(Topic ID: 243180)

LETS Drill BK3000 to properly add magnasave button? NEED a template from BK BK2K

By Whysnow

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 246 posts
  • 96 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Chalkey
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FE075297-19AA-4E0D-8340-A97DC8F8ABA3 (resized).jpeg
26E29C7C-3879-4725-9A22-31446B2F983D (resized).png
EAF40DE7-058D-4012-BC5C-04FD29F47990 (resized).jpeg
20200531_164705 (resized).jpg
20200531_163855 (resized).jpg
20200531_003555 (resized).jpg
20200530_131027 (resized).jpg
20200530_100236 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
2019-06-24 19_20_09-back to the future meme chicken - Saferbrowser Image Search Results - Internet E (resized).png
A1C11422-3FFA-4153-813B-E582C1D94B24.jpeg
31E7ADAC-42CB-46A5-9B2B-2159425C985F (resized).jpeg
pincab (resized).JPG
70D0EA81-F2CC-45DE-8FD3-831A71CF7024 (resized).jpeg
Drilling BK Imamaculately.JPG
535-7297-02.jpg
There are 246 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 4 years ago

Sorry if this have been covered elsewhere (pls link if so).
The lock down bar button is pretty much pointless for the mangasave.
Has anyone drilled their cab yet to add a 3rd button?

Can you just tap into the existing switch to double up for player option?
Does it work better in this position for reaction time?

Is the magnet itself to far over to properly save and it is not merely the lock down button placement that sucks?

#2 4 years ago

I’ve heard a few guys talk about doing that. I’d personally like the button in the old school spot. Great idea

#3 4 years ago

"Pretty much pointless". You guys are so dramatic.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

"Pretty much pointless". You guys are so dramatic.

not really being dramatic, just factual.

I am really digging BK3000, but the one real flaw is the magnasave on the lockdown. Look at Bk and BK2000, what % of the time are you able to save an outlane drain on the right with a lit magnasave? For me, it is probably 50%

BK3000... maybe 5% and that is due to it only being worthwhile with a super slow roller and you execute for the safety net and not the real magnasave.

To me this is due to my slower reaction time and need to plan ahead for the slap all the way over the top to the lock down bar.

Back on topic, have anyone drilled the cab yet? Thoughts on placement? Any issues with placement and cab internals?
Did it help return the intended "feel" of the magnasave to what it should be?

#5 4 years ago

If I owned this game I think I would drill the third hole, go for it!

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Thoughts on placement?

I’ve played 3 different Pros now and I agree I’m magnasaving maybe 5% of the time.

I think if one is going to do this mod, the ideal placement is the same distance and angle as Munsters Prem/LE. That way it will look “factory” in a lineup that contains Munsters and any other future titles that have multiple buttons on the RHS.

#7 4 years ago

Talked about it at PATZ. It would more convienant to move the button. Following the first 2 games pattern.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

I’ve played 3 different Pros now and I agree I’m magnasaving maybe 5% of the time.
I think if one is going to do this mod, the ideal placement is the same distance and angle as Munsters Prem/LE. That way it will look “factory” in a lineup that contains Munsters and any other future titles that have multiple buttons on the RHS.

Why would you not use the same positioning as previous games?

#9 4 years ago

I would temp wire a foot pedal first, before drilling.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I would temp wire a foot pedal first, before drilling.

That was a discussion point.

Know any good pedals that would work easily for this?

I figure it would be easy to wire out the speaker hole.

I am guessing a foot pedal while cool, won’t have the response time needed or equal to the OG placement.

#11 4 years ago

The magnasave is a joke on the game .

The button on the side would feel better to hit but I don't think it matters. The magnet is either too far away from the outlane or not strong enough to grab the ball.

Only works when it's like a slow ball and 50+% chance it'll inlane anyways. Never had it worked when I 100% needed it, only when I did it where it probably was gonna be safe anyways or when the ball is bouncing back up the playfield rather than into the outlane.

Is there a magnet strength setting?

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

The magnasave is a joke on the game .
The button on the side would feel better to hit but I don't think it matters. The magnet is either too far away from the outlane or not strong enough to grab the ball.
Only works when it's like a slow ball and 50+% chance it'll inlane anyways. Never had it worked when I 100% needed it, only when I did it where it probably was gonna be safe anyways or when the ball is bouncing back up the playfield rather than into the outlane.
Is there a magnet strength setting?

