(Topic ID: 137457)

Anyone else getting bored with there 90's B/W games?

By jgentry

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 114 posts
  • 75 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Reality_Studio
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

wellplayedboob.jpg

There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 4 years ago

Trying to figure out what's 'modern' with a new Stern VS B/W games of 20 years ago...LEDs maybe?

Quoted from jgentry:

They are modern

#102 4 years ago
    Quoted from nocreditdot:

I have been in this hobby for quite a while. The answer for me is diversity.
    I have
    2 newer Sterns
    4 Williams dmd games 90s
    4 classic early 80s Balls
    3 classic early 80s Sterns
    2 system 11 games.
    I often find I go through spells with each generation. Depending when you asked me over the years I could have sold all my dmds for balls from the 80s or vice versa. However I'm glad for variety. Mix it up a little.

I wish I could give you more than one thumbs up. That is how you build a collection!!! And I'm not sayin that just because it is similar to mine. I just feel the same way about them. What is the greatest pinball era? Depends on which week you ask me.

#103 4 years ago

What??? You turn on your pins,and watch football???

#104 4 years ago
    Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Trying to figure out what's 'modern' with a new Stern VS B/W games of 20 years ago...LEDs maybe?

LED's play are part but they are in general much brighter and the themes are mostly current (granted they will be outdated like everything else eventually). They typically play faster also and have a little more intense feel to them.

#105 4 years ago

I get bored with games but don't feel the need to move them, I won't play a few of them for sometimes a year or two then one night I decide to dust off a couple I haven't played for a while and play a few games and WOW! It's like I have new games! It's fun again and I'll play those couple for a while then move to some newer stuff or older EMs I haven't played for a while. Sure I'll sell and swap out once in a while but there are at least 12 in my collection I'll never sell till the Estate Sale! Hoping to hold that off for a while though!!!

Tom

#106 4 years ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

It's fun again and I'll play those couple for a while then move to some newer stuff or older EMs I haven't played for a while.

It's great if you have the space and funds to hold onto pins and return to them later. I try to do this, but space constraints especially have forced me to sell a couple of machines that I would have liked to keep. I am approaching that situation again soon, I think.

#107 4 years ago

I guess our opinions on 'modern' are different.

You can pretty much look at any electronic product made 20~25 years ago compared to the same one made today and see massive improvements. Even in the sister business arcade game...the improvement is crazy. I just don't see any of that in Stern games. In fact...I see less innovation than what B\W was doing. Stern keeps rehashing and bashing

It's probably the reason they always do licensed stuff. They almost have to...to sell games.

I'm just glad Stern isn't running Sony...I've probably still have a giant 35" 400 pound CRT TV in my living room.

Quoted from jgentry:

LED's play are part but they are in general much brighter and the themes are mostly current (granted they will be outdated like everything else eventually). They typically play faster also and have a little more intense feel to them.

#108 4 years ago

Nope, not getting tired of B/W games. I enjoy playing all the new Sterns but always love coming back to my 90's B/W games at home because of that charm, approachability, and quality.

Would always like to have a newer Stern, but can't see myself trading a spot in my lineup for one. If I had room for a wider collection I would certainly consider mixing it up though.

All pinball is good pinball of course. I will continue to put cash into our local location games and enjoy/support Stern that way.

#109 4 years ago

I've been through almost all of the WPC era games and loved most of them. At this point I'd rather have new Stems or 70s Gottliebs.

#110 4 years ago

The problem I have with Sterns is that you only need 2-3 of them, since they're basically all the same except for a few standouts. I'm seeing more of the "only NIB" guys suddenly swapping out some of those Sterns for other things.

Hopefully Heighway and JJP can ramp up production so that we get some real variety.

#111 4 years ago
    Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Funny...I'm just the opposite. With Stern's cookie cutter re-hashed fan layouts and bash this thing mentality... I find my self even more attracted to the 90s B/W (and even 80s) games.

It happens in B/W world too....MM/AFM/MB are cookie cutter variations of each other.

#112 4 years ago

I will never get tired of my NGG. And two linked NBAFB are still great when the old buddies come in town from the Jordan Pippen days.

Nice to know the high ranking B/W will likely get re-done by PPS, et al. I am anxiously awaiting to re-instate all the old titles with re-done versions having new components and latest technology.

#113 4 years ago

I like all eras of pins, but 'yes', I'm totally bored with 90s WPC pins.

Nothing wrong with them... just had my day with them. Out of all of the WPC era games, all I have left is Fish Tales, which is a keeper for me (for now). Gotta' love that music.

#114 4 years ago

I was mostly a video gamer in the 80s, never was into pinball so there is no nostalgia pinball factor for me at all and all these pinball tables are basically like new games to me. But lately via Pinball Arcade and playing tables in various places I've actually gotten very into pinball and made a list of 11 tables to buy for a game room. I just looked closer at my list after seeing this thread and ironically noticed that all 11 games I listed are Williams or Bally. Go figure. I can understand that for you guys maybe y'all are getting bored having played them for so long, but it seems like they just really grab me more than other manufacturers tables for whatever reason. So I'm definitely not bored of them yet!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 119.95
    Boards
    Allteksystems
    $ 8.50
    Lighting - Led
    Pinball Haus
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 122.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Boards
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    MicksPinball
    $ 299.00
    $ 5.00
    $ 119.99
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    FlyLand Designs
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Gweem's Mods
    $ 14.95
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Photos
    $ 334.95
    $ 11.95
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Haus
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Photos
    There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside