(Topic ID: 243180)

LETS Drill BK3000 to properly add magnasave button? NEED a template from BK BK2K

By Whysnow

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 246 posts
  • 96 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Chalkey
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FE075297-19AA-4E0D-8340-A97DC8F8ABA3 (resized).jpeg
26E29C7C-3879-4725-9A22-31446B2F983D (resized).png
EAF40DE7-058D-4012-BC5C-04FD29F47990 (resized).jpeg
20200531_164705 (resized).jpg
20200531_163855 (resized).jpg
20200531_003555 (resized).jpg
20200530_131027 (resized).jpg
20200530_100236 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
2019-06-24 19_20_09-back to the future meme chicken - Saferbrowser Image Search Results - Internet E (resized).png
A1C11422-3FFA-4153-813B-E582C1D94B24.jpeg
31E7ADAC-42CB-46A5-9B2B-2159425C985F (resized).jpeg
pincab (resized).JPG
70D0EA81-F2CC-45DE-8FD3-831A71CF7024 (resized).jpeg
Drilling BK Imamaculately.JPG
535-7297-02.jpg

There are 246 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 4 years ago

2019-06-24 19_20_09-back to the future meme chicken - Saferbrowser Image Search Results - Internet E (resized).png2019-06-24 19_20_09-back to the future meme chicken - Saferbrowser Image Search Results - Internet E (resized).png

#202 4 years ago

Someone did this, great easy to do at home and on location. From a new thread here.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#205 4 years ago

Quoted from mof:hilarious - what thread?

Hilarious whaaattt.Hell mof it works.Go ahead bump the thread.Let's get the modders working on this.

#206 4 years ago
Quoted from Slugmeister:

Hilarious whaaattt.Hell mof it works.Go ahead bump the thread.Let's get the modders working on this.

That has to be the ugliest implementation of a mod ever.

9 months later
#207 3 years ago

and ? still nobody ?

#208 3 years ago

Who were the brave souls?

#209 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Who were the brave souls?

Times changed for me I am routing games now and have to buy things other people want to play and not what I want. I will eventually buy a premium and drill right into it.

2 weeks later
#210 3 years ago

Has anyone done this yet? Just thinking out loud as I debate doing it. If you put it in the same location as the Munsters premium button and can use those lollipop rails then should the next buyer decide they don't want it a standard set of Lillipop rails should more that hide the hole in the cabinet. Am i wrong in my thinking? People use those to cover flipper button wear all the time

#211 3 years ago
Quoted from Swoods5688:

Has anyone done this yet? Just thinking out loud as I debate doing it. If you put it in the same location as the Munsters premium button and can use those lollipop rails then should the next buyer decide they don't want it a standard set of Lillipop rails should more that hide the hole in the cabinet. Am i wrong in my thinking? People use those to cover flipper button wear all the time

That would be my plan.

#212 3 years ago
Quoted from Swoods5688:

I have a pair of chrome rails with the extra hole below made for a Rolling Stones LE I believe.

#213 3 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

Sterns current cab and playfield design won't allow for a horizontal install of a second button. I fully was going to try installing a second button for the magna save, I could care less about resale value, but as you can see the playfield rests against the washer that holds the flipper buttons t-nut in place. There is no room for a second button without chopping the trough apart. The auto-plunge mech would also get in the way of the old school style of a second button.
[quoted image][quoted image]

nobody ever did it due to this... it wont fit with the way the playfield and cabinet design is...

yes, below like the munsters would work, but we were all originally wanting like bkI and bkII.