Yeah, even with my hand over the button ready, there are a ton of times the magnet just can't manage to grab the ball when it clearly should be able to. I've seen my original black knight pull a screaming ball like two inches away back into play

Does anyone know the specs on the magnet? Is it recessed as deep?

#13 4 years ago

That sucks, I remember when I owned an original BK it would grab a ball that was an inch down the outlane and hauling ass, and pull it right back up...
How can they mess up on a tried and true system

#14 4 years ago

I’m sure with all the 3D printing options available someone could come up with a design to mold the right flipper button and a secondary magna-save button together so no drilling would be necessary, maybe a design similar to a Pin2000 style flipper button.

5BE11AFA-4D0D-4F50-B0B7-698572A3F5BB (resized).png5BE11AFA-4D0D-4F50-B0B7-698572A3F5BB (resized).png

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

That was a discussion point.
Know any good pedals that would work easily for this?
I figure it would be easy to wire out the speaker hole.
I am guessing a foot pedal while cool, won’t have the response time needed or equal to the OG placement.

Sorry, I dont specifically, but I have some somewhere at work that attached to a flex shaft, or a music pedal.....but I
like the Pinball 2000 option...does it have the same hole size to slip in?

#16 4 years ago

Any original black knight I've played if the ball was committed to the outlane it was gone. The magna-save would ensure a 50-50 ball ends up in the inlane and nothing more.

If you guys want to test it out just run some alligator clips from the button leaf switch tabs out the coin door, painter tape another leaf switch to the side rail. The game plays with the coin door open right? Or you could temp remove the coin reject buttons until you decide you love it and go the hole saw route.

First one with the grapes to make sawdust wins me posting a "Picard with head in hand" meme.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Any original black knight I've played if the ball was committed to the outlane it was gone. The magna-save would ensure a 50-50 ball ends up in the inlane and nothing more.

Play a better copy? I've seen many with weak magnets if they haven't been fixed up properly

#18 4 years ago

my original bk magnet would suck the balls off superman.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

Lmao!
-Mike

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

not really being dramatic, just factual.

I use it successfully all the time. Even on the *GASP* dreaded lockdown bar! It is a little overstated when you called it pretty much pointless. But hey, you want to drill an extra hole into your game, knock yourself out. Just remember, if you go through all the effort to drill a hole and run another button to that switch, and you still don't have the reaction time to save your ball......you just lost your most valuable excuse. "DAMN BUTTON IS IN THE WRONG SPOT!"

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Sorry, I dont specifically, but I have some somewhere at work that attached to a flex shaft, or a music pedal.....but I
like the Pinball 2000 option...does it have the same hole size to slip in?

I’d put a 1/4” jack on the bottom of the cabinet and then a ts cable (standard guitar or keyboard cable) to a momentary sustain pedal. Momentary will connect the circuit as long as it’s pressed (does not latch).

—Kevin

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

Needs to go on a T-shirt!

#23 4 years ago

Lame! Deal with it

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Is the magnet itself to far over to properly save and it is not merely the lock down button placement that sucks?

No but seems like a good idea. Can you do it and report back? I'd like to know as well so I can do it yo mine.

#25 4 years ago

The extra buttons on Munsters are WAY too close for this purpose. I would be hitting it all the time by mistake and wasting my magnasaves.

Steve would say that you need to play better.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

The extra buttons on Munsters are WAY too close for this purpose.

+1
i dont like where there are...

same position as BK & BK2K seems perfect

#27 4 years ago

Possibly a hole in cabinet wouldnt be needed. Im wondering if an original button could be hollowed out and have a small hole in center where finger would activate magna save via 2nd switch?

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Guitar Foot pedal. I’d do that the second i got the machine.

#29 4 years ago

Owning both BK and BK2K. If I bought a BKSOR it would be the first thing I did. Already was chatting about this to a couple people myself. I'm pretty sure you can jump from the original wires and us that. Or just unhook them and run to the new button.

#30 4 years ago

Next we will hear they outlawed the good magnets around the time of the demise of Diamond plate. #90sWilliamsQualityorBust

#31 4 years ago

Show me sawdust

#32 4 years ago

You aren't drilling a hole in a Stradivarius, what's the big deal? It's just a pinball machine. If you want an extra button, make one. Make the game as enjoyable as possible. I drilled a second button in a couple high end games I sold to a friend with one arm. It was tough to drill into the artwork, but in the end it made the game enjoyable for someone that couldn't otherwise play it. These are games and meant to be fun. Have fun with them!

