(Topic ID: 243180)

LETS Drill BK3000 to properly add magnasave button? NEED a template from BK BK2K

By Whysnow

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 246 posts
  • 96 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Chalkey
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FE075297-19AA-4E0D-8340-A97DC8F8ABA3 (resized).jpeg
26E29C7C-3879-4725-9A22-31446B2F983D (resized).png
EAF40DE7-058D-4012-BC5C-04FD29F47990 (resized).jpeg
20200531_164705 (resized).jpg
20200531_163855 (resized).jpg
20200531_003555 (resized).jpg
20200530_131027 (resized).jpg
20200530_100236 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
2019-06-24 19_20_09-back to the future meme chicken - Saferbrowser Image Search Results - Internet E (resized).png
A1C11422-3FFA-4153-813B-E582C1D94B24.jpeg
31E7ADAC-42CB-46A5-9B2B-2159425C985F (resized).jpeg
pincab (resized).JPG
70D0EA81-F2CC-45DE-8FD3-831A71CF7024 (resized).jpeg
Drilling BK Imamaculately.JPG
535-7297-02.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Sorry if this have been covered elsewhere (pls link if so).
The lock down bar button is pretty much pointless for the mangasave.
Has anyone drilled their cab yet to add a 3rd button?

Can you just tap into the existing switch to double up for player option?
Does it work better in this position for reaction time?

Is the magnet itself to far over to properly save and it is not merely the lock down button placement that sucks?

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

"Pretty much pointless". You guys are so dramatic.

not really being dramatic, just factual.

I am really digging BK3000, but the one real flaw is the magnasave on the lockdown. Look at Bk and BK2000, what % of the time are you able to save an outlane drain on the right with a lit magnasave? For me, it is probably 50%

BK3000... maybe 5% and that is due to it only being worthwhile with a super slow roller and you execute for the safety net and not the real magnasave.

To me this is due to my slower reaction time and need to plan ahead for the slap all the way over the top to the lock down bar.

Back on topic, have anyone drilled the cab yet? Thoughts on placement? Any issues with placement and cab internals?
Did it help return the intended "feel" of the magnasave to what it should be?

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I would temp wire a foot pedal first, before drilling.

That was a discussion point.

Know any good pedals that would work easily for this?

I figure it would be easy to wire out the speaker hole.

I am guessing a foot pedal while cool, won’t have the response time needed or equal to the OG placement.

#64 4 years ago
Quoted from TheRudyB:

alters the game significantly from the designer's intention.

What about if the designer intended the button to be in the right location but his employer removed it from the design (because “it has to be on the lockdown bar so new people will use it”)

Talk to the designer before assuming he intended it to be in the lockdown...

#68 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Why would you put the onus on some other dude you're the one who started this.
Don't see any sawdust in this post. Meow.

What is your issue with me? The constant personal attacks are getting old already.

#92 4 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

While I understand the "awkward" and "not where we are used to it being" arguments, I do not think that is the main issue with the magnasave on this game. I'm pretty sure the low percentage of saves has more to do with magnet placement and/or strength than it does with button placement. I had a number of games where my hand was hovering over the button, hit it at exactly the "right" time, and watched the ball fly down the outlane anyway. It simply is no where near as effective as the ones on the original BK or any other magnasave game that I have played (and I've played most if not all of them). I'm still glad they brought the feature back, and it in no way ruins the game for me, but it's a bit of a bummer. I hold out some hope that the power can be tweaked in future code that will help, but I'm not holding my breath.
As for the drilling issue...if it were me I would definitely try simulating it with a temporary fix before drilling my cab. I'm sure you could rig up some sort of simple "stick on" button rig and run the wires through the coin door or the vent holes in the bottom. That way you can see if it helps timing, and get the position just right before making sawdust.
My hunch, it will increase magnasave effectivity by exactly 0%. I'd like to be wrong though. I am also in the camp that would be concerned about resale value. Even if done "right" and looking factory, I'm not sure I would want that kind of permanent change on a game I am buying. If done sloppy or if it is awkward with the artwork, even worse. At least keep it within the area a lollipop rail would cover.
All just my opinion though...I firmly believe that if it's your game, you should do what you want to get the most enjoyment out of it. Just be aware the next potential owner might not agree and that may affect the value. Most mod choices are easy to reverse if that's the case. This one, not so easy.

Thanks Jedi.

This perfectly answers why I started this thread.
I too was curious if the lack of being effective was due to the lock down placement or also due to the magnet location/power.

With multiple posts about it not being just due to reaction time/physical button location it seems like a bad idea to drill only to find out that the magnasave still does not work as originally intended.

I wonder if there is a way to make a stick on button and wire it out the right leg (utlizing the gap from the cab leg protector?)
Would be a great and removable mod to make!

#94 4 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Are you serious with the foot petal thing? I thought you were kidding....

foot pedal would be VERY neat and goes well with the rocking music!

#99 4 years ago
Quoted from fxdwg:

someone send me a template from an original BK or BK2K, and Ill take the plunge and be the first... and IF I ever want to sell the machine, and the buyer gives me crap about, then go away. don't buy my machine!

sweet!

Ill change the thread title to try and find someone willing to make a template.

#168 4 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

You would only want the extra button on the right side though, not the left side too. Correct? There is only one magnet, and its on the right side, no need for two buttons to be drilled.

honestly, I would be completely fine with a left side button. The game is pretty heavy on the right hand flipper and any shot going down the right outlane has me likely more concerned with the right hand/flipper action, so using a secondary left button would not be a bad thing in my mind.

#179 4 years ago
Quoted from guymontag451:

I actually see the placement of the button on the lockdown bar as a plus, not as a minus for the game. Slapping the button on top is fun and demonstrative. And I have not found the placement to impede my ability to utilize the magnasave when I play the game.
I think what is really fascinating about the criticism surrounding the game's magnasave is based on the positioning of the button, rather than the strength or positioning of the magnet itself. It's much less effective at pulling balls directly from the below the post in the outlane than in the previous Black Knight games. I do not find that button on the side of the cabinet helps this.
I feel as though that would be drawing the ire of pinsiders more than than the button placement, but then again maybe these people just haven't got enough plays on the game yet to determine this and hence believe that it's solely a button placement issue for them.
Personally I love the game, much more than the previous Black Knight games. I find that the new magnasave is totally usable and fun as is, but will acknowledge that if you are expecting similar ball saving heroics to the originals, you will likely be disappointed, button placement aside. And I think that more than likely this has to do mostly with the placement of the magnet itself under the playfield that Stern chose to use. It is too high above the inlane on BKSOR to be as effective as the originals. I really think that with more plays the community will start to see this more. I would recommend that anyone interested in the hole drilling tries something non invasive first like the pedal idea or even the stick on button concept, simply because you might find that although you prefer the new button placement that you installed on your game, you still hate the lower effectiveness of the magnasave itself and this permanent mod might not have solved the issue for you.
Just my .02 after putting on an estimated 250+ plays so far in the last month.

In case it was not clear, I really wanted to find out if the issue lies in the position of the button (reaction time) or the magnet position and strength, or a combination.

1 year later
#229 3 years ago

i assume this is a huge improvement.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 1,499.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Wanted
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-drill-bk3000-to-properly-add-magnasave-button?tu=whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.