Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by loneacer
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1CC0AE38-CBD6-4FFE-BA2A-3B083191D838 (resized).jpeg

#1 5 years ago

Wondering if anyone on here drives a big rig for a living. I am a pinball collector but also in the trucking industry. I can hook you up with solid work as well.

#2 5 years ago

Really cool of you to offer good work to other pinsiders.

If you don't mind me suggesting, possibly your thread title should be edited to be more specific to freight transport trucks. I thought this was another pickup truck thread...

#3 5 years ago

Dont drive for a living but my 2 trucks help me make a living . Hauled 350,000 bushels grain this fall and this old rig ran like a champ

1CC0AE38-CBD6-4FFE-BA2A-3B083191D838 (resized).jpeg1CC0AE38-CBD6-4FFE-BA2A-3B083191D838 (resized).jpeg
    #4 5 years ago
    Quoted from WolfManCat:

If you don't mind me suggesting, possibly your thread title should be edited to be more specific to freight transport trucks. I thought this was another pickup truck thread...

Possibly eliminating the “a” in the thread title would clear up the confusion. The phrase “Drive truck” would be more appropriate for big rigs.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from Appstatebeaver:

Wondering if anyone on here drives a big rig for a living. I am a pinball collector but also in the trucking industry. I can hook you up with solid work as well.

I'm training for my CDL class A as we speak. Hope to be on the road soon.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from plowpusher:

Dont drive for a living but my 2 trucks help me make a living . Hauled 350,000 bushels grain this fall and this old rig ran like a champ
    [quoted image]

I’m usually the one who is in our combine harvesting most of our crops, but I do occasionally jump in one of our two trucks (Freightliners) and take a load somewhere.

#8 5 years ago

I have had my cdl a since 2000 and been with different companys since then. Working all instate deliveries but money is great where I'm at now.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from plowpusher:

[quoted image]

I like that you have a Timpte Super Hopper there. Built just down the road in David City. I used to call on them in my prior job I retired from. One of my favorite customers... .

#10 5 years ago

Wait a minute!! Are you saying that plow boys, grain haulers and freight movers have pinball machines also? All this time I thought it was only doctors and lawyers that got to have those kinda upscale toys

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Wait a minute!! Are you saying that plow boys, grain haulers and freight movers have pinball machines also? All this time I thought it was only doctors and lawyers that got to have those kinda upscale toys

I know a truck driver that makes most Doctors only wish that had his money.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

I know a truck driver that makes most Doctors only wish that had his money.

Yes it's quite comical the lack of respect truckers get. Most people would be shocked if they knew the earning potential that a trucker has.

#13 5 years ago

That is very true. I remember when we moved into a new housing area, there was a questioner as to what do you do? Other then I think it is none of the neighbors business, a cop listed himself "law enforcement" The truck driver "transportation". Sounds like they don't even want to say it.

#14 5 years ago

I've written software for 3 different freight companies. Does that count? Freight carriers are in high demand right now. We had a guy last week ask for $4800 to deliver a load 900 miles. He didn't get the deal. Seems a bit crazy for a truck driver to want $300/hr when software developers with 15-20 years of experience only make like $60/hr in this part of the country.

#15 5 years ago

Owner-Operator paying for his tractor & Trailer has many costs to pay. If we're talking about a Truckload haul 53' trailer, the $5.33/mile usually yields 20% for wages so $1.06/mile which is low for an owner operator.

Truck payment, Trailer payment, Insurance payment, food, fuel, DEF, maintenance, meals.... Refrigerated load cost more as a Refrigerated trailer costs $50-60K versus $24K for a Dry Van

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from loneacer:

I've written software for 3 different freight companies. Does that count? Freight carriers are in high demand right now. We had a guy last week ask for $4800 to deliver a load 900 miles. He didn't get the deal. Seems a bit crazy for a truck driver to want $300/hr when software developers with 15-20 years of experience only make like $60/hr in this part of the country.

For $300 hr you get the truck ,trailer ,operator, fuel to run truck and insurance to cover damage to the load its really not crazy at all

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from plowpusher:

For $300 hr you get the truck ,trailer ,operator, fuel to run truck and insurance to cover damage to the load its really not crazy at all

I think we ended up paying around $1600 for that load.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from loneacer:

I think we ended up paying around $1600 for that load.

Always seems to be the guy who's looking for the cheapest freight bill is the very 1st one to bitch when his load doesn't make it on time or it doesn't make it at all. Never wants to question the fact that he got the bottom of the barrel driver whose mptto is "drive fast and take chances". I believe the moral of the story here is you get what you pay for! The average person has Zero clue what an IFTA sticker is and what kind of crazy ass fuel taxes that drivers and companies have to pay.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Always seems to be the guy who's looking for the cheapest freight bill is the very 1st one to bitch when his load doesn't make it on time or it doesn't make it at all. Never wants to question the fact that he got the bottom of the barrel driver whose mptto is "drive fast and take chances". I believe the moral of the story here is you get what you pay for! The average person has Zero clue what an IFTA sticker is and what kind of crazy ass fuel taxes that drivers and companies have to pay.

Purchased a game from the gentleman who prints those IFTA stickers, ( and tons of other types) never knew what they were and now see them everytime a semi rolls through.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

I'm not on the freight side of the business, I just write the software to simplify and manage it. This particular shipper has a 6-figure daily freight bill. They trust us to weed out the bottom of the barrel carriers. To them, if we can get their loads where they are going safely and on time for $100k, that's preferable to $250k for the same level of service. There's plenty of good drivers out there that also have good rates.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from loneacer:

He probably didn’t want the load. Does that count?

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

He probably didn’t want the load. Does that count?

Yep. After the broker hung up with him he said if you don't want the load just say so, don't ask for three times our offer.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-drive-a-truck-?hl=frippertron and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.