• 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Azmodeus
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

NaNoWriMo2008 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Hello! With November fast approaching, I was curious whether any other Pinsiders participated in or would be interested in participating in National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo).

For those unfamiliar, it is a self-inflicted challenge (haha) to write 50,000 words of a novel (or any kind of written work - since the rules are self-imposed, they're pret-ty flexible) over the course of the month of November - 50k being the accepted "standard" for the lower limit of what constitutes a novel-length written work. The official website for the event is nanowrimo.org.

This will be my twelfth time doing NaNoWriMo. It's a ton of fun, if grueling - I've managed to miss the mark every time, yet I keep trying. I find it to be one of my best motivators for keeping up with writing regularly while trying to balance work and life (and pinball!), and I spend the eleven months between NaNos in eager anticipation of November 1st, daydreaming and planning all the while.

Will anyone else be making the attempt this year?

#2 6 years ago

I think that I will. I've had a book that I have been playing with and false starting for years. It's time to finally do it.

#3 6 years ago

Wow, if you cut out a few days for holidays in November (and maybe a day or two for a break) you're basically at 2000 words per day. That seems daunting... but I bet there are folks who put that many words in their posts on a regular basis. Best of luck to you! (55 words)

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my Pinball 2000 H+V video sync combiner kit

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from rkahr:

Wow, if you cut out a few days for holidays in November (and maybe a day or two for a break) you're basically at 2000 words per day. That seems daunting... but I bet there are folks who put that many words in their posts on a regular basis. Best of luck to you! (55 words)
-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my Pinball 2000 H+V video sync combiner kit

Yeah. The target goal per day is 1,667, if I recall, so that you hit 5,000 every three days, which would give you the 50,000 in thirty. It is a steep incline. You have to carve out a solid hour to two hours of writing time, and that doesn't account for instances where you have to pause and figure out what's going on.

The challenge stresses that this a first draft, so the emphasis is quantity, not quality - plot holes and the like can be saved for revision AFTER November - so that can take some of the stress off, but it is still a lot to do.

Thank you!

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I think that I will. I've had a book that I have been playing with and false starting for years. It's time to finally do it.

Awesome! I'm glad to see other writers on here! Good luck with your novel!!

#6 6 years ago

I've finished once and started twice, but it's been a few years. It really is a long drive. The year I finished I was behind by Thanksgiving and spent hours that day writing between cooking, my family wasn't happy with me writing all day but I came out at around 51k words by the end of the month.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

I've finished once and started twice, but it's been a few years. It really is a long drive. The year I finished I was behind by Thanksgiving and spent hours that day writing between cooking, my family wasn't happy with me writing all day but I came out at around 51k words by the end of the month.

Hah, yeah, the Thanksgiving holiday is a double-edged sword like that. It's built-in free time...with built-in expectations. I'm glad you were able to use the time to catch up and pull through!

#8 6 years ago

For writers on here, do you post any of your stuff online? I'd like to read what people are writing. I even have some unpublished short stories that involve pinball. I do a lot of commissions, but I generally don't want to post things people have had me write for them.

Here's the first chapter (extremely rough and unedited) for the book I keep messing with. I need to do this. I think about it almost every day, and that's been going on for years. SO MUCH has changed in my head about how I want to write this since I started doing it. I think getting everything outlined and then a sprint through November could be what I need.

http://www.jeffrivera.net/click-working-title-chapter-1/

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

Did you get behind that year by attending John Dayhuff's pinball party in early November? https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-chairty-in-nova-10-14-2017 ... sorry if pointing it out makes your attempt that much harder to make this year, but conversely if you go to John's I'll see you there! (39 words - jeez, I'd never make 2K per day!)

-Rob

#10 6 years ago

Pretty cool thread here! Never heard of this event. Great idea!

#11 6 years ago

I tried to start a couple years ago but then FAST Pinball started and I have just been too maxed out. 2018 is the year for me to finally do it!

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

Pretty cool thread here! Never heard of this event. Great idea!

It's a pretty fun ride. I got into it when a friend told me about it on Halloween night, of all times, so I kind of dove in headfirst with NO clue as to what I'm doing.

Which...sounds eerily like what I'm doing right now, I guess, haha!

I agree, it's pretty cool.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

I tried to start a couple years ago but then FAST Pinball started and I have just been too maxed out. 2018 is the year for me to finally do it!
Aaron
FAST Pinball

That's understandable - life happens. Glad you're going to give it a try!

