(Topic ID: 282692)

Anyone else HATE the newest Hershey’s Kisses Xmas Bells commercial?

By SonicZone

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 129 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Trogdor
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

43C7729A-059C-493B-B781-69E613970EB8 (resized).jpeg
Cadbury egg (resized).png
they-make-over-a-million-eggs-every-day-1551462183 (resized).jpg
Cadbury-Creme-Eggs-US&UK-Small (resized).jpg
sdfgfdg (resized).jpg
japanese-kit-kat-vote-election-new-flavor-world-summit2 (resized).jpg
a7a12e6ad427edd92ccaaf647de82842 (resized).jpg
0c4db228-2673-4d8c-b9da-8aa1bb3406b6_1.be19b19847ae9c77342216167d61afce (resized).jpeg
F86282A0-752A-4F43-9032-FFC2C93232A2 (resized).jpeg
There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 3 years ago
Quoted from JayDee:

Guy bought his hot wife a peloton that SHE wanted for christmas. No biggie! But all of the nutjobs out there implied that he's a total dick for doing that and the real reason he bought it was to make sure she stayed in shape and maintained her hotness, or something.

lol it was a little more than that. The commercial gives off some seriously disturbing black mirror vibes with the way the woman films herself and then watches it back with her husband to receive his approval.

#102 3 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Im as liberal as they come, but when I see somebody accuse somebody else of racism simply because they don’t like something that has black people in it, I’m sorry, but that seems like it’s their own guilty conscience talking.

But this is what I’m trying to understand. Nothing was said about black people. Just didn’t like that they change it.

I’m pointing out that people are drawing a conclusion without knowing that person, no proof that person is in fact what they think that are, and completely missing the discussion because the word hate is in the title. Seriously, people on here qualified how much someone could or could not like something and called them a racist for it.

#103 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

lol it was a little more than that. The commercial gives off some seriously disturbing black mirror vibes with the way the woman films herself and then watches it back with her husband to receive his approval.

Wow. I see nothing even mildly disturbing in this commercial let alone "seriously disturbing".

People need to just chill. If you sit looking at the clouds in the sky passing by, each one can be interpreted to look like something. Everything you say can be interpreted by someone with an agenda in the opposite way it is intended. I learned this more than a few times earlier in life when breaking up with a girlfriend; if something could be interpreted completely different than I had intended it and taken as an outrage, it always would be.

Taking things on face value is best rather than always looking for dog whistles that most likely are not there. For instance the OP in this thread clearly stated "why mess with perfection" and no mention of anything to do with the added content. Obviously there is a sentimental attachment to this commercial in its original form and ANY change was not welcome regardless of content.

#104 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Wow. I see nothing even mildly disturbing in this commercial let alone "seriously disturbing".
People need to just chill. If you sit looking at the clouds in the sky passing by, each one can be interpreted to look like something. Everything you say can be interpreted by someone with an agenda in the opposite way it is intended. I learned this more than a few times earlier in life when breaking up with a girlfriend; if something could be interpreted completely different than I had intended it and taken as an outrage, it always would be.
Taking things on face value is best rather than always looking for dog whistles that most likely are not there. For instance the OP in this thread clearly stated "why mess with perfection" and no mention of anything to do with the added content. Obviously there is a sentimental attachment to this commercial in its original form and ANY change was not welcome regardless of content.

so you think its normal for a wife to film herself working out and then sit on the couch and watch that video with her husband?

I don't think there is a dog whistle in that commercial, its just bad.

Things are open to criticism. I can't think of a single other commercial that has been scrutinized like this one.

I generally agree with your point of view, but there are exceptions. Like this bizarre peloton commercial.

#105 3 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

I get that the OP is not racist simply for starting this thread. And I had no idea that this was the controversy du jour. but if someone has a problem with this ad - and the clear only difference to original is that they added a black family baking cookies as a cut in - is it that big of a leap to wonder if they have a problem with said black family? And are perhaps... (huge leap here) Racists?
That is literally the only thing different about the ad.
I get it that this a dangerous accusation that gets thrown around a lot today. But what am I missing here?

That’s my point. We don’t know anything other then the op hates the new commercial. Your adding the black element, your adding the narrative and your accusing someone of something without basis because you your beliefs. That is wrong.

Let me say it again. That is wrong. People who accuse someone, anyone of anything needs proof not just felling and miss drawn conclusions

#106 3 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

I stopped buying Hershey's a long time ago when I found out they shifted production to Mexico.

How hard was the transition to being a nudist?

#107 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

so you think its normal for a wife to film herself working out and then sit on the couch and watch that video with her husband?
I don't think there is a dog whistle in that commercial, its just bad.
Things are open to criticism. I can't think of a single other commercial that has been scrutinized like this one.

Well look at the bright side. At least the husband didn’t buy her a toilet.

#108 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Well look at the bright side. At least the husband didn’t buy her a toilet.

that would have been kind of hot

wait wat nevermind

#109 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

seriously disturbing

Dude, are you fucking serious?

But if the family was Black then you would have loved the commercial right? I sure hope so. Otherwise YOU ARE RACIST!!!

#110 3 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

But if the family was Black then you would have loved the commercial right? I sure hope so. Otherwise YOU ARE RACIST!!!

do you interpret everything you read in the most literal way possible?

Was I offended by the peloton ad? Of course not... but I did find it bizarre and hilariously bad.

#111 3 years ago
Quoted from Tallon:

That’s my point. We don’t know anything other then the op hates the new commercial. Your adding the black element, your adding the narrative and your accusing someone of something without basis because you your beliefs. That is wrong.
Let me say it again. That is wrong. People who accuse someone, anyone of anything needs proof not just felling and miss drawn conclusions

I just read that this new ad in fact replaced the old one from 1989. So your point is very fair and allows me to clarify.

I don’t think anyone’s a racist if they like an old Hershey ad more than this new one.

My understanding (before googling) was that there were two ads running this holiday season - the old one and this new one. My point was

If you watch two nearly identical ads on your television - and LITERALLY the only difference between the two is a black family baking cookies. And your conclusion after seeing those two ads is that you HATE the new one..

Then yes. I’m calling you a racist.

But if people’s outrage (in my opinion still absurd) is that they got rid of a classic Hershey’s commercial for this new one. Then I agree with you.

I thinks it’s an important distinction and I had no idea this new ad replaced the classic.

#112 3 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

My point was
If you watch two nearly identical ads on your television - and LITERALLY the only difference between the two is a black family baking cookies. And your conclusion after seeing those two ads is that you HATE the new one..
Then yes. I’m calling you a racist.

Cool, some understanding. That’s all I’m pointing out. A lot of name calling without reading or understanding.

#113 3 years ago

Ok speaking of Hershey's did anyone try the Le Kit Kat's yet they have Apple Pie and Birthday cake Apple Pie is amazing.

#114 3 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

...I’m sorry, but that seems like it’s their own guilty conscience talking.

I could see your point right up until this

#115 3 years ago
Quoted from spyderken:

Ok speaking of Hershey's did anyone try the Le Kit Kat's yet they have Apple Pie and Birthday cake Apple Pie is amazing.

I grabbed some Apple Pie one day when I was at Walgreen's and found it to be quite good.

#116 3 years ago

That Pelaton commercial is kinda weird. This is the first I’ve seen it.

I’ll hazard a guess that some people have problems with it because the woman is portrayed as insecure and self conscious, who requires validation from without instead of within. It’s an unflattering portrayal that one might interpret as a generalization for all women. As a result, the character is annoying and off putting IMO.

#117 3 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

He explained why he thought it was a disturbing commercial to him. He gave examples and talked about the issues that bothered him. People may or may not agree. Even if the Palatone family was black, his concerns are still valid to him. He actually explained it. I don't necessarily agree or disagree with his point but at least he supported it and it wasn't ever about race and if race was involved his arguments transcend color. So saying he's RACIST if it was a black family isn't valid because his points had nothing to do with race. Now we don't know if OP was being racist but his argument that he hates the commercial because he loves tradition isn't a strong one, also not one that warrants a topic on a pinball forum. Something really angered him, and tradition can also be argued as "the good old days". Now nothing I said or pointed out means the OP is racists, but they do raise concern, so I think its fair for people to question the OP, as the OP never really defended himself, someone else did, and he hitched his wagon onto that. I don't know if the OP is racist, I've said some racist stuff in the past and had racist beliefs, a lot of that was attributed to ignorance and the way I was raised. I never once in my life believed I was ever racist, but I do understand what I said in the past could offend people and also could be portrayed as racist (some of it was). I think learning other peoples viewpoints understand our history, understand the struggles, and most importantly understand that media like movies and music, portray a race in a negative light and we are a society that loves being feed information and entertainment through a screen. So we subconsciously absorb prejudice thoughts and ideas. We need to start questioning why every movie that has a terrorist is Arab or foreign when we have a big home grown terrorist problem here in America, why asians aren't portrayed enough on television/modelling, when they have the worlds largest population, and when they are in movies, why do they all have martial arts abilities? These are just some examples we start to believe, and are not a reflection of the real world. Anyways, going to buy some Hershey's kisses now, I think the world needs more kisses!

#118 3 years ago

Must be nice, they BOTH get a new GMC for Christmas!

#119 3 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Must be nice, they BOTH get a new GMC for Christmas!

What cracks me up about these car commercials is that these really young adults actually OWN a multi million dollar house. Be serious.

#120 3 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

What cracks me up about these car commercials is that these really young adults actually OWN a multi million dollar house. Be serious.

you mean two snobs that get the gmc's for xmas. also, they have used this ad for 3-4 years. you think they would make a new version.

#121 3 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

There are plenty of them near me. When compared to most of the 35-45 year olds who inhabit my neighborhood, I feel like an old man.

Quoted from zaki:

you mean two snobs that get the gmc's for xmas. also, they have used this ad for 3-4 years. you think they would make a new version.

What about their behavior is snobbish?

#122 3 years ago

You guys still see commercials?

#123 3 years ago

Stick with original commercial!

#124 3 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Im as liberal as they come, but when I see somebody accuse somebody else of racism simply because they don’t like something that has black people in it, I’m sorry, but that seems like it’s their own guilty conscience talking.

We are trying to solve a mystery here. Just because we start assuming someone is a killer doesnt make them a killer themselves. I thought this line of logic died with the whole, "I know you are but what am I" style of debate as a 3rd grader?

#125 3 years ago
Quoted from Llabnip1972:

Mmmmmmmmmmm racism?

When everything is racism, nothing is...

#126 3 years ago
Quoted from HEAD_boss_HOG:

How about tv generally being largely unwatchable for the past couple years?
Imo cable and network tv is a giant sewer and the commercials are all a part of the garbage. Cut the cord, save money and stop watching this junk. Your life will be better for it.
I grew up in the 80s andknow what has changed. Television is just a giant indoctrination portal in every respect. I am much happier without it. I can make up my own mind about things. Read more, educate yourselves by doing so, and experience the benefits of self learning which are now so old fashioned according to social media and the media elites in general.

Spot on. Group think is promoted over critical thinking skills.

1 week later
#127 3 years ago

Is this racist thread done yet?

#128 3 years ago

Don't eat Hershey kisses. My aunt told many years ago that it was dog food. It still sticks, don't eat them.

#129 3 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Is this racist thread done yet?

Haha- it was done and dusted until you came out of no where. Something unresolved here?
Pinside has something for everyone. I caught up with the thread- it does seem unresolved. Am I the racist or are the people continually telling me I’m making racist choices the racist? When I make my VP list and only consider women of color, isn’t that sexist and racist? I just don’t know.. Who dug this thread up for f sake?

There are 129 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-else-hate-the-newest-hersheys-kisses-xmas-bells-commercial/page/3?hl=zaki and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.