(Topic ID: 295750)

Anyone else get sweaty palms when the storms come?

By Chisox

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by mbwalker
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    jan2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chisox.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Sitting here in my basement in the middle of a three day midwest thunderstorm with my pins and other electronics and praying that sump pump keeps up is something that’s getting old.

I have a raised ranch so my basement is super wide and downhill so I get a lot of water that gets pumped out so the sump is super active and swapped out every couple years. I have a water powered back up sump that kicks ass in case of power loss or sump pump failure. I have water sensor alarms set up and have flood insurance but still have nightmares about walking down the stairs to…. Anyone else ?

Is there something I’m missing that will help me sleep ? I had no idea how evil water was until I bought a house.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from shlt_thunder:

My pin is upstairs but if I end up getting more before moving to a larger house, I fear that I might end up in a similar situation. My thought is that while the legs would get damaged it’s unlikely water would reach the cabinet and the legs could be replaced? Has anyone ever had experience with that?

Not sure but it seems every year we get those “once in a lifetime” 6 inch rainstorms and I’ve seen the aftermath and it’s ungood.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Get a second electric sump pump. A sump pump is a single point failure - meaning no backup plan. If it goes out, you'll be in a world of hurt. You mentioned the water powered backup - but can it keep up? So I'm not sure if that is adequate if you have concerns already. Just do this - unplug the main pump and see if the water backup can keep up during these storms (we're getting the same ones).
    I have two sump pumps, each on a seperate breaker and separate PVC runs. And one is also battery backup model. And a Generac outside. But even if you just use a single PVC run and tie them together, still a heck of a lot better than doing nothing if the main pump fails. Even a cheap Harbor Freight one is better than nothing.
    Ditto on the french drain, best to never have to pump it out in the first place. But a 2nd sump pump is a quick way to help eliminate problems.
    What size is your current sump pump? 1/3hp, 1/2hp?

I use 1/2 hp cast iron Zoeller pumps. The water backup has been triggered and can keep up during storms during power loss or when there’s a problem with the main pump. I thought about having a second pit dug and/or adding a second electric pump. I also have flood insurance and coverage for the toys in the basement. All downspouts are connected to pvc underground that takes the rain water at least 30 ft away from the house. We’ve had 3 inches of rain already and it’s going to pour for two more days…good times!

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

I have both pumps in a single pit (pit isn't anything special other than being deeper). Not trying to twist your arm about a 2nd pump, just that it might be easier than you think. Especially if you have some very basic plumbing skills. If you don't have room, I'd just buy another pump and stick it on a shelf as backup insurance.
    Your flood ins.: Is that the FEMA policy (i.e. a real flood) or just thru you typical residential policy (i.e. State arm, Allstate, etc.)? My State Farm policy covers sump pump failure, but I also bought a preferred rate FEMA policy since the area I live at is newly developed and I just was a little worried just in case the developer screwed up something or we got one of the 'once in a 100 years' rains. That wasn't covered by State farm.
    Sorry, don't mean to sound like I'm nagging. I finished the basement a number of years ago and go out of my way to keep it dry! Pins, bar, theater, etc., so a bit of an investment down there.

I am definitely going to look into a second pump on a separate breaker and possibly making my pit deeper. Insurance is through typical insurer.

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Problem is what if your power goes off, which is often when you need the pump the most. Invest in a generator. Portable or whole house, but you need back up. I have two pumps, one on each side of the house. One has a backup battery, but both are hooked to my generator transfer switch. I have never had water in my basement and both my pits are bone dry, but I still worry given all the work I’ve done to my basement.
    Sump pump failure insurance is lame because it’s limited to like $5k.

My backup is water powered so it works when the power is off. Generator is on the agenda as well.

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from indybru:

I also have flood insurance and coverage for the toys in the basement.
    Hey John, just a heads up. I have flood insurance also, but a NFIP flood policy doesn't cover anything below ground level other than mechanicals. My home is a ranch so first floor damage could be a lot of damage. The only way to cover weather related water damage in basement is with the backup sewer and drain endorsement coverage. That endorsement excludes flood though.
    Cheers.

Thanks for the info Bruce! Now if I could just get this rain to stop!

#35 2 years ago

So we’re at about 4 to 5” of rain with more to come tomorrow and the Zoeller is going like a champ. It’s cycling on every 30 seconds. My brother (who lives in the same town) had his main pump, backup, and two pool pumps going and still had an inch of water. Mother nature can be a real bitch.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chisox.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-else-get-sweaty-palms-when-the-storms-come?tu=chisox and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.