#14 6 years ago

I did it in 2008. I completed the 50,000 words, but the end result...

Let's say it had its moments, but was not best-seller materiel.
NaNoWriMo2008 (resized).jpgNaNoWriMo2008 (resized).jpg

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from songofsixpence:

I did it in 2008. I completed the 50,000 words, but the end result...
Let's say it had its moments, but was not best-seller materiel.

Congratulations! That's awesome!

Hey man, that's what revisions are for! They say getting the words (or just words) down is the first part. Revision is the part where you look through, figure out what the heck you just wrote, and make it into what you want. Cull the bad parts, polish the good, etc. Revision seems like a saga in its own right...

Of course, I'm hoping I can say that from the authority of experience after this NaNo, haha!

3 weeks later
#16 6 years ago

So the first week of November is over... curious if anyone is in progress. If yes, are you about 25% done?

-Rob
-check out my Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2111218102/pinball-pyramid?ref=bcsjqr

#17 6 years ago

I'm still on pace. I'd be way ahead if I could learn to stop editing along the way.

4 weeks later
#18 6 years ago
Quoted from rkahr:

So the first week of November is over... curious if anyone is in progress. If yes, are you about 25% done?
-Rob
-check out my Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2111218102/pinball-pyramid?ref=bcsjqr

I couldn't say I was ever on pace, but I did manage to pull it off!

How did you fare?

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I'm still on pace. I'd be way ahead if I could learn to stop editing along the way.

Yeah, learning to quiet your inner editor is HARD. Especially for my writing style (handwrite on the go, transcribe while home, meaning I expand as I go and reword things).

I picked up a trick this year that I wish I'd been able to stick to absolutely. It helped so much:

When you find a sentence that breaks continuity, sounds awful, or otherwise makes your inner editor want to scream, instead of deleting what you highlight, white out the text. This way the words still count AND you can rewrite.

How did you do overall?

#20 6 years ago

I wrote enough to "finish," but I realized that my work is probably a two part story. Maybe I have fat to trim, but it's probably too long for a single book. Still, I'm REALLY happy that I was able to get that much written.

#21 6 years ago

I am writing now, but it is not for this challenge. After my stroke and three brain surgeries, my mind started working differently.

I always wanted to write, now I am completing a non fiction novel. It should be done soon. I don't know what the heck I'm doing.

It is freaking awesome though. I'm not kidding.

I also wrote a short story horror collection. It is done. I am just going to illustrate it myself. Probably ten colored pencil drawings to accompany ten of the stories.

I plan on writing for the rest of my life, I hope.

3 weeks later
#22 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I wrote enough to "finish," but I realized that my work is probably a two part story. Maybe I have fat to trim, but it's probably too long for a single book. Still, I'm REALLY happy that I was able to get that much written.

Ha, I understand completely. My "finish" was basically a poorly cobbled together beginning and the confused foundations for some kind of middle. I effectively wrote 50,000 words of stagnant garbage...which, compared to how little I was writing before, is a quantitative miracle. I'm hoping that I can build the world I planted the seeds for in this story and grow something decent from that, which is more than I had before November. Any step forward in my motivation to write is a good step!

Congratulations on making the quantitative goal - I know some don't like NaNo because it's quantity over quality, but it's still a writing goal regardless. It's something of a step forward. I'm glad you made it!

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I am writing now, but it is not for this challenge. After my stroke and three brain surgeries, my mind started working differently.
I always wanted to write, now I am completing a non fiction novel. It should be done soon. I don't know what the heck I'm doing.
It is freaking awesome though. I'm not kidding.
I also wrote a short story horror collection. It is done. I am just going to illustrate it myself. Probably ten colored pencil drawings to accompany ten of the stories.
I plan on writing for the rest of my life, I hope.

NaNo is certainly not the only impetus to write. I am glad that you have made it through that gauntlet and that you have taken up writing - in all honesty, I find that quite admirable. Your horror collection and novel sound like worthy endeavors; your passion comes through even talking about them tangentially.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballprincess:

NaNo is certainly not the only impetus to write. I am glad that you have made it through that gauntlet and that you have taken up writing - in all honesty, I find that quite admirable. Your horror collection and novel sound like worthy endeavors; your passion comes through even talking about them tangentially.

Thank you. I am so excited about writing now. It's one thing I can do seemingly well. So far so good!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-doing-nanowrimo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.