#33 4 years ago

Yes do it

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Why would you not use the same positioning as previous games?

Rhetorical answer to a rhetorical question: name me the last Stern game that had a second button on the side rather than the apron.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Guitar Foot pedal. I’d do that the second i got the machine.

With that game's soundtrack, that's worth a facepalm and a 'dohhhhh, wish I'd thought of that.'

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

Rhetorical answer to a rhetorical question: name me the last Stern game that had a second button on the side rather than the apron.

munsters

#37 4 years ago

See? I'd already forgotten!

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

See? I'd already forgotten!

you're getting old Eala...
but dont worry, same story for all of us

#39 4 years ago

The magna save is one of the main features for BKSOF. Why have a game that you cannot use one of the main features on? If I ever own a BK I would totally drill out an extra flipper button on right side with correct distance. I would not disconnect the lock bar magna save button but I would tap into it and have both the side flipper button and the top button that can operate. I actually think it is a great idea and if it catches on Pinball life could sell kits, etc? I think instead of decreasing a games valuation-it could actually add a premium. I would want a BK that operates properly

Make it so

Do it.jpgDo it.jpg

#40 4 years ago

Go ahead and drill but I guarantee you; if you try to sell it most people will view this as a negative and ding the value because of it.

#41 4 years ago

Is it possible (and would it even be a viable option) to move the button to the far right or left of the lockdown bar, to hit with your thumb while your hand is still in normal playing position?
You’d need to drill in the lockdown bar but that is easy and easily replaceable.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Go ahead and drill but I guarantee you; if you try to sell it most people will view this as a negative and ding the value because of it.

No way it would bring value down imo, your fixing a factory design flaw if anything.

Why anyone really though that was a good idea still has me scratching my head.

Honestly if I had that game and could not save balls consistently it would be the first thing I did.

#43 4 years ago

Someone needs to design a wireless stick on button for no drilling solution.

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

F resale value... it's a game. Meant to be played. If the lockdown button is so crappy... and a traditional cabinet position will boost play value, move the button.

#45 4 years ago

If Steve Ritchie was fine putting the Magnasave button on the lockdown bar, I’ll just deal with it as yet another challenge he is throwing at us as the designer. I’m sure Steve had enough sway to have the extra button located on the side of the cabinet if he really wanted it there, especially given that Munsters has two additional such buttons.

And while it may take some getting used to for us BK veterans (making the game that much harder for us, which again I personally welcome), I also see this as a great marketing attraction for the average person first approaching the game, scoping it out, and deciding whether or not to drop some coin into it: “Wow! This game has a magnet I can use to save a ball from going out the side!” The button is right there, front and center, blinking at them with a big arrow pointing to it. And this special button can do something to benefit the player besides launching a ball, firing a cannon or just scoring points: it can keep balls in play longer. That’s a nice little something extra to entice potential players with.

Of course, actually mastering its use during live game play will be even more difficult for these casual players than it will for us with a lot more playing experience, but oh well: I guess they will just have to put some more money in the game and keep trying. And that might very well hook a few new players on pinball for life. Sounds win-win to me.

#46 4 years ago

I asked Steve Ritchie about this at MGC. He very enthusiastically showed me and other onlookers that you simply need to hover one of your hands over the magna-save button while playing the flippers with the other.

You’re all just doing it wrong.

#47 4 years ago

I've gotten pretty good using the button where it is. I saved two balls on my second game. No way am I drilling my LE. I will install wireless if possible, but beyond that I will do the Steve Ritchie method.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

The magna save is one of the main features for BKSOF. Why have a game that you cannot use one of the main features on?[quoted image]

Because this is a non-problem that internet stooges are blowing way out of proportion.

A lot of talk but still no sawdust, drama queens!

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Because this is a non-problem that internet stooges are blowing way out of proportion.
A lot of talk but still no sawdust, drama queens!

Whysnow just drill it in and post the results.

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from cletus:

you simply need to hover one of your hands over the magna-save button while playing the flippers

Yes technique is key, you have to be quick on the stick to make use of the Magna

Magna Save Technique.gifMagna Save Technique.gif
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1,499.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 16.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanted
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

There are 246 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-drill-bk3000-to-properly-add-magnasave-button?hl=extraballz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.