3 months later
#214 3 years ago

Just got my SOR Pro as my first ever NIB.. It sits next to my original BK, and like everyone else, I wish the button was where the original was, but at the same time I dont think I'd drill the game and move it- I kind of feel that it's just part of the challenge of the new game. I missed probably the first 10 attempts, and admittedly, I have to make the decision a lot earlier than with my original BK, which as others have pointed out, will suck the ball half way up the outlane, but I'm getting better, and although I wont go so far as to say it's "cheating" to move the button, it isn't playing the game as intended, and it would probably mean I'd suck at it if I ever went out and played one in a local arcade, so I'll be keeping mine where it is, and just practicing to get better at it's use! Just my $0.02.. The one thing this new machine has taught me is that my old flippers on the original NEED to be replaced. Going back to my old flippers sucks! Already have the parts - just need to make the time to replace them!!

#215 3 years ago
Quoted from PA28steve:

although I wont go so far as to say it's "cheating" to move the button, it isn't playing the game as intended,

I highly doubt it was intentionally designed by Steve Richie to have the button there. Pretty sure he HAD to work with what Stern is already using and cost factor to add the button on the side.

#216 3 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

I highly doubt it was intentionally designed by Steve Richie to have the button there. Pretty sure he HAD to work with what Stern is already using and cost factor to add the button on the side.

Stern used two buttons on the Munsters Premium and LE. Problem is the position of the second button sucks and a lot of people (like me) hit the second button by mistake a lot. No big deal on the Munsters, but it would waste a valuable Magna Save on BKSOR. To mount the button forward of the flipper button ala BK2000 is not possible with the standard Stern buttons because the playfield is in the way! Anyway, a microswitch style button can easily be added either external as I did or by drilling a hole if you so desire. Lets let this thread die on the vine. See my post and pictures here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-swords-of-rage-club-honourable-knights-only/page/55#post-5768400

#217 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Stern used two buttons on the Munsters Premium and LE. Problem is the position of the second button sucks and a lot of people (like me) hit the second button by mistake a lot. No big deal on the Munsters, but it would waste a valuable Magna Save on BKSOR. To mount the button forward of the flipper button ala BK2000 is not possible with the standard Stern buttons because the playfield is in the way! Anyway, a microswitch style button can easily be added either external as I did or by drilling a hole if you so desire. Lets let this thread die on the vine. See my post and pictures here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-knight-swords-of-rage-club-honourable-knights-only/page/55#post-5768400

Ahm, Those buttons on Monsters were for the mini flippers. A big difference then a once in a while used magna save.

#218 3 years ago

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. BK:SOR's magnasave has problems, but the button location isn't one of them. Changing button location will save 0% more balls.

#219 3 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. BK:SOR's magnasave has problems, but the button location isn't one of them. Changing button location will save 0% more balls.

Wrong! Those of us who have installed buttons are probably a better source for this answer. You are partially right though because of the speed of this game most of the balls hit the outline before you have a chance. But there are plenty that can still be saved with a quick twitch to the nearby button instead of the lock bar

#220 3 years ago

I like the button on the lockdown bar because I have a slightly unfair advantage that lets me press it whenever I want to without ever taking my hands off the flippers. And if you've got a similar reach and girth, you can hit the magna save button on the lockdown bar anytime easily enough while keeping your hands on the flippers too. Just lean into and give one good, hard pound with your great big gut.

#221 3 years ago

Has anyone actually done this yet? I really thing it would be a big improvement and the perceived "cabinet damage" I think would be irrelevant to the majority of owners once they experience the magnasave in that fashion and as previously implemented.

#222 3 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

Has anyone actually done this yet?

no

that's why this tread was created...

who will be NEO ?

#223 3 years ago

I have done it and so have others. Read post 216 just above...

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#224 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I have done it and so have others. Read post 216 just above...

Not technically, you added a plug ‘n’ play button, you didn’t drill the cab.

I still think your version would be a great mod for anyone wanting to try this. As it does not involve drilling and you can remove, also it would give anyone a good idea how different the magma save will be with a button there

#225 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Not technically, you added a plug ‘n’ play button, you didn’t drill the cab.
I still think your version would be a great mod for anyone wanting to try this. As it does not involve drilling and you can remove, also it would give anyone a good idea how different the magma save will be with a button there

Drilling the cabinet would have added five minutes to the install and saved me having to design and 3D print the button holder. If I didn't have and LE, I would have certainly drilled first. The key is to use microswitch buttons rather than the push button with a switch stack inside the cabinet. As mention before, the playfield is in the way on the Sterns where that was not a problem on the old Williams games.

I made one for another pinsider recently with an LE. He said he had two saves in his first game after never saving a single ball on all of his previous games since he purchased NIB.

#226 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Drilling the cabinet would have added five minutes to the install and saved me having to design and 3D print the button holder. If I didn't have and LE, I would have certainly drilled first. The key is to use microswitch buttons rather than the push button with a switch stack inside the cabinet. As mention before, the playfield is in the way on the Sterns where that was not a problem on the old Williams games.
I made one for another pinsider recently with an LE. He said he had two saves in his first game after never saving a single ball on all of his previous games since he purchased NIB.

If the Munsters 2 button was copied, it would fit, right?

Dang I love BK3, if I ever get a pro I’d get a button like what you did to see if it was worth moving. I had a BK and with the button right next to the flipper it makes a lot of sense and worked well.

#227 3 years ago

Is this a high power switch? If not, why don't y'all look at those low profile snap in switches like they use in the Japanese arcade cabinets? Even if you had to make a metal plate to go between the flipper switch and the new low profile switch so the new switch can snap in, you could make it look factory.

#228 3 years ago
Quoted from slicknick13:

Is this a high power switch? If not, why don't y'all look at those low profile snap in switches like they use in the Japanese arcade cabinets? Even if you had to make a metal plate to go between the flipper switch and the new low profile switch so the new switch can snap in, you could make it look factory.

It is a low power switch. Basically that is what I did was put a low profile button that has a microswitch into the housing that I printed. I could have just as easily drilled a 30mm hole in the cabinet and installed the switch. This is not rocket science. It is the easiest mod in the world. You just have to chose whether you want to drill or leave it external. The wiring just routes in under the side rail and is soldered to the terminals on the lock bar switch. Both switches will work in game play since they are both wired in parallel.

20200530_100236 (resized).jpg20200530_100236 (resized).jpg20200530_131027 (resized).jpg20200530_131027 (resized).jpg20200531_003555 (resized).jpg20200531_003555 (resized).jpg20200531_163855 (resized).jpg20200531_163855 (resized).jpg
20200531_164705 (resized).jpg20200531_164705 (resized).jpg

#229 3 years ago

i assume this is a huge improvement.

#230 3 years ago

It is a big improvement in speed. You can get to the button instantly. As mentioned above the speed of this game compared to the older games makes a lot of balls not savable with my reaction times, but slower moving balls and ball bouncing around in that area are much easier to save now. I make one or two saves in the course of a decent game now. Before I made one or two saves in a decent week.

Edit:

These were the best buttons that I found. They have the switch built in and with the tabs folded over they are low enough profile that they could fit in a 30mm hole in the cabinet in the same location as BK2000 without interfering with raising and lowering the playfield. So just choose the location, drill the hole, solder the wires on both ends, route wires carefully and snap the switch in. These buttons are also low enough to make my external fix not too big.

https://focusattack.com/seimitsu-ps-15-low-profile-pushbutton-black/

#231 3 years ago

That low profile button looks like the perfect solution. Someone man up and drill thy cabinet and install those.

9 months later
#232 2 years ago

Alright so i am getting ready to drill my cabinet. I 3d printed a dummy housing for my button to find a placement of it I like. What i found is i like it just below my normal flipper button. I had more magnet saves in 1 game than I did in 100+ previous. So that brings me to my plan of attack, I am planning to drill the layout similar to munsters which will allow me to put the lollipop rails for musters premium with the oval slot.

26E29C7C-3879-4725-9A22-31446B2F983D (resized).png26E29C7C-3879-4725-9A22-31446B2F983D (resized).pngEAF40DE7-058D-4012-BC5C-04FD29F47990 (resized).jpegEAF40DE7-058D-4012-BC5C-04FD29F47990 (resized).jpeg
#233 2 years ago
Quoted from Swoods5688:

Alright so i am getting ready to drill my cabinet. I 3d printed a dummy housing for my button to find a placement of it I like. What i found is i like it just below my normal flipper button. I had more magnet saves in 1 game than I did in 100+ previous. So that brings me to my plan of attack, I am planning to drill the layout similar to munsters which will allow me to put the lollipop rails for musters premium with the oval slot.[quoted image][quoted image]

I have a set of chrome rails from a Rolling Stones that I might part with. They have the double holes.

#234 2 years ago

That looks... not great.

#235 2 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

That looks... not great.

?? He stated he printing a dummy housing to test placement before drilling. Looks fine to me for testing

#236 2 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:That looks... not great.

That is correct as I said in my post that I wanted to be able to check different placement and test the position on the button as there is no going back from it once I drill. I’m not looking to win a beauty contest at the moment just find my button placement.

#237 2 years ago

You're right, f me.

3 weeks later
#238 2 years ago

Welp gang here ya go the first photo in the group of it

FE075297-19AA-4E0D-8340-A97DC8F8ABA3 (resized).jpegFE075297-19AA-4E0D-8340-A97DC8F8ABA3 (resized).jpeg
#239 2 years ago
Quoted from Swoods5688:

Welp gang here ya go the first photo in the group of it
[quoted image]

1. That’s awesome
2. You got balls

#240 2 years ago

Too bad the Munsters armor was drilled like that with the second button below instead of putting the button forward of the other one like on the Williams BK games. I don't use my fingertips to hit the flippers, so I constantly hit the lower button by mistake on The Munsters. On BK I would be wasting the Magna Save long before I needed it...

#241 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Too bad the Munsters armor was drilled like that with the second button below instead of putting the button forward of the other one like on the Williams BK games. I don't use my fingertips to hit the flippers, so I constantly hit the lower button by mistake on The Munsters. On BK I would be wasting the Magna Save long before I needed it...

Surprisingly with the low profile button it helps to reduce this, i also played it about 100 games with the button rigged up there before I drilled it to make certain I was comfortable and use to the saves there. I must say I do notice a major improvement on my saves

#242 2 years ago

I've only ever owned 80s games and a r&m but is that gap on the cabinet corner normal? Seems pretty gapped to me.

#243 2 years ago
Quoted from Swoods5688:

I must say I do notice a major improvement on my saves

Yeah I rigged up the button on my LE externally because I didn't want to cut a hole or change rails, so I put it in the forward position. It worked great, but the funny part was that I had become used to the crossbar and the first couple of saves I made I forgot it was there and saved the ball with the crossbar!

To me the magnasave on this game will never be the same as the original game where the ball moved so painfully slow. BKSOR is so effin fast it is near impossible to save the ball even with the button correctly located. If I was redesigning the game, I would put the magnet all the way down in the outlane. Once the ball was caught, the software could use the magnet to throw the ball upward and back into play a la The Shadow.

#244 2 years ago

you have b*ll*cks !

now, as said already, for me this 2 seems too close (Musnters example is right)
and of course you already expose this help about magna save, that was the main point, well done than

#245 2 years ago
Quoted from fnord:

I've only ever owned 80s games and a r&m but is that gap on the cabinet corner normal? Seems pretty gapped to me.

That’s from where the vinyl stops, this is how stern does it now, I think my mmr does too

#246 2 years ago

You did it, you beautiful bastard!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashville, TN
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 20.00
Electronics
Gameroom Mods
Electronics
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 39.00
$ 130.00
Flipper Parts
Pin Monk
Flipper parts
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
Electronics
Space Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 246 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-drill-bk3000-to-properly-add-magnasave-button/page/5?hl=fxdwg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.