(Topic ID: 280577)

Anyone do laserdiscs or vintage home theaters/stereos?

By SantaEatsCheese

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 103 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Rdoyle1978
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“Vintage home theater?”

• Sounds cool! 7 votes
    23%
  • Don't waste your time. 11 votes
    37%
  • I've actually still got mine! 12 votes
    40%

(30 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4F875F09-3EEF-43E6-8085-7A7C54EAF1DD (resized).jpeg
IMG_20220504_121719_125 (resized).jpg
58FC17EF-A81F-4FFC-A47D-566405BCE019 (resized).jpeg
4QEkZk5 (resized).png
v2sKu4H (resized).png
03Fmhnu (resized).png
s-l1000 (1) (resized).jpg
2EDBF9A8-A3D8-4776-B945-ECC260877255 (resized).jpeg
stereo_setup_01 (resized).jpg
C4212F38-2F18-4BCD-9773-EA4FAB84BAE3 (resized).jpeg
Server (resized).jpg
20200630_011235 (resized).jpg
20200629_223437 (resized).jpg
20210116_194542 (resized).jpg
20210116_194550 (resized).jpg
20210112_150133 (resized).jpg
There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Totally different systems.
Cinematronics Dragon's Lair and Space Ace: Laser Disc.
Bally Midway Astron Belt: RCA Video Disc.

The only arcade game That I know of that used the CED technology was the Bally NFL one. Pretty sure Astron Belt was laserdisc.

3 weeks later
#52 3 years ago

My Sony MDP800 on top and Sony MDP600 on the bottom. Both are auto side changing laserdisc players. Blu-ray player in the middle for size comparison.

PXL_20210105_143236341 (resized).jpgPXL_20210105_143236341 (resized).jpg
#53 3 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Hopefully I can get my raw disc capture solution hammered out soon. I'm basically hacking a standard video capture card so it will digitally sample the signal at about a 3.85 to 1 ratio. I'll probably share a successful decode and playback of something once I get a clean enough signal from the laser in my player.

I have a nice wideband amplifier, but it doesn't work with my player's RF circuit. Someone else with the same amplifier has a similar issue. This amplifier is optimized for photodiodes, so I'll have to try and locate/tap the output directly from the optical pickup. Now I'm poring over service manuals to try and solve that riddle.

#54 3 years ago

I dabble in the disc as well! My modest collection. And I have a few players. My main player is a cld-99 elite. But have a few cld-702s and a Cld-501 as a portable player to bring to friends houses or backyard Laserdisc projector nights!

16104874108845884459948814458159 (resized).jpg16104874108845884459948814458159 (resized).jpg
#55 3 years ago

Just swapped out my Kenwood model 9, for my Marantz 2252-B. 52 watt, produced from 1977-1980.
Super warm sound.
Great mid level reciever.

20210112_150059 (resized).jpg20210112_150059 (resized).jpg20210112_150114 (resized).jpg20210112_150114 (resized).jpg20210112_150133 (resized).jpg20210112_150133 (resized).jpg
#56 3 years ago

I really like the art on these. They are cheaper than posters too and neat. Keeping a yard sale lookout for a player.

20210116_194542 (resized).jpg20210116_194542 (resized).jpg20210116_194550 (resized).jpg20210116_194550 (resized).jpg
#57 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Bally Midway Astron Belt: RCA Video Disc.

Sega Astron Belt was laser disc, it was licensed to Midway because their NFL Football game which was RCA Video Disc was dropped fast and Midway wanted to move into laser discs.

Problem with the RCA video disc ( in a commercial video game ) was it's like a record with a thin layer of oil on it. In attract mode it concentrates on one spot and builds a dam on either side of the track it is using. Then when someone starts a game the needle drags across the dam and plays like crap. Skips and jumps type stuff.

LTG : )

#58 3 years ago

Here's my Technics sa-700 100 watt.
Built from 1978-1979.
Great sharp clean sound and power.
It's out to the shop right now, having all the Capacitors replaced.
It sounded amazing until it crapped out, the Caps lasted 40 years, not bad for a high power reciever.
Hopefully it'll be good for another 40.

Message from the Vintage Freeeek Kingdom

20200629_223437 (resized).jpg20200629_223437 (resized).jpg20200630_011235 (resized).jpg20200630_011235 (resized).jpg

#59 3 years ago

I have a laserdisc-player that I use very seldom. It is in good working condition, but I am chary about connecting the old AV-gear to electricity due to my fear of such old gear starting a fire. That's why I have put it into a storage shelf. I do not know if that makes much sense I also wonder, does the old technical gear like being stored - e.g. capacitors - would it be after all best to have them connected to the electricity after all?

#60 3 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I think the quality is quite good - especially the audio - but not on HD TVs.
I have a lot, as it was my jam back in the 90’s. Without a CRT I’m not sure it’s worth it. Or I’d there a converter that can scale up the quality on an HD flat screen?

There is - look up a component called a “line doubler”. There are also little boxes which take a component connection in and convert to HDMI. Quality varies wildly though

#61 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I really like the art on these. They are cheaper than posters too and neat. Keeping a yard sale lookout for a player.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Nice Frazetta collection you have too

#62 3 years ago

Interesting post. I'm on the completely opposite end of the spectrum and run a 49TB server loading with content ripped from 4K UHD disks and bluray disks with no compression.

Server (resized).jpgServer (resized).jpg

#63 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Nice Frazetta collection you have too

Thanks. Those are not real Frazettas. My dad is a huge fan. He painted those in High School. So I have hand painted copies my dad made as a kid.

#64 3 years ago
Quoted from ScottThePhotog:

Laserdisc collector here. I grew up watching Tom and Jerry and the Looney Tunes on Laserdisc. Still have those box sets and will never get rid of them.
I started seriously collecting about 3.5 years ago. I've got over 1500 titles in my collection. For me, nothing beats Laserdisc when it comes to audio. Uncompressed digital audio, original theater mixes, and killer AC3 and DTS soundtracks that will shake the house!
One of my collection goals is to be Criterion Collection complete, and I'm about 70% there. There are so many releases with great extras and commentaries that aren't available anywhere else.
One of my favorite things is to spin a late release or DTS disc for someone who has never seen a Laserdisc. They are always blown away by the sound and typically impressed with the picture quality, especially for a technology designed in the 70s! Hearing the blu-ray after is always a let down.
The picture quality on late releases is usually quite good. Sometimes on par with DVD or better since there is no digital compression or artifacts. It's amazing how much they were able to progress and maximize the potential of that format. The difference between the very early DiscoVision titles and the releases in the 90s with discrete surround sound is just incredible.
This was my collection about a year ago. I've added probably about another 100-200 discs since then.
[quoted image]

There was a scene in Total Recall (great LD) that blew my buddies speakers. LD sound is amazing.

#65 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

There is - look up a component called a “line doubler”. There are also little boxes which take a component connection in and convert to HDMI. Quality varies wildly though

Sweet! Alas my wife probably won’t be partial to any vintage Ashlyn Gere (in LD? Forgettaboutit!), but it might be time to fire up my old friend:

C4212F38-2F18-4BCD-9773-EA4FAB84BAE3 (resized).jpegC4212F38-2F18-4BCD-9773-EA4FAB84BAE3 (resized).jpeg
#66 3 years ago

By the way, I don’t know Jack shit about stuff like this anymore, and state of the art isn’t a requirement.

Can someone please recommend an affordable line doubler or upconverter that I can use to connect my old Sony LD player into my Onkyo home theatre receiver for viewing through my inexpensive 780p projector?

#67 3 years ago

Not Laserdisc or home theater.... but this defiantly falls under vintage.... I just recently set up my father's Dynaco Stereo 70 tube amplifier, Dynaco PAS5 Tube Pre-amp, and Dual 1228 turntable.

stereo_setup_01 (resized).jpgstereo_setup_01 (resized).jpg
#68 3 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Interesting post. I'm on the completely opposite end of the spectrum and run a 49TB server loading with content ripped from 4K UHD disks and bluray disks with no compression.
[quoted image]

"Ripped" discs.

#69 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Thanks. Those are not real Frazettas. My dad is a huge fan. He painted those in High School. So I have hand painted copies my dad made as a kid.

wow! That is even more cool! very nice

#70 3 years ago

Sweet! Alas my wife probably won’t be partial to any vintage Ashlyn Gere (in LD? Forgettaboutit!), but it might be time to fire up my old friend:[quoted image]

Turn it up to 11!

#71 3 years ago

Nice, I am the same way, been trying to get my hands on that exact supermicro case to start my UNRAID build but they are sold out everywhere

#72 3 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

"Ripped" discs.

Actually they are all ripped from disks I purchase.

This is my current rip queue of 4K disks I’m working through.

2EDBF9A8-A3D8-4776-B945-ECC260877255 (resized).jpeg2EDBF9A8-A3D8-4776-B945-ECC260877255 (resized).jpeg

#73 3 years ago
Quoted from dondon4720:

Nice, I am the same way, been trying to get my hands on that exact supermicro case to start my UNRAID build but they are sold out everywhere

I grabbed mine from eBay. Any luck there?

I grabbed mine from UNIXSurplusCom on eBay. I added a second processor, upped the RAM to 64GB and added a Quadro card for transcoding 4K on the fly.

Anyway, back to laserdisks. Sorry for the interruption.

#74 3 years ago

Actually they are all ripped from disks I purchase.
This is my current rip queue of 4K disks I’m working through.
[quoted image]

Yeah just pulling your leg, hence the wink.

#75 3 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Yeah just pulling your leg, hence the wink.

Whoops. Didn’t even notice that wink.

Sorry about that!

#76 3 years ago

About 25 years ago I stumbled on one of the very early, huge and *heavy* laserdisc players in a junk shop where the giant lid opened up on top and it came with some discs. Like one of the very first players made I think, and it worked. I've restored a few 50s and 60s b&w and color TVs (with the round pic tubes) so it was fun to goof around with the whole setup it but the player finally gave out. Bought one slightly newer that works (still very old and huge and top-lidded) and another bigger stack of discs, maybe I'll drag it out again soon or later and mess around with it. I have a 300-lb acoustic Victrola and a ton of 78s too, I just dig old technology. Hell my main TV is still my 'old' circa 2000 Hitachi HD projection set. It refuses to conk out. I'm incurable. Found a pic of my first one, a Pioneer.

s-l1000 (1) (resized).jpgs-l1000 (1) (resized).jpg
#77 3 years ago

Here's a neat video on that Pioneer player:

Whoops. Didn’t even notice that wink.
Sorry about that!

Nah it's fine, sarcasm doesn't translate well.

Is anyone else thinking about LaserDisc preservation? As the discs rot and more obscure stuff is lost, it's gone forever unless someone captures them and puts the captures up on archive.org or something. For example, I heard the Toy Story LaserDisc has an alternate version of a Pixar short that is more adult oriented.

#78 3 years ago

Sweet! Alas my wife probably won’t be partial to any vintage Ashlyn Gere (in LD? Forgettaboutit!), but it might be time to fire up my old friend:[quoted image]

Does it have Dubly?

#79 3 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Oh my, I can fix old tube TVs and a cap or transistor or chip in my old radios or my pinballs here and there but whew, I wouldn't even have dared to try tackling why mine went belly up! I would have broken a dozen more things in the process.

#80 3 years ago

By the way, I don’t know Jack shit about stuff like this anymore, and state of the art isn’t a requirement.
Can someone please recommend an affordable line doubler or upconverter that I can use to connect my old Sony LD player into my Onkyo home theatre receiver for viewing through my inexpensive 780p projector?

Not sure on laserdisc but I now a few people who use these for old gaming.

retrotink 2x pro line double

#81 3 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Nah it's fine, sarcasm doesn't translate well.
Is anyone else thinking about LaserDisc preservation? As the discs rot and more obscure stuff is lost, it's gone forever unless someone captures them and puts the captures up on archive.org or something. For example, I heard the Toy Story LaserDisc has an alternate version of a Pixar short that is more adult oriented.

This is true, the Toy Story CAV laser disc has an "uncensored" version of Knick Knack, but it is FAAAAAR more tame than it sounds. Better to preserve the ironically titled Star Wars "Definitive" Laserdiscs, although these already exist in 4k via the fanedit UnSpecialized editions

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=1883

#82 3 years ago

Continuing with the discussion about Toy Story and obscure/exclusive content. There's a decent amount of Laserdisc exclusive content.

There's a lot of Disney that has been altered since it's release on Laserdisc. The Beauty and the Beast Work in Progress is the most significant. See the full comparison here:
http://stayornay.com/toons/index.php/2015/05/17/beauty-and-the-beast-work-in-progress-version/

Lion King also has a ridiculous amount of changes in addition to the infamous "SFX" scene.
https://lionking.fandom.com/wiki/The_Lion_King_series_re-release_changes

When a lot of the older Disney was "restored" for DVD/Blu-Ray, colors and details were lost. Cinderella suffered from this in very obvious ways:
https://www.boredpanda.com/disney-animated-movies-ciderella-blu-ray-restoration-ruined-detail/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

There's always Song of the South which was only released on VHS and a Japanese Laserdisc pressing. That one tends to fetch fairly good money.

The Rescuers and Who Framed Roger Rabbit both have a scene where a naked woman is present for one frame. The animators slipped it in thinking it would be never noticed in the cinema (which it wasn't). It was only noticed on CAV laserdiscs with frame by frame playback capabilities. Both titles were recalled and re-released with the frames removed.

Up until last year with the release of Disney Plus, the only widescreen version of A Goofy Movie was on Laserdisc. Everything else was pan & scan.

There's also some banned Looney Tunes and Tex Avery cartoons only present on laserdisc.

Looking at George Lucas. The most famous instance is Star Wars. As others have mentioned, laserdisc is the highest quality official release of the original trilogy in it's theatrical form (with the exception of the GOUT DVD release which is sourced directly from the laserdisc with no cleanup work). It is also the highest quality official release of the 1997 Special Edition trilogy in it's theatrical form. The 2004 DVD releases use a completely different cut, as do the Blu-Ray. Episode 1 also has an exclusive laserdisc release in Japan. Japan got the theatrical version of Episode 1 on Laserdisc with puppet Yoda. Everyone else got an extended cut. When Episode 2 came out, puppet Yoda was removed in Episode 1 and replaced with a CGI version (which is what you get on all re-releases of Episode 1).

But, it's not limited to Lucas' Star Wars. American Graffiti and THX 1138 have been altered from their original theatrical releases with laserdisc being the only way to see the original theatrical cut. American Graffiti has minor changes, but THX 1138 has a ton of changes, and suffers from the same CGI crap that Star Wars does:
https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=541751

The Matrix laserdisc release is different then the DVD release and is supposedly more true to the theatrical version. The DVD has a green tint throughout the entire picture. I've never seen the laserdisc to compare, so I can't say how different it actually is.

Scream has some laserdisc exclusive content. While it is only 20 seconds worth of additional content, it's somewhat significant.
https://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/07764/10499-AS/Scream:-Directors-Cut

There are some commentary tracks that are exclusive to laserdisc releases. The most famous are the banned commentary tracks for the 3 James Bond Criterion Collection releases. They were recalled and re-released without the commentaries. There are also a lot of commentaries by film historian Ronald Haver that are on Criterion laserdiscs but not always on the re-releases.

In general, laserdisc typically has a more "accurate" version when comparing to the theatrical release (not always true though- IE pan & scan). Soundmixes are typically the original theater mix and not a near-field mix that is present on DVD/BluRay. I've compared several titles over the years and almost always, the laserdisc blows anything else away soundwise.

One of the more well known laserdisc exclusive releases is Michael Mann's The Keep. There was a ton of drama with it's production, he hated the final product, and it has not ever been re-released.

There's a lot more, but this is what I can think of off the top of my head.

#83 3 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

Not sure on laserdisc but I now a few people who use these for old gaming.
retrotink 2x pro line double

Thanks. So you buy one of these converters, connect your LD to it with RCA cables and then RCA cables out of the converter to your hone theatre receiver and that’s that?

Something like this?

J-Tech Digital JTD-0801 Multi-Functional HDMI Converter with 8 Inputs to 1 HDMI Output
by Amazon.com
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008VWGLXO/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_1kccGb7DTKSJ8

#84 3 years ago

Continuing with the discussion about Toy Story and obscure/exclusive content. There's a decent amount of Laserdisc exclusive content.
There's a lot of Disney that has been altered since it's release on Laserdisc. The Beauty and the Beast Work in Progress is the most significant. See the full comparison here:
http://stayornay.com/toons/index.php/2015/05/17/beauty-and-the-beast-work-in-progress-version/
Lion King also has a ridiculous amount of changes in addition to the infamous "SFX" scene.
https://lionking.fandom.com/wiki/The_Lion_King_series_re-release_changes
When a lot of the older Disney was "restored" for DVD/Blu-Ray, colors and details were lost. Cinderella suffered from this in very obvious ways:
https://www.boredpanda.com/disney-animated-movies-ciderella-blu-ray-restoration-ruined-detail/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic
There's always Song of the South which was only released on VHS and a Japanese Laserdisc pressing. That one tends to fetch fairly good money.
The Rescuers and Who Framed Roger Rabbit both have a scene where a naked woman is present for one frame. The animators slipped it in thinking it would be never noticed in the cinema (which it wasn't). It was only noticed on CAV laserdiscs with frame by frame playback capabilities. Both titles were recalled and re-released with the frames removed.
Up until last year with the release of Disney Plus, the only widescreen version of A Goofy Movie was on Laserdisc. Everything else was pan & scan.
There's also some banned Looney Tunes and Tex Avery cartoons only present on laserdisc.
Looking at George Lucas. The most famous instance is Star Wars. As others have mentioned, laserdisc is the highest quality official release of the original trilogy in it's theatrical form (with the exception of the GOUT DVD release which is sourced directly from the laserdisc with no cleanup work). It is also the highest quality official release of the 1997 Special Edition trilogy in it's theatrical form. The 2004 DVD releases use a completely different cut, as do the Blu-Ray. Episode 1 also has an exclusive laserdisc release in Japan. Japan got the theatrical version of Episode 1 on Laserdisc with puppet Yoda. Everyone else got an extended cut. When Episode 2 came out, puppet Yoda was removed in Episode 1 and replaced with a CGI version (which is what you get on all re-releases of Episode 1).
But, it's not limited to Lucas' Star Wars. American Graffiti and THX 1138 have been altered from their original theatrical releases with laserdisc being the only way to see the original theatrical cut. American Graffiti has minor changes, but THX 1138 has a ton of changes, and suffers from the same CGI crap that Star Wars does:
https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=541751
The Matrix laserdisc release is different then the DVD release and is supposedly more true to the theatrical version. The DVD has a green tint throughout the entire picture. I've never seen the laserdisc to compare, so I can't say how different it actually is.
Scream has some laserdisc exclusive content. While it is only 20 seconds worth of additional content, it's somewhat significant.
https://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/07764/10499-AS/Scream:-Directors-Cut
There are some commentary tracks that are exclusive to laserdisc releases. The most famous are the banned commentary tracks for the 3 James Bond Criterion Collection releases. They were recalled and re-released without the commentaries. There are also a lot of commentaries by film historian Ronald Haver that are on Criterion laserdiscs but not always on the re-releases.
In general, laserdisc typically has a more "accurate" version when comparing to the theatrical release (not always true though- IE pan & scan). Soundmixes are typically the original theater mix and not a near-field mix that is present on DVD/BluRay. I've compared several titles over the years and almost always, the laserdisc blows anything else away soundwise.
One of the more well known laserdisc exclusive releases is Michael Mann's The Keep. There was a ton of drama with it's production, he hated the final product, and it has not ever been re-released.
There's a lot more, but this is what I can think of off the top of my head.

Very good points - I did not know about The Keep. That is now again available via streaming thankfully. Yeah the book is better, but the movie is still pretty interesting.

Couple of notes: The Matrix DVD release with the "Extra green tint" is an urban myth to my understanding. The theatrical version *did* have this green tint apparently, but it was not as noticeable until the home release. The initial Bluray is the release that had the REALLY bad overbearing tint. The scenes in the Matrix are supposed to look green, just not as much as the Bluray transfer had applied. I believe they've dialed it back on subsequent releases. Hopefully a 4K transfer eventually.

Also, the Criterion Channel (streaming version of the Collection) rotates movies every couple of months, and some of the "lost" commentaries have resurfaced. Not the Bond ones, AFAIK, but still, pretty cool.

This is making me want to go get a new LD player! LOL

#85 3 years ago

Love Laserdisc! I have a huge list of movies for sale, most $5 and $10. If anyone is interested private message me and I can send the list.

#86 3 years ago
Quoted from atpcfiaim:

I have 3 SAE systems. The only system I have a photo for is my 02 setup. Bi-amped bridged mono for 600 watts per channel at 8 ohms. The speakers are home versions of Altec Lansing Voice of the Theatre, model 19. The A1001 amp is 500 watts per channel at 8 ohms in another system.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Jesus Christ, is that legal???? lol

#87 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Very good points - I did not know about The Keep. That is now again available via streaming thankfully. Yeah the book is better, but the movie is still pretty interesting.
Couple of notes: The Matrix DVD release with the "Extra green tint" is an urban myth to my understanding. The theatrical version *did* have this green tint apparently, but it was not as noticeable until the home release. The initial Bluray is the release that had the REALLY bad overbearing tint. The scenes in the Matrix are supposed to look green, just not as much as the Bluray transfer had applied. I believe they've dialed it back on subsequent releases. Hopefully a 4K transfer eventually.
Also, the Criterion Channel (streaming version of the Collection) rotates movies every couple of months, and some of the "lost" commentaries have resurfaced. Not the Bond ones, AFAIK, but still, pretty cool.
This is making me want to go get a new LD player! LOL

Wow. That's interesting that The Keep is available for streaming. It looks like its a bad rip from a VHS on Amazon Prime though (according to the comments). I've never read the book. I should do that some time.

I've heard some people say that about the Matrix. I really don't know. If it is a myth, then all those people buying it for $300+ on laserdisc for the supposed lack of tint are in for a surprise.

I haven't checked out the Criterion Channel. I keep meaning to, but then I always forget about it. We don't have any smart TVs in the house and don't do a ton of streaming. That's great that the lost commentaries are starting to resurface.

1 year later
#88 2 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Hopefully I can get my raw disc capture solution hammered out soon. I'm basically hacking a standard video capture card so it will digitally sample the signal at about a 3.85 to 1 ratio. I'll probably share a successful decode and playback of something once I get a clean enough signal from the laser in my player.

I forgot about this thread. Here's my Terminator 2 test result using the raw RF signal software decoding/displaying method. This is jacking directly into the laser head pickup and doing all the heavy lifting with a Linux software program to pull out the video, audio, and other digital information stored on the disc. Unparalleled picture and sound quality!

https://www.mediafire.com/file/fgsnks1pxwotarb/terminatortest.mp4/file
v2sKu4H (resized).pngv2sKu4H (resized).png4QEkZk5 (resized).png4QEkZk5 (resized).png03Fmhnu (resized).png03Fmhnu (resized).png

#89 2 years ago

Nice! Thanks for sharing. I've always been curious about the raw capture. What is your preferred de-interlacing mode, or do you leave it interlaced?

#90 2 years ago

Nice! Thanks for sharing. I've always been curious about the raw capture. What is your preferred de-interlacing mode, or do you leave it interlaced?

Yeah it's definitely a new way to preserve LaserDiscs and VHS tapes. I've modified my VCR in a similar fashion. For deinterlacing I used to use Yadif with Avidemux but have found out that QTGMC with Avisynth works a lot better.

#91 2 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Yeah it's definitely a new way to preserve LaserDiscs and VHS tapes. I've modified my VCR in a similar fashion. For deinterlacing I used to use Yadif with Avidemux but have found out that QTGMC with Avisynth works a lot better.

Super interesting advances. Yet another way I can get my Star Wars Definitive Collection discs backed up - hopefully permanently this time!

This reminds me of the high-def photos of vintage vinyl records which are playable by reading the pits and grooves via software scanning.

#92 2 years ago

Just to be clear though, this method requires significant hardware and electronics knowledge and soldering skills. And it also requires a bit of Linux know how involving the terminal. There's this thread for Laserdisc:

https://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2671

And this one for VHS:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/394168-Current-status-of-ld-decode-vhs-decode-%28true-backup-of-RF-signals%29

#93 2 years ago

In defense of Laserdiscs, it is nice to watch movies as they were originally color graded. As an editor, I do understand the want to tweak things into oblivion (ahem, George Lucas). But like with T2, the color grading with the remasters definitely shifted from dark blues and blacks to more oranges and blues.

Sometimes it's like they gave the interns the keys to remaster these films and they do funky things with them that weren't originally intended.

#94 2 years ago

Too much tech talk for me to understand.
I got tons of Animation on Laser Disc
but have not attempted to play any in decades.
I got 3 laser disc players, in case any decide to croak,
Hoping the discs do not deteriorate or delaminate or whatever else might/can go wrong.
Got lots of Disney, Walter Lantz (Woody Woodpecker/Andy Panda), MGM (Tom&Jerry, Tex Avery etc), Warner Bros (Bugs &the Gang),
Paramount (Popeye/Superman/Harveytoons), Columbia (Fox&Crow) plus UPI cartoons
that has yet to be put out onto DVDs.
Should at some point in time transfer to digital.

#95 2 years ago

Just got back into CED. It's a step down from LD, but it's analog and the apex of vinyl technology.

Damn price of the discs have gone up.

#96 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Here's my Technics sa-700 100 watt.
Built from 1978-1979.
Great sharp clean sound and power.
It's out to the shop right now, having all the Capacitors replaced.
It sounded amazing until it crapped out, the Caps lasted 40 years, not bad for a high power reciever.
Hopefully it'll be good for another 40.
Message from the Vintage Freeeek Kingdom
[quoted image][quoted image]

Who are you using to do your recap work? I’m going to need my Kenwood amp worked on. I think it needs some transistors replaced, it’s making an awful crackling noise.

58FC17EF-A81F-4FFC-A47D-566405BCE019 (resized).jpeg58FC17EF-A81F-4FFC-A47D-566405BCE019 (resized).jpeg

#97 2 years ago

I actually saw a CED disc at Goodwill several years ago. I had no clue what it was. Assuming I will never see another one.

2 weeks later
#98 1 year ago

May the 4th be with you! Laserdiscs are still my favorite way (and the best official way) to watch the unedited versions of the original trilogy.

IMG_20220504_121719_125 (resized).jpgIMG_20220504_121719_125 (resized).jpg

#99 1 year ago

May the 4th be with you! Laserdiscs are still my favorite way (and the best official way) to watch the unedited versions of the original trilogy.
[quoted image]

I recently got a player (Pioneer CDL V840) with some karaoke discs, and never thought about this. Now I need to have the original unedited trilogy. Is that definitive collection the unedited version of the film? Or would I have to buy each film individually? The last time I owned the unedited version was on VSH, but I got rid of that like 20 years ago 4F875F09-3EEF-43E6-8085-7A7C54EAF1DD (resized).jpeg4F875F09-3EEF-43E6-8085-7A7C54EAF1DD (resized).jpeg

#100 1 year ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I recently got a player (Pioneer CDL V840) with some karaoke discs, and never thought about this. Now I need to have the original unedited trilogy. Is that definitive collection the unedited version of the film? Or would I have to buy each film individually? The last time I owned the unedited version was on VSH, but I got rid of that like 20 years ago [quoted image]

IMHO, you really don't want that trilogy set in the center of the pic. They are CAV pressings, which means only 30 mins of material on each side of a disc. You'll constantly be changing and switching sides of the discs. The three on the top are nice gatefold editions, CLV pressings, of the original unedited films. They are easy to find and can be purchased reasonably.

The trilogy set, pictured on the center right is really a beautiful set, but it contains the added/updated material. If you're player is AC-3 ready (and you have an rf demodulator), this set offers uncompressed dolby digital 5.1 sound.

There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-do-laserdiscs-or-vintage-home-theaters-stereos/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.