(Topic ID: 100770)

Anyone drive for fake picture ad on craigslist?

By gameon46

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 59 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Pincushion
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

If a seller uses pics that are not of the exact same machine, then the ethical and proper thing to do is at least briefly mention this in the for sale ad.
    Did the deceitful basturd do this in this sale?
    Note: For any grammar-police out there, I intentionally spelled a certain word the way i did.

If something seems too good to be true it probably is. Before making a long drive I would have asked if the ad had pictures of the actual machine for sale. Easy yes or no answer.

One thing I like about using google chrome is you can right click an image and choose to search google for it.

Sorry you wasted a trip out there. I did the same thing but drove 5.5 hours! I bought the game but ended up parting it out. Got my money back at least. Now you have a story to tell.

#52 9 years ago
    Quoted from gameon46:

All the time hardware! Most games are way over priced anyway. So why pay a bunch for a game that's dirty as hell and needs rebuilt. That means way over priced.
    You should try to get the better end of deal. Your the buyer with the cash!!! Lol

Darn! Maybe my collection could be doubled right now. lol OK. I will try my best and report back. Although I know Rick won't take $4,000 for MMR LE so I'll have to wait a bit before I give this avenue a shot.

#53 9 years ago

Pinball4life, would you inquire about a pinball machine that's advertised with no photos? If you would, would you actually travel any distance without first seeing a photo?

While I agree that a lot can be gained by talking with the person on the phone, there's on way I'd travel any distance without first seeing pictures of a game. Sure, they can doctor the photos, but in general, selling a game, and not even bothering to post a picture of it in your ad tells me something about you as a seller.

To me, not posting a picture tells me that you think all games are essentially equal and that condition doesn't really matter. In my experience, rarely is the advertisement for a game without pictures worth persuing.

Dave

#54 9 years ago

Yes dammit. I drove a whole 4.6 miles to see this garbage!

Anyway, I got there and the cabinet is rough and planking, the bottom is falling out, and the inner backglass has lost most all of it's alien graphics. Lights up only, BUT it was complete. Playfield was the only redeeming quality that it's wear really wasn't bad ad all. MPU had battery damage all over the bottom.

I knew the picture would not be a picture of what it really was, but it was SO close I had to take a look.

chicago.craigslist.org link

#55 9 years ago

reverse image search would have told you that wasn't the game being advertised.

#56 9 years ago

Forgot about a reverse image search. When purchasing a pinball machine or any expensive item you are not making an investment in the item but rather the seller. If you know nothing about seller which includes no references or people vouching for the person it would be a gamble with extreme risk to purchase the item.

#57 9 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

It looks like the guy just did an image search and swiped the photos from elsewhere:

You nailed it!

#58 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

reverse image search would have told you that wasn't the game being advertised

Yes, yes, yes. You already posted blaming the victim earlier in this thread, yet you feel the need to do it again.

Quoted from pezpunk:

you offer $500 for a pristine gorgar listed at $1000, he accepts, and then you complain that it wasn't legit? you know what they say, you can't con an honest man. usually it's people looking to pull one over on someone else that end up getting their time wasted (or money taken)

1 month later
    #59 9 years ago

I was duped into driving an 8 hour, 600 mile roundtrip from San Antonio to McAllen, Texas, back in April. I was to buy 4 games at a decent price and the guy told me they were 95% working. The pics were decent, albeit a little dark, so I talked my girlfriend into coming with me, as neither one of us had ever been to the Valley before. Once I arrived, the guy had the 4 games out and ready to load. Two of the games wouldn't even start, all of them looked like they were out in the elements for months, and the backglass on two of them were almost completely flaked away like no other game I had ever seen before. I would not even had accepted any of the games for free, if ha had offered. Needless to say, I was livid and my girlfriend was trying to support my hobby, but this failed mission put a damper on her view of my love for the silverball. I decided to turn the long dry haul into a beach trip for us, so it wasn't a total wash, but I am learning to be be careful when taking a strangers word.

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-drive-for-fake-picture-ad-on-craigslist/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.