Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 261 posts
  • 110 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled2 (resized).png
    Untitled (resized).png
    0B4B9B10-CDF2-42EF-9D3C-F9E86207D331 (resized).png
    Capture2 (resized).JPG
    1 (resized).jpg
    Flynn.jpg
    8AFF9E77-1836-46D7-A130-C942FECD0691 (resized).png
    80B1EDCE-E13B-4903-91E7-0878AADDB88F (resized).jpeg
    EC36C35F-4ACF-4C64-AE52-FF7B31AFE928 (resized).jpeg
    BED1F8A8-CD7D-4220-ABD4-6AE6881227C4 (resized).jpeg
    3F808629-7D0E-48BF-90F4-F73332CD10E1 (resized).jpeg
    877CF06A-CF93-46BF-8403-3B6875C6BEFB (resized).jpeg
    2020-08-21t23-53-03 (resized).png
    postal (resized).png
    Untitled (resized).png
    Untitled2 (resized).png

There are 261 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.
    #251 2 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

I thought I would update and say that after 17 days in holding, I did receive my part from the Netherlands.

The five ISC centers (created in 1996) are massive clearinghouse's only for goods in or out of the country. It was kind of an experiment in 'int'l procssing efficiency'. The incoming stuff all gets dumped into their processing bins, and then as time permits, clearances are checked and then these are dispatched to traditional regional distribution centers. I think it's fair to say the ISC is a huge bottleneck, and that waiting for inbound to become outbound through an ISC could easily take 2 weeks. The ISC sounded good on paper, but really hasn't benefitted anyone...

#252 2 years ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

The five ISC centers (created in 1996) are massive clearinghouse's only for goods in or out of the country. It was kind of an experiment in 'int'l procssing efficiency'. The incoming stuff all gets dumped into their processing bins, and then as time permits, clearances are checked and then these are dispatched to traditional regional distribution centers. I think it's fair to say the ISC is a huge bottleneck, and that waiting for inbound to become outbound through an ISC could easily take 2 weeks. The ISC sounded good on paper, but really hasn't benefitted anyone...

Thank you. I was wondering what it was and even my mail man did not know. I definitely can see the back up of parcels to and from..

#253 2 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

The lack of scanning is what looks me, why the hell have tracking as a feature if they don’t scan? F’ing stupid

They aren't scanning because that exposes the bottlenecks and the specific mail processing centers that are slacking. Also you have to wait like x number of days that it's late before you can file a complaint.

Think it's like 21 days for priority mail. Ridiculous since PM is more expensive. Sometimes cheaper 1st class mail arrives quicker depending on the size of the parcel.

#254 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball_Postal:

Sometimes cheaper 1st class mail arrives quicker depending on the size of the parcel.

This has been my experience the last 6 months. Everything I mail is in a 4x7x1/2" bubble mailer. If I put stamps on it, it was getting there 2-3 days faster than the same bubble mailer with tracking.

Once the USPS started losing my stamped mail, it forced my hand to go tracked mail for everything. Then they started losing my tracked mail, or simply not scanning my tracked mail at all. There really is no good answer here. I called my postmaster several times, and she sounded just as frustrated as myself.

#255 2 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

This has been my experience the last 6 months. Everything I mail is in a 4x7x1/2" bubble mailer. If I put stamps on it, it was getting there 2-3 days faster than the same bubble mailer with tracking.
    Once the USPS started losing my stamped mail, it forced my hand to go tracked mail for everything. Then they started losing my tracked mail, or simply not scanning my tracked mail at all. There really is no good answer here. I called my postmaster several times, and she sounded just as frustrated as myself.

Back during the Christmas meltdown, my local postmaster told me she wasn't scanning parcels unless we dropped them at the window and had her scan them. They had so many, they couldn't get the bins of parcels scanned in before the pickup time. If the bins of parcels were a minute late being ready, the truck was instructed to leave without them thanks to the new rules set forth by the postmaster general. I had some overseas first class parcels not scan a single time until they hit the destination country weeks later. I'm guessing that if the parcel was never scanned in at the original post office, it wouldn't automatically update at each sorting facility.

9 months later
    #256 1 year ago

Another nail in our dystopian future ... Starting Monday April 3 (no, this is not an April fools joke ...)

Non-standard fees

Additional fees will apply when package dimensions exceed USPS sortation specifications and require manual sorting. These fees will apply to Retail Ground, Priority Mail, Priority Mail Express, Parcel Select Ground, and First Class Package Service.

• Packages that exceed 22 inches but are not greater than 30 inches in length: Add $4.00 per package
    • Packages that exceed 30 inches in length: Add $15.00 per package
    • Packages that exceed 2 cubic feet (3,456 cubic inches): Add $15.00 per package
    A maximum of two non-standard fees may be assessed for a package.

Dimensional non-compliance fees

An additional $1.50 fee will apply to packages greater than 1 cubic foot (1,728 cubic inches) or 22 inches in length for Retail Ground, Priority Mail, Priority Mail Express, and Parcel Select Ground when:

• Dimensions provided are inaccurate
    • Dimensions are not provided

#257 1 year ago

I pretty much just use flat rate boxes when using USPS. Otherwise, I've been shipping UPS. I found a shipping label site goshippo.com a while back, and that offers much better rates than at the counter.

#258 1 year ago

Those oversized items fees are rough.

Unless you are shipping really heavy stuff, flat rate is usually not the best deal. They can be convenient though if you don't have a scale. Anything under 16oz ship first class(usually same ship time as priority), but you need your own box for first class. If the box is going to cost you more than dollar or two, just use priority and a free box.

Everyone that has a paypal account can ship stuff at a discount over retail pricing. No monthly fees or anything. Does not have to be attached to a specific paypal transaction. Can ship internationally too.

https://www.paypal.com/shiplabel/create/

As far as USPS service, it has been good for me and much improved. I ship quite a bit and not getting emails about "where is my package" like I was about a year or two ago. Maybe 1/1000 gets lost in transit, and if it does, it is usually international.

#259 1 year ago

I expect little to no impact.
    I almost never receive / ship packages that aren't light or are under the oversized package fees.
    That said; some people in the group buys might be shocked.

#260 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I pretty much just use flat rate boxes when using USPS. Otherwise, I've been shipping UPS. I found a shipping label site goshippo.com a while back, and that offers much better rates than at the counter.

GoShippo.com offers a "Parcel Select" rate through USPS which is NOT available to retail customers otherwise! That is how the save money, by offering the special PS rate as an aggregator for single packages: From the USPS bulletin site:
    “Parcel Select” is the registered trademark name for the Postal Service's economical ground delivery service for packages entered in bulk, including those entered at destination facilities. It is designed for and generally used by large- and medium-sized parcel shippers.

I have used it a number of times in the recent months and find it saves 30-40% or more over the rates you'll get from the USPS.COM website directly. I had a medium box, weighing 5-6 pounds going CA to AZ recently, USPS.com quoted $27 and goshippo quoted $14. GoSHippo takes 2 minutes to sign up for and is pretty easy to use. It generates a regular USPS label just like you would expect!

#261 1 year ago

Parcel Select is an option from PayPal shipping. I guess it depends on what you are shipping, but the stuff I ship I rarely see it as having better value than priority mail. Most the stuff I ship is 5oz to 4lb. When they get heavier than that, and depending on the zip, is parcel select cheaper. Sometimes it is cheaper by like 45 cents, but you don't get to use the free priority mail box.

Ohio to Arizona

2lb box
    Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

5lb box
    Untitled2 (resized).pngUntitled2 (resized).png

There are 261 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-else-having-problems-with-usps/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.