(Topic ID: 137457)

Anyone else getting bored with there 90's B/W games?

By jgentry

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 114 posts
  • 75 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Reality_Studio
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

wellplayedboob.jpg

There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 4 years ago

I find myself getting bored a lot faster with my 90's B/W titles then I used to. Games that I used to love I feel bored with in a couple of plays and do not play them again for sometimes months. They are just starting to feel dated compared to my modern games. I'm honestly thinking about selling most of them. Anyone else ever go through this? If you did and sold them do you regret it and miss them?

#2 4 years ago

There is not a pinball machine made that I cannot get bored with if I play it enough.

#3 4 years ago

Yes. Everyone hurry up and get bored with your 90's DMD games so the prices drop and I can get a nice Scared Stiff for sane money.

#4 4 years ago

I don't think about eras, just what it is I enjoy. If you're not playing your games then sell them, why not? Someone out there is going to be stoked to have them.

I wish someone local would get bored of their 1980 Bally collection and hit me up!

#5 4 years ago

You can't like every game forever. Once you get a new title your excited and can't wait to start playing them. then after a while you get bored and time to move on. That's the best thing about the hobby. get bored, trade for a different title. some games are keepers some are not. lots of people like simpsons pinball party. I think the game is horrible. couldn't wait to sell it. but for me the B/W games are more fun. I only kept 2 stern games through my rotation. If your not happy with them, sell so someone else can enjoy like you first did.

Quoted from epthegeek:

Yes. Everyone hurry up and get bored with your 90's DMD games so the prices drop and I can get a nice Scared Stiff for sane money.

the ops got one. talk to him

#6 4 years ago

I kinda like sterns/data east more than williams games.

#7 4 years ago

No.
    What do you want for your CV?

#8 4 years ago

I find some of the 92-94 wpc's feel very dated now. TZ and Adams stick out the most. Early WPC's like funhouse have sounds that are more akin to late system 11's. Adams and TZ are supposed to reproducing actual music / voices and it sounds like garbage. The other is that the DMD animations are quite simple compared to later machines.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from cavalier88z24:

the ops got one. talk to him

If he's the start of a deluge sell off, he'd be high - not low

#10 4 years ago

I currently have the below list and I do want to hang onto some of them but others could go and I would never miss them. I do love the character that the games have but I just don't think many of them hold up well against modern games. It was pretty funny the other night when my wife and I were talking about what I wanted to keep. She asked about CV and all I could come up with is that I like the thought of owning it. Not exactly a glowing endorsement for me hanging onto it.

SS keeper, just a fun game when I'm in the mood for something less intense and my wife's favorite
    CFTBL keeper, short ball time and one of my favorite games
    WWH2O probably a keeper but I'm on the fence
    STTNG gone at first chance
    CV got bored with fast
    MM meh, maybe a keeper
    Congo time to let it go

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

They are just starting to feel dated compared to my modern games.

I think this is inevitable as technology improves. Just like EMs to solid state to System 11s to WPC, modern Sterns, JJP and others have raised the bar over previous pinball generations.

I like and appreciate the differences and plan to have a wide range of pinball technology / generations in my collection, but the dominance of the WMS 90's games has peaked (or will soon). Prices on all but high end copies of A list games are softening and I think that will continue.

It sounds like you are considering selling for the right reason - you no longer enjoy the games as you once did. First and foremost, pinball should be about having fun. If a game isn't fun (or doesn't have some significant sentimental value), no reason to keep it. I sold my TNG for the same reason - we didn't enjoy it as much as the other games we had. But I wouldn't make a sale decision just on the basis of "there is newer technology".

#12 4 years ago

Every game has an expiration date. It takes so many plays and then it has to be moved. I'm familiar with that concept because last night I traded what was one of my all time favorite games. I'd just played it too many times. It doesn't make it less of a game, and the new owner will have the same excitement I used to have about it.

Oh, and I traded it for the best game ever

#13 4 years ago

Not bored at all with 90s B/W - just the opposite. For me they have more personality than Stern games, not to mention much more innovative toys. But it's possible to get bored with anything. You have a nice collection - should be able to trade it for some games you'll enjoy more!

#14 4 years ago

No.

Best games that have been - or ever will be - made. The realities of the business and the collapse of the coin op industry mean we'll never see that kind of consistent quality or free expression of creativity on a mass scale In pinball again.

I never get sick of them and it's great when I get the rare chance to get into one I've never owned or played before.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from canea:

not to mention much more innovative toys.

How so? I find it kind of the opposite. DE/Sega/Stern seemed more willing to experiment with different ideas. They cut corners elsewhere and they certainly copied layouts, but they were more experimental with toys.

#16 4 years ago

Here all the 90's era games I though would be permanent fixtures in my collection two years ago. Out of 7 games, only 4 I still consider keepers:

CFTBL - perfect game for theme and casual players. HEP restoration, not going anywhere.
    MM - tied with Creature as to which game will leave last. Bought NIB and family favorite.
    NGG - still don't get tired of it. Paid almost nothing for it in 1999 which is a consideration too.
    TAF - was never interested in the game until I sold Monopoly to get it. Dated, but fun. Position in pinball history alone probably enough to keep it.

MB - Already sold. Didn't last long. Just didn't keep my interest. It's slot is waiting for AMH.
    SC - will probably go to make room for Pat's JJP game.
    SS - not as interesting as it used to be. Will probably go whenever I sell Elvira.

AFM is on my wish list, primarily as a companion to RFM, but as long as space is a consideration, interest is fading over keeping room for a future NIB game.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

How so? I find it kind of the opposite. DE/Sega/Stern seemed more willing to experiment with different ideas. They cut corners elsewhere and they certainly copied layouts, but they were more experimental with toys.

A recent example for me was partial trading my Met Pro for a Mousin' Around, which I suppose is heresy to plenty here. Mousin' is 25 years old, built on an archaic system, and it still has more interesting features than Metallica (pro anyway), which has a bobblehead and a couple magnets. A lot of the new Sterns also feel very cold to me, particularly the music titles. Just not a lot of personality, warmth, or story even though they are deeper games. I dunno, to each his own, just one guy's opinion.

#18 4 years ago

Lol, and so the avalanche of PM's trying to buy my games has begun.

#19 4 years ago

Ever consider routing them for others to enjoy? Then you get to hang on to them, free up space, and bring in enough coinage for the odd 6 pack now and then!

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from smokedog:

Ever consider routing them for others to enjoy? Then you get to hang on to them, free up space, and bring in enough coinage for the odd 6 pack now and then!

That would be cool but I have no desire to turn my hobby into a job. I certainly respect those that do route there games though.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Every game has an expiration date. It takes so many plays and then it has to be moved. I'm familiar with that concept because last night I traded what was one of my all time favorite games. I'd just played it too many times. It doesn't make it less of a game, and the new owner will have the same excitement I used to have about it.
    Oh, and I traded it for the best game ever

And what is the best game ever?

#22 4 years ago

Interesting to read, I don't feel TAF is dated at all and I enjoy it as much today as I did in 1992! I consider 90's to still be modern era I guess.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from Asael:

And what is the best game ever?

Ill field this one:

Probably attack from mars.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from fish1975tx:

Interesting to read, I don't feel TAF is dated at all and I enjoy it as much today as I did in 1992! I consider 90's to still be modern era I guess.

Just goes to show that there is a game for everyone. TAF was by far one of the shortest stays of any of my games. I found myself doing nothing but shooting the ramp then the scoop over and over to get to tour the mansion and get the 50m jackpot. I pretty much ignored the modes except tunnel hunt and saience (spelling?) just because tunnel hunt actually had good points and I liked the knocker in the other mode.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Lol, and so the Avalanche of PM's trying to buy my games has begun.

Just trying to help you out...

#26 4 years ago

I went from system 11s to WPC titles. Then back to system 11s cause I missed them.

For me, the WPC dmds are fun, but sometimes are just too tedious and long. Too complex at times. This mode.. that mode, etc. System 11s are just pinball. Easy rulesets all about getting a high score. Not completing a bunch of modes.

System 11s are the best era of pinball imo.

#27 4 years ago

LOL - the thread right above this is about falling in love with 90's BW games. I can see getting bored of a game once you played it a thousand times and seen all it has to offer. It hasn't happened to me yet. Some games are boring to me from the start but a fun game never gets old.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

saience (spelling?)

seance

Also, "their" not "there" in your title.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Lol, and so the Avalanche of PM's trying to buy my games has begun.

ha. I was going to ask you about the white water. It's on my wish list. for im in Milwaukee and not far. but don't want to pounce on someone if there not sure on selling like every one else. keep in mind sir once you sell a game that was at your standards it's hard to replace it.

#30 4 years ago

There's a few that would be long-term keepers for me (particularlly CFTBL), but mainly I find that they're fun to play on route but would get old a bit quickly in the home environment.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

I find myself getting bored a lot faster with my 90's B/W titles then I used to. Games that I used to love I feel bored with in a couple of plays and do not play them again for sometimes months. They are just starting to feel dated compared to my modern games. I'm honestly thinking about selling most of them. Anyone else ever go through this? If you did and sold them do you regret it and miss them?

Yes.

Sold every one.

But would have these back - AFM, FT, BSD, WH20.

#32 4 years ago

Had 12 games (WPC and Stern) about 6 years ago and definitely got bored with them. So... I developed the P-ROC, created the concept for the P3, and sold 9 my old machines. Been an interesting 6 years!

- Gerry
    http://www.multimorphic.com

#33 4 years ago

Out of all the B/W machines in my collection, the only one I'm getting bored with is LOTR.

EDIT: But seriously...if I had to play Sophie's Choice with my machines, Congo would be the first to go. Great game. Just doesn't hold up well against newer machines, or better B/W titles. But damn, it IS a lot of fun...

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Out of all the B/W machines in my collection, the only one I'm getting bored with is LOTR.
    EDIT: But seriously...if I had to play Sophie's Choice with my machines, Congo would be the first to go. Great game. Just doesn't hold up well against newer machines, or better B/W titles. But damn, it IS a lot of fun...

a Bally/Williams LOTR intresting

#35 4 years ago

Well, I'm just a few hours away in Knoxville if you want to unload some...

Honestly though, I had gotten rid of most of my B/W and overall preferred the newer ones. That said I recently traded for a JM and RFM and I've had a lot of fun with them. I don't think either will stay forever, however, and I will be looking to change those out for probably IM, XMLE or maybe a SMVE or GOT if they get announced.

I find myself going back and forth a lot on my decision making process. Guess I'm neurotic.

#36 4 years ago

My problem is letting go of any machines, as I always find something fun in each one. It's a very small degree of difference from my favorite title to my least played game. They all offer so much & I feel like they're a work of art and speak to my personality in some way... (But I have to make room to grow) Truly a 'Sophie's Choice' situation...

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from VolunteerPin:

I find myself going back and forth a lot on my decision making process. Guess I'm neurotic.

I guess you're normal!

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from cavalier88z24:

a Bally/Williams LOTR intresting

That was my cute way of saying "none of them."

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from floyd1977:

seance
    Also, "their" not "there" in your title.

If I don't put (spelling?) after it you do not get to correct me

#40 4 years ago

For myself I prefer mostly new ones, and just a few old ones that I really like.

#41 4 years ago

I've had various B/W games mostly the popular ones like IJ, TZ, TOTAN, STTNG, T2, BOP, CFTBL and currently own only Stern. I like the older games, but given the choice (which I have) my collection does not include any B/W games. For a brief time I got a CFTBL back thinking that I missed it a lot but found that I didn't really care for it as much as the newer games.

#42 4 years ago

Anything gets boring and played out over time no matter what it is pins, cars , girlfriends, job and so on and so on . Just gotta keep things fresh or change things up a bit granted you shouldnt do that with your wife of girlfriend lol but everything else is ok . I didn't play tz for a few months and now its back to being my most played . Was bored with my car so I added new stereo , wheels and other stuff now it feels newish again. I was in love with met and put 500 games on it in first few weeks and since then 50 but I will be going back for more soon.

#43 4 years ago

I'm definitely going to let Congo, STTNG, and CV go. Going to hang onto WH20 for a while longer, I don't play it as much but I always enjoy I when I do and I think I will miss trying to time 5x the fun with multi ball. My AMH is shipping this week so it will keep me occupied for the next several months.

#44 4 years ago

That's why it's sometime nice to have a variety. EMs, early SS and some DMD games. Honestly there are some games I haven't played in 6 months (or longer) and when I do it's like rediscovering them again.

#45 4 years ago

No.
    I love the new Sterns (my current favorites are ST, Mustang and AC/DC)
    I love the boutique pins
    I love the Bally/Williams holy trinity (MM, AFM, MB) and my Dr Who
    I love the SS from the Golden age (Centaur, Medusa...)
    I love my Black Hole
    I love the odd Zaccarias
    I love EMs
    I love them all.

... and I have so little space.

#46 4 years ago

I have been in this hobby for quite a while. The answer for me is diversity.
    I have
    2 newer Sterns
    4 Williams dmd games 90s
    4 classic early 80s Balls
    3 classic early 80s Sterns
    2 system 11 games.

I often find I go through spells with each generation. Depending when you asked me over the years I could have sold all my dmds for balls from the 80s or vice versa. However I'm glad for variety. Mix it up a little.

#47 4 years ago

Oops balls should be Ballys

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from nocreditdot:

Oops balls should be Ballys

Well, then in that case, tonight I'll be telling my wife to play with my Ballys.

#49 4 years ago

Advice - temp trade what bores you now for something you'd like time with. When you get it back you can decide better how you feel about it.

As for what gets old - anything over time. I really only partly miss a couple of the games I've sold - Incredible Hulk (GTB Sys 1) and ... well maybe Centaur though it isn't worth the going price to me. I'd take two other Bally/Stern/Wms from that era for the same price. I'm hoping to get my Farfalla working soon so that covers that era. I'd love one EM and one newer Stern (IM, ST). Personally, and I can see many others are in a similar boat, I like variety of era, layout, rules. Some days I'll play through every game I own one at a time, others I'll start playing one game and just can't pull myself away from doing better on that game. I temp-traded Flash Gordon for Atlantis (GTB EM) for several weeks and it was a great trade. I have no intentions of selling my FG but trading was cool, give it a try.

#50 4 years ago

Well lets see I have had TZ for 5 years, Wh2O - 4years, IJ- 4 years, AFM for 3 years, and BSD for 6 months and no plans to trade or sell any of them. The only Stern I still have is LOTR- 3 years. Tron and Iron Man lasted 3 months each . They were both a lot of fun but they lost something. I like most of the newer Sterns but I feel some are too similar and not worth 5-8k.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 30.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 26.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    M&M Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 87.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 7.00
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 27.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 24.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 28.95
    $ 399.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Bent Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Meph's Mods
    $ 74.00
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside