takes money, something the pinball industry didn't really have tons of 10 years ago. Now that there's some money floating around, you can already see how the innovation has started to pick up again. It's just been in the past several years or so that LEDs gained widespread popularity. Just recently we saw the first production game with a LCD.

Competition is another driver of innovation. I believe competition was also lacking 10 years ago. It's a completely different story now.

I think we are just seeing the ramp up to some really cool shit. We haven't even begun to see what internet connectivity can bring to the table.

#223 9 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

You didn't answer the question. Would you like to see the hobby continue to grow?

Sorry, no I did not.

I wish it no ill will, but to be honest, I liked it better as a niche and substantially cheaper hobby. It's frankly at a level I can't participate in as much anymore. If growth introduces cheaper full featured machines then yes If growth is more machines at higher prices, then I don't care.

If you knew me, you'd know I don't operate games for the money. I've been around long enough to see pinball make more than one comeback. I'd like to see another one. So if that's selfish or greedy, then go ahead and call me greedy.

I 100% don't think you are greedy and I hope that didn't come across. Operating for money is the whole point of these machines back in the day, and no I'm sure you aren't operating "for the money". All I can offer is that I don't have the required time or energy to do it - my passion for pinball is expressed as a "collector", will only ever be express as a collector, and I don't understand why that is bad for the hobby. Maybe it's not as helpful, but it's good overall no?

I do agree with you that it's a huge waste of time and money. But the same thing could be said about music or fine art. Wasting time is important in life. Think I'll go waste some time on WCS right now.

100% agreed

#224 9 years ago

Oh sorry then, I didn't realize you thought you sent a PM...

#225 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

…and "collector" encompasses many types of buyers…not just "High End" restoration buyers or rare-game buyers.
I'm a collector…and almost all of my games could be sold for more than I paid for them. It's all good.

Yeah, I am too. But both of us actually play our pins and aren't speculators. When I sell my pins I make some money and I lose some money. In the end I don't lose too much and I really enjoy playing, as you know

I just have no compassion for speculators who grandstand because they can't make the profit they use to. Find another way to make money or get better at it. Don't cry when it's hard to turn a profit. Tekee was always smug when a untrained monkey could buy a nib stern and flip it a couple of months later for a handsome profit. Not so smug anymore and I have no compassion for his rants.

#226 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That fact that you actually keep track of that, with 25 pins, is .........organized? Spreadsheet?

#227 9 years ago

Oh sorry then, I didn't realize you thought you sent a PM...

Im sorry you thought that when I asked Teekee a question and obviously quoted a post of his that you actually thought it was directed at you, public forum or not.

#228 9 years ago

Im sorry you thought that when I asked Teekee a question and obviously quoted a post of his that you actually thought it was directed at you, public forum or not.

Not horrible, but a bit wordy don't you think?

On topic: Bring on LoTR Vault Edition for 5k!

/thread drained

#229 9 years ago

Not horrible, but a bit wordy don't you think?
On topic: Bring on LoTR Vault Edition for 5k!
/thread drained

Oh so now you resort to insulting my grammar, have fun with that, im up to giving two shits about it. I do agree with the second part of your post though. Lotr VE where do I sign up?

#230 9 years ago

I sold my lotr LE to a friend, I wouldn't mind getting another nib lotr.

#231 9 years ago

Thinking of getting out of DMDs altogether...f** the remakes, f** the boutiques, I love EVERYTHING up until this got stupid (around 1990).

#232 9 years ago

I love all of you guys, decided to put it here instead of starting a new thread.

#233 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

That fact that you actually keep track of that, with 25 pins, is .........organized? Spreadsheet?

I has a preadhseet and I'm not ashamed...lost 5% over 14 years . Oh noes. PS I am pretty drunkj for midweek.

#234 9 years ago

So, while we're back on topic.....

Underlord, do you have any inside knowledge? I'll take an educated guess as you've been spot on in the past.

#235 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I love EVERYTHING up until this got stupid (around 1990).
I know, thread eject...

I find this confusing. Looking at this statement in the conext of your collection this makes me even more confused (i.e. even if LOTR VE comes... that is the only other candidate I see?).

I have a HOU Iron Man and a HOU LoTR... that is about 25% of my collection that is potentially remade in the near future. Will they lose a bit of value? Yeah. Do I care that much? No. If being ahead of the game somehow makes me feel better, the NIB price will still be more than I paid for them. Wheee.

I have also had the priviledge of enjoying these games for several years. I am okay if that ends up costing me a bit of money here and there.

#236 9 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I find this confusing. Looking at this statement in the conext of your collection this makes me even more confused (i.e. even if LOTR VE comes... that is the only other candidate I see?).
I have a HOU Iron Man and a HOU LoTR... that is about 25% of my collection that is potentially remade in the near future. Will they lose a bit of value? Yeah. Do I care that much? No. If being ahead of the game somehow makes me feel better, the NIB price will still be more than I paid for them. Wheee.
I have also had the priviledge of enjoying these games for several years. I am okay if that ends up costing me a bit of money here and there.

Fuck yeah man.

#237 9 years ago

Don't listen to me, I like DMDs. I'm talking sh** right now. Just reaffirmed my marriage of 18 years and I'm definitely talking sh***. But I love my family, and that's all.

#238 9 years ago

shitty thread just got awesome!

#239 9 years ago

......This is a LOTR VE thread? Couldn't tell by reading the last page....

#240 9 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

or lack of intelligence…

I'd like a second opinion on this. I wonder what Teekeesuxcock has to say about this?

QSS

#241 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I don't keep track of it...but aside from NIB games, I bought most of my games from 2007-2011, and I know what I paid for them. I could sell any of them for more than I bought them for. For example, my Addams was $2400 ...I could surely sell it for $2400.99!!!

#242 9 years ago

Remember when we talked about lotr? That was awesome.....

#243 9 years ago
Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

Remember when we talked about lotr? That was awesome.....

What's there left to talk about? Nothing is announced, no one knows anything, so at a certain point you pass the "gee, that would be neat!" part.

#244 9 years ago

My father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate said he heard something about LOTR.

#245 9 years ago

Ba-dee ba-dee ba-dee. That's all folks!

The-great-405.jpgThe-great-405.jpg

#246 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

The Iron Man license was expired as well.

IM was also on the sam system boardset.

#247 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I don't keep track of it...but aside from NIB games, I bought most of my games from 2007-2011, and I know what I paid for them. I could sell any of them for more than I bought them for. For example, my Addams was $2400 ...I could surely sell it for $2400.99!!!

Me too, but I got in around 2002. I've never lost a dime on reselling my games...broke even once or twice, but I'm up pretty good right now overall. It's going to happen on MMr if I ever get it and sell it though. Don't plan on selling it though. Who doesn't keep track of what they paid for a machine??

#248 9 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Didn't they make Metallica, Mustang and Walking Dead this year? (and MMr)

No, Metallica was mid-2013. Mustang 1/2014, IM 7/2014, TWD 10/2014. MMr may start in 2014 but will likely not finish until 2015. That's 2 new games per year.

#249 9 years ago

People bitch about remakes and snub Mustang, which is a ton of fun IMHO.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 25.50
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 39.50
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

€ 7.50
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

There are 569 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-else-hear-that-lotr-was-the-next-vault/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.