(Topic ID: 282692)

Anyone else HATE the newest Hershey’s Kisses Xmas Bells commercial?

By SonicZone

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 129 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Trogdor
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

43C7729A-059C-493B-B781-69E613970EB8 (resized).jpeg
Cadbury egg (resized).png
they-make-over-a-million-eggs-every-day-1551462183 (resized).jpg
Cadbury-Creme-Eggs-US&UK-Small (resized).jpg
sdfgfdg (resized).jpg
japanese-kit-kat-vote-election-new-flavor-world-summit2 (resized).jpg
a7a12e6ad427edd92ccaaf647de82842 (resized).jpg
0c4db228-2673-4d8c-b9da-8aa1bb3406b6_1.be19b19847ae9c77342216167d61afce (resized).jpeg
F86282A0-752A-4F43-9032-FFC2C93232A2 (resized).jpeg
There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 3 years ago

The 2020 re-do of the legendary Christmas commercial is getting lots of thumbs-down and cries of criticism all over the web. So much so it’s probably why Hershey’s disabled the commercial’s video comments on their YouTube channel.

The original’s been running every year since 1989 (except for a 1080p upgrade). Why mess with perfection?

#2 3 years ago

Like everything else these days: agendas

#3 3 years ago

The old one is still on my TV like 3 times a day. I know because my daughter screams aboot it everytime.

Edit: but no I don't hate it and don't see the issue.

#4 3 years ago

I stopped buying Hershey's a long time ago when I found out they shifted production to Mexico.

#5 3 years ago

I love the old one and got so disappointed to see them messing with it. I always watch it if I am in the room.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

I stopped buying Hershey's a long time ago when I found out they shifted production to Mexico.

When they had to find other cost saving options because they could no longer use slave labor to grow and harvest coco beans.

#7 3 years ago

There is MUCH better chocolate as well...

#8 3 years ago

#9 3 years ago

As someone who lives pretty close to the Hershey's mothership...their chocolate doesn't even contain enough actual chocolate to be considered chocolate in many countries. As for Hershey's and Reese's (Reese is the non-union side of Hershey's about a half mile away) sending lines to Mexico...last I heard, at least a few of them came back due to quality and labor issues in Mexico. Remember how the Hershey bars use to be twice as thick? I know one of the accountants tasked with hammering out the cost savings of shrinking the size 3-5% a year for several years. As stated above...there is way better chocolate out there.

#10 3 years ago

DONT MESS WITH MY COMMERIALS!

MINORITIES! AGENDA!

LOL, what a joke. Stop crying. Maybe TURN OFF the tv?

#11 3 years ago
F86282A0-752A-4F43-9032-FFC2C93232A2 (resized).jpegF86282A0-752A-4F43-9032-FFC2C93232A2 (resized).jpeg
#12 3 years ago

Wow, you'd have to be very fragile to get upset about a commercial showing a father and daughter making cookies.

What's next? Raging about bell ringers outside of Walmart?

#13 3 years ago

Op needs to do some serious life introspection. Holy smokes. With all the things fd up in the world, and THIS is your beef? If that's not insanity I don't know what is.

#14 3 years ago

I try not to watch the commercials on TV, but did not find anything wrong with it.
Hey Op, what's your beef with it?

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

Op needs to do some serious life introspection. Holy smokes. With all the things fd up in the world, and THIS is your beef? If that's not insanity I don't know what is.

I can think of a few things it might be

#16 3 years ago

Mmmmmmmmmmm racism?

#17 3 years ago

do not care and wow, such a stupid thing too. Life has become so boring that people rate or hate commercials ,i cant stand them so even pay subscriptions to do away with them

People can't even sell without a kangaroo court of people dissecting irrelevant Commercials and complaining . What is this planet Coming to. Wait ,i know ,It's own destruction

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

do not care and wow, such a stupid thing too. Life has become so boring that people rate or hate commercials ,i cant stand them so even pay subscriptions to do away with them
People can't even sell without a kangaroo court of people dissecting irrelevant Commercials and complaining . What is this planet Coming to. Wait ,i know ,It's own destruction

I think you are missing the OP's point. He is stirring the pot about an old commercial that has been remade to include a diverse family and using pinside to blow his dog whistle.

#19 3 years ago

I suggest some of you go back and re-read the original statement. Nothing was stated about adding people to the commercial. Op didn’t say anything about an agenda, someone else did.

Try not sparking something that’s not there. All that was stated was he liked the original commercial and liked the TRADITION of it being there every Christmas. Kind of like having Charlie Brown special on network tv for the last 50 years.

Some of these thing are a signal or help some people get in the spirit for the holidays.

Let’s throw a counter point since a lot of people wanted to point fingers and create a narrative. What if the Op no longer has a father/mother/grandparent any more and that commercial reminds them of that person. How about trying to explain to their young child who gets excited every year because that commercial means Santa is coming soon. With everything getting thrown upside down this year, downs the new commercial mean Santa isn’t coming?

