(Topic ID: 59201)

Anyone else having issues with Metallica slings?

By Kevin_LHeureux

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Are your slings overpowered causing air balls?”

• Yes, they are crazy strong and launch the ball all over the place. 23 votes
    72%
  • Nope. I'm one of the lucky ones who's never had the issue. 9 votes
    28%

(32 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

METLEMYSTERY.jpg
slings.jpg
METLEFUEL.jpg
METLESPOTS.jpg
IMG_14372.jpg
There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 10 years ago
Quoted from JoeinNJ:

I recieved an email from Pat P.(Stern) and he said the sling issue will be handled with the next update.

I just got my replacement wireform thanks to Chas. Now if we can just get that update all will be well (I hope).

#52 10 years ago

Yeah, I've stopped playing MET for now due to losing at least 1 ball per game to the RIGHT SLING OF DOOOOOM (tm) awaiting updated code less anxiously now that my ACDC cannon is fixed

#53 10 years ago

I picked up a NIB pro last week & the first thing I noticed was that the slings kick damn hard.
Hopefully Stern's fix really works cause I don't want to have to buy some lower powered replacement coils.

1 week later
#54 10 years ago
Quoted from conserx:

Hopefully Stern's fix really works cause I don't want to have to buy some lower powered replacement coils.

Maybe if we all start calling them for replacement coils, they will go ahead and fix the programming issue. Their current sense of urgency is not impressing me.

#55 10 years ago

I'm sick of it, The slingshot coils are just too powerful. The amount of airballs hitting the glass, Smashing the left sling spotlight or slamming into the the side of the cabinet then down the outlane is driving me nuts. Tired of waiting for a code update that may or may not solve the issue, Going to call & see if they will send me a couple of replacement coils. If a future code update solves the issue I'll just switch the original coils back in.

#56 10 years ago

I don't understand why they moved the slingshot coils from the 20V bus to the 50V bus. On S-M they used 23-800 coils on 20V, now they use 26-1200 on 50V for the slings.

According to the generic Stern manual, the 26-1200 coils are 10.3 ohms. To get to 14ish ohms you need to opt for either the 27-1300 (14.2 ohms) or 27-1400 (14.7 ohms). This is assuming that all these coils are physically the same height. Diodes may need to be added/deleted depending on the set-up.

#57 10 years ago

I may be in the minority, but in spite of the airballs I prefer the stronger coils. I hate when I'm playing Avatar and the ball gets lobbed back-and-forth between the slings 4-5 times, and then gracefully goes to the left outlane. On Metallica the slings are more likely to push the ball back up the playfield. I plan to try the 4-ohm inline resistor for the right sling.

#58 10 years ago

It took around 200 games for the sling rubbers to lose some elasticity which has helped tremendously. I now get no Right sling of doom hitting the spotlight and the left outlane/cabinet side.

#59 10 years ago

My black side mirrors look like they've been the backdrop at a shooting range. Just waiting on something to break. I've tried the soft setting on coils too.

#60 10 years ago
Quoted from jints56:

My black side mirrors look like they've been the backdrop at a shooting range. Just waiting on something to break. I've tried the soft setting on coils too.

Before I changed the coil setting to soft (about 6 weeks ago) I had to take the glass off about every 12 to 15 games to turn the flasher pole back around. No matter how tight the pole the ball was still knocking it around. About every 18 to 20 games the sling with kick the ball over the left metal ramp and hit the wood. The ball still currently seems to kick off the sling rather fast but I have not had to adjust the pole or remove a ball from the wood wall since the new setting on soft. I don't claim to understand it but so far it has been a major difference in my Metallica Pro.

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

I don't understand why they moved the slingshot coils from the 20V bus to the 50V bus. On S-M they used 23-800 coils on 20V, now they use 26-1200 on 50V for the slings.
According to the generic Stern manual, the 26-1200 coils are 10.3 ohms. To get to 14ish ohms you need to opt for either the 27-1300 (14.2 ohms) or 27-1400 (14.7 ohms). This is assuming that all these coils are physically the same height. Diodes may need to be added/deleted depending on the set-up.

I installed a pair of 27-1500 coils I had spare to both slings a couple of days ago, Can't say that has made any difference.

Like Schudel said the problem is that Stern moved the coils onto the 50v line.
I have Iron Man which uses 23-800 coils for the slings & they kick about half as hard as my Met does.

So starting with what game did Stern make the switch from 20v to 50v & why?

#62 10 years ago

I was told by Pat at Stern that there was an impending software update to fix the issue. That was well over a month ago. Just goes to show how much hot air those guys blow.

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from Kevin_LHeureux:

I was told by Pat at Stern that there was an impending software update to fix the issue. That was well over a month ago. Just goes to show how much hot air those guys blow.

I couldn't agree more, just give us a software update to specifically fix this issue, come on Stern, start taking care of these problems in a more timely manner.

#64 10 years ago
Quoted from Kevin_LHeureux:

Agreed, I was told the same thing on the phone around that time. A patch should have been issued weeks ago. This is an issue that makes the game unplayable for some of us. Mine shoots balls down the outlane on almost every game. What's the holdup Stern??

#65 10 years ago

Put a 4-5 ohm several Watt resistor in series with the coil of the right slingshot, that did the trick with me

#66 10 years ago

Ok so around the time of Rolling Stones & each game thereafter Stern moved the slings from the 20v line onto the 50v line it seems. (I remember when I first played Tron I couldn't believe how strong the slings were compared to past Stern titles).

Can't understand why Stern changed the slings onto the 50v line, My guess is that it was a decision by Stern to cut down ball times?

Crap move by Stern, Guess I'll have to do the resistor mod & hope that works.

#67 10 years ago

Not all Met's have this issue. I've played others that don't exhibit this problem at all. I'll take my fix without having to hack my game please.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 12.95
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 29.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 25.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-else-having-issues-with-metallica-slings/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.