(Topic ID: 295750)

Anyone else get sweaty palms when the storms come?

By Chisox

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by mbwalker
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    jan2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lermods.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

I am definitely going to look into a second pump on a separate breaker and possibly making my pit deeper. Insurance is through typical insurer.

Problem is what if your power goes off, which is often when you need the pump the most. Invest in a generator. Portable or whole house, but you need back up. I have two pumps, one on each side of the house. One has a backup battery, but both are hooked to my generator transfer switch. I have never had water in my basement and both my pits are bone dry, but I still worry given all the work I’ve done to my basement.

Sump pump failure insurance is lame because it’s limited to like $5k.

#26 2 years ago

You are lucky, we have well and septic. No power, no water.

#36 2 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

I grew up this way so I can relate. To this day when the power goes out I STILL act like….awe darn, can’t take a shower.
    There are benefits and drawbacks. If I had a well I could ignore the city watering rules. No water bill except when a repair bill comes. I suppose it’s (wait for it) a wash.
    I don’t miss the extremely high iron levels.

I’m not a fan of well and septic systems. No water bill, but components are expensive to replace, pump, tank, softener, etc. I personally don’t have iron issues and we have a good system, but replacing the septic system (and the mess that goes along with it) will far outweigh the quarterly water bill. Even though water is basically free, you can’t run multiple loads of laundry every day or take 10 min showers if you want your septic system to last. I’ll be happier i think when my next house is back on city water.

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

So we’re at about 4 to 5” of rain with more to come tomorrow and the Zoeller is going like a champ. It’s cycling on every 30 seconds. My brother (who lives in the same town) had his main pump, backup, and two pool pumps going and still had an inch of water. Mother nature can be a real bitch.

I feel your pain, hopefully it stops soon. I usually have my eyes glued to the radar when we have heavy storms. I’m surprised the Midwest has so much rain from a storm moving northwest, where does all that moisture come from? We get a lot of rain as moisture is pulled from the Gulf and the Atlantic. Worst we’ve ever had here is 8” over 2 days and I had no issues. 4” is usually the max. Sweaty palms though for sure and I don’t sleep well.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lermods.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-else-get-sweaty-palms-when-the-storms-come?tu=lermods and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.