None of you know KNOW! What the op means other then he likes the original commercial better and apparently he isn’t the only one since they disabled comments. That’s all that was stated.

Everyone needs to lighten up and quit putting their own views and phobias into other people comments

#20 3 years ago

I do hate it... hate the original one also.

Actually now that I think about it, I hate all commercials but somehow manage to get on with my life.

#21 3 years ago

I had not even noticed. We skip over just about every commercial with having a DVR and hardly ever watch anything live.

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from Tallon:

I suggest some of you go back and re-read the original statement. Nothing was stated about adding people to the commercial. Op didn’t say anything about an agenda, someone else did.
Try not sparking something that’s not there. All that was stated was he liked the original commercial and liked the TRADITION of it being there every Christmas. Kind of like having Charlie Brown special on network tv for the last 50 years.
Some of these thing are a signal or help some people get in the spirit for the holidays.
Let’s throw a counter point since a lot of people wanted to point fingers and create a narrative. What if the Op no longer has a father/mother/grandparent any more and that commercial reminds them of that person. How about trying to explain to their young child who gets excited every year because that commercial means Santa is coming soon. With everything getting thrown upside down this year, downs the new commercial mean Santa isn’t coming?
None of you know KNOW! What the op means other then he likes the original commercial better and apparently he isn’t the only one since they disabled comments. That’s all that was stated.
Everyone needs to lighten up and quit putting their own views and phobias into other people comments

#23 3 years ago

Only reason I clicked was because until I saw the thread title, I had no idea the commercial had even been changed.... and wow, this went off the rails quickly!

Seriously, it's not something worth getting worked up about.

I understand what they were going for: the same bell ringing you've heard for 31 years begins so you think "oh here we go again lemme get up and - WAIT WHAT'S THIS?! Ahh, they got me!" So it's a play for the unexpected - a remix if you will - both tropes that often work to great effect.

But having said that... the synthesized giggle track and overlaid brass is distracting, compared to the refreshing elegance of the original bells which always stood out among the sea of loud formulaic commercials which this now just became. And after just a few years the "surprise!" element will be lost: what were they interrupting in the first place and why, what was the point? And where can I buy Hershey's Cubes shown at the end... is that a new holiday gimmick candy? What the hell is going on here?

What they should have done is use the heartwarming daddy/daughter baking footage to make a wholly new commercial that could (and would) stand on its own. Instead they took a timelessly elegant and flawless concept (that stood the test of time for 30 years!) and cynically double-dipped, creating a horrifically muddled mess like the product itself (Hershey's has gone way downhill since the bells first aired in 1989).

So, as a concept this commercial is not nearly as timeless or elegant. But as a novelty remix I suppose it doesn't have to be so, eh. It's just another commercial either way, just as it always was... and if you need a commercial to define your holiday spirit you have bigger issues. Because life goes on if you're fortunate... and in 2020 especially, a commercial selling crappy chocolate at Christmas is just about the stupidest possible thing to get worked up about.

#24 3 years ago

Stale advertising loses it's effectiveness. Plus Ad Agencies need to eat too.

#25 3 years ago

Why hate on it when everyone's favorite three minute COPD medicine ad is coming up next? O o o...

#26 3 years ago

I'm gonna have to nominate this for dumbest thread that garnered responses in Pinside history.

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm gonna have to nominate this for dumbest thread that garnered responses in Pinside history.

Definitely been worse

#28 3 years ago

I just felt horrified that the poor “bell ringer” was being grabbed away from his friends to be consumed! They’ve done too good a job for 31 years of giving the candies personality.

But other than that moment of horror, the rest of the commercial was pretty straightforward and unremarkable.

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Quoted from russdx:

Definitely been worse

Let's give it time.

Quoted from goingincirclez:

I had no idea the commercial had even been changed....

Again, it has not been changed, the original ad still runs.

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Faux News

Hershey makes 70 million Kisses a day in their giant new plant in Hershey Pennsylvania

They also just opened another new plant in Hazle Township Pennsylvania to ramp up Kit Kat production

(Hershey has plants worldwide in Brazil, India, and Mexico. Some say the Mexican chocolate miniatures are better, but I bought some in a Mexican grocery store in TX and I could not taste anything different)

0c4db228-2673-4d8c-b9da-8aa1bb3406b6_1.be19b19847ae9c77342216167d61afce (resized).jpeg0c4db228-2673-4d8c-b9da-8aa1bb3406b6_1.be19b19847ae9c77342216167d61afce (resized).jpeg
#31 3 years ago
Quoted from Tallon:

Exactly the point I was trying to make.

From all the low-quality video rips and parodies upped to YouTube over the years, there are those out there who like seeing that long-running spot each year. It's a stretch but it could be likened to, say, NBC's annual airing of "It's A Wonderful Life." I admit I'm one of them too, but not obsessive about it like those naysayers. More than anything else I was surprised at the flood of backlash that came down so fast on Hershey's Facebook page about it (and there's a LOT of it there, anyone even looked at it?). The new spot's negativity has even hit Wikipedia of all places.

And the claims made here that were never in my OP have three applicable points: No basis, no intent, no truth. Period.

And as far as the original spot still being on, I have yet to see it air this year, whereas the remake has been shown about a dozen times.

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from SonicZone:

...It's a stretch but it could be likened to, say, NBC's annual airing of "It's A Wonderful Life." I

Or when Apple tries to take away the Peanuts holiday specials from my child!

#33 3 years ago

i don't know why I waste my time with all the pinball crap that this forum is flooded with. it's these off-topic threads about stuff that seemingly nobody should give a shit about that's where it's at!

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Faux News
Hershey makes 70 million Kisses a day in their giant new plant in Hershey Pennsylvania
They also just opened another new plant in Hazle Township Pennsylvania to ramp up Kit Kat production
(Hershey has plants worldwide in Brazil, India, and Mexico. Some say the Mexican chocolate miniatures are better, but I bought some in a Mexican grocery store in TX and I could not taste anything different)[quoted image]

Vid-- I don't post here much myself these days, but it sure is good to see you around. I've always enjoyed your presence here, with both pinball and non-pinball topics alike. Can't quite get over you trying to say that the Monkees were better than the Beatles one time- haha, but wouldn't be much of a forum if everyone just said safe, non-controversial things.

#35 3 years ago

Its not as fun to watch . every time the old ad would air our cat would come running up to the tv and watch it tell the end . so not a fan of the new style

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Can't quite get over you trying to say that the Monkees were better than the Beatles

The Beatles were the first boy band, and no one can ever take that away from them.
a7a12e6ad427edd92ccaaf647de82842 (resized).jpga7a12e6ad427edd92ccaaf647de82842 (resized).jpg

Although Paul still has it:

Paul McCartney - Fuh You

#37 3 years ago

Lol. Guy doesn't like a commercial. "He's racist!!" What a joke

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Lol. Guy doesn't like a commercial. "He's racist!!" What a joke

It's 2020, who is watching TV with commercials?

Even if some buba wanted to watch Country Music Awards live, every modern TV records to a memory stick and let's you skip the commercials in almost real time.

#39 3 years ago

I hate all commercials, period. There is not a single good commercial (except for the banned Kleenex one)...Netflix all the way.

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from kevmad:

There is not a single good commercial (except for the banned Kleenex one)

I died 6 days after watching that.

#41 3 years ago

I think I speak for all of Pinside when I say we're all thankful you were brought back to life!

#42 3 years ago

Not sure how we got to Japanese commercials, but it’s a fun topic

This Japanese tire commercial is truly scary.

#43 3 years ago

This one is pretty funny

#44 3 years ago

How about tv generally being largely unwatchable for the past couple years?

Imo cable and network tv is a giant sewer and the commercials are all a part of the garbage. Cut the cord, save money and stop watching this junk. Your life will be better for it.

I grew up in the 80s andknow what has changed. Television is just a giant indoctrination portal in every respect. I am much happier without it. I can make up my own mind about things. Read more, educate yourselves by doing so, and experience the benefits of self learning which are now so old fashioned according to social media and the media elites in general.

#45 3 years ago

Did someone see a black person on TV and it scared them?

#46 3 years ago

@OP
if you dont like an ad, dont watch it
this ad will not bring forward 'the end of days'

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

Did someone see a black person on TV and it scared them?

Again for the people not listening. You can believe what you want but.....when you assume something like what you just said, you neither helping nor understanding like most people claim.

Quit trying to put words where there are none and quit pushing your own narrative

Try “did someone have to deal with change?” You still trying to start something but atleast it’s accurate and not ASSUMED!

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Faux News
(Hershey has plants worldwide in Brazil, India, and Mexico. Some say the Mexican chocolate miniatures are better, but I bought some in a Mexican grocery store in TX and I could not taste anything different)[quoted image]

Its not fake news. Pick up your bag of Halloween candy and find out. Yes they have small plants all over producing nameless candies. However Mexico is chocolate and it is not as good as PA. Glad to hear however they are reinvesting back in USA again like many companies.

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from HEAD_boss_HOG:

How about tv generally being largely unwatchable for the past couple years?
Imo cable and network tv is a giant sewer and the commercials are all a part of the garbage. Cut the cord, save money and stop watching this junk. Your life will be better for it.
I grew up in the 80s andknow what has changed. Television is just a giant indoctrination portal in every respect. I am much happier without it. I can make up my own mind about things. Read more, educate yourselves by doing so, and experience the benefits of self learning which are now so old fashioned according to social media and the media elites in general.

TV has always been an indoctrination instrument. It may actually be less impactful now than previously for a variety of reasons.

Happy holidays!

#50 3 years ago

Why would anyone be so upset about this to start a thread. It has the original and then shows a father and daughter having a good time. Its fine.

There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-else-hate-the-newest-hersheys-kisses-xmas-bells-commercial?hl=thegunnett and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.