(Topic ID: 295750)

Anyone else get sweaty palms when the storms come?

By Chisox

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by mbwalker
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    jan2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kruzman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 2 years ago

I have spent some good money on lightning protection, because one night while watching tv, the set pop'ed. And dead. The lightning got in to the co-ax 75 ohm cable. It pop'ed both tvs and one was not on. No pins hurt because it didnt get in the regular electrical system.
    Now I run around and pull plugs anyway. Monster makes some good line conditioners. My voltage ranges from 114-122, and I have so tube type audio gear, plus the pins to loose. I highly suggest the Monster power boxes from my experience. They have protection as well as conditioner for like 10 plugs plus co-ax and also phone lines.

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

I have a couple of these (I have two breaker boxes) for the power line protection coming into the house. Then have suppressors at the outlets. Nothing will survive a direct hit - but I do what I can. They snap into an unused breaker location and cover both poles of the AC.
    Regarding your TV's - you can get lightning arrestors for the antenna coax line. Here's a quick Amazon search.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Ah, fantastic! thank you. On my main breaker box, will one handle both poles, or both sides? or do I need 2?
    I am not a big fan of the net, mostly because of social media gone wrong, but getting info/suggestions like this is awesome. also looking up how to do something on u tube. bless those people who make those videos.
    Oh and of course pinside. robin and the moderators do a great job.

I think storms in this area are getting way worse. we rarely just have a light rain day. This weekend we are suppose to get 5--7 in of rain with constant threat of lightning and hail.

I was a builder for 21 years, and if I still was, I would constantly be thinking of ways to anticipate the effects and damage from the crazy weather

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from ritch12345:

Take it from a plumber.... Nine times out of ten it is a grading problem. Add topsoil and plant grass against the house and pitch away from house. Extend rain gutters and next time it rains... go outside and make sure they are not clogged and overflowing like a waterfall. Get the water away from the foundation. I have changed hundreds of sump pumps in my career and installed many water backup pumps and battery backup pumps. Liberty in my opinion makes the best pump. It is more of a failing sump pump switch than the motor itself being the problem. If you have a window with a dug out well, get a plastic dome.
    Make sure sump discharge is away from the house so it does not drain back through the outside wall and come back into the pit.

all very good advice and not that expensive. water is the enemy. I am house poor for 6 more years and 3 months, so I worry every time we get this crap. The river bend is 50 ft from my house, and it is above the bank and raging. Looks like 60% chance of rain every day till friday for south MI. I wrote a friend friday morning that I was one more camel straw from going postal.

If the sub pumps were going on every minute, I would be really worried also. I have had bad experience trying to get money out of the insurance company, so I dont even expect anything from them.

The pic is looking out my window on NYE

jan2 (resized).jpgjan2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kruzman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-else-get-sweaty-palms-when-the-storms-come?tu=kruzman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.