8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by tilted81
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    DSC01934.jpg
    DSC01933.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

Does anyone upgrade their back box and cabinet speakers on their own without doing one of the standard kits?

Seems like it'd be awfully easy to get good quality speakers at a great price from places like www.partsexpress.com, but I never see people share their purchases or ideas.

#2 8 years ago

Folks do all the time. It is usually buried in a machine specific thread.

Tony D did an awesome research and write up on it for Williams pins years ago. I keep the link bookmarked.

http://www.dziedzic.us/wpc_speaker_replacement.html

#3 8 years ago

I did my DW using Tony'a guide including routing out the base cabinet for the larger sub. Easily 1/2 the price of a packaged kit and sounds just as good(if not better.)

#4 8 years ago

Just add a Polk PSW10 subwoofer under the game, you will be blown away by the difference.DSC01933.JPGDSC01933.JPG

I have one under every game in the roomDSC01934.JPGDSC01934.JPG

#5 8 years ago

I went with the Pyramid 4108GS and Pyle PLG64 in my old Sorcerer and Grand Lizard and was pretty happy with the upgrade.
    If I remember correctly the Pyramid set was like, $20(?) and I believe the Pyle (for two) was just under $30.
    So, $50 to improve the sound on two classic machines as well as the small bonus of reducing a bit of the typical Williams SS "hum", was a win-win for me.

Check my "custom" NP speaker standoff posts too... (Patent pending patent pending )
    image.jpgimage.jpg

The external subs sound great and have come down a lot in price but, visually- I like a nice clean floor underneath the games so I tend to choose the stealth sound install/upgrade for my pins.

#6 8 years ago

i just put a Boxter 10" woofer in my GnR, and let me tell you, i dont need a shacker

also installed new 4" speakers in the backbox and a Pinsound card,that PS card is just WOW!!!!

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from Allibaster:

...I never see people share their purchases or ideas.

I'll just leave this here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/addition-of-boss-amplifiers-to-stern-machines

That is the addition of speakers, 2 pre-amped equalizers, and a Polk external subwoofer. Pictures, full description wire by wire, and 3 videos.

#8 8 years ago

Good time to keep a look out on powered subs what w/ Black Friday just around the corner

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-do-diy-speaker-upgrades and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.