(Topic ID: 213880)

Anyone Else Having Difficulty With Amazon?

By Azmodeus

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Azmodeus
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dnews-files-2013-05-fluffy-caterpillar-660x433-jpg-660x381 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I love amazons selection. Love books. It's a dream,
except when they can't deliver new product. I have had my last three orders damaged by poor interior packaging. Clearly it is the packer. Or lack ther of.

No other real options. It looks like they will begin to lose money on me because they can't get me an intact order.

It makes me pause when I order now. It's getting too frequent.

It's too bad. I hope they work this out. It seems like it is thier own people to blame.

#2 6 years ago

Not at all. Other than frequently being pestered to buy Amazon Prime, I have never had anything less a positive experience with Amazon.

#3 6 years ago

Amazon is nice but I've also had issues with damaged items, poor packing, lost items etc, more so after becoming a prime member which I'm not renewing. I find their music and video services included with prime are a hot mess.

#4 6 years ago

Never had an issue with amazon but have had problems with vendors selling on amazon.

Make sure you know which you are dealing with.

Amazon always makes things right so don’t hesitate to complain as you will get it replaced easily.

#5 6 years ago

Amazon's customer service, pricing, and delivery with Prime are pretty awesome. You have access to products that you normally wouldn't have access to, or would be spending much more on at a brick and mortar store. We go through Amazon for 95% of our purchases. And if something is wrong, they will make it right, even if they shouldn't have to.

#6 6 years ago

Rare I have damaged stuff but a book is the least often thing I buy from them. I must have Amazon packages show up every other day from them. Hardcore prime user here

And will 2nd customer service, top notch

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Rare I have damaged stuff but a book is the least often thing I buy from them. I must have Amazon packages show up every other day from them. Hardcore prime user here

Same here. If something is wrong let them know and give them a chance to make you happy. They have always taken care of any issue I have.

#8 6 years ago

I just had some books show up yesterday in their normal book cardboard sleeve thing, and they were protected fine. Maybe your delivery dude is playing football with them.

Before I gave up on Amazon, I'd take a photo and open a ticket and see what they're willing to do about it.

#9 6 years ago

I ordered 3 dvds for my kids last week. 2 out of 3 had the correct case but a totally incorrect dvd inside. I did buy these used, but you would assume someone checked ?? All 3 bought directly from amazon with prime

#10 6 years ago

I've been frustrated by their packing fairly often. On Sunday I received a single Joy-con controller tossed in a huge box with no packing to cushion it. That's just the most recent example. Sometimes I'll receive things that were smartly packed in an appropriate size box or envelope and well padded. Seems like it is a crap shoot as to which you'll get.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

Seems like it is a crap shoot as to which you'll get.

Looking at a thread on reddit, some of that comes down to people improperly entering the item dimensions.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bestof/comments/7m4myg/redditor_explains_the_reasoning_behind_why_amazon/drrix30/?st=jfl3bjzy&sh=0d65c561

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

I ordered 3 dvds for my kids last week. 2 out of 3 had the correct case but a totally incorrect dvd inside. I did buy these used, but you would assume someone checked ?? All 3 bought directly from amazon with prime

used stuff comes from a third party. people can sell on amazon like eBay. Sometimes this stuff is not Amazon's fault but whoever they let sell using their front end (costs like $40 a month to sell on Amazon).

#13 6 years ago

I can’t think of one time I’ve had issues with amazon’s packaging - 3rd party stuff very occasionally, (like twice in 10years) but I can’t think of once where we have gotten something damaged. They are really smart about that stuff

#14 6 years ago

My problem with Amazon has been with shipping times. They tell you a certain day and does not arrive as expected. Prime does not mean "Prime" 2 day shipping like its supposed to be. It used to be right on time, all the time, and now I think there TOO big and really don't care when they have that much business. Have shopped other places because of this recently.

#15 6 years ago

I ordered a part for my Corvette... they shipped *ahem* an adult toy.

#16 6 years ago

I've been buying from eBay instead of Amazon recently for the above reasons. Comparable cost, often free shipping.

EBay isnt a great place to buy a pinball machine, but terrific for many other things.

#17 6 years ago

If you ever get a prime order past 2 days let them know you will get a free month of prime.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from notime2play:

My problem with Amazon has been with shipping times. They tell you a certain day and does not arrive as expected. Prime does not mean "Prime" 2 day shipping like its supposed to be. It used to be right on time, all the time, and now I think there TOO big and really don't care when they have that much business. Have shopped other places because of this recently.

Quoted from djsolzs:

If you ever get a prime order past 2 days let them know you will get a free month of prime.

I was just about to post this ^. I get a few months of free prime a year because of shipping delays.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

I ordered a part for my Corvette... they shipped *ahem* an adult toy.

Isn’t a Corvette a “hot rod” ?

#20 6 years ago

I will just start a ticket. I'm just getting sick of at least one of my books arriving damaged every time.

Third party shippers seem to be the best. In what I buy books, they know. Amazon does not know, somehow.

They will learn.

Also I tried to ship a couple books as a gift to my fiancées niece in Russia. They will learn that too, apparently, it has been two months no books to the niece. Now I need to deal with more Amazon b s.

I know they will fix that too, now they are losing money if they have to eat my hundred dollar lost order. Those will start to stack up.

I just wondered if it seems like every single book order, is now arriving damaged. We will test this theory more.

I don't like to anticipate damage. But after three in a row, will there be a fourth?

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

You need to open up an email conversation with the seller and state explicitly what you received was not correct. Sooner is better.

#22 6 years ago

I can't stand their website anymore and half the stock on the site ships form China. I stopped using Amazon long ago.

#23 6 years ago

They 'Tricked' me into signing up for Prime 2 years ago and it's the best thing evar!

#24 6 years ago

You also have to be mindful of Amazon's targeted pricing.

I am in a 2 year ongoing battle over dog food. They will try to bump it up 5 to 8 bucks every month or so (they obviously know what brand I buy and how often I buy it) So obviously they also track when you click on something and don't complete the purchase.

Solution. Whenever Amazon shows me the higher price I order the same item from Chewy.com and without fail the following month Amazon is back to the original price.

No clue how their 'Autoship' program works but guessing you end up paying the higher price and they hope you either don't notice or don't care enough to return the item or complain about the higher price

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You need to open up an email conversation with the seller and state explicitly what you received was not correct. Sooner is better.

I did. Amazon and the seller were quick to resolve my issues. I just don’t understand how they can’t take 2 seconds to confirm they have the correct dvd or blu Ray. I rarely have any issues with amazon and overall very satisfied.

#26 6 years ago

You do have to be careful what you buy off Amazon. A lot of items are actually sold by other sellers and who knows how long it will take to ship or if the product has an accurate description. Only real issue I can recall was getting a package in my name that I did not order. Strange thing was that it was delivered by a street clothed woman in a Jeep. Thought that was very odd but later learned Amazon uses people like that for deliveries.

Most of the time, I only buy something if it is prime. Sometimes it takes more than a few days but often it is within a day. On some things I can get it elsewhere for a little cheaper but Amazon is just so convenient. They really got their business figured out. Scary how big they are getting.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

They 'Tricked' me into signing up for Prime 2 years ago and it's the best thing evar!

I saved over $800 just on shipping last year. Prime is a no brainer.

#28 6 years ago

The "ships and sold by Amazon" is important. If it states that then you often have free returns, an item actually sold by Amazon, and often 2-day shipping with Prime. If it does not say shipped by Amazon then it is not really Amazon to me and I am careful what I buy from those sellers.

#29 6 years ago

Yeah that's why prime is key... Because 8 think it's all through or backed by Amazon. Or mostly it seems.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

And if something is wrong, they will make it right, even if they shouldn't have to.

Can you cite an example of this?

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Not at all. Other than frequently being pestered to buy Amazon Prime, I have never had anything less a positive experience with Amazon.

Buy amazon prime! It’s the best!!!

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

You do have to be careful what you buy off Amazon. A lot of items are actually sold by other sellers and who knows how long it will take to ship or if the product has an accurate description. Only real issue I can recall was getting a package in my name that I did not order. Strange thing was that it was delivered by a street clothed woman in a Jeep. Thought that was very odd but later learned Amazon uses people like that for deliveries.
Most of the time, I only buy something if it is prime. Sometimes it takes more than a few days but often it is within a day. On some things I can get it elsewhere for a little cheaper but Amazon is just so convenient. They really got their business figured out. Scary how big they are getting.

It has turned into a joke, the last few orders we placed on Amazon took 2 months to get and then we received a couple of packages that where not even ours. Then the other day we got a random package from Amazon with our names on it, but we have not purchased off amazon in years and did not order the product in the box from anyone.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

The "ships and sold by Amazon" is important. If it states that then you often have free returns, an item actually sold by Amazon, and often 2-day shipping with Prime. If it does not say shipped by Amazon then it is not really Amazon to me and I am careful what I buy from those sellers.

The good news for buyers as a whole is that Amazon doesn't tolerate negative feedback on 3rd party sellers. You screw up and you're banned fast. It might not save the first buyer but should keep any seller from selling on Amazon and not being worthy of the "Amazon name"

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Anyone Else Having Difficulty With Amazon?

I have heard that some have a problem with them.

dnews-files-2013-05-fluffy-caterpillar-660x433-jpg-660x381 (resized).jpgdnews-files-2013-05-fluffy-caterpillar-660x433-jpg-660x381 (resized).jpg

#35 6 years ago

The important part when buying from Amazon is to check if it's an FBA (Fulfilled by Amazon) item or sold by Amazon. Next thing would be to check the feedback for whatever business you're buying from. This will save a lot of headache on potential incorrect packing.

Quoted from woody76:

I can't stand their website anymore and half the stock on the site ships from China. I stopped using Amazon long ago.

I'm surprised this is getting downvoted because this is a legit concern. This was a huge point of contention that 3rd party American sellers had with Amazon. I know because my business has an exclusive product that suddenly had 4 new sellers from China selling a knock-off. When Amazon decided to accept international sellers they got swarmed with a bunch of "sellers" from China, many of whom were selling inauthentic items to American consumers and causing prices to crash rapidly. There's easily millions of inauthentic shoes, clothing items, jewelry floating around the US now as a result of this. This was a massive issue and still plagues Amazon to do this day.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Can you cite an example of this?

i can. my brother bought me this for a birthday
https://www.amazon.com/uKeg-Pressurized-Growler-Craft-Beer/dp/B00YR9NUEI/ref=sr_1_3

i had a friend with one, said it was garbage and i didn't have a use for it. At the time (I don't see it mentioned now) it said clearly it was not returnable. My assumption was that's because it has co2 cartridges.. as you can see under "special shipping" that it can only be ground shipped in the first place. Anyways, since i've had good customer experiences with them in the past, i started return process anyway thinking i could perhaps promise to ship ground or something. The sales rep:
1) refunded my brother the $150 (this was the only bad part.. i had to have a conversation with him why i didn't want it)
2) let me keep the item anyway.

I imagine this had something to do with the $ i spend with amazon, but either way.. they ate $150 with me not hassling them at all, just simply asking if there was a way i could return it despite the policy.

1 month later
#37 5 years ago

Since my last post I have had zero problems. With a small exception only.

Thank goodness I like Amazon.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-else-having-difficulty-with-amazon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.