7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Blackbeard
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ted_pinball_1.jpg
    ted_game_room_5.jpg
    centigrade_37_flyer_sign.jpg

#1 7 years ago

Sometimes I get nervous turning on and playing my machines for fear that something will break down.

I also hate when my buddies play sometimes when they wail on the machine.

You guys get nervous ever?

#2 7 years ago

Yep, I do.

Before everyone flames on me, hear me out: I realize things are going to break down on a machine. My fear though, is that I'm having a party this Saturday - I want my guests to enjoy my machines for several hours without them breaking down. If they break down later (which they will, because they are pins), that is cool. However, it would be great if they could just play flawlessly for a few hours during my party.

#3 7 years ago

I've gotten used to the maintenance that comes with pinball ownership. Things just seem to break at the most inopportune times. I try to keep spares of all sorts of things around just in case. I'm never afraid of turning on a machine in fear of a breakdown. I just assume it's gonna happen, and when it doesn't I'm pleasantly surprised.

I'm quite the nudger myself, and all my buddies but a couple seem to tilt and nudge a lot less than I do. I have pincab protectors on my machines and they seem to be able to deal with the amount of nudging they get just fine. I have the tilt bobs in all my machines and they're set to keep people from getting too carried away.

The only thing that bugs me is one friend I have who has the habit of slapping the flipper buttons really hard. I need to talk to him the next time he visits.

#4 7 years ago

I get it Gusphan. I feel the same way, nothing worse than having to shut down a machine people were enjoying.

#5 7 years ago

I agree. My buddies come over to drink a few beers prior to heading out to the bars etc on the weekends. They love to play the pins. This always results in someone owing the first drink etc due to lousing scores.

But, I get nervous that something will breakdown. Cause, if it does, you know that is going to just weighing on you.

Side note: Sabres really blew it last night, didn't they Gusphan?!

#6 7 years ago

Yes, Rum-z: I hate wacking at the flipper buttons. Usually they nail both at the same time. Drives me nuts, but I'm not one to correct another's play.

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Yes, Rum-z: I hate wacking at the flipper buttons. Usually they nail both at the same time. Drives me nuts, but I'm not one to correct another's play.

I know, I hate to say something, and the machine can probably take it just fine, but yeesh... It makes me especially nervous on machines I've redecaled. I have a lot of time in those. I need to put those clear stealth cabinet button protectors decals on all my pins.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

That they did. I was at Thirty Buffalo while the game was on playing some trivia, which soon became far more interesting than the game last night.

#9 7 years ago

Maybe I am wierd or in the minority but I don't mind when things break. When they break I feel like that part must have been on the raggid edge and needed to be fixed anyway, and once the part is fixed or replaced that is one less piece to worry about...make sense?

#10 7 years ago

I think it depends on how comfortable you are fixing things on the pin, as well as ability level.

I just learned how to crimp molex connections.

I can change bulbs and clean etc, but i've never soldered anything.. but will soon learn I suppose.

#11 7 years ago

No, they are made to play, not to look at.

I let my kids play them, friends play them, family, etcetc...if they break, then they get fixed...

You are going to have to learn to solder, if you're going to own pins. It's simple anyhow, you'll see...

#12 7 years ago

Most of my games were crumpled ashtrays of a game when they came in the door.

When I restore them, they get torn down, rebuilt, fixed, etc.

They should be as good as, perhaps better than new.

Parts fail, that's a given. New parts fail, old parts fail.

So, parts could fail - but I'm confident that I could fix them again. And I'm certain they get less abuse in my home than they did on route.

So, I don't worry. If something breaks, I get to enjoy fixing it.

If my guests can't play a particular game for a day or two, they can either play another game, or enjoy my company

#13 7 years ago

A question on soldering: if I had to solder, say a coil under the pf, would I have to flip over the whole playfield, or can one prop it up and solder the spot that way?

#14 7 years ago

Personally I never use the prop bar. It puts too much stress on the playfield art and clearcoat. I raise the playfield until it's vertical and rest it on the backbox. You can do all your soldering repairs from there.

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

A question on soldering: if I had to solder, say a coil under the pf, would I have to flip over the whole playfield, or can one prop it up and solder the spot that way?

Most times you can prop it up and solder away. Sometimes it does call for you to get into precarious positions in order to access the wire but I think pretty much everything can be soldered with the playfield leaning against the back box or pull slightly forward and out.

#16 7 years ago

Thanks fellas.

#17 7 years ago

Blackbeard, your stressing too much. Whats the point of having them, if not to share and enjoy? I just recently jumped into this thing, but both machines I bought had issues. So far, I have been able to fix almost everything. Using the gang here on Pinside, I'm certain you can learn almost anything that your buddies could break.

As for soldering, its easier than it looks. Tons of UTube videos on it. Get some solder and wires from your local Rad-Shack; and start soldering. Pratice is key.

You can do your solder repair with the playfiled up, but its a PIA. Make sure you dont splash solder. Getting solder somewhere it doesnt belong can have nasty consequences. If I solder with the playfiled up, I put something immediately below what I'm soldering just in case something falls.

#18 7 years ago

The prop bar on pins is miserable and should never be used. It only supports one side, so it kinda twists the whole PF a bit.

Never had to get creative for soldering stuff under the PF. Always been able to do it with PF in fully raised position (though if you've got your pins in a line, this may be more difficult, since I've often had to stand to the side of the machine).

I know what you mean about worrying that they'll fail at a party. My machines have been good about that, they only fail after the party (though TZ has done that both times I had a pinball party. Holds up the whole party, then afterwards, all hell breaks loose)

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gusphan:

Yep, I do.
    Before everyone flames on me, hear me out: I realize things are going to break down on a machine. My fear though, is that I'm having a party this Saturday - I want my guests to enjoy my machines for several hours without them breaking down. If they break down later (which they will, because they are pins), that is cool. However, it would be great if they could just play flawlessly for a few hours during my party.

Don't look at it as a problem, but an opportunity.

There is a local Op who has parties at his loft all the time. We all play the games and find what's broken. He fixes it, then they go out on location or he sells them.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Quoted from Gusphan:

That they did. I was at Thirty Buffalo while the game was on playing some trivia, which soon became far more interesting than the game last night.

They are driving me crazy too! They can't seem to finish off chances. Hopefully they get it together soon. After the flop of the Bills this year and the last decade, the Sabres are all we got. Oh well back to the post. I feel exactly the same way as you guys do. Things will go wrong but the point is to enjoy, family and friend love to play them so I fix what ever issue happens when they have a problem. As far as soldering is concerned, I usually will flip the playfied up, just easier for me to get to things. I stick a rag in the ball trough and away I go. I never use the prop bar, puts too much stress on the playfield.

#21 7 years ago

Do you guys attach a cord or something from the backbox to the raised playfield so it doesn't fall?

What about the added stress on the backbox?

#22 7 years ago

The playfield should just be able to lean against the head. I've never used a cord or anything like that...

#23 7 years ago

I never worry about things breaking, but I also have player machines. I figure the worst thing that could happen to them is they never get turned on. I sometimes even like opening them up in front of people so they can see how complicated the machines really are. Everyone is impressed when I open a machine and get a quick fix on it.

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

Most of my games were crumpled ashtrays of a game when they came in the door.
    When I restore them, they get torn down, rebuilt, fixed, etc.
    They should be as good as, perhaps better than new.
    Parts fail, that's a given. New parts fail, old parts fail.
    So, parts could fail - but I'm confident that I could fix them again. And I'm certain they get less abuse in my home than they did on route.
    So, I don't worry. If something breaks, I get to enjoy fixing it.
    If my guests can't play a particular game for a day or two, they can either play another game, or enjoy my company

Blackbeard,

I think we all have felt what you are saying in the past. The above is the disposition you should adopt and the one I have. You will only get better at fixing them as things break and the years go by. Remember, all things can be fixed and most are minor. This hobby is one of the few you can truley share with others...young and old...don't let the fear of somthing breaking interfere with that.

My dad moved in with us last year. Sometimes I feel like his personal tech, but he has played the crap out of all my machines. They get used and he is enjoying himself.

Just kick back and enjoy!

#25 7 years ago

I'm a slapper! I don't care what people do with mine as long as they don't slam tilt them! They were meant to be played, that's what the tilt is for.

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Do you guys attach a cord or something from the backbox to the raised playfield so it doesn't fall?
    What about the added stress on the backbox?

No, just rest it against the backbox. If it is a later model DMD and you need to solder the EOS flipper switches, for example, then pull the playfield out over where the lock down bar connects and rest it on the supports...sit on the floor in front of the coin door and solder away. Many options when working on them, and resting the PF on the bar or against the BB should not make you worry about damage.

A solid investment for under playfield, PF still in the machine, type of work is to purchase a soldering iron that runs on butane. I picked one up for around $40...can't rememeber the name right now, but this frees you from the chord and can aid in getting to the tight spots.

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

I let my kids play them, friends play them, family, etcetc...if they break, then they get fixed...
    You are going to have to learn to solder, if you're going to own pins. It's simple anyhow, you'll see...

+1

I just hate when people flip both flippers.. lol

#28 7 years ago

I had/have this fear when i first got my bad girls and baywatch. The bad girls was a wreck and had corrosion damage and wouldn't boot at all. Once it was working I made some other small repairs. With each repair I make, that fear goes away some. When I first got Baywatch , the very first thing I did was tore it apart, all the ramps, habitrails, guardtower pretty much stripped the playfield except for the ball guides and some things that didn't need to be removed. I cleaned it and it took me an entire weekend but I got it back together and got it all cleaned up and waxed. I learned a lot about what makes it work, just by pulling it apart. Yes I made some minor mistakes putting it back together but I figured out what I did wrong and corrected it. If I can do this with a Baywatch which isn't the easiest to take apart and put back together than anyone can do it. I am coming from no electronics or soldering experience but with the help of the people on here and other places, I am learning a lot about these machines and how to fix them. I got pretty good at soldering and even look forward to soldering now believe it or not. Bottom line is, yes I have the same fear as you but with a few repairs under your belt, the fear should start to go away as you will have more confidence in yourself that you can fix whatever problems may arise.

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

I agree. The only game currently in my collection that I am reluctant to play is SWE1. I have the game up for sale, and the thing is as mint as can be.

#30 7 years ago

I can't do anything to fix a machine! Ok...I can change a bulb! I put this sign on the older machines.

centigrade_37_flyer_sign.jpg

#31 7 years ago

spfxted : Nice pic.. hhaha.. How do you keep your machines up? Repair man?

#32 7 years ago

Yes!...luckly I know a guy about 20 minutes from my house. Next up, he's gonna put the new H/K Ship with the LED's in my T2.

#33 7 years ago

phone

ted_game_room_5.jpg

#35 7 years ago

No nudging?!?! ...but, that's part of the game! I can see asking someone to chill out if they are tilting like crazy - but no nudging?

#36 7 years ago

If your not nudging your not playing pinball, especially EMs, you need to go to a tourney like Papa and see how the nudging goes or watch some videos of Bowen, thats why games have a tilt bob, your supposed to push them around and know where the tilt threshold is...nudge, slap saves etc all part of the game - before there were flippers there was nudging.

#37 7 years ago

I have a super-mint BSD and an extremely nice MB that I not only encourage everyone to play, but I have taken to the Texas Pinball Fest the last several years for the general public to beat on them. I enjoy seeing others enjoy my games. They are way too expensive for just me... if nobody else got to play them, I'd feel like I'm wasting a bunch of money.

-Craig

#38 7 years ago

No fear turning on the machine due to the fact I enjoy repairing and tinkering with pins as much as playing.

Nudging is all good, wailing or sliding a machine back and forth a couple of feet is just a lack of respect to the machine and the hobby.

#39 7 years ago

Yeah, you're probably right. I just thought nudging was there because there were no flippers. I also thought the Tilt was there to keep you from nudging. Hey!...I'm learning!

#40 7 years ago

more

ted_pinball_1.jpg

#41 7 years ago

Loving that Centigrade 37 good game!!

#42 7 years ago

I love c37!!

Also they are MEANT to be nudged, that's why you can adjust the tilt sensitivity and even the number of warnings...

#43 7 years ago

It seems like they always break when you have people over playing them, or worse yet, when you are trying to sell one.

#44 7 years ago

I hate to admit it but when small ones step up and just start slapping the flipper buttons as fast and as hard as they can I find myself thinking it may be time for a flipper rebuild. However, usually I love when people enjoy playing my pins it puts a smile on my face. They will always require maintenance sooner or later and I agree they are made to be played.

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from fxdwgmb:

Nudging is all good, wailing or sliding a machine back and forth a couple of feet is just a lack of respect to the machine and the hobby.

I love having people over to play my games, but if they start wailing on the flippers I let them know about it. It's usually the young kids, but not always.Once I show them the proper way to play, it's not a problem. I don't mind them nudging the machine, just don't make it slide on the floor. Even though it's true that these pins were meant to be played, there is to much money in some of my games for them to get beat around.

#46 7 years ago

I need to get a phone like that.

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from BrianZ:

Blackbeard, your stressing too much.

Big +1!
    Man, you are going to be one BALD cat if you keep stressing yourself out like that BB!
    YouTube has your back for pinball tips and maintenance vids, Pinball forums have many hidden gems lurking for different game issues and BevMo (or Total Wine & More) has your back for when the other two things come up empty handed!
    Good luck and play fear-free!

#48 7 years ago

I work on most of my games, but I have to admit that I get nervous after putting a bunch of time and money into working on boards and then turning it on. Will it work? Will another transistor blow up? Will I be able to fix it? Or will I have to have someone else fix it? Just got a WWF working after owning it for 2 years. Put in a bad power supply and it did some major damage. This had to be taken care of by a professional. Meaning more cash. I'm not as worried about people playing them as I am about electrical stuff going haywire. Mechanical stuff is no problem, but the board stuff can drive me crazy! I always am thinking, every time I remove a connector it is taking some life off that connector and the pins. Just got a new solder sucker and it is making a huge difference on working on the boards.

I cringe at the thought of someone machine gunning the flippers, but I really worry about replacing an IC chip that I don't know how to track down or test.

By the way Rob Anthony (locked when lit) does nice work.

#49 7 years ago

Yeah, the phone is cool! It surprises people when it actually rings! They think it's a prop.

#50 7 years ago

Thanks Nimble (and everyone else).

I've only been into pins since late summertime, but have learned a ton since then. I don't worry so much about the boards, as I don't mind sending them out to coin op... it's just the wiring that I can't send out.. the soldering, the replacing of coils, etc that scares me (at this point at least).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 89.99
    £ 29.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 75.00
    $ 19.95
    € 159.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    FlipperLED
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    DBC Pinball
    Electronics
    TheDudeMods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    £ 58.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 17.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 23.25
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 